New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Booze in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
    OooH! Drunk texting that tends to end poorly. good luck. However some first time drinkers don't get hungover the first time. My wife didn't but then what she considers "drinking a lot" is different from what I mean when I "drink a lot"
    The drunk texting was "relatively" fine, she texted me first and I told her I was probably going to be drunk earlier that day. So I think she was prepared for me to say she's beautiful and prettyful and stuff

As for how much I drunk... I had about six or seven standard drinks I think. Which considering how I'm ridiculously underweight, it think was a fair amount for a first time. Not a lot but it seemed like a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    It also depends on what and how much you drink. There was even a Mythbusters episode on it.

Specifics elude me, but if you drink the same amount of alcohol in liquor as you do in beer, the hangover is going to be worse with the beer.

Whether you ate recently and if you're eating while drinking also matters.
    It was mainly vodka mixers, because after the first two bottles I didn't like beer immensely, so I tried other stuff. So not having much beer might have added to the not having a hangover thing.

As for eating, I drunk the first beer during dinner so that could've been a factor.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

I don't drink with any real frequency, but when I do I've found I consistently like drinks on the fruit and spice side of things. Specifically, I quite like Ouzo, Amarte, Hard lemonade, wines, and mead. As it happens, anise is my favorite spice by a healthy margin, and I also like lemon, grapes, and honey, so none of this should be surprising.

I've also had a sort of plum wine I accidentally made, and it was surprisingly good.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    It also depends on what and how much you drink. There was even a Mythbusters episode on it.

Specifics elude me, but if you drink the same amount of alcohol in liquor as you do in beer, the hangover is going to be worse with the beer.

Whether you ate recently and if you're eating while drinking also matters.
    This happens because more of the beer has much more water content than beer so you are more hydrated. If you decide to do some heavy drinking, whether it be liquor or beer (or in my case 6 bottles of sake) drinking a few glasses of ice water will help you to not be hungover the next morning ( or in my case, afternoon)
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So much bad beer at college parties. Weeeeeeeeeee!! PBR all the way, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fatty, high protein foods before or during drinking help slow the rate of absorption.

Alcohol is literally a poison to the human body. Younger, more novice drinkers tend to have an easier time rebounding from a heavy binge because their bodies are in better shape. Even reasonable, casual drinking causes a little bit of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by BizzaroStormy View Post
    This happens because more of the beer has much more water content than beer so you are more hydrated. If you decide to do some heavy drinking, whether it be liquor or beer (or in my case 6 bottles of sake) drinking a few glasses of ice water will help you to not be hungover the next morning ( or in my case, afternoon)
    Shouldn't that make the hangover worse with liquor?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    Fatty, high protein foods before or during drinking help slow the rate of absorption.

Alcohol is literally a poison to the human body. Younger, more novice drinkers tend to have an easier time rebounding from a heavy binge because their bodies are in better shape. Even reasonable, casual drinking causes a little bit of damage.

Shouldn't that make the hangover worse with liquor?
    OK, as far as I know, the following happens (insights gained though rudimentary research through google and experimentation):

beer contains salts and more water. This will lead you to urinate more and thus dehydrate quicker (even before the alcohol gets broken down by your liver). You won't have this problem with liquor b ecuase it does not contain the salts, or at least not so much and becuase it is less fluids and thusincites less to pee.

During the drinking (and for a fair amount of time afterwards) alcohol (through cheecks, esophagus and stomach) will be absorbed into the bloodstream. Once it reaches the liver, the liver will filter it out. Once filtered out the liver will process the alcohol (using enzymes) into stuff the kidneys can turn into urine. For this process the liver needs water.

So, to recover from alcohol usage you need water to turn it into stuff you can pee. then you nee dwater to make the pee, well, pee. So drinking lots of water after drinking heavily is a great idea. Now if you dirnk beer you are going through your body water supply much quicker, leading to worse case of dehydration, leading to a worde or more intense headache.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Of course, fatty, high protein foods don't work if they end up giving you food poisoning ... The worst part is you don't know you've been poisoned until it's too late.

To sum up: Beer + (Vodka * Sprite * V8 Fruit Juice) + Greasy Pizza + Subs = Throwing up 16 times in 12 hours.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2013-10-17 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    Alcohol is a poison at some dosages, yes. However, the research at the more casual drinking level shows plenty of cases where it is arguably good for you. What distinguishes alcohol from the various other things we consume that are poisonous is that having enough to get poisoned is actually feasible. Whereas to poison yourself on, say, chocolate (theobromine being the active ingredient) you need to eat something like 5 kilos in a meal if you're on the small end.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regarding beer vs liquor hangovers, I'm curious if I'm typical. Barring huge benders that all end in me being sick for half a day after waking up and then gradually working myself up to feeling alive for the remainder of the day, I usually get much worse hangovers from beer then liquor. When I drink mostly liquor, I'll get a small headache when waking up that lasts an hour tops, but when I drink a few liters of beer (even if it's spread over 6 hours and I'm never moe then a bit tipsy) I'll have a pretty bad stomachache the next morning, and it seems to be worse when the beer is especially bitter.

