New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Have you ever read Pandora's Star or Hyperion? Both are sci-fi books that explore the idea of settings where things are connected via portals.

One point is that you need someone to get to the other location before you can open the portals...

Hyperion is also an awesome example of the kind of weird architecture you can get up to; the main trade route is a river that flows through massive portals in a loop through several planets, and the wealthy routinely have houses where each room is on a different planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    How is the box arriving where you want it to?
    A few ways. At higher levels, an EI pilot. At mid levels, programed courses (if you don't mind only going to a few places) or a complex control point that lets you set destinations and leave. Since portal aren't an option before then, there doesn't need to be a lower level way of doing it.

Though the best vehicle is by far the gravity powered air ship. It uses directional gravity fluxes and large amounts of heavy matter in semispaces.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    A few ways. At higher levels, an EI pilot. At mid levels, programed courses (if you don't mind only going to a few places) or a complex control point that lets you set destinations and leave. Since portal aren't an option before then, there doesn't need to be a lower level way of doing it.

Though the best vehicle is by far the gravity powered air ship. It uses directional gravity fluxes and large amounts of heavy matter in semispaces.
    So yes, what this means is that for the most part, conventional transports (such as say, horses with a hired driver) remain in use for most people, since most people never get to level 14, when doctorate principles show up, or have the money to spend on hiring someone that powerful or buying stuff made by such exclusive service providers*.

Really, just because something is avaiable doesn't mean it is avaiable to most people.

* By the way, I am of the opinion that the prices for gramarie are stupid low.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-04-07 at 01:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Halfling in the Playground

Portals do not connect to circuits, unless I missed something. Regardless, I do not believe one thing can be controlled by two EIs at the same time. EIs being able to interact with one another is a specific 10th level ability of the Heurisitcs PrC, so it can't be done without that ability. If you want to have it all be run by a single EI, it would have to be incredibly small scale based upon the limitation of how many things EIs can do in any given round.
    No, you're right. They connect to the space itself. And you can use circuits without an EI. Given the wording of the ability you're talking about (which applies to circuits and not just EI), I'd assume that no, you can't connect two circuits to a single device (because then they'd be overlapping which is specifically what that ability allows).

You don't need to have an EI directly control the circuit. You can program the circuit using HEUR 266. This bypasses the limits of 100 logical decisions/round a EI is limited to. It's computer programming.

Without the Imachination PrC, imachination user interfaces, while not impossible, are impractical. Also, practicality is greatly reduced as each principle has to be prepared individually for each terminus point. In my current model, the transformers need only be prepared once and the breeding circuited chassi make up each terminus point.
    Which of the PrC abilities are you talking about? I think I keep missing it. And yes, some of the higher level abilities make it more efficient, but it can be done with less.

At the end of the day, the most logical decisions a non-upgraded EI can make are 100. That's ever six seconds. That is no where near enough for any form of binary (which is incredibly inefficient for EIs to use regardless) to function well. You would be better off with Morse code, but that is still limiting.
    That's if you're using an EI to make those decisions. If you program them in with HEUR 266 it becomes much more efficient and the EI is free to make other decisions.

As it stands right now, silverouts are the best method and are a legitimate form of gramarie. Even still, the cheapest and easiest to make version still requires two level 17 gramarist, minimum. You could probably jury rig something using just 101 principles if you tried REALLY HARD, and you could almost certainly make something that is incredibly expensive that would be passable using only 200 principles. Once you get EIs, its still incredibly expensive, but much more doable.
    I'm not sure I agree that silver outs re the best method. And yes, they're legitimate, but if I'm going to use silver outs, why use gramarie at all to make it? I can just use the spells themselves or make magic items.

The only way to have it be as ubiquitous as the internet that I see is the model I've outlined. If you want it to be the preview of kings or only available to the masses on a public scale in large cities (public scale as in you get to go see a movie, not you have a TV/telephone in your house) than you can definitely pull something off at lower levels with less specialization.
    Yes, using binary is inefficient. It's inefficient for computers too, but they're so quick it isn't as noticeable. The biggest two limits on the system that I currently see are data storage and reproduction and bandwidth.

As it is, when someone programs something on a computer, it doesn't take the same amount of time to reproduce it a second time. However, because gramarie doesn't have a means of data storage, every time you program a circuit with instructions, you have to rewrite it from scratch.

That issue is also what makes TV difficult to reproduce as well. Yes, you can automate the reproduction, but it takes twice as long to automate as it does to produce and then the production time for each instance it produces.

Ultimately, you're not going to build the internet by yourself.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't the existence of blueprints make availability a mostly moot point?As long as you have one person with the capability, she can make blueprints for other people so that the work becomes more common.200 principles can be made almost as common as 100. Admittedly, this would require the high level gramarist actively working to obsolete themselves, but we've already had that argument before.

6. - Top - End - #1236

BardGuy

So yes, what this means is that for the most part, conventional transports (such as say, horses with a hired driver) remain in use for most people, since most people never get to level 14, when doctorate principles show up, or have the money to spend on hiring someone that powerful or buying stuff made by such exclusive service providers*.

Really, just because something is avaiable doesn't mean it is avaiable to most people.

* By the way, I am of the opinion that the prices for gramarie are stupid low.
    A gravity portal ship is makeable at level 7, so I have no idea where you got 14 from. Still, it would be easy for nation to connect all their major cities with portals and have massive gravity powered public transportation networks of piloted portals.

Gramarie is priced with PC gramarists in mind, not PCs (or NPCs for that matter) trying to buy gramarie.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-04-07 at 01:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ettin in the Playground

A gravity portal ship is makeable at level 7, so I have no idea where you got 14 from. Still, it would be easy for nation to connect all their major cities with portals and have massive gravity powered public transportation networks of piloted portals.

Gramarie is priced with PC gramarists in mind, not PCs (or trying to buy gramarie.
    Doctorate is needed to make the exotic intelligences, I mean. The airship can be made at magisterial, sure.

And there are missing letters in the second paragraph. But the intended meaning notwithstanding. Those pricings are one serious problem. As long as they are the way they are, economy becomes weird in gramarie worlds.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

Given that Einstein was a level 4 or 5 Expert with Skill Focus Physics, we can probably say with some safety that nations cannot afford to link major cities with magic airships for the simple reason that the number of people able to produce magic airships are so vanishingly small that they can charge whatever they want for anything they do.

