New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 42: Life, the Universe and Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    My nominations for funniest moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUeVxnuGo-w Best Fluttershy scene of the season. So nice that even Discord had to cheat to turn her and make the plot advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    My nomination would have to be weaponized pinkie pie.
    All of these are my nominations for funniest moment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Discord, hands down. I mean, who else can turn a glass of chocolate milk into a hand grenade?

Zevox
    Indeed, that was possibly the most awesome Discord moment out of them all. And they were all pretty good.

And if we have a minor character award, Old Derpy was the best.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    'tis a grave burden.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know. It's like an area selecty thing instead of a line highlight like I normally do I don't know.

Okay, I'll try to explain it using maximum incoherence to hopefully enlighten you about my opinions about flow.

“You always had a knack for making me feel better with your scornful words, Bon Bon.”

Italics are a positive, upgoing side of the sentence, bold is a negative, downgoing side of the sentence. This structure isn't inherently bad, but it's often used in the form of "Pretty good for a foreigner!"; i.e. the compliment is a setup for an insult. "Scornful words" isn't an insult, it's a descriptor. It's like the entire thing is a hyperaware descriptor of both personal feeling-better, that Bon Bon is being scornful, and that it's something that happens with regularity. Maaaan. Okay, let me demonstrate some structural alternatives:

ALTERNATIVE 1: Self Awareness.

"Why is it that your insults motivate me so?" Mood: Slow, languid, playful, reflective

ALTERNATIVE 2: Teasing, chastising

"Oh gee, when you put it like that..." Mood: Defensive, sarcastic.

Oh, aye. Pride and Insecurity, may they ever fight.

Kill 'gilded flowers' entirely, it's a terrible descriptor. Here's another few rewrite examples to show what I mean:

Alternative 1: Bitterness

"I was there when that pegasus picked her nose in the middle of a fashion show, and I was there when they started applauding her. I could write a kazoo symphony and they'd cheer it on. Why bother?"

Alternative 2: Sarcasm

"I can see the reviews already," high pitched sarcastic voice, "Oh, that lyrist was simply splendid the way she made the musics. Why, at one point the music seemed to go quite splendidly fast. That was the most splendid part of a splendid performance. Thumbs up."

Truly a serious question deserving of the contemplation of our race's greatest minds.

If you're being sarcastically snooty, then mention the voice and pitch changes in her description, and really be obvious about the difference between her regular voice and her sarcasm voice. You notice how completely Sweetie Belle's voice changes when she's mocking Rarity in Sisterhood Social. "Oh, somepony get that mostrothity a makeover!"

Green Isn't Your Colour. Just sayin'.

Perhaps kind of sliding and rolling around the room?

It's how we great minds communicate.

It's always the answer.

Yar, Will do.

Try to articulate a dream. It's impossible because dreams make no sense. Your whole brain is switched on so you're seeing with your fear and walking with your memory. Trying to describe that is like using a tenth of your mind to describe the entire thing. That's why dreams sound like small children telling stories: "And then I went to the warehouse, and then I saw a dog, and then I was really frightened, and then they were all laughing at me..."

Prince Thanqol Decadion of Adana, second character of mine to carry the name Thanqol in circa 2004. Bit of a snob, really.

The current phrasing is: PUNCHLINE! explaination.

That bad.

I'd just keep the puma/mouse metaphor, or (idea), "Like a Puma on Daring Do". Whatever you do, just don't end it with "Or a pony as it were."

Hmm... well I can see ways for those to be creepy but I'm seeing way more ways for them to be really hammy and terrible.

We know for a fact that ropes can lasso clouds!

I think I prefer them as sub-stories, they don't have the weight (in my mind) to carry a story by themselves.

Hmm. After thinking about it, I'm torn. I feel like both sides have a real case to them; keeping it short and focused, or drawing it out?

Despite all the reservations, doubts and complexities I feel about making this recommendation, I feel like the sentiment is far too strong to be ignored and will stand behind the idea of making this the first part of a longer story, whatever that involves. You've established a lot, but at the moment there's no real climax, and no real difficulty in getting from the introduction to the conclusion. There's no buildup and no payoff. It's a great setup but you haven't really done anything with the setup yet.

One way to do this would make Lyra become a scholar of scary stories, getting each of the mane six to tell her the scariest story they know, Old Stories style with Lyra as the bridge. That would be great.

The other way would be to draw out the relationship between Lyra and the Nighmare, though you've done the possession thing recently so you'd have to come up with a new spin on it. That said, a unique twist could also be really magnificent - Nightmare Lyra, the Symphony of the Night. Nightmare Moon is born of Jealousy after all.

