New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Triggering content in #875

Chapter 875 contains an obvious reference to a real world atrocity, pretty much used as a joke. It doesn't matter if it's intentional or not, people will draw parellels to it.

This was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I know people who have lost family members to the atrocity in question. How do you think they would feel if they read this chapter?

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss RL politics. Its purpose is to state my disapproval of that part of the latest chapter. Such things should not be used as a punchline for a joke.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-03-01 at 06:50 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Triggering content in #875

I can't claim to have such a personal connection, but it was outrageous. Why you'd think that's funny, I don't know.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Yeah, it was not exactly the most tasteful joke. Especially not given how it doesn't fit with the general image the site and comic tries to project, after all talking about politics is strictly forbidden, even if it's the politics of the late middle ages.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I don't think that was intended as a joke at all. I believe it was there for the exact purpose that it looks like: it highlighted how cold Malack truly is.
    Last edited by Ellye; 2013-03-01 at 06:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

it's not intended to be a joke- it's intended to remind us of just how monstrous Malack is in his devotion to "calm, orderly and efficient" destruction.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, I have to wonder why you guys thought it was supposed to be a joke.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's replace a less efficient engine of murder with a more efficient one!", in the context it was used here, is pretty much a joke. It's used to showcase Malack's evilness, but it's still a joke.

And even if it's not a joke, it's still very triggering. How would you feel if OotS had a reference to an event in which you lost someone you knew?
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-03-01 at 06:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's not a joke. But it's still incredibly offensive content to appear in a webcomic. I am personally disgusted.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

People doing asides in grand monologuing always comes off a bit silly. It was essentially the villain laying out his big villainous scheme, to go out on a tangent that really serves no purpose, which is usually a joke, even if it was clearly black humor. The smaller font, the fact that he took the time to declare the arena silly and the vagueness of saying "some sort of chamber" contribute to that impression.

10. - Top - End - #10

Art should make an emotional impact.

This is art. The goal was to make sure you, as a reader, understand the scope of Malack's depravity.

I could get into a huge thing about how you can't ignore or avoid tragedies because that's how they get repeated, but it's not gonna end well for my account.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I honestly don't see the joke there.

It highlights that Malack is Evil. Capital E evil, not "Oh but he was so nice, I bet he's just misunderstood Lawful Neutral" like I bet some people still claim even today.
    It shows that Malack thinks even Tarquin's evilness is not enough yet.

Also a punchline is generally at the end of a comic, not almost literally in the middle.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Funny, no one criticised Rich for pedophile priests joke...
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I don't take it as a joke at all. Even with the context of mocking Tarquin's arena.
    It was meant to be shocking. It worked, get over it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-03-03 at 10:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

Evil Characters do evil things. That's just storytelling. If anything, having someone who committed genocide as one of the Protagonists (V) is more questionable.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Evil Characters do evil things. That's just storytelling. If anything, having someone who committed genocide as one of the Protagonists (V) is more questionable.
    Said genocide doesn't reference actual crimes against humanity with actual victims who are actually still alive. There's a rather big difference right there. This is just going for the low-hanging fruit for instant shock value. Malack's evil would be no less clear without that reference.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well. I thought it was pretty funny.

I sympathize with the desire for political correctness though. I generally think offending people is pretty uncool and that people should endeavor to be politically correct in general. Since it's clear that this joke, or point, or whatever offended some people, I can see the objection.

I particularly find the argument of the tone of the comic and the previously established levels of political correctness might offend taste because it is a violation of an unspoken convention of the comic that might be a required standard for the continued readership of a subset of readers. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I stopped consuming some form of media because it violated the standards of political correctness.