Even in Forgotten Realms where there are multiple epic level casters running around major governments don't have high level wizards on retainer because high level wizards have better things to do than subsidize urban development. They can also kill elephants with teaspoons before they start using class features so forcing them to do something is a losing proposition at best. (The Red Wizard's are an exception, but they are openly trying to rule the world with the money and favors you would end up owing them.)

One portal across continents wouldn't actually matter all that much for anyone but the small number of rich people fairly close to the ends of it who can afford the stuff from the other side.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

9. - Top - End - #1239

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tyler View Post
    I sort of glanced through some info on sound volume and decibels on Wikipedia and through general internet searches, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it doesn't seem to scale simply between real world and game system. For example, the loudest recorded lion's roar is 114 dB, which according to the guidelines from Ghost Sound and Create Sound is equivalent to 16 humans. However, general human speech is around 60 dB for a single individual, so volume doesn't simply double.
    That's because dB is a logarithmic scale, not a linear one.

Doubling the magnitude of the sound adds ~ +3dB to the volume. So, 16 humans is 2^4 humans, making 60 + 4*3 = 72dB of sound.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I thought the best vehicle was the T.A.R.D.I.S?

I do like the idea of Pre-programmed, unmanned flight units and at first glance it looks like it would only require an additional Heuristic Circuit to be implemented into the ships design with a single logical decision of going traveling once the command is given and then performing a series of actions such as lifting off and traveling for a preset distance and then landing only for it to reset and require the same command.

Obviously this would require a Circuited Biollurgical chassis (most likely the ones used for the life support systems since they still continue to exhale and inhale as intended), but the idea is indeed interesting as a whole and would revolutionize how travel is performed in a world powered by Gramarie

Unfortunately, now you need 2 Gramarist to create this as opposed to a single Dreamason with ALCH 101, BIOY 101, HEUR 101, HEUR 245, KALD 101, KALD 207, YGGD 101, and YGGD 212. Of course the additional Gramarist makes this even easier to accomplish... Still the minimum is 9th level
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-04-08 at 01:08 AM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Given that Einstein was a level 4 or 5 Expert with Skill Focus Physics, we can probably say with some safety that nations cannot afford to link major cities with magic airships for the simple reason that the number of people able to produce magic airships are so vanishingly small that they can charge whatever they want for anything they do.

Even in Forgotten Realms where there are multiple epic level casters running around major governments don't have high level wizards on retainer because high level wizards have better things to do than subsidize urban development. They can also kill elephants with teaspoons before they start using class features so forcing them to do something is a losing proposition at best. (The Red Wizard's are an exception, but they are openly trying to rule the world with the money and favors you would end up owing them.)

One portal across continents wouldn't actually matter all that much for anyone but the small number of rich people fairly close to the ends of it who can afford the stuff from the other side.
    I agree about governments, but where did you get the Einstein idea?

12. - Top - End - #1242

BardGuy

No, you're right. They connect to the space itself. And you can use circuits without an EI. Given the wording of the ability you're talking about (which applies to circuits and not just EI), I'd assume that no, you can't connect two circuits to a single device (because then they'd be overlapping which is specifically what that ability allows).

You don't need to have an EI directly control the circuit. You can program the circuit using HEUR 266. This bypasses the limits of 100 logical decisions/round a EI is limited to. It's computer programming.
    Ah, I understand now. That is quite clever. You could set up a HEUR 302 to make your HEUR 266 for a more rapid production of the system.

Which of the PrC abilities are you talking about? I think I keep missing it. And yes, some of the higher level abilities make it more efficient, but it can be done with less.
    Huh... I can't seem to find it... It let you have a new imachination function that worked really well for making a pipboy or tablet screen or more stuff like that.

That's if you're using an EI to make those decisions. If you program them in with HEUR 266 it becomes much more efficient and the EI is free to make other decisions.
    Already talked about the cleverness of this.

I'm not sure I agree that silver outs re the best method. And yes, they're legitimate, but if I'm going to use silver outs, why use gramarie at all to make it? I can just use the spells themselves or make magic items.
    A few reasons. 1) At-will spell producing magic items are rare and severely limited. 2) The spells themselves would need a court of casters present at all times for no purpose but to cast these spells when called upon. 3) Gramarie is cheap. Especially if you have the ability to make the best model, which has a one time investment followed by infinite resources.

Yes, using binary is inefficient. It's inefficient for computers too, but they're so quick it isn't as noticeable. The biggest two limits on the system that I currently see are data storage and reproduction and bandwidth.

As it is, when someone programs something on a computer, it doesn't take the same amount of time to reproduce it a second time. However, because gramarie doesn't have a means of data storage, every time you program a circuit with instructions, you have to rewrite it from scratch.

That issue is also what makes TV difficult to reproduce as well. Yes, you can automate the reproduction, but it takes twice as long to automate as it does to produce and then the production time for each instance it produces.

Ultimately, you're not going to build the internet by yourself.
    Two things (that kinda run counter to my argument, but I still think I'm right). 1) EIs remember everything (it would seem) so they know exactly what the binary pulses are showing them, even if they can't make them effectively. This means that after a brief training course (or some hardwireing into their initial program) they can know every single thing that could be sent via a binary link and what they're supposed to do with it. You forget that gramarie has the best data storage in the universe; the mind of an EI. 2) Regardless of that, you realize that an hour of video taking two hours to download, basically, is significantly better than the internet of 20 years ago, right? You still don't have a good way to get telephones, nourishment, chat rooms, or even forums, but its a lot better than you're giving it credit for.

Doctorate is needed to make the exotic intelligences, I mean. The airship can be made at magisterial, sure.

And there are missing letters in the second paragraph. But the intended meaning notwithstanding. Those pricings are one serious problem. As long as they are the way they are, economy becomes weird in gramarie worlds.
    Fixed the post. Well, if you can make a solution that doesn't let the PCs become wealthier than the gods themselves and doesn't let every small town keep a few gramarists on retainer, I'm sure we would all be happy to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Hmm... I thought the best vehicle was the T.A.R.D.I.S?

I do like the idea of Pre-programmed, unmanned flight units and at first glance it looks like it would only require an additional Heuristic Circuit to be implemented into the ships design with a single logical decision of going traveling once the command is given and then performing a series of actions such as lifting off and traveling for a preset distance and then landing only for it to reset and require the same command.

Obviously this would require a Circuited Biollurgical chassis (most likely the ones used for the life support systems since they still continue to exhale and inhale as intended), but the idea is indeed interesting as a whole and would revolutionize how travel is performed in a world powered by Gramarie

Unfortunately, now you need 2 Gramarist to create this as opposed to a single Dreamason with ALCH 101, BIOY 101, HEUR 101, HEUR 245, KALD 101, KALD 207, YGGD 101, and YGGD 212. Of course the additional Gramarist makes this even easier to accomplish... Still the minimum is 9th level
    When I said TaRDiS, this is what I ment.

