New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    They ARE technical exercises; meant to be used as training in some particular skill or technique.
    Yes, but they don't have to feel like one too.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Part time job at stables allows you to learn how to deal with horses and provides money if you want to get into equitation.
    If only finding employment in this day and age were so easy.
    I wonder if Westpac has responded to my application yet...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Yes, but they don't have to feel like one too.
    Some are more subtle than others about it; sometimes it's because the technique is particularly egregious; sometimes the performer tries to make it look like one to show off even more.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Ele, I swear you just made that wall of post so only the truely devoted would bother responding.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Ele, I swear you just made that wall of post so only the truely devoted would bother responding.
    Indeed. I spent half an hour compiling that simply to inconvenience myself.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Wonderful, nervous breakdown.

AGAIN.

I hate how stressful school is. This is killing me.

Not literally. Just...

I'm really scared.

ACtually, I probably should post in the Dep thread, if that place didn't make me feel worse. Can I just get hugs from you guys and make the Bad Things go away?
    *cuddles and gives ten kittens to cuddle*

Is there a Nibbles and a Sheepie about? We need'a practise our SC2 dying against other peoples

ION: My hair is short. Really short. Should I post before and after pictures and have people judge me and giggle?

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    *cuddles and gives ten kittens to cuddle*

Is there a Nibbles and a Sheepie about? We need'a practise our SC2 dying against other peoples

ION: My hair is short. Really short. Should I post before and after pictures and have people judge me and giggle?
    Visit so I can laugh in person. Mum will be home this weekend.
    Also, tell me what you're getting me for Christmas! I have an idea, but I don't want to say anything so hurry up and spoil the surprise already!

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

Visit so I can laugh in person. Mum will be home this weekend.
    Also, tell me what you're getting me for Christmas! I have an idea, but I don't want to say anything so hurry up and spoil the surprise already!
    I'm not telling you. Besides, I have James coming over on the weekend and staying Saturday night. /slyly-winks I would come over otherwise. Perhaps sometime early next week?

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    His life was over.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not telling you. Besides, I have James coming over on the weekend and staying Saturday night. /slyly-winks I would come over otherwise. Perhaps sometime early next week?
    Gah! The suspense is killing me!
    And you already know I disapprove of that situation so I won't comment on it further.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

If snow falls, then it doesn't count because that's precipitated moisture.
    Admittedly, it's in a solid crystallised form, but it makes no difference.
    Try drinking it. Just because you live next to the ocean doesn't mean you're immune to droughts either. Our trees drop their leaves for one reason, and it's not because it's cold (which our evergreens handle just fine).

Depends where you planted them. But usually, no. Most non-native plants that people around here grow are from Mediterranean or tropical/subtropical climates. That's not to say you can't grow others, but they need to be particularly resilient and not be of the kind that requires a period of frost or dormancy due to cold. They get frost down South, but here, no.
    By fighting chance, I meant "surviving for a few months, tops". I assume there's a good reason to why our evergreens can't be found below temperate zones.

Oh, that kind of endless. I had assumed you meant the kind of endless in which the swarm covers all reality.
    And you know, you really shouldn't borrow energy from the future without asking first...
    Pfft, I'll give it back eventually. They won't miss it.

Tea goes 'out of date'? I can understand it losing its potency, but surely if it's properly stored it can last indefinitely?
    Tea perhaps doesn't go out of date as much as the European Union does. For the sake of consumer safety, all foodstuff has to be marked with a best before date, even in the case of foodstuff that's practically inable to go out of date if handled properly. After all, you wouldn't want the manufacturers and resellers to surreptitiously sell you tea dating several years back in time.

ION:
    Snow in the air, but the ground is too warm and marshy, so it just melts before it can leave any lasting impression...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah! The suspense is killing me!
    And you already know I disapprove of that situation so I won't comment on it further.
    Mua-ha-ha.