Despite liking the story for what it is, I really have to conclude on a request for more. You have not explored this concept nearly enough.

Thanks. I've gotten some good ideas from all this. And I think I've found a way to add a little finality and meat to the ending. Hopefully it'll help the story.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I think the parentheses broke your line of thought there.
    Geez they totally did. Stupid parentheses (but...but) no, bad parentheses!
    Ahem, anyway, I mentioned that I thought it would have been a single witch rather than an army. I was speculating that Twilight might have actually been sent to some kind of spirit world or magically enhanced prison. Given the spectacular effect, it actually didn't occur to me that Twilight sinking through the floor was her literally sinking through the floor and into the caves below.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Magnet Award for Illogical Shipping
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tom x Rarity
    Luna x Pip
    Celestia x Discord
    Dash x a literal kitchen sink
    Objection!
    Truth resists simplicity.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

The heal/hurt thread reminds me that no list of humorous moments would be complete without the introduction to Crackle the Dragon.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Crackle the Dragon is best pony.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

I like vanilla better too. Soul mates for life.
    (huggle)

Socks Award for Best New Fanon Pony or Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lixie - and I was in no way coerced to say this one.

Feel free to field you own nomination.
    wait
    what
    why am
    what
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    what if....

The new discord voice work is not for a Discord "returning" episode, but rather a flashback episode about The origin of The Alicorn Sisters (Divine Duo) and their fight against Discord to free Equestria?
    That's what I thought as soon as I saw de Lancie talking about doing more voice-acting for MLP.

What I'm hoping for it to be (in the words of ): Backstoryriffic!

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Season 2 Pony Awards!

Let's start things off with gathering nominations for Funniest Moment!

I'll compile them after a few days to a week, and the top 3 will be voted upon once all the nominations for all the categories are complete.

HAVE AT IT!
    Standings so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Monitor EVERYTHING: 1
    Silent Film Parody: 2
    Thy backside is whole and ungobbled!: 1
    Oh Come ON!: 3
    Fluttershy vs. Door: 1
    Rainbow's Hospital Escape: 1
    Fluttershy vs. Discord: 2
    I really love her mane!: 1
    RarityCatchMe!: 2
    Pinkie - Weapon of Mass Annoyance: 2
    Fighting's not really my thing...: 1
    I'm assaulting him with cake!: 1
    I suppose you want to eat me too, or something: 1
    Must be Crackle's cousin...: 1

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    I'm the element of heartburn, but still I must *facehoof*
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Dash x Shipping?

Do I really need to link that fic again?
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

12. - Top - End - #1242

I must say, out of all this talk about the Pony Awards, and no catagory for Best Facial Expression and Most Unnerving Face? Seems that there is a good amount of fuel for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1243

As per the 'what if it were a cliffhanger' discussion here, it would have made children cry. The made their artistic statement by cutting it off at the half-hour mark, and spreading it out wouldn't have done much.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So Villain-off

Night Mare Moon
    DisQord
    or Queen hard-to-spell
    I recommend a mnemonic. Chry ("cry" with an h) Sal (the name) Is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    what if....

The new discord voice work is not for a Discord "returning" episode, but rather a flashback episode about The origin of The Alicorn Sisters (Divine Duo) and their fight against Discord to free Equestria?
    I'd love that, actually. Can't say no to more world building, or more info on the sisters.

Speaking of Discord...What the hay am I looking at?

http://discorderlyconduct.tumblr.com...the-livestream

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Crackle the Dragon is best pony.
    Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Applejack were in disguise, too? How'd they get their costume to look so realistic?

On another note, do most Changelings have individual names, or are they just numbered drones? I know a couple were in leadership positions, but the rest of them just look like identical mooks (though, I'm sure they can differ between themselves when they aren't disguised).

So, ponythread. Anyone up for a thought experiment? Literally, it's an experiment that requires thought, and an experiment with thoughts.

As you know, we had a pause in the pony schedule the Saturday preceding the finale, so that we could have the finale aired together. This, naturally, removed a lot of the tension and anxiety that would appear. My question, and request, is then thus.

Can you, momentarily, try to forget the second half of the finale? Forget it has aired, pretend you have not seen it yet. The last scene you have seen of the show as of now is when a suddenly actually-evil Cadance engulfs Twilight in green fire and diffuses her into the floor.

