New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #859 - The Discussion Thread

Wow.

The major advantage of this is actually the same as that of the Smoke Stick - it prevents communication and coordination between the Linear Guild. Even if a few people aren't affected (such as Tarquin), the rest is still deafened. The smoke stick effectively blinds them regardless of the effects of the spell. Now they can't properly work together, especially since they're not a close team to start with!
    Add Sabine getting banished (and possibly Quar as well) and the Mummies being destroyed and this is one hell of an opening salvo.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    ETA: Or not. It allows a will save. Given this is OOTS , assume Sabine makes a natural 20 .
    Hey now, you don't know that. Being gone for a day would be a great way to set back the LG without removing Sabine from the story entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

It's strange, but this is the first time I've actually been excited to see what happens next for years, rather than having a mildly masochistic interest in how the Order is going to get kicked around next episode.

Bravo, bravo!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    Time to google "Holy". Nice update. :D
    I would hazard a guess that it was Holy Word.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuel View Post
    Actually, no, that would be "me neither." But "me too" works as well.
    Neither is basically not + either put together. But how does "me too" work? Z'zdtri is agreeing with the negative statement "I can't see". Neither would be inappropriate because there's already a "not" in the sentence, and neither already contains "not". In either the pair (do, neither) or the pair (don't, either), there must be one and only one 'n' (not).

I hate Mary. I hate her too. Me too. So do I. <-- "I hate" is affirmative.
    I don't like Mary. I don't like her either. Me neither. Neither do I. <--- "I don't like" is negative
    I hope she won't complain. I hope so too. Me too. So do I. <--- "I hope" is affirmative. You are referring to "I hope".
    I hope she won't complain. I hope her father won't complain either. <---- This is the same as the one just above, but here you are referring to "won't complain", which is negative.
    I don't think she will complain. I don't think so either. Me neither. Neither do I. <--- "don't think" is negative.
    Link
    Last edited by Finagle; 2012-07-26 at 12:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

Well that trap avoided Qarr being dismissed AND made it not reveal Malack's alignment -- well played.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The last panel pretty much shows that unlike Redcloak and that nameless Azurite High Priest, Durkon knows how to make Cleric spells flashy.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Neither is basically not + either put together. But how does "me too" work? Z'zdtri is agreeing with the negative statement "I can't see". Neither would be inappropriate because there's already a "not" in the sentence, and neither already contains "not". In either the pair (do, neither) or the pair (don't, either), there must be one and only one 'n' (not).

I hate Mary. I hate her too. Me too. So do I. <-- "I hate" is affirmative.
    I don't like Mary. I don't like her either. Me neither. Neither do I. <--- "I don't like" is negative
    I hope she won't complain. I hope so too. Me too. So do I. <--- "I hope" is affirmative. You are referring to "I hope".
    I hope she won't complain. I hope her father won't complain either. <---- This is the same as the one just above, but here you are referring to "won't complain", which is negative.
    I don't think she will complain. I don't think so either. Me neither. Neither do I. <--- "don't think" is negative.
    Link
    People aren't robots. People talk like people. Not robots.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

9. - Top - End - #129

Chimera

This is what happens when you let Nale do the planning. In a battle of wits against Roy.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Neither is basically not + either put together.
    Correct. "Me neither" = "I cannot either." "Me either" is just gibberish.

Z'zdtri is agreeing with the negative statement "I can't see". Neither would be inappropriate because there's already a "not" in the sentence, and neither already contains "not". In either the pair (do, neither) or the pair (don't, either), there must be one and only one 'n' (not).
    They are two different sentences. Each requires its own negation.

(The person you quoted actually backs me up on this. You may want to go read it again.)

But how does "me too" work?
    By being understood. Colloquial English doesn't always follow the rules, and that's okay.

(If it makes you feel any better, "I can't see" is construed here as "I am unable to see," to which "me too" is a reasonable response.)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is getting good. I particularly can't wait to see how they plan to incapacitate Tarquin before moving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    My estimate is the above + Sabine being banished.
    I'm almost certain she will be. Getting sent back to her home plane would give her a chance to chat with the Fiends about her loyalties, and maybe get a bit more cryptic foreshadowing in.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I wonder if the Holy Word spell was chosen specifically because most of the Linear Guild have level adjustments, thereby making the spell a lot more likely to work on them.

If you assume that the core of the Linear Guild are all of comparable character levels to their OOtS counterparts, that would put the Drow at -2 HD due to level adjustment, possibly leading to paralysis for a minimum of one minute. Given the way that Zz'dtri is tilted back with a panicked look in the last panel, this may be a sign of falling off balance due to paralysis.

The templated Kobold is also almost certainly going down for the count due to a huge level adjustment from those wings.

As a Succubus has a whopping +6 LA, Sabine likely has a REALLY bad Will save (especially as her actual class levels are likely as a slow Will progression Rogue). Adding in the -4 penalty from the spell and she is almost certainly gone for the next 24 hours.

Of course, given the way that Durkon and Malik seem to respect each other, I wonder if Malik had to be protected from the spell by the trap wall in order for Durkon to agree to using that spell on the rest of the party.