That's if you make it need all that stuff. It could easily be made with YGGD 101 and 212 and nothing else. Now, it is made easier by inclusion of ALCH 101 for ease of making the craft light and the "propulsion" heavy, but its not needed. Instead of using gramarie for the rest, you can do something a bit out of place for a gramarie campaign... Clockwork. It might be a bit bulky, but its probably cheaper and easier (assuming a gramarie setting bothered with clockwork at all, which it should) than a bunch of principles would be when the whole of piloting consists of moving physical objects with semispaces attached to them.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-04-08 at 06:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
    I agree about governments, but where did you get the Einstein idea?
    From here: http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/...expectations-2

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    I know Alexandrian. He has some good ideas. This one, however, is subject to much debate. Personally, I'd place Einstein around 10th level expert.

15. - Top - End - #1245

BardGuy

I know Alexandrian. He has some good ideas. This one, however, is subject to much debate. Personally, I'd place Einstein around 10th level expert.
    Did you read his example? Which is specific to Einstein? Which reproduces exactly what Einstein did with a 5th level expert?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

Did you read his example? Which is specific to Einstein? Which reproduces exactly what Einstein did with a 5th level expert?
    I read it. It works for Einstein and for the hypothesed jumper. However, as I said, it's subject to much debate. Personally, I don't think he's right.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

May I ask why? I have no strong opinion on either 5 or 10, but I have his Alexandrian's reason and not yours.

18. - Top - End - #1248

BardGuy

I read it. It works for Einstein and for the hypothesed jumper. However, as I said, it's subject to much debate. Personally, I don't think he's right.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

When I said TaRDiS, this is what I ment.
    It doesn't become a TARDIS until a Chrononaut has his way with it

That's if you make it need all that stuff. It could easily be made with YGGD 101 and 212 and nothing else. Now, it is made easier by inclusion of ALCH 101 for ease of making the craft light and the "propulsion" heavy, but its not needed. Instead of using gramarie for the rest, you can do something a bit out of place for a gramarie campaign... Clockwork. It might be a bit bulky, but its probably cheaper and easier (assuming a gramarie setting bothered with clockwork at all, which it should) than a bunch of principles would be when the whole of piloting consists of moving physical objects with semispaces attached to them.
    Actually without HEUR 245 you cannot control your Flux through the Semi-space allowing the vessel to travel. Meaning that without it, it can only go in one direction.

ALCH 101 is necessary for making the Hull of the ship much more durable, more heat resistant, sturdier and harder. Unless of course you wish for your Semi-space to be torn to pieces the moment it enters and asteroid field. Also you need for a way for oxygen to remain inside of your Semi-space (not sure if an air flow is maintained through the connections, but better safe than sorry).

Thankfully due to the Sage Ruling, the object will be able to travel at about 500ft per round without any assistance so that is all good. Unless of course you want to set up a submerging engine (remember, it pushes you towards gravity) to travel faster, but then you would need an additional Gramarist to assist in it's construction.

I wouldn't add a piece of Gramarie to the TARDIS unless it was absolutely necessary for it's flight and sustainability. I like working with Time and Space with Gramarie. Giving more time and less time and so on and so forth, working with Fast and Slow Time Demiplanes, Quicksilver, Eldrikinetic Engines that can travel at the speed of light (working on it) that work with Fluxes to grant it more speed and so on and so forth... Wonder if Alch can be used to convince Electrons to gather together into a ball? ... *sigh* 3 months...

20. - Top - End - #1250

BardGuy

It doesn't become a TARDIS until a Chrononaut has his way with it
    I forgot about your timelord PrC... It would probably stand better as a 10 level PrC, just to give more timelordy abilities.

Actually without HEUR 245 you cannot control your Flux through the Semi-space allowing the vessel to travel. Meaning that without it, it can only go in one direction.
    ...Perhaps I was not clear. The "box" has 5 static fluxes, one on each side. You physically move semispaces attached to metal sheets over blocks of heavy substance X. The weight of Heavy substance X on the roof and sides should be equal, as well as being greater than the weight of the central box, preferably by a factor of 2. This lets you move in all directions faster than you would be able to using engines.

ALCH 101 is necessary for making the Hull of the ship much more durable, more heat resistant, sturdier and harder. Unless of course you wish for your Semi-space to be torn to pieces the moment it enters and asteroid field. Also you need for a way for oxygen to remain inside of your Semi-space (not sure if an air flow is maintained through the connections, but better safe than sorry).
    ...This makes even less sense. I'm not sure what you mean, at all. You don't need ALCH 101 for in-planet flight. As for making it a space fairing vessel, you can add a gravity down flux in the **** pit/only thing on that side of the portal and oxygen will come through the portal.

Thankfully due to the Sage Ruling, the object will be able to travel at about 500ft per round without any assistance so that is all good. Unless of course you want to set up a submerging engine (remember, it pushes you towards gravity) to travel faster, but then you would need an additional Gramarist to assist in it's construction.
    Or just put iron engines in part of the box that has gravity pointing down instead of sideways to both fall and have the bonus power of engines.

I wouldn't add a piece of Gramarie to the TARDIS unless it was absolutely necessary for it's flight and sustainability. I like working with Time and Space with Gramarie. Giving more time and less time and so on and so forth, working with Fast and Slow Time Demiplanes, Quicksilver, Eldrikinetic Engines that can travel at the speed of light (working on it) that work with Fluxes to grant it more speed and so on and so forth... Wonder if Alch can be used to convince Electrons to gather together into a ball? ... *sigh* 3 months...
    I think the problem here is two-fold. Earlier, I said the best ship a gramarist could make is a TaRDiS. Which is true. That takes a lot of principles, but nothing beats it. What I'm talking about with draken is the most efficient vessel two level 7 gramarists can make, which is two Yggdratects making a portal box in their back yard. If there were only two level seven Yggdratect in the whole world, they could make 1 of these a day, if they did nothing else. Now, if your setting only has a handful of Yggdratects, or gramarists for that mater, at or above level seven, then these portal ships would be exceedingly rare, as a year of labor with no days off gets you only 365 boxes. Now, if you're in a setting where gramarie is more prevalent, lets say there are only 200 gramarists with the necessary principles in the entire world (what I would call a very low number). If they all took one week to make boxes, thats 700 boxes in the world. Gramatic pricing aside, moving portals are probably one of the most sought after things in a world of gramarie (at least a mid-level one), so it makes sense that people would make as many of them as they could. Even if we assume 8 hour work days and half of the gramarist who can make boxes choose not to for whatever reasons, thats still 25 a day. After 4 years, there would be at most 1461 portal ships in the world. It is not unreasonable that cities and nations would have several of these that flew around the country side between the towns too small to have permanent portals.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-04-08 at 11:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot about your timelord PrC... It would probably stand better as a 10 level PrC, just to give more timelordy abilities.
    No thanks, I'd rather not make a Gramarie based prestige class again. Feel free to do with it as you would. For now, I'll make DW based Gramarie, unfortunately for now Time Travel is a distant dream (excluding using the brokenly powerful SilverOut with Teleport Through Time).