Can you come up with what your thoughts would be right now, if the show had left you with that cliffhanger for a week? What theories would spring up, what guesses as to the actual events that would follow would you now have? Try to imagine.
    First thought? "Argh!" Technically, I still don't know what her dark secret is, besides the fact that she is evil and magically powerful. I suppose I'd have a few guesses at that point. Though I couldn't have imagined evil faerie ponies.

The villain is trying to seize power (and perhaps the Elements, since Twilight's brother was involved). Cadence is probably an imposter. If she was playing nice for years to get close to Shining Armor, I doubt she'd drop the act when it was most important. There's no evidence Discord was involved. Alternately, Cadence has been possessed by whatever corrupted Luna, and that is the Big Bad. But there isn't hard evidence for that, either.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2012-04-25 at 03:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Responses in bold, my good pony.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's up in the air, but that doesn't mean they are equal, it just means its unstated.

There is also "When Luna returns she beats Celestia and has to be mcguffin'd in order to save the princess". And while NMM beating Celestia then is sort of an obvious on screen thing, any conjecture to Celestia stepping downtown allow the elements to purify Luna is just that: conjecture.

That conjecture swings both ways though. It's unstated about which is more powerful. As for the conjecture...it is. But it makes sense, both going by Celestia's character and what we know of her sisterly love for Luna. If she couldn't bring herself to attack Luna 1000 years ago, she's not going to be able to after 1,000 years of guilt. Any idea on if NMM could really beat Celestia is conjecture, we don't see the fight...assuming there even is one.

The word of Faust that says directly "corrupted by jealousy" which is silly to take as 'jealousy, the outside force, corrupted her'? Or the word of Faust qualified by 'this isn't canon Im just making it up as an idea of how I might handle things'? Because we are told that NMM got jealous and threw a tantrum. The elements cleared her head. This is a direct parallel to how human emotion works, and is along the same lines as princess Cadenza renewing and calming the heart. Dunno about you, but I find "magical, spiritual being under away of emotion" more in line with the show than "magical mind rapist". Especially considering you've got it backwards and parasitic corruption was an early fan theory pushed through on a glut of fan art.

I was referring to an interview where Faust said (or was it her DA account?) that some thing corrupted Luna and pushed her to jealousy/becoming-Nightmare-Moon in the first place. If NMM were simply jealous, then you wouldn't need magical artifacts to 'cure' her, you could do it just by reasoning with her.

For the record though, I'm generally oblivious about what fan theories there are or are popular. The corruption of Luna I got from the DA/Interview and only found out later it was a fan theory before that. Course, there's no proof for it in the show, not really besides an off-hand line or two you need to interpret certain ways. But it's just as possible as Luna just getting jealous and it seems more fitting with what we know of Luna. I can see Luna getting jealous...I can't see her going 'plunge the world into darkness FOREVUH!' out of simple jealousy, not without outside prompting.

I think the show has done a good job of establishing that the consequences of one's outbursts are one's own fault.

When they are in fact one's own fault. We all hold...say...Fluttershy to blame for how far she took Iron Will's teachings, or Rarity's hubris in Sonic Rainboom...but we don't hold them accountable their actions for...say when...Discord...er...discordin' the Mane Cast. They weren't in control of themselves, not entirely, and I don't think anyone blames them for what they might have done while under his influence. Same with Luna, if she was pushed by an outside force, can you entirely blame her for what happened?

That's fine. I'm inclined to see it as a casual exercise of supreme control. There's no effort involved in doing so, and only a trivial amount more in not doing so. For all intents and purposes we are led to believe that the lightning in the sky may as well be the flashing of her eyes. Luna is the night. Whether she's sloppy or masterful is a debate in itself.

Very true, and your interpretation is just as valid of everyone else. You could also see it just as easily that Celestia doesn't indulge in such excercises...even if she did, how would they manifest? I'm honestly stumped by that one...

Yes we do. All the time. Celestia herself said it. We are just rational people able to understand that magnitude does not equate usefulness and thus still view Celestia as superior. It's an implicit part of the lore that Dame Sparkle is the most magically gifted unicorn.

Unicorn, not alicorn. Assuming there is an in-universe distinction between the two. I have no theories about if Celestia or Twilight is more powerful cause we just don't see Celestia get to flex her magical muscles. Most situations she could, it's Twilight that fixes the problem, sometimes under guidance of Celestia herself. Celestia's ability is nebulous. We only have two concrete benchmarks. Weaker then Discord (which is like calling the ocean wet, everypony is weaker then Discord) and weaker then the Changeling Queen powered by Shining Armor's love. Both benchmarks are...not too useful honestly, but I doubt we'll ever get to see Celestia strut her stuff...unless De Lancie's mentioned episode really is a flashback one...and I'm not sure which I'd prefer. On one hand, HISTORY. On the other...DISCORD BACK!