I don't even think you know all of the details for that situation anyhow.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Yeah, I could see the intended meaning, but the phrasing was nonsensical.
    Not really. I just wanted to set up that "makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare" joke. And none of you laughed.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    I hate squirrels now.
    I was just walking to the bus, when I passed a trash can. This deranged squirrel proceeded to jump out of the trash can, catch one of its little squirrel claws on my brand new coat - tearing a hole in it - then scamper down my leg and away. So now whenever anyone asks about the giant hole in my new coat, I have to tell them "squirrel attack."
    ok, it's a pity about the coat, but at least you can say you have been attacked by a squirrel. that should count for something... Plus, it's a hilarious story
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Try drinking it. Just because you live next to the ocean doesn't mean you're immune to droughts either. Our trees drop their leaves for one reason, and it's not because it's cold (which our evergreens handle just fine).
    What has the ocean got to do with anything? I live near the sea and we get periodic droughts. It's ten kilometres that way.
    *points in a vaguely eastern direction*
    *considers mentioning all those coastal deserts with plants adapted to live off sea spray*
    Anyway... I wouldn't count a period when it is too cold for rain as a drought for the same reason we don't consider Mars to be in a state of drought. If it can't rain, then it can't be a drought. A drought being defined as a period without rain or with less rain when there should otherwise be more rain.
    Distinct from icy Winters and dry seasons.

Also, I had assumed that in cold conditions the leaves of broadleaf trees are vulnerable to frost and can be easily damaged as a result. Thus, they drop them before then to avoid the trauma. Evergreens don't because of special adaptations and as a mechanism that allows them to get the most out of the comparatively short growing season in colder climates.

By fighting chance, I meant "surviving for a few months, tops". I assume there's a good reason to why our evergreens can't be found below temperate zones.
    That's actually partly due to competition from other kinds of trees... But I digress.
    It still depends where you planted it. During a snowy Winter, the sunlight is significantly decreased. However, if you were to plant an evergreen capable of holding onto its moisture while snow falls around it in a region of intense sunlight and dryness, no amount of moisture retention will save it and it would likely die within weeks. Months is pushing it.

Pfft, I'll give it back eventually. They won't miss it.
    But what if you steal energy from the future such that when the future gets here and we need that energy to power the planetary shield to ward off an alien invasion? And it's not there?!?!

Tea perhaps doesn't go out of date as much as the European Union does. For the sake of consumer safety, all foodstuff has to be marked with a best before date, even in the case of foodstuff that's practically inable to go out of date if handled properly. After all, you wouldn't want the manufacturers and resellers to surreptitiously sell you tea dating several years back in time.

ION:
    Snow in the air, but the ground is too warm and marshy, so it just melts before it can leave any lasting impression...
    Hmm... Possible to misconstrue as a political statement...
    What about honey? That's antibacterial. Or salt? Cinnamon is poisonous to most life-forms, does that need a label? How about sugar? How about canned foods?

And no, no you would not. In my case, I wouldn't want them to sell me any tea at all. I understand the legislation, but having it apply to all foodstuffs is a bit extreme...
    I mean... What do they do with all this out of date tea? Does it even have another use?

Oh well... If laws made sense to everyone, then all the lawyers would be out of a job and that would be depressing.

Mua-ha-ha.

I don't even think you know all of the details for that situation anyhow.
    You're being friends "with benefits" with your first boyfriend who is inexperienced in matters concerning said benefits. I neither need nor want to know all of the "details".
    I have a feeling it will end badly.

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Not really. I just wanted to set up that "makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare" joke. And none of you laughed.
    Must have missed this because this kind of wordplay appeals to me, if only for the "wait, what?" reaction it causes in others.

Really should see about reinstalling SC2. I'd need someone to teach me how to play though. >.>

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

You're being friends "with benefits" with your first boyfriend who is inexperienced in matters concerning said benefits. I neither need nor want to know all of the "details".
    I have a feeling it will end badly.
    For all you know, the benefits could be teaching home how to play video games I play, or how to sing off-key!