...Perhaps I was not clear. The "box" has 5 static fluxes, one on each side. You physically move semispaces attached to metal sheets over blocks of heavy substance X. The weight of Heavy substance X on the roof and sides should be equal, as well as being greater than the weight of the central box, preferably by a factor of 2. This lets you move in all directions faster than you would be able to using engines.
    I'm still not understanding your ships design, but if I am gathering this correctly you are planning for a Semispace that is tethered to a mobile object (a rock for example) and connecting multiple Gravity Fluxes pointing towards multiple directions (5 on each of the 6 sides assuming it is a standard box and includes one on the side with the Semi-space portal) to allow the bounded semi-space to travel in any dimension the Gravity Fluxes are pointing towards. You would then proceed to take heavy objects and place them inside the fluxes attacked to a lever that can be used to remove the object out of the flux to allow for a limited level of steering.

Paint a picture for me, because I'm not getting this design. The way you are describing it to me paints a picture of a box with metal boxes outside of it and a massive field of gravity pushing everything away from it. I'm also curious how landing works for this vessel... It seems to be a very primitive TARDIS to say the least

It feels like we are going back to basics where we originally just had a man surrounded by a Gravity Flux and he controlled it like that to get to where he needed to be (dismissed because it can't go wherever it needs to go).

...This makes even less sense. I'm not sure what you mean, at all. You don't need ALCH 101 for in-planet flight. As for making it a space fairing vessel, you can add a gravity down flux in the **** pit/only thing on that side of the portal and oxygen will come through the portal.
    The TARDIS was originally designed to be able to traverse through space since, at the time, that was one of my major interest for this piece of Homebrew.

The door is actually an Orange Filter that prevents gasses from getting in or out of the vessel. The Biollurgical Structures took care of the rest of balancing out the Oxygen:Carbon dioxide ratio. ALCH 101 being used is not just for crashing into spatial hazards, it is for crashing into any hazard (like the ground, the mountains, anything really) and taking that 20d6 damage to the semi-space and potentially killing you (If memory serves the Orange filter also captures the oxygen from your lungs as well).

Adding in that internal flux inside the Semi-space is unnecessary since I don't believe Gravity transits through Semi-space.

Or just put iron engines in part of the box that has gravity pointing down instead of sideways to both fall and have the bonus power of engines.
    D'oh! Talk about missing the obvious

I think the problem here is two-fold. Earlier, I said the best ship a gramarist could make is a TaRDiS. Which is true. That takes a lot of principles, but nothing beats it. What I'm talking about with draken is the most efficient vessel two level 7 gramarists can make, which is two Yggdratects making a portal box in their back yard. If there were only two level seven Yggdratect in the whole world, they could make 1 of these a day, if they did nothing else. Now, if your setting only has a handful of Yggdratects, or gramarists for that mater, at or above level seven, then these portal ships would be exceedingly rare, as a year of labor with no days off gets you only 365 boxes. Now, if you're in a setting where gramarie is more prevalent, lets say there are only 200 gramarists with the necessary principles in the entire world (what I would call a very low number). If they all took one week to make boxes, thats 700 boxes in the world. Gramatic pricing aside, moving portals are probably one of the most sought after things in a world of gramarie (at least a mid-level one), so it makes sense that people would make as many of them as they could. Even if we assume 8 hour work days and half of the gramarist who can make boxes choose not to for whatever reasons, thats still 25 a day. After 4 years, there would be at most 1461 portal ships in the world. It is not unreasonable that cities and nations would have several of these that flew around the country side between the towns too small to have permanent portals.
    I am not seeing a problem beyond the notion that the TARDIS requires to much Gramarie to be a fully functional vessel in any setting. It is more for a specialized group of people or one person and one person alone.

Having said that I must admit, I am highly interested in your thoughts towards a less time consuming vessel.

A more clunky design for it would be making a HUGE Flux surrounded by, say a battleship, and manually controlling it like that (with the inside of the ship having its own downward flux).

The reason you need to be such a high level is because you need to be able to use the Dreamason's Rabbit Hole ability to control the flux from inside the Semi-Space/Demiplane.

Note: While writing this comment, I thought up a design for a more Combat orientated vessel that combines Biollurgy, Yggdratecture, Hueristicism and Arcanodynamics to get something resembling Iron Man. Not sure if I thought that up or someone else already made the design and I'm just recalling it. Tell me your thoughts before I blueprint it up

22. - Top - End - #1252

BardGuy

I'm still not understanding your ships design, but if I am gathering this correctly you are planning for a Semispace that is tethered to a mobile object (a rock for example) and connecting multiple Gravity Fluxes pointing towards multiple directions (5 on each of the 6 sides assuming it is a standard box and includes one on the side with the Semi-space portal) to allow the bounded semi-space to travel in any dimension the Gravity Fluxes are pointing towards. You would then proceed to take heavy objects and place them inside the fluxes attacked to a lever that can be used to remove the object out of the flux to allow for a limited level of steering.