I disagree. Again, that is law. Justice includes extenuating in its very definition.
    "reasonable". As much as I'd appropriate or fair; moderate.
    You cannot tell me, after agreeing that justice is defined as fair and moderate application of the law, tell me it throws out fair and moderate with a straight face. Well, maybe you could. But then I'd be sad.

That's why I use the term 'blind justice' and not justice. I agree that justice is defined in that fashion. However blind justice ignores the fair and moderate part of justice's definition, which is what I meant. In other words, blind justice is in-justice more often then not.

I'm with you there.

Glad we do! It's fun to debate with you.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

Watched 25-26 again and found one thing I didn't liked in hindsight:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why exactly Mane 6 were asked to do anything? I liked Best Night Ever in that it shown the Mane 6 aren't Mary Sues and are way out of their league with veteran professionals - cooks, designers, musicians, etc. Why then they were asked to do anything for very important wedding? Trollestia wanted to crash third party in Canterlot in a row?

I mean, AJ was established as good, but very down to earth cook, hating fancy foods. Why not ask the Cakes to make cake? Or Donut Joe? Gustave, even? They just won very big awards, AJ didn't even qualified for that competition. Why ask quiet, easily scared birds to provide music? They would be barely audible, plus, fans would love them some Octavia and Co. Fluttershy apparently can't even pick good birds for the occasion. Same with Pinkie - "Cadence" had a point it would be great birthday party for a foal, but wouldn't exactly fit a wedding.

The only way I can make sense out of this, is that Shining Armor asked for them specifically, but seeing Twilight didn't bothered to tell the girls about her brother, her saying anything to Armor when she stated she stopped seeing him is rather improbable. So, was it Trollestia? I don't know, it feels very... fanfic-ey in hindsight.

Oh, and interesting pic:

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe next title should really be some fanon crushing

Also, page 42, and no one posted any thanks or fishes. Ponies, I'm disappoint :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized. With minor modifications, my Harmonic Titan Megazord picture (the latest one, with caption) could make a great "Dynamic Entry! Flying Tackle Hug!" image. Just need to remove the beam, add motion lines and redraw hands to be open. *makes a note in planner*
    Yeah, that sucker needs to open up the battle by glomping the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Says the illithid who hangs out with a pony of madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    We have seen Celestia undue Twilight's magic instantaneously when Twi herself couldn't do it (lesson 0), so it could just be we aren't going to see Celestia solve any villain problems. Especially since they only happen a few times a season, it would be hard to justify having the Sun Princess fly over and melt the face off an opponent.
    Y'know, I'd actually like to see this in an episode sometime. They build up the Elements vs Villain, maybe Celestia's off on a diplomatic meeting or something, then just before the mane 6 can do anything or just as the villain gets the upper hand Celestia pops up, pulls a lolwut and nukes the villain like it was nothing. Just to give back her power as the sun goddess and because let's face it, we'd all totally expect the mane 6 to figure out how to beat the villain in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, that was something that bothered me in those episodes. Back in Lesson Zero and Hearts and Hooves Day that sort of thing was handled as it should be - as a very bad, creepy thing. Cadence's power though they seemed to be spinning as a good thing, which is itself pretty creepy.

Zevox
    I'm going with that spell being closer to a Calm Emotions effect. The two ponies were already a couple, they were just having an argument over something pretty pointless. All Cadence's spell did was make them calm down before either of them said something they'd regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Yeah, my personal view is that it was more of a Calm Emotions type spell. She's not forcing them to be in love, just reducing the anger to remind them that they are in love.

Similar to Twilight's memory spell from RoH part 2. It's a reminder, not a brainwash.
    CURSE YOU DAY-OLD NINJAS!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hey,. that reminds me, everypony prod Thanqol on Easy as Lying!

*prod, prod*
    *prod, prod*
    Oh! Oh! I'll get Fluttershy!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Alright, who's going to make this? WHO?!
    >_>
    <_<
    I was actually planning on making a little comic out of that. Before it was brought up. Curse you Ponythread ninjaing everything I want to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Has anyone seen there eyes when the colors are inverted? Bloody creepy, yet you cannot look away....
    Dear gods how horrifying...

Muhahahahahaha.......