For example yesterday I went to a scotch tasting and drank maybe 4 ounces of liquor and a small beer over 2.5 hours and I was 100% fine this morning. But last week I drank 4 pints of 5% beer over maybe 4 hours and definitely felt it the next day

Is that the way it works for you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Regarding beer vs liquor hangovers, I'm curious if I'm typical. Barring huge benders that all end in me being sick for half a day after waking up and then gradually working myself up to feeling alive for the remainder of the day, I usually get much worse hangovers from beer then liquor. When I drink mostly liquor, I'll get a small headache when waking up that lasts an hour tops, but when I drink a few liters of beer (even if it's spread over 6 hours and I'm never moe then a bit tipsy) I'll have a pretty bad stomachache the next morning, and it seems to be worse when the beer is especially bitter.

For example yesterday I went to a scotch tasting and drank maybe 4 ounces of liquor and a small beer over 2.5 hours and I was 100% fine this morning. But last week I drank 4 pints of 5% beer over maybe 4 hours and definitely felt it the next day

Is that the way it works for you guys?
    Not really, for some reason my tolerance seems to be random. Some nights i'll be a lightweight and other nights i'll find it difficult to even get a buzz driinking varying amounts which are mostly liquor at about $40% ABV on average (frankly anything from beer to everclear) but I normally have at least half of my liquid intake being water that night followed by a powerade in the morning. My only hangover was after a night spend half-dead on someone's bathroom floor with minor alcohol poisoning. I was not up for doing anything pretty much the entire week after that.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

If I touch white wine, I'll be useless the whole next day. The headache even starts while I'm still drinking. Red wine I can drink the whole night long. Same with whiskey. Minimal hangover.

So I don't drink white wine.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm the opposite, Feytalist. Red wine or brown liquor, instead headache. White wine or clear liquor, all day every day.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    If I touch white wine, I'll be useless the whole next day. The headache even starts while I'm still drinking. Red wine I can drink the whole night long. Same with whiskey. Minimal hangover.

So I don't drink white wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    I'm the opposite, Feytalist. Red wine or brown liquor, instead headache. White wine or clear liquor, all day every day.
    and with your powers combined you are Captain Alcoholic!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

14. - Top - End - #104

This weekend I went to a friends birthday party and it was my second time drinking. This time I believe I actually got properly drunk, because despite the lack of hangover I was half-way through a doggie door at one point.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Captain Alcoholic would be an awesome superhero.

Turn up sloshed, puke in a garbage bin before freeing the little kid trapped under the bus, fly away zig-zagging crazily before crashing headfirst into the Chrysler building.

Awesome.

Edit: actually that just sounds like Hancock so whatever.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2013-10-21 at 03:02 AM.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Well, I'm planning on getting some green glittery fairy wings and antennae for halloween so I can get my boyfriend to dress up as the BOOZE FAIRY.

Was also considering seeing if I can make some sort of straw wand that has the mechanics required to be able to use it to drink stuff. I'm lazy though.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

17. - Top - End - #107

Just came back from Veradero, Cuba. With 6 big bottles of rum and liquors in tow.
    20 bucks, counting what customs charged me when I returned to Canada. Each bottle over a liter.

PS-Cuba is terrible at making Mojito's. Some places just used water rather than soda. Some couldn't muddle the mint. None of them used any lime. Not one. Even in Havana. That was odd.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Over the last few weeks I've been watching all the Bond films (don't ask) and at the weekend I found myself at a friend's housewarming. He has a bar, and asked me what I wanted, so obviously...

It was horrible. It would probably have been better had he followed any sort of recipe, or actually measured any ingredients, rather than just throwing in what he thought would be appropriate. At least I didn't do as badly as a friend of mine who ordered the same and was given it in proportions of about 5:1 Martini Bianco to vodka.

I might have to make one myself just to see what it's supposed to be like.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm gonna keep it simple and say that my favorite drink is Kilo Kai on the rocks.

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Over the last few weeks I've been watching all the Bond films (don't ask) and at the weekend I found myself at a friend's housewarming. He has a bar, and asked me what I wanted, so obviously...

It was horrible. It would probably have been better had he followed any sort of recipe, or actually measured any ingredients, rather than just throwing in what he thought would be appropriate. At least I didn't do as badly as a friend of mine who ordered the same and was given it in proportions of about 5:1 Martini Bianco to vodka.

I might have to make one myself just to see what it's supposed to be like.
    Now, to be clear, did you try to make A martini or did you try to make THE martini? Namely the Vesper?
    Either way, in my experience, guessing with martini's tends not to be the best plan. Google will provide one with a crazy amount of martini recipies and tips.