Paint a picture for me, because I'm not getting this design. The way you are describing it to me paints a picture of a box with metal boxes outside of it and a massive field of gravity pushing everything away from it. I'm also curious how landing works for this vessel... It seems to be a very primitive TARDIS to say the least

It feels like we are going back to basics where we originally just had a man surrounded by a Gravity Flux and he controlled it like that to get to where he needed to be (dismissed because it can't go wherever it needs to go).
    Okay, you have a metal box. Lets say... 15ft tall, 5 ft wide, 5ft deep. On one side you have a door. You open this door, and in the back of the door you create a portal to location X. Let us say the box weighs 1000 pounds, including the pilot (a warforged here for the sake of the heaviest likely pilot). On the roof and within the top 5 feet of the 4 sides place 5 blocks of solid Substance, each weighing 2000 pound (or less if you don't want to plan around warforged/have it not be exactly 2x the base weight but still be greater than the base weight). The total volume of these blocks must not be greater than a 2-foot cube. Create 5 2x2 sheets of metal. On one side, place a semispace. Slide each sheet of metal over one block. In the top 5ft cube of the ship, create a programmable clockwork mechanism or a pilotable lever based method. Finally, create 5 gravity fluxes, each facing out from the box in such a way that the box is not within these fluxes itself, but the semispace sheets and Substance contained within them would be. This vessel is flown by moving the semispaces so that Substance creates a net negative weight with regard to planar gravity to gain lift and revel Substance on the sides you wish to travel in the direction of. If programmable, set the program to fly to whatever location you wish for which there is a program. If pilotable, before each trip to a new place do the math to determine how much Substance must be relieved at what times to get you to your destination and record this information for future trips.

This is meant to be the simplest easiest to make portal ship.

The TARDIS was originally designed to be able to traverse through space since, at the time, that was one of my major interest for this piece of Homebrew.

The door is actually an Orange Filter that prevents gasses from getting in or out of the vessel. The Biollurgical Structures took care of the rest of balancing out the Oxygen:Carbon dioxide ratio. ALCH 101 being used is not just for crashing into spatial hazards, it is for crashing into any hazard (like the ground, the mountains, anything really) and taking that 20d6 damage to the semi-space and potentially killing you (If memory serves the Orange filter also captures the oxygen from your lungs as well).

Adding in that internal flux inside the Semi-space is unnecessary since I don't believe Gravity transits through Semi-space.
    Ah. Here is the problem. You are saying TARDIS as a specific piece of homebrew you made (which I forgot about [sorry]) where as I am saying TaRDiS as a general term for a very advanced planeshifting flying box.

I am not seeing a problem beyond the notion that the TARDIS requires to much Gramarie to be a fully functional vessel in any setting. It is more for a specialized group of people or one person and one person alone.

Having said that I must admit, I am highly interested in your thoughts towards a less time consuming vessel.

A more clunky design for it would be making a HUGE Flux surrounded by, say a battleship, and manually controlling it like that (with the inside of the ship having its own downward flux).
    The point of this is to have the simplest, easiest possible flying portal ship.

That design would work too, and would be great for larger vessels.

The reason you need to be such a high level is because you need to be able to use the Dreamason's Rabbit Hole ability to control the flux from inside the Semi-Space/Demiplane.
    But you don't. Heuristics are not even used in the model I layed out.

Note: While writing this comment, I thought up a design for a more Combat orientated vessel that combines Biollurgy, Yggdratecture, Hueristicism and Arcanodynamics to get something resembling Iron Man. Not sure if I thought that up or someone else already made the design and I'm just recalling it. Tell me your thoughts before I blueprint it up
    I don't remember someone doing it, but it should work. My idea for power armor involved a very special races of chassi. No cockpits.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, you have a metal box. Lets say... 15ft tall, 5 ft wide, 5ft deep. On one side you have a door. You open this door, and in the back of the door you create a portal to location X. Let us say the box weighs 1000 pounds, including the pilot (a warforged here for the sake of the heaviest likely pilot). On the roof and within the top 5 feet of the 4 sides place 5 blocks of solid Substance, each weighing 2000 pound (or less if you don't want to plan around warforged/have it not be exactly 2x the base weight but still be greater than the base weight). The total volume of these blocks must not be greater than a 2-foot cube. Create 5 2x2 sheets of metal. On one side, place a semispace. Slide each sheet of metal over one block. In the top 5ft cube of the ship, create a programmable clockwork mechanism or a pilotable lever based method. Finally, create 5 gravity fluxes, each facing out from the box in such a way that the box is not within these fluxes itself, but the semispace sheets and Substance contained within them would be. This vessel is flown by moving the semispaces so that Substance creates a net negative weight with regard to planar gravity to gain lift and revel Substance on the sides you wish to travel in the direction of. If programmable, set the program to fly to whatever location you wish for which there is a program. If pilotable, before each trip to a new place do the math to determine how much Substance must be relieved at what times to get you to your destination and record this information for future trips.

This is meant to be the simplest easiest to make portal ship.
    Interesting design, but it feels like the shape of the vessel is unnecessary, the Semi-space prevents the pilot from viewing outside of the vessel and requires an unnecessary level of craftsmanship to accomplish (gearing and clockwork construction).

Ah. Here is the problem. You are saying TARDIS as a specific piece of homebrew you made (which I forgot about [sorry]) where as I am saying TaRDiS as a general term for a very advanced planeshifting flying box.
    I spoke out of term. Perhaps I should state the origin of the design. (also, I do not feel as though I created the TaRDiS homebrew)

During December, I was interested in making Spaceships that could travel... WELL into space and across planes. I was originally planning for it to use Eldrikinetic Engines for the pilot to fly across space and breach the atmosphere of a planet similar to Earth (67.2 km/round or 226,377.96 feet/round)... Unfortunately this is... Unnecessarily hard to do... So when I voiced what I was attempting to do, someone showed me that it would be simpler to alter gravity in the direction that they would need to go. The next step was creating a reasonable cockpit (Semi-space/Demiplane), making a way to control it (Heuristicism + Rabbit Hole), a Life Support System (Biollurgical Chassi) and other optional accessories (a Planewalking Engine, a Create Food/Water Transformer, a swimming pool, bunk beds, etc.) Eventually Doctor Who became the main inspiration for it and I just went with it and went on to create the Cybermen.

A TaRDiS is a highly specialized vessel for space and time travel and not for commercialized flights that aren't expected to enter a location without oxygen. If you want a simple commercialized flight vessel simple take a large sized boat, a medium sized bag with a chain of Semispace inside of it (for passengers) and place a Flux around the boat that can be controlled by the pilot from a Heuristicism circuit only requiring 4 principles (YGGD 101, YDDG 212, HEUR 101, and HEUR 24).

A pair of 2 7th Gramarist can make make the boat in 2 hours and the bag in an hour allowing for it a total of 8 to be produced per hour, not even accounting for Blueprint-Superconstruct mass production for the Semi-spaces and Circuits.

The point of this is to have the simplest, easiest possible flying portal ship.
    No need to reinvent the wheel mate

That design would work too, and would be great for larger vessels.
    Indeed, making a non-space fairing vessel is easier since you don't have to worry about oxygen and the like.

But you don't. Heuristics are not even used in the model I layed out.
    Which makes me question the vessels stability during a flight. It is like making a car without a steering wheel.