Oh, I do so love the feeling in which you scar the mind of someone vi internet connection. But now I feel bad, so this is my apology.
    Hahahahahahahaha!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Heh. More seriously, though, there are a lot of candidates in those episodes. My pick for "most disturbing scene" would be "Cadence" casting that "healing" spell on Shining Armor.

Heck, let's just make a list of all the scary things that are now canon thanks to this episode:
    • Lethal weapons
    • Standing armies
    • Martial law
    • Shapingshifting insect creatures that replace those closest to you and feed off your love
    • Magenta eyes for Vinyl Scratch

Did I miss anything?
    I dunno, I still think the creepiest part was Chrysalis' big reveal. I mean really, this part's just terrifying.
    Spoiler
    Show

It has my vote for best villain reveal in the entire series, and even beats out a good number from other shows. It doesn't help that the changelings are creepy as hell to begin with.

I'm not sure how much stock we can place on the changeling's ability to pass undetected. My theory was that Chrysalis leaked the threat to Canterlot in order to ensure that Princess Celestia and Shining Armor would be too distracted to pay close attention to her behavior, which would indicate Chrysalis didn't have much faith that her disguise could fool somepony who knew Cadence well (look how quickly Twilight became suspicious of her).
    They seem to suffer from the typical changeling problems, specifically that their ability to mimic their target is limited. It's possible that they prefer to trap their target somewhere, possibly to establish some link to them so they can keep up at least a vague semblance of their personality. Normally they probably stick them in one of those cocoons, but the mines under Canterlot are probably more effective. Either that or they spend a good amount of time studying their target, but I doubt that would work too well when it's love they're after so they'd need to spend time alone with their victim. Chrysalis probably did need the threat to Canterlot to keep them distracted enough that they wouldn't realize she was a fake, but when you look at the way Cadence acts compared to Chrysalis when she's disguised as Cadence there's a pretty significant difference in personality that I'm sure anyone would notice pretty quick.

I don't know if it deserves to beat out Season Two Ruined My Fanon, but now that season 2 is done, I'd like to present my counter to it:

My Fanon Survived Season 2 (And All I Got Was This Thread Title)
    I vote this.

HSS! (I'm in an awkward spot where the story's nearing a point of complete mental development but has started asking me if it'd be better off as a serious-business human novel rather than a ponyfic)
    This correct answer is no. Everything is better with pony. Also:

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Okay, let's see if I can focus y'all long enough to make this worth doing.

Let's now start the...

Season 2 Pony Awards!

Let's start things off with gathering nominations for Funniest Moment!

I'll compile them after a few days to a week, and the top 3 will be voted upon once all the nominations for all the categories are complete.

HAVE AT IT!
    Ohhhh, that's a tough one. Definitely has to be a Pinkie Pie moment, let's go with...
    Weaponized Pinkie
    Oh come ON!
    Crackle

This is Sean 'J' Mirrsen, chiming in with another of his ridiculous theories.
    So lemme get this straight. You believe that Celestia moves the earth around the sun instead of the other way around? Interesting theo- BURN THE HERETIC!

No, two planets can't have parallel orbits because their mutual gravity would mean they'd start orbiting each other, and thus would still be in a sort of double-moon relationship, like Pluto and Charon. Now, if gravity were not in effe.......

*pulls up Theory of Pegasus Magic*

"...innate pegasus magic may in fact be described as magical Star Trek intertial dampening fields, negating the forces acting on the pegasus and any objects it is in contact with, with a power proportional to the force of will of the pegasus and the degree of focus it can achieve..."

...the magic field from the ponies living on the planet doesn't just generate friction. It prevents the planet from being pulled by the star's gravity. The Moon was likely just another orbiting body, but was essentially taken control of once the magical ponies appeared. Celestia doesn't just alter the orbit of the planet, she literally drags it through space. The Moon, while likewise controlled, would simply "fly alongside", but when Nightmare Moon was locked away and the control over it was lost, gravity took over. For 1000 years, the Moon was orbiting the planet normally, hence the phases of the Moon seen on Nightmare Night decorations. Only once NMM returned and took control of it again did it resume its normal "fly-along" route.