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Must have missed this because this kind of wordplay appeals to me, if only for the "wait, what?" reaction it causes in others.

Really should see about reinstalling SC2. I'd need someone to teach me how to play though. >.>
    Ooh, ooh! Can I do it! Pleaaaaase!
    Last edited by Mynxae; 2012-11-28 at 04:46 AM.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

For all you know, the benefits could be teaching home how to play video games I play, or how to sing off-key!
    Admittedly, those are both things you excel at. However, I know what you're doing so there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Also, tell me what my Christmas present is going to be! Or at least give me some hints so I can occupy my mind guessing.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Admittedly, those are both things you excel at. However, I know what you're doing so there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Also, tell me what my Christmas present is going to be! Or at least give me some hints so I can occupy my mind guessing.
    It involves letters. Heh. 'Cause that could mean anything.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ettin in the Playground

It involves letters. Heh. 'Cause that could mean anything.
    What do I need a mailbox for?

So, you're buying me a computer game then? That's very kind of you.
    Is it one I'll enjoy?
    Alternatively, you're buying me a book.

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

What do I need a mailbox for?

So, you're buying me a computer game then? That's very kind of you.
    Is it one I'll enjoy?
    Alternatively, you're buying me a book.
    Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
    Well, I do recall you saying that you'd buy me Starcraft II for Christmas.
    Have I ruined my own surprise yet?

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, ooh! Can I do it! Pleaaaaase!
    I'ts going to be a (couple of) book(s) written by a writer with the initials T.P. pertaining a circular flat world atop 4 elephants atop a shielded animal...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I'ts going to be a (couple of) book(s) written by a writer with the initials T.P. pertaining a circular flat world atop 4 elephants atop a shielded animal...
    You know... Just because I've never read it does not mean I am not aware of the fact that the titular Discworld travels through space resting on the backs of four giant elephants that stand atop an even more giant turtle.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I do recall you saying that you'd buy me Starcraft II for Christmas.
    Have I ruined my own surprise yet?
    I said I might buy that for you. And why would I buy that so early?

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Oh my.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway... I wouldn't count a period when it is too cold for rain as a drought for the same reason we don't consider Mars to be in a state of drought. If it can't rain, then it can't be a drought. A drought being defined as a period without rain or with less rain when there should otherwise be more rain.
    Distinct from icy Winters and dry seasons.
    Okay, I see your reasoning.

Also, I had assumed that in cold conditions the leaves of broadleaf trees are vulnerable to frost and can be easily damaged as a result. Thus, they drop them before then to avoid the trauma. Evergreens don't because of special adaptations and as a mechanism that allows them to get the most out of the comparatively short growing season in colder climates.
    They are, but that's more due to evolutionary laziness than anything else. The problems with the leaves is that they expulse massive amounts of water, and without the ability to absorb more water from the ground, keeping them would dehydrate the tree to death.

But what if you steal energy from the future such that when the future gets here and we need that energy to power the planetary shield to ward off an alien invasion? And it's not there?!?!
    Ah, but that's the best part. We borrow the energy from the exact moment we'll return it. That way, no one will ever notice that it's missing.

Hmm... Possible to misconstrue as a political statement...
    What about honey? That's antibacterial. Or salt? Cinnamon is poisonous to most life-forms, does that need a label? How about sugar? How about canned foods?

And no, no you would not. In my case, I wouldn't want them to sell me any tea at all. I understand the legislation, but having it apply to all foodstuffs is a bit extreme...
    I mean... What do they do with all this out of date tea? Does it even have another use?

Oh well... If laws made sense to everyone, then all the lawyers would be out of a job and that would be depressing.
    Well, practically all food (with the exception of salts,) go stale or otherwise tasteless after a due amount of time, so it's only reasonable to let the customer know when it was made so that they won't be bereft of the quality they seek. Also, printing a best before date costs nothing, and for most foodstuff with a long durability, it will be consumed long before that date is reached anyway, while it gives the consumer an extra guard against unscrupulous producers. Sure, many consumers tend to stare themselves blind at the best before date, throwing away otherwise fresh food, but that's mostly a problem with the perishables.