I don't remember someone doing it, but it should work. My idea for power armor involved a very special races of chassi. No cockpits.
    It feels like it would be too massive of a leap though...
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-04-09 at 09:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Halfling in the Playground

So can someone explain all this ship theory and how to do it without having to read back 5 pages?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silvernale View Post
    So can someone explain all this ship theory and how to do it without having to read back 5 pages?
    Sea turtles mate, sea turtles... All joking aside, Space travel and normal flight, without having to burn through ebbs unnecessarily by simply altering gravity to meet your traveling demands most often through the use of YGGD 212.

... Savvy?

26. - Top - End - #1256

BardGuy

Interesting design, but it feels like the shape of the vessel is unnecessary, the Semi-space prevents the pilot from viewing outside of the vessel and requires an unnecessary level of craftsmanship to accomplish (gearing and clockwork construction).
    ...There are 5 semi-spaces and 1 portal, none of which prevent the placement of a window. I have no idea what you are still not getting, but it seems there is something. Also, with regard to craftsmanship I have two words; Fabricate Spellout.

I spoke out of term. Perhaps I should state the origin of the design. (also, I do not feel as though I created the TaRDiS homebrew)

During December, I was interested in making Spaceships that could travel... WELL into space and across planes. I was originally planning for it to use Eldrikinetic Engines for the pilot to fly across space and breach the atmosphere of a planet similar to Earth (67.2 km/round or 226,377.96 feet/round)... Unfortunately this is... Unnecessarily hard to do... So when I voiced what I was attempting to do, someone showed me that it would be simpler to alter gravity in the direction that they would need to go. The next step was creating a reasonable cockpit (Semi-space/Demiplane), making a way to control it (Heuristicism + Rabbit Hole), a Life Support System (Biollurgical Chassi) and other optional accessories (a Planewalking Engine, a Create Food/Water Transformer, a swimming pool, bunk beds, etc.) Eventually Doctor Who became the main inspiration for it and I just went with it and went on to create the Cybermen.

A TaRDiS is a highly specialized vessel for space and time travel and not for commercialized flights that aren't expected to enter a location without oxygen. If you want a simple commercialized flight vessel simple take a large sized boat, a medium sized bag with a chain of Semispace inside of it (for passengers) and place a Flux around the boat that can be controlled by the pilot from a Heuristicism circuit only requiring 4 principles (YGGD 101, YDDG 212, HEUR 101, and HEUR 24).

A pair of 2 7th Gramarist can make make the boat in 2 hours and the bag in an hour allowing for it a total of 8 to be produced per hour, not even accounting for Blueprint-Superconstruct mass production for the Semi-spaces and Circuits.
    I'm quite fond of gravity powered travel, so that may have been me that suggested it. If so, it was based upon a different version of the above design.

Now, for your quick and easy ship, there are some problems. When you say semispace chain, I assume you mean the trick of creating semispaces in other semispaces instead of connecting them, right? Which would mean you can get an infinitely (theoretically) long corridor of semispaces. If that's how you're going to have your passengers get around, you would need to perpair 3 semispaces for every one passenger you hope to have, and even still they would be very cramped. This means you need 3 hours of prep time per passenger you want. No idea where you got your numbers from.

Another thing, with only one flux controlling the ships falling, you're not able to remain stationary and all steering is next to impossible. This is why my ship uses 5 fluxes, natural gravity, and a lot of weight. Stability and control. Good luck figuring out how to land your ship without it crashing.

Also, this isn't a portal ship at all, so there is that.

[QUOTE=Arcanist;15062007]No need to reinvent the wheel mate

I'm pretty sure my model pre-dates whatever you think I'm reinventing. This is from the first gramarie campaign. Granted, its a scaled down version, but still.

Indeed, making a non-space fairing vessel is easier since you don't have to worry about oxygen and the like.
    Not like oxygen is a problem with gramarie.

Which makes me question the vessels stability during a flight. It is like making a car without a steering wheel.
    Are you really questioning my vessels stability when yours is unidirectional uncontrolled falling? And mine does have steering. In fact, the way mine works (which is MUCH more controlled) it couldn't be done with heuristics.

It feels like it would be too massive of a leap though...
    Is it a PrC or a trick? Mine is a trick.

Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvernale View Post
    What is it your not getting?
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-04-09 at 10:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257

Goblin

...There are 5 semi-spaces and 1 portal, none of which prevent the placement of a window. I have no idea what you are still not getting, but it seems there is something. Also, with regard to craftsmanship I have two words; Fabricate Spellout.
    The problem is not one of time but of quality, you're asking for reliable mechanical systems that can go from inside of your pressurized iron box to outside while making extremely precise movements over a large area. That isn't easy to do. (And I'm not at all certain silver spellouts are fair play, we already know that conventional magic is weird.)
    Are you really questioning my vessels stability when yours is unidirectional uncontrolled falling? And mine does have steering. In fact, the way mine works (which is MUCH more controlled) it couldn't be done with heuristics.
    Set up two gravity fields around weights inside of your ship, use one heuristic field to set the vector sum of their directions in the direction you want to go with magnitude proportional to your desired acceleration. It uses less gramarie, has a significantly higher acceleration (twice as high for equally sized weights and you can make your weights much bigger) and doesn't require exposing delicate machinery to vacuum.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Where is the pilot sitting. Inside or outside of the Semi-space? If he is inside the Semi-space he cannot see in front of him. If he is outside, explain to me why the "levers" are inside the semi-space.

It's like an Apparatus of the Crab.

I'm quite fond of gravity powered travel, so that may have been me that suggested it. If so, it was based upon a different version of the above design.
    Maybe, I don't remember who suggested it

Now, for your quick and easy ship, there are some problems. When you say semispace chain, I assume you mean the trick of creating semispaces in other semispaces instead of connecting them, right? Which would mean you can get an infinitely (theoretically) long corridor of semispaces. If that's how you're going to have your passengers get around, you would need to perpair 3 semispaces for every one passenger you hope to have, and even still they would be very cramped. This means you need 3 hours of prep time per passenger you want. No idea where you got your numbers from.
    Semi-spaces are fairly easy to construct en mass with Superconstruction and considering that using a Baccalaureate principle from a Blueprint requires no skill meaning that you can construct roughly 5,000 hours worth of work.

Honestly, this was the idea behind making a MASSIVE inside for a TaRDiS.