The lack of intertia from forced rotation of the planet and the seemingly impossible maneuverability of it are likewise explained by this principle. When all objects on the planet lie within the same inertial field, it can be spun wildly without adverse effects, like Rainbow Dash could catch and carry four other ponies through what would be several thousand G's of acceleration without issue, when her own magic was in overdrive during her Rainboom performance.
    What if the ponies are the physical manifestation of various laws of physics? Every pegasus is a small part of the law of gravity and the laws that dictate weather patterns. Celestia and Luna are the laws of gravity as they affect other celestial bodies, earth ponies are the natural order that causes plants to grow, and unicorns are damn well near everything. What if the pony population inversely affects the natural forces in the world. If the entire world was populated by pegasi, weather would cease to function on it's own and gravity would fail. If it was an entire race of Lunas and Celestias then orbits would vanish completely, and if nothing but earth ponies vegetation would stop growing completely unless someone's there to nurture it. The ponies themselves break the fundamental laws of reality anywhere they live. The Everfree is unaffected by this because the large number of dangerous creatures have prevented the ponies from populating it, maintaining it's natural order.

So Villain-off

Night Mare Moon
    DisQord
    or Queen hard-to-spell

Also, post-season ponythread predictions

Slow down
    Ponysanity now without anything to sate it, threadsplosion
    I'm going with Chrysalis. I still don't like classifying Discord as a villain or as evil. He's definitely evil and villainous, but he just doesn't sit in the same category as the other two. Chrysalis, on the other hand, is a creature that feeds off of love and managed to bring Canterlot to it's knees. (I still love Discord, but I really don't like trying to fit him in the same category as Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon. They're waaaay too different.)

So, ponythread. Anyone up for a thought experiment? Literally, it's an experiment that requires thought, and an experiment with thoughts.

As you know, we had a pause in the pony schedule the Saturday preceding the finale, so that we could have the finale aired together. This, naturally, removed a lot of the tension and anxiety that would appear. My question, and request, is then thus.

Can you, momentarily, try to forget the second half of the finale? Forget it has aired, pretend you have not seen it yet. The last scene you have seen of the show as of now is when a suddenly actually-evil Cadance engulfs Twilight in green fire and diffuses her into the floor.

Can you come up with what your thoughts would be right now, if the show had left you with that cliffhanger for a week? What theories would spring up, what guesses as to the actual events that would follow would you now have? Try to imagine.
    I actually noticed that part would have been when the first episode would have ended, and promptly thanked Hasbro for not making me wait a week after that. Seriously. Most evil cliffhanger EVER. My theories would have followed what my theories actually were at the time, that we were getting back into Nightmare Moon territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *Gates several brontoscorpios onto Thanqol.

Giant not-scorpions for giant Thanqol!

Don't you think that's a bit excessive?

Naaaah, he's Australian. He's like, immune to poison or something. I mean, I'm not even sure whether they had poison at this stage...

Hey Thanqol, for SCIENCE? Are those dozens of stings you're getting poisoned or what?

If it helps, try not to look like a trilobite, worm or a fish!
    ...So you just sent giant, extremely poisonous scorpions at an Australian. You realize he's going to tame them or something right? He'll be riding on one while swinging the other around by it's tail as a flail. You've doomed us all!

18. - Top - End - #1248

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

Spoiler
    Show

...So you just sent giant, extremely poisonous scorpions at an Australian. You realize he's going to tame them or something right? He'll be riding on one while swinging the other around by it's tail as a flail. You've doomed us all!
    Formost, link is broken.

Second, naw, he would presumably tie two of there tails together and create a pair of Scorpo-chucks. Then he tames the were-thylacines and begins his nation-building.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Second, naw, he would presumably tie two of there tails together and create a pair of Scorpo-chucks. Then he tames the were-thylacines and begins his nation-building.
    I can unlive with either of those...

And with that, I must bid you adieu, until hopefully tomorrow, when (fingers crossed) I can get normal net access back.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Says the illithid who hangs out with a pony of madness.
    Hey now, be fair. She's not a pony of madness, she just didn't come out of the Bio-Engineering Vats that I had stolen borrowed the use of from the AOTRS quite as planned.
    Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure they were even Bio-Engineering Vats. It's hard to tell sometimes.

Still, the whole process was a lot more successful than the previous efforts.

Anyway, Changelings? I am in no doubt that though they mostly looked the same that they would be individuals, with names and differing personalities. Sure, they didn't have the time to spend establishing or disproving this, but it just seems the most likely way they'd go if they had been interested in investigating such an issue.
    If nothing else, if they tended towards Drones then they wouldn't be very good at establishing fake identities, and wouldn't likely see so much need for names. Conversely, we know that the Queen has a name, had something resembling a childhood and certainly wasn't lacking in personality.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Interesting. I think Discord trumps the other two, but he also purposely withholds his power and seems to enjoy playing games and giving the good guys a chance to win even when he doesn't have to.