My personal favorite:
    Pour the following over ice.
    1 measure of vodka
    1 measure of gin
    1 measure of pear or melon liquor
    twist of lemon peel
    splash of lemon
    top with gingerale
    garnish with cucumber

Stir it, for love of god, don't shake it. I read somewhere that Bond was an idiot for ordering his shaken. Never ever shake a martini with gin in it.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2013-10-24 at 01:21 PM.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Never ever shake a martini with gin in it.
    In real life, it will explode.

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Now, to be clear, did you try to make A martini or did you try to make THE martini? Namely the Vesper?

Stir it, for love of god, don't shake it. I read somewhere that Bond was an idiot for ordering his shaken. Never ever shake a martini with gin in it.
    It was a normal vodka martini. I wouldn't have been confident in my recollection of the ingredients of the Vesper nor of their availability (especially since you can't get one of them any more).

From what I've heard/read, the only differences between a shaken and stirred vodka martini are clarity and texture; it doesn't affect the flavour so much as with a normal martini.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    It was a normal vodka martini. I wouldn't have been confident in my recollection of the ingredients of the Vesper nor of their availability (especially since you can't get one of them any more).
    Actually, Kina Lillet, the only ingredient you couldn't get until a few years ago since the company went out of business, is back in production, or so I hear tell. If not, pear wine is supposed to be an excellent (and cheap) substitute.

From what I've heard/read, the only differences between a shaken and stirred vodka martini are clarity and texture; it doesn't affect the flavour so much as with a normal martini.
    False. You break up the ice, which has the effect of watering it down. It also bruises the Gin, which ruins the flavor and texture, though that is a matter of personal preference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken,_not_stirred
    Last edited by Karoht; 2013-10-24 at 03:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

False. You break up the ice, which has the effect of watering it down. It also bruises the Gin, which ruins the flavor and texture, though that is a matter of personal preference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken,_not_stirred
    There's no gin in a vodka martini, so bruising isn't a concern.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I might be forced to sig this.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    I might be forced to sig this.
    go ahead dear...

Anyway, on the topic of shaken versus stirred:

the general rule is clear liquids are stirred, non-clear liquids are shaken.

Shaking will give a cocktail stronger cooling (reducing taste a bit), stirring will keep the cocktail clear and both dilute about as much.

Shaking also induces an airy texture while stirring keeps it smooth.

as for bruising the gin, that may be to taste. Some poeple like it, some people don't, and I think a lto of people can't taste the diffrence...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #117

So I've come to a terrible realization.
    When I drink too much, my stomach lining itself tends to not do well afterwards. I won't get into the icky details, suffice to say that what I am describing does not involve vomit.

As for 'too much' and how do I know when I've hit it? Two or three days later symptoms start.

So the next time I choose to imbibe, I'm going to ensure there is much more food in my stomach rather than less. Usually I have paired up alcohol with some snacking (food first of course). I'm going to try more carbs (breads) and less fatty foods, see if that does the trick.

28. - Top - End - #118

RedWizardGuy

Bad news for all you fermented grape lovers: There's a wine shortage on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Bad news for all you fermented grape lovers: There's a wine shortage on the horizon.
    Better start stockpiling now.

Then again, over here there's a distinct "keep it local" attitude, especially among wineries. So while the rest of the world might dry up, South Africa's wine cellars will stay stocked

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MacAilbert View Post
    For all of you who choose to drink alcohol, what are your favorite drinks? Personally, I love the idea of cocktails, but I don't have the money to buy a lot of ingredients or a place to store them, and I don't have the money to go to bars very often (if I could afford to, I would), so I rarely drink them, and when I do it's highly simple, like vodka and limeaid. I generally drink my alcohol straight, whether it's beer or hard liquor.

I am a great lover of beer. Specifically, I like craft beers, and I love looking for new ones to try when I have the cash. It's not a matter of disliking mainstream stuff (I quite like Guiness), I just like trying out different combinations and inventive ideas, and I'm a sucker for a fun name and label.

I also love whisky, and I spell it like that because I currently drink Canadian whisky (Crown Royal, to be exact), though I'm thinking of trying out a scotch or two (Glenfidditch sounds amazing) when I have the money, or maybe a Japanese whiskey.

For vodka, it's all about Absolut. Their product is affordable and reasonable quality, and the advertising campaign has me sucked in.

I'm considering experimenting with rum, schnapps, sake, and tequila, but I haven't done so yet. I dream of trying mead, but have no idea where to find it (if anyone knows of a source in Santa Clara County, California, please tell me).

Though I'm a California native, I have little experience with wine, and don't see myself becoming a wine or brandy drinker. I have no specific problem with wine, it's just never caught my interest and I haven't done much experimentation with it. Last time I had wine it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good, either. To be fair, it was a cheap wine.
    Sake is best enjoyed warm in my opinion.

On the cocktail front, let me suggest to you the Surfer Bob, Reed's Ginger Beer, your vodka of choice and a splash of pomegranate juice over the top.

Anyone out there know some good gin cocktails beside the old faithful that is the G&T? Looking to expand my repetoire a bit.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.