Another thing, with only one flux controlling the ships falling, you're not able to remain stationary and all steering is next to impossible. This is why my ship uses 5 fluxes, natural gravity, and a lot of weight. Stability and control. Good luck figuring out how to land your ship without it crashing.
    Steering with a 2-dimensional "wheel" is FAR different from steering from an omni-dimensional "wheel." The wheel in question being a Heuristic control point.

It would probably be best to add a method of shutting off the flux. I mean it's not like that would be a logical decision or anything...

Also, this isn't a portal ship at all, so there is that.
    A Portal Ship is only needed for space travel. Hell, unless you're playing with Altitude sickness rules (you're not, trust me), you don't need much for sustained flight.

I am tinkering with the idea of making Curiosity type probes with Pathways to be usable for quicker and easier terraforming of Alien planets. You sir, have inspired so many ideas

I'm pretty sure my model pre-dates whatever you think I'm reinventing. This is from the first gramarie campaign. Granted, its a scaled down version, but still.
    Well, I meant that you were trying to make new model for travel, when one already existed. It is like using a cell phone from the 80's when a Smart Phone is right in front of you.

Not like oxygen is a problem with gramarie.
    You're right. Oxygen isn't a problem with Gramarie, but it is a problem for any Gramarist that enjoys oxygen in their lungs. I am not sure if gasses can traverse through a semi-space, however I am not willing to risk it and thus the Orange Filter was made.

I am clearly missing how you're ship maintains control. I am missing how:

1. You turn your ship.
    2. You land said ship (gently).
    3. How it cannot be done with Heuristics.

A Standard actions to steer the ship into any direction you choose =/= "Unidirectional"

A Control point =/= "uncontroled"

Is it a PrC or a trick? Mine is a trick.
    Basically placing a Semi-Space tethered to a Biollurgical chassis, but thinking back it can be made much more efficiently with a PrC (Groughtsmen)

29. - Top - End - #1259

BardGuy

edit: I wrote the new stuff at the top first.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    The problem is not one of time but of quality, you're asking for reliable mechanical systems that can go from inside of your pressurized iron box to outside while making extremely precise movements over a large area. That isn't easy to do. (And I'm not at all certain silver spellouts are fair play, we already know that conventional magic is weird.)
    1) Not a space ship. No where did I say this was pressurized.
    2) The moments are not precise at all. They are regimented. So, move the lever till it clicks and half an inch of Substance (or whatever) is relieved equaling X weight.
    3) Spellouts are legitimate gramarie until Kellus makes something different, if he ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    Set up two gravity fields around weights inside of your ship, use one heuristic field to set the vector sum of their directions in the direction you want to go with magnitude proportional to your desired acceleration. It uses less gramarie, has a significantly higher acceleration (twice as high for equally sized weights and you can make your weights much bigger) and doesn't require exposing delicate machinery to vacuum.
    1) Maybe its just because I'm tired, but I feel like you're not fully grasping what it means that these weights are in semispaces in my model. Having a weight in a semispace means that it has no impact at all on anything. Being inside of the ship in a field that is altered by a circuit or outside of the ship that is in a static field, so long as its in a semispace it has no bearing on acceleration. Your model does not any higher acceleration at all by virtue of the things you have listed. Also, why are you saying the weight can be twice as much? I just picked a weight I thought would be able to fit in a typical semispace. If you are still using semispaces, then the weight remains the same, and if you are not it could be MUCH higher that twice as heavy. Tangentially, I'm having trouble picturing exactly where this weight is in space with regard to the ship. That's probably just the sleepiness though.
    2) The gravity up weight would have to weigh at least one pound more that the weight of the vessel if you want any form of upward acceleration. You also need a heuristic control panel. Assuming you got this to work as well as my model without semispacing the weights (which I find dubious) then you are using significantly less gramarie. Otherwise its only three less principles. Which isn't nothing. Hm... I'll have to check in the morning, but I think that it could be brought inside the ship with your model. The problem is that you now need 3 level 7 gramarists instead of just two. Hm... Yours seems better (would take a lot more calculation to determine how much Substance is revield and when so that you don't overshoot destinations and have to back track) but mine is good enough for what my goal was; The best possible portal ship with the least possible work.
    3) Still not a space ship.

Where is the pilot sitting. Inside or outside of the Semi-space? If he is inside the Semi-space he cannot see in front of him. If he is outside, explain to me why the "levers" are inside the semi-space.

It's like an Apparatus of the Crab.
    There are no levers inside any semispaces! I honestly have no idea where you got that from. I never said that. I am very confused by what you think... There is a portal for getting from inside the ship to fixed location X, then there is the inside of the ship. There are semispaces on the outside of the ship, who's positions relative to the ship are controlled by levers. They move so that more, less, or no weight is present inside each flux.

Semi-spaces are fairly easy to construct en mass with Superconstruction and considering that using a Baccalaureate principle from a Blueprint requires no skill meaning that you can construct roughly 5,000 hours worth of work.

Honestly, this was the idea behind making a MASSIVE inside for a TaRDiS.
    ... I don't think you're supposed to be able to do that... Even if you can, you would have to make all of those blueprints, and it would be a net lose in time.

Steering with a 2-dimensional "wheel" is FAR different from steering from an omni-dimensional "wheel." The wheel in question being a Heuristic control point.

It would probably be best to add a method of shutting off the flux. I mean it's not like that would be a logical decision or anything...
    1) A car does not fly. A plane does not have a two-dimensional steering apparatus. When you need to maintain a 3rd dimension, you need to operate in three dimensions. If you only have one flux, your ship can either only go up and down, slide along the ground while falling vertically, or fall towards the earth while also falling vertically.
    2) In my model, all fluxes are virtually inert for all practical purposes unless you move the semispace covers to introduce weight into them, and you only do that when you want to move.

A Portal Ship is only needed for space travel. Hell, unless you're playing with Altitude sickness rules (you're not, trust me), you don't need much for sustained flight.

I am tinkering with the idea of making Curiosity type probes with Pathways to be usable for quicker and easier terraforming of Alien planets. You sir, have inspired so many ideas
    ??? How can you possibly think portal ships are only needed for spacetravel? Exploration of your plant, for one thing. Going anyplace in the world that doesn't have portals set up to your current location for another. There is lots of reason to want to have a portal ship. Even disregarding all the stuff I just said, the Adventurers can go to wherever without leaving the comfort of their base.

Well, I meant that you were trying to make new model for travel, when one already existed. It is like using a cell phone from the 80's when a Smart Phone is right in front of you.
    ... This isn't new. This is old and I'm just talking about it again. I really hope your smart phone in this analogy isn't portals...