I'd say Chrysalis is actually the most dangerous. She was the most willing to directly use her power of the three and could ambush anypony.
    In terms of threat? You just can't do anything against Discord unless he's toying with you. Oddly enough, this makes him less terrifying than Chrysalis. Think about it: If you can't defend yourself at all, then eventually you'll stop trying and resign yourself to your fate. Chrysalis, on the other hand is dangerous precisely because she and her changeling army give you an out. You just have to keep a close eye on your loved ones at all times, wondering if they're acting off because they're having a bad day or because they've been replaced, or if your headache is from all the stress or because a changeling has slipped under your radar... or you could just sever all ties with society and become a paranoid hermit, never letting anyone come close because they might be one of them.

Nightmare Moon is an odd case. Sure, she'd kill off all life on the surface of the planet with endless night if she one, but she's too ineffective to be all that scary. I mean, if the best she can do to defend herself is make her enemies run through a series of challenges, each one tailored to a different pony's particular strengths, I can't imagine she'll get very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    That would be pretty nice. And I'm not sure it would make much sense for him to return in any other manner, seeing as how the only reason he escaped in the first place was Celly and Luna losing their connection to the EoH, which means the mane cast would need to lose their connection in order for him to escape.
    Outside help?

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    On another note, do most Changelings have individual names, or are they just numbered drones? I know a couple were in leadership positions, but the rest of them just look like identical mooks (though, I'm sure they can differ between themselves when they aren't disguised).
    Oh, so one changeling is just the same as another to you?! You disgust me, you--

I mean, of course they don't have names. Ha, ha, ha. As I human, I automatically assume that humans are the only sapient creatures in the universe. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go excrete my young out of a bodily orifice, as is customary among humans. Ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Why exactly Mane 6 were asked to do anything? I liked Best Night Ever in that it shown the Mane 6 aren't Mary Sues and are way out of their league with veteran professionals - cooks, designers, musicians, etc. Why then they were asked to do anything for very important wedding? Trollestia wanted to crash third party in Canterlot in a row?
    I... completely did not notice that. That is pretty weird.

Maybe it's a reward? Like from a contest? You know, once you've saved Equestria enough times, you get to trade in the boxtops for a free chance to host a wedding?

It could also work as a personal request from the couple. Sure, they don't know any of the Mane Six except Twilight personally, but they must have heard of them (I'm personally of the theory that the Nightmare Moon and Discord incidents got covered up, but the Captain of the Guard would likely have need-to-know). "Hey, baby, ever wanted to meet the Elements of Harmony? My sister's a member. I could totally get them to play at our wedding."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

The above reason is why I still think that Trixie would've made a better villain, as she would've invited the Mane 6 to the wedding to get her revenge, and not professionals. She would've had an actual reason to invite all of them over.

instead we got Changeling Queen, who came out of nowhere.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #1253

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I... completely did not notice that. That is pretty weird.

Maybe it's a reward? Like from a contest? You know, once you've saved Equestria enough times, you get to trade in the boxtops for a free chance to host a wedding?

It could also work as a personal request from the couple. Sure, they don't know any of the Mane Six except Twilight personally, but they must have heard of them (I'm personally of the theory that the Nightmare Moon and Discord incidents got covered up, but the Captain of the Guard would likely have need-to-know). "Hey, baby, ever wanted to meet the Elements of Harmony? My sister's a member. I could totally get them to play at our wedding."
    The whole Mane 6 are kept in relative media quiet by Celestia by necessity, but 'princess wedding built from the ground up by the saviors of equestria'... Can't pass that one up.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The above reason is why I still think that Trixie would've made a better villain, as she would've invited the Mane 6 to the wedding to get her revenge, and not professionals. She would've had an actual reason to invite all of them over.

But if Trixie was the Cadence impersonator , Celestia would have been able to just curbstomp her once she revealed herself. Not to mention I doubt Trixie would be capable of that spell the Queen used on Twi' at the end of part one.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-04-25 at 05:40 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

25. - Top - End - #1255

So did Discord. The thing about this show is that we are far more likely to get a new pony as a foe than build up on a old one. Trixie has as much of a chance as showing up again as Gilda or the Flim-Flam brothers, AKA almost nich.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1256

Having the fake Cadence be Trixie would have just been bizarre. She's a showpony who performs magic tricks* and ascribes ridiculous accomplishments to herself. Replacing a princess would be way out of her league. Besides, if her goal is just to get revenge on Twilight, there are ways to use shapeshifting powers to that end that don't involve crossing the Captain of the Royal Guard or the Princess of the Sun.