The only immediate problem is Tarquin, whose ability to solo most of the OoTS without difficulty suggests that he is well above them in level, and thus likely immune to the spell's effects.
    Last edited by Essex; 2012-07-26 at 12:36 PM.
    There's a dwarfish saying: "All trees are felled at ground-level" -although this is said to be an excessively bowdlerized translation for a saw which more literally means, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth." -Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    The last panel pretty much shows that unlike Redcloak and that nameless Azurite High Priest, Durkon knows how to make Cleric spells flashy.
    One of the advantages of worshipping Thor, in addition to all the sacred beer, that is.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a holier word than 'holy'. Especially for a cleric of Thor: 'Beer'. Would have meant the unholy word was 'lager'.

(Probably ninja'd. Haven't read all the thread yet.)
    To speed up forum loading, you can turn off Signatures, Avatars and/or Images separately from one another. See 'Visible Post Elements' under 'Thread Display Options' under 'Edit Options' in the User CP (Control Panel). Only works once you're logged in, though.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I love how Tarquin is pretty much mocking Nale in the midst of this chaos.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    This is what happens when you let Nale do the planning. In a battle of wits against Roy.
    Hey, he completely outsmarted him in Cliffport.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Of course, given the way that Durkon and Malik seem to respect each other, I wonder if Malik had to be protected from the spell by the trap wall in order for Durkon to agree to using that spell on the rest of the party.
    No. OotS is not yet aware of Malik's and Tarquin's presence in the LG, so it's pretty certain that was not a consideration.

A more important consideration is Tarquin's promise to Malik to leave Durkon to him (Malik).

18. - Top - End - #138
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wonder if the Holy Word spell was chosen specifically because most of the Linear Guild have level adjustments, thereby making the spell a lot more likely to work on them.
    Oh, I kinda thought the ECL was what counted, not the level from classes? So that a lvl 14 character with ECL+2 would count as lvl 16, for the purpose of this spell? But I was unsure about it.

19. - Top - End - #139

But how does "me too" work?
    "I, too, cannot see." "Me too" is a common substitution for "I too". Or if you like, read it as "That is true for me, too."

For the record, I vote for "Nor I."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weeping eagle View Post
    "I, too, cannot see." "Me too" is a common substitution for "I too". Or if you like, read it as "That is true for me, too."

For the record, I vote for "Nor I."
    "Nor I" would fit right in with the dark elf's personality, too.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Oh, I kinda thought the ECL was what counted, not the level from classes? So that a lvl 14 character with ECL+2 would count as lvl 16, for the purpose of this spell? But I was unsure about it.
    Nope. The spell specifically states that it is based on Hit Dice. Neither CR nor ECL matter. That makes the spell lousy for fighting high HD monsters with party appropriate CRs, but great for going up against members of theoretically playable races.
    Last edited by Essex; 2012-07-26 at 12:57 PM.
    There's a dwarfish saying: "All trees are felled at ground-level" -although this is said to be an excessively bowdlerized translation for a saw which more literally means, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth." -Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #142
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    ECL counts for XP, expected character wealth, and what level party you're "supposed to be" in. Nothing else.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder what Blasphemy/Dictum/Word of Chaos would look like?

Blasphemy
    Speech Balloon: Something you'd see on a metal band t-shirt.
    Effect: Evil tendtrils

Word of Chaos
    Speech Balloon: Random each time, so you'd get something like ¢#@0$
    Effect: Trippy and distorted

Dictum
    Speech Balloon: 01000100 01101001 01100011 01110100 01110101 01101101
    Effect: I can't think of anything here

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ouch. Looks like it's time for Durkon's 'posthumous return' to the Dwarven lands.
    Goodness gracious, Great Balls of Fire!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuel View Post
    By being understood. Colloquial English doesn't always follow the rules, and that's okay.
    What is this "English" you speak of? I have never heard of it before.

Besides, think about how dull life would be without those wacky grammar nazis? The author has shown himself able to use semicolons correctly; but baffling usage errors creep in far too often. He even makes grammar jokes. Live by the sword, die by the sword. It's the principal of the thing.

EDIT: Hey! I just noticed that principle is now used in that comic instead of the original principal. Hurrah!
    Last edited by Finagle; 2012-07-26 at 01:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

: Typical. The dwarf casts one spell and bypasses the drow's spell resistance.
    Last edited by JSSheridan; 2012-07-26 at 01:34 PM.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JSSheridan View Post
    : Typical. The dwarf casts one spell and bypasses the drow's spell resistance.
    Applause...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    Well that trap avoided Qarr being dismissed AND made it not reveal Malack's alignment -- well played.
    I doubt Malack is Good, which means the Word wouldn't have revealed much.

As far as Durkon dying, I predict that either Malack or Team Evil will be the cause, so he should be fine where he's at for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #149

BlackDragon

We don't know for sure that affected characters are equal or lower level than Durkon, because we don't know what, if any, feats or magic items may be boosting Durkon's effective caster level. So with that in mind, how high could Durkon boost his CL for this? Assume he has every possible way to increase it.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the gnomes of war! Or something...

30. - Top - End - #150

For that to be true he'd need to know what each trap did (possible), and also have some backup spell (which would also have to be 'just the spell for that') in case Malack walked beyond the door's space or in case Sabine didn't accidently trigger the door (I assume that's the trap her tail triggered).