You're right. Oxygen isn't a problem with Gramarie, but it is a problem for any Gramarist that enjoys oxygen in their lungs. I am not sure if gasses can traverse through a semi-space, however I am not willing to risk it and thus the Orange Filter was made.
    Lol, no. I meant its a non-problem. Worst case scenario, semispace masks containing biostructure blocks. Two first level gramarists could throw them togeather.

I am clearly missing how you're ship maintains control. I am missing how:

1. You turn your ship.
    2. You land said ship (gently).
    3. How it cannot be done with Heuristics.

A Standard actions to steer the ship into any direction you choose =/= "Unidirectional"

A Control point =/= "uncontroled"
    1) Move weight into the semi space which is in the direction you want to go in. If its at an angle, calculate the needed pull for the two appropriate weights to get you as close to on target as possible while only needing one other weight adjustment to go to your destination. Mechanically, this is probably a knowledge (mathematics) check or something.
    2) Alter the revealed weight in the topmost flux until you are falling. Once you are approaching the ground, alter the weight again until only a small force is pulling you down. Touch down gently.
    3) The ship is piloted by physically moving mass into and out of gravity fluxes. Heuristics (barring a heuristically controlled chassis) cannot move physical objects without engines.
    4) I meant it can only move in one direction at any given time. Which is a big problem if you want to not fall.
    5) I was referring to the fact that you seem to only have one weight of which you never reduce the mass.

Basically placing a Semi-Space tethered to a Biollurgical chassis, but thinking back it can be made much more efficiently with a PrC (Groughtsmen)
    Mine involved a membrane-like muscle reaching through a portal to completely cover the "pilot" and it worked based upon opposed str checks. I don't think I ever posted it before. Not that I really count this as posting it, you understand.

NEW STUFF! I just figured out how to GREATLY reduce the production time on my portal ships. Too tired to plot it out right now, but basically its crawling through a small portal, but better than that
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-04-10 at 01:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

There are no levers inside any semispaces! I honestly have no idea where you got that from. I never said that. I am very confused by what you think... There is a portal for getting from inside the ship to fixed location X, then there is the inside of the ship. There are semispaces on the outside of the ship, who's positions relative to the ship are controlled by levers. They move so that more, less, or no weight is present inside each flux.
    Well, I'm sorry, but the image of moving items in and out of semi-spaces inspires the sight of levers. It can be anything from a steering wheel to a button to a sign that says "left" and "right" for all I care. Since you are moving objects inside of multiple semi-spaces to interact with a single object (i.e. moving weighted objects outside of a flux and into a flux to navigate).

... I don't think you're supposed to be able to do that... Even if you can, you would have to make all of those blueprints, and it would be a net lose in time.
    Blueprints are not single use items meaning that an entire group can use the same principle on a Blueprint over and over again or as a team. Just making a single Blueprint is more than enough.

1) A car does not fly. A plane does not have a two-dimensional steering apparatus. When you need to maintain a 3rd dimension, you need to operate in three dimensions. If you only have one flux, your ship can either only go up and down, slide along the ground while falling vertically, or fall towards the earth while also falling vertically.
    ... Yes, cars do not fly and planes move in 3-dimensions using a stick grip. A Stick grip would be an example of how the control point would look. It can also be a ball-control or a tri-dimensional steering wheel for all that matters.

Since the flux is in the shape of a sphere (or "bubble") simply directing the stick grip in the proper direction is enough to pilot it, meaning that any dimension a plane can fly in, the TaRDiS can also fly. As much as I'd love for the TaRDiS to have 6 control points, to keep with canon, it is suboptimal to do so.

[QUOTE=Omnicrat;15063106]2) In my model, all fluxes are virtually inert for all practical purposes unless you move the semispace covers to introduce weight into them, and you only do that when you want to move.

God forbid your vessel lands and can no longer ELEVATE because the fluxes are still pulling the vessel downwards towards the ground, since of course you have no way to turn off/on your flux without getting out.

??? How can you possibly think portal ships are only needed for spacetravel? Exploration of your plant, for one thing. Going anyplace in the world that doesn't have portals set up to your current location for another. There is lots of reason to want to have a portal ship. Even disregarding all the stuff I just said, the Adventurers can go to wherever without leaving the comfort of their base.
    You can do all of this without including a Semi-space in your ships design.

... This isn't new. This is old and I'm just talking about it again. I really hope your smart phone in this analogy isn't portals...
    It is 3 months old. It was a reference to the ideas of using an inferior model when a superior model and already functioning model is already present.

Lol, no. I meant its a non-problem. Worst case scenario, semispace masks containing biostructure blocks. Two first level gramarists could throw them togeather.
    T'was, just teasing you good sir

1) Move weight into the semi space which is in the direction you want to go in. If its at an angle, calculate the needed pull for the two appropriate weights to get you as close to on target as possible while only needing one other weight adjustment to go to your destination. Mechanically, this is probably a knowledge (mathematics) check or something.
    How are you moving the weight into and out of the Semi-space? Better yet, why does this require the pilot to even make a skill check?

Try to make your design as idiot-proof as humanly possible. A skill check is an act of chance, I sincerely don't consider it optimal to rely upon something as fickle as chance to accomplish your flight skills.

2) Alter the revealed weight in the topmost flux until you are falling. Once you are approaching the ground, alter the weight again until only a small force is pulling you down. Touch down gently.
    Alternative: Miss a skill check by 1 and crash, with your tether taking at minimum 1d6 (if you were only flying for 1 round).

I imagine I will have more to say on this matter once you tell how you are controlling the weight in the fluxs.

4) I meant it can only move in one direction at any given time. Which is a big problem if you want to not fall.
    Descend at an angle and when nested above the ground at around 1ft from the ground deactivate the flux and land roughly, but with no effect to the Semi-Space inside. This option is available because of it's omni-directional steering, however it is not available with strictly 3-dimensional steering as with your vessel.

5) I was referring to the fact that you seem to only have one weight of which you never reduce the mass.
    I'm curious how you are increasing and decreasing the mass of an object, while still keeping in with the Laws of Thermodynamics?

Mine involved a membrane-like muscle reaching through a portal to completely cover the "pilot" and it worked based upon opposed str checks. I don't think I ever posted it before. Not that I really count this as posting it, you understand.

NEW STUFF! I just figured out how to GREATLY reduce the production time on my portal ships. Too tired to plot it out right now, but basically its crawling through a small portal, but better than that
    I understand quite well, old chum I'm curious how its pilot mechanics work for this model

So basically place a small portal tethered to an object (say a medium sized bag) too be used for travel...