*And not particularly powerful magic tricks, at that. She has breadth, but no depth, as they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

I mean, AJ was established as good, but very down to earth cook, hating fancy foods. Why not ask the Cakes to make cake? Or Donut Joe? Gustave, even? They just won very big awards, AJ didn't even qualified for that competition. Why ask quiet, easily scared birds to provide music? They would be barely audible, plus, fans would love them some Octavia and Co. Fluttershy apparently can't even pick good birds for the occasion. Same with Pinkie - "Cadence" had a point it would be great birthday party for a foal, but wouldn't exactly fit a wedding.

The only way I can make sense out of this, is that Shining Armor asked for them specifically, but seeing Twilight didn't bothered to tell the girls about her brother, her saying anything to Armor when she stated she stopped seeing him is rather improbable. So, was it Trollestia? I don't know, it feels very... fanfic-ey in hindsight.
    I disagree with the notion that Best Night Ever somehow establishes that the Mane Six somehow can't compare quality wise with professional ponies. Its not even on the radar for that episode.

Also I'd note that AJ and Fluttershy are playing the exact same role they did in the very first episode, positions they won before even knowing Twilight. Rarity is in a similar case and has been established as a designer how often? Celestia was present for Dashie's Sonic Rainboom. And she's been receiving all the letters so she is clearly familiar with Pinkie. At this point if Celestia is half as wise as she supposed to be, then she knows the Mane Six are up to any task.

I see Celestia's hoof in all of this, given that she is the one who made the offer in a personal letter. I'm sure she suggested it to the couple and Chrysalis didn't care while Shining thought it a great idea.

Would there be better ponies available... possibly.

Would those other ponies also grant the bonus of having the EoH on hand when Canterlot is being threatened... nope.

Remember the shield was already up when the specific invitation was sent. I say Celestia played the Chessmistress masterfully.

28. - Top - End - #1258

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Would those other ponies also grant the bonus of having the EoH on hand when Canterlot is being threatened... nope.

Remember the shield was already up when the specific invitation was sent. I say Celestia played the Chessmistress masterfully.
    My god Celesita managed to pull another Batman.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1259

Problem with that theory: when they needed the Elements, they still had to go and get them. Yes, the relevant ponies were already in Canterlot, but it should have been feasible to get five of the six to wear their regalia under their bridesmaid dresses. And yet there's no indication that was even considered. (Also, I tend to suspect Celestia wasn't thinking all that straight anyway when she said to get the Elements, on account of "that chamber is protected by a powerful spell that only I can break," last we heard.)

Also of note: AJ and Fluttershy aren't the only ones reprising their SSC roles. Rarity is decorating again, just a different set of things; Rainbow Dash's tasks on both occasions can be summarized as "atmospheric effects"; and Twilight was in a supervisory role. Only Pinkie, who had no official role last time, can't easily be slotted in.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree with the notion that Best Night Ever somehow establishes that the Mane Six somehow can't compare quality wise with professional ponies. Its not even on the radar for that episode.
    Rainbow Dash vs Wonderbolts. AJ's food vs that of the castle cooks. Pinkie having no idea how party for adults looks like. Rarity trying to pull noble-like behaviour and ending looking like a gold digger (her second attempt in S2 was much more successful). Octavia. Basically, Mane Six ran into their counterparts doing these things for a living, and walked away with their flanks kicked instead of outperforming them.

Also I'd note that AJ and Fluttershy are playing the exact same role they did in the very first episode, positions they won before even knowing Twilight.
    Difference being, they were picked to provide food and music for a festival in a small time city hall. They might have been best in town. Now, they are asked to provide wedding cake, which is task requiring very high level skills, and provide music for momentous occasion, to which they reply by failing to pick adequate birds. In city with far better access to luxury craftsponies.

Basically, it's like provincial theather from Nebraska was picked over Broadway to provide actors for Barack Obama's formal event.

At this point if Celestia is half as wise as she supposed to be, then she knows the Mane Six are up to any task.
    Yeah, crashing 2 of 2 Canterlot parties they attended, I agree

Spoiler
    Show

These other ponies would allowed EoH to be kept together, armed and mobilized, not distracted and divided, so that villain could isolate them and win them over. Remember how much good EoH did last time when 1 member was missing?

It's like recalling aircraft Carriers from Pacific just after Pearl Harbor, so that the president could use them as a private yacht, not keeping them mobilized on the front line. How long Chrysalis would have gloated over fallen Celestia if the elements could have been fired right there? Instead, their combat readiness was as high as if Mane Six were on the Moon. Zero.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"