Honestly I'm not sure it was meant as a reference to, well, that. I didn't get that from it until I read this thread. Then I reread the comic and laughed uproariously because I thought it was funny. But I feel like your disgust is more important than my amusement, because I can be amused without disgusting you (have been for 874 strips). Color me ambivalent.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

With respect, Belkar has been casually going ha-ha-only-serious about disembowelling the helpless since his first appearance. I don't see how this is any different, given that CE has always, statistically, given LE a run for it's money in terms of body count. There are real serial killers, you know, and any number of casual stabbing fatalities.
    Last edited by Carry2; 2013-03-01 at 07:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

To anyone springing to the comic's defense: read this, and answer this question for yourself. And answer honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    How would you feel if OotS had a reference to an event in which you lost someone you knew?
    It doesn't matter which argument you use: "it's not supposed to be a joke", "it's art", "it's supposed to be shocking", "it's to show how evil Malack is". None of this changes the fact that this is something that'll remind many people of very bad memories, and many others will find it offensive and distasteful. At the very least there should be a trigger warning.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Funny, no one criticised Rich for pedophile priests joke...
    Probably because, absent Word Of Giant, there is absolutely no suggestion of priests in that comic. It's simply a choir of dead Acceptable Targets.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The point of that speech was to drive home in an extremely thorough and hard to dismiss way that, however affable Malack might have appeared before, he really is monstrously Evil. Referencing a terrible real world atrocity is a good way to do that, and the only way I would interpret it as making light of said atrocity is if he somehow turns out later to not actually be that bad.

And even if it's not a joke, it's still very triggering. How would you feel if OotS had a reference to an event in which you lost someone you knew?
    I don't actually know because I've been fortunate enough to not have any such events, but I imagine I would hate the character who did it and develop a strong desire to see him meet an appropriate end. If he never does meet an appropriate end, then I might get mad at the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Punching someone in the face makes an emotional impact, mostly anger and confusion, but I don't think anybody thinks that thugs are great artists for assaulting people in the street. It specifically went on a tangent related to one of the great atrocities of the 20th century, one that still has tens of thousands of living survivors and a far greater number of friends and relatives of those survivors, to try and create those emotions, while also maintaining a flippant tone as if not taking said atrocity seriously. In general, using the suffering of others to bolster your own, unrelated message is neither clever, polite nor tasteful, especially not when you completely ignore the actual victims.
    It is not Rich Burlew who is treating the subject lightly, but Malack. It is the character who deserves hate over this, not the author. Unless you honestly believe that Malack represents Rich's own viewpoint.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

To anyone springing to the comic's defense: read this, and answer this question for yourself. And answer honestly.
    To which I honestly respond: Lots of people know folks who got murdered, but you had no problem with Death's 'lil helper harvesting goblin kidneys for XP.

23. - Top - End - #23

Should OotS steer clear of depicting any murders because some people have known people who were murdered?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Was someone you knew killed by Belkar in real life? No? Then it's not the same thing. Thank you.

Now, if OotS had a reference to a specific recent murder spree, that wouldn't be okay by me either.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-03-01 at 07:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Was someone you knew killed by Belkar in real life? No? Then it's not the same thing. Thank you.
    Was someone you know sacrificed by a vampire lizardman to appease his death god in real life?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Like many other readers, I don't think the reference was written as a joke.

I suppose the Giant was so annoyed that people could still argue that Malack wasn't evil and that Durkon was some sort of "racist" for rejecting parley with him, than he decided to put thigs extra clear.

Malack is a monster, and thus, thinks alike other monsters.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Somebody probably also knows someone who was killed by lightning. Or died in one of the many other ways that are referenced. If your relative died of alcohol-induced liver disease, for example, should you complain about dwarven afterlife rules?

The joke was not meaningless, although it falls under the category of joke. Some jokes are grim.

Also, "trigger warnings" are a meme that needs to die.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

So you get to arbitrarily use a literally oots character when someone might be offended by something you don't find offensive but we don't get to say, "Well was your ____ killed by Malack in the 30's?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I did not see a direct reference, but a room for efficient killing of people isn't exactly an idea unique to one specific regime. Painting the Giant as denying or belittling some of the worst recorded acts of mankind because he wanted to tell a joke is not being fair to him or his work. Saying that him mentioned the idea of a room for mass murder is "for shock value" and that he is "using the suffering of others to bolster his own, unrelated message" is definitely not.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-03-01 at 07:23 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

How would you feel if OotS had a reference to an event in which you lost someone you knew?
    Uh. What do you consider to be an "event"?

That is, if I know someone who died in a heart attack, does that mean I can say "It did" because of this? If I know someone who was murdered, can I say "It did"?

I get that you believe that's a legitimate and answerable question, and a trump card, but I fail to see how it's any of the above.
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-03-01 at 07:27 PM.