All in all, I fail to see what harm a best before date does on a tea package.

ION:
    Spent 45 minutes profiling the assignment code on some rather huge input data. I'm currently profiling my own code on the same input, hoping for some enhancements, but they seem a lot less than I'd hoped for. I think I'll have to rewrite the whole program in order to achieve some real improvements...

Oh wait, it just finished. 2.2 million milliseconds-wait-what!? The damn profiling tab just closed down despite the fact that I didn't press any buttons for closing it! And I didn't have time to save it either!
    RAGE!!!

Oh well, I still know that I made around a 6 minute speed up, which isn't bad, just not as well as I'd hoped. First lunch, then lecture, then restructure. That hopefully should make things a lot better...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

I said I might buy that for you. And why would I buy that so early?
    Taking advantage of a sale perhaps? Avoiding the Christmas rush? I don't know. You're being so frustratingly unhelpful on this matter. You're not even being cryptic!

Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me, TELL ME!

You enjoy tormenting me don't you...
    Can you at least tell me on the first of December? Or the start of Advent?

They are, but that's more due to evolutionary laziness than anything else. The problems with the leaves is that they expulse massive amounts of water, and without the ability to absorb more water from the ground, keeping them would dehydrate the tree to death.
    I suppose that's also true. It happens that way in some tropical monsoon forests now that I remember.

Ah, but that's the best part. We borrow the energy from the exact moment we'll return it. That way, no one will ever notice that it's missing.
    But once you've used the energy to create the budgie anti-budgie pairs, wouldn't some of it be lost due to factors beyond our control?
    *half remembered physics*

And we'll know because we were the ones who did it in the past.
    Damn time travel...

Well, practically all food (with the exception of salts,) go stale or otherwise tasteless after a due amount of time, so it's only reasonable to let the customer know when it was made so that they won't be bereft of the quality they seek. Also, printing a best before date costs nothing, and for most foodstuff with a long durability, it will be consumed long before that date is reached anyway, while it gives the consumer an extra guard against unscrupulous producers. Sure, many consumers tend to stare themselves blind at the best before date, throwing away otherwise fresh food, but that's mostly a problem with the perishables.

All in all, I fail to see what harm a best before date does on a tea package.
    There's nothing wrong with it. It just irks me for some reason.

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking advantage of a sale perhaps? Avoiding the Christmas rush? I don't know. You're being so frustratingly unhelpful on this matter. You're not even being cryptic!

Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me, TELL ME!

You enjoy tormenting me don't you...
    Can you at least tell me on the first of December? Or the start of Advent?
    Isn't Advent in April? Or am I thinking of Lent..?

And yes, I enjoy tormenting you. You do it to me too though!

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't Advent in April? Or am I thinking of Lent..?

And yes, I enjoy tormenting you. You do it to me too though!
    You're thinking of Lent.
    So you'll tell me on the first of December because you don't know when Advent begins? Excellent. It's nice we've reached an agreement.

At least I let you know what your presents are... Last Christmas I took you shopping with me to buy them...

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

You're thinking of Lent.
    So you'll tell me on the first of December because you don't know when Advent begins? Excellent. It's nice we've reached an agreement.

At least I let you know what your presents are... Last Christmas I took you shopping with me to buy them...
    Wait, what? I don't know what you're getting me.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, what? I don't know what you're getting me.
    I'm going to drag you to a bookstore depending on how much money I get and also purchase you some chocolate for your birthday.
    It's a rather boring combination, but I'm poor and likely to receive money for Christmas.

Dragons!

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to drag you to a bookstore depending on how much money I get and also purchase you some chocolate for your birthday.
    It's a rather boring combination, but I'm poor and likely to receive money for Christmas.
    And if you receive no money, just send me a kitten. I'd love one, thanks.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.