New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIII: Luna's Sordid Dreams? I'm Not Googling That...

So the fanart has begun to what should be no pony's surprise.

Spoiler: ?????
    Show

What's in the Mystery Box of Plot Importance?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIII: Luna's Sordid Dreams? I'm Not Googling That...

Spoiler: Season 4 opener
    Show

Edit: woah!
    Spoiler: Season 4 opening
    Show
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2013-11-23 at 11:33 AM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    So the fanart has begun to what should be no pony's surprise.

Spoiler: ?????
    Show

1, it ain't Tuesday yet, put that in spoilers.

2, well, I've already given my theory. I even beat TV tropes to it
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S4E1-2 First impressions and thoughts
    Show
    As seems to be the consensus so far, the biggest slip was definitely the awkward handling of the "Go Home, Twilight" thing. I agree with Anarion that there's a valuable and sensible lesson in there, but it was handled really, really poorly.

I suppose slips like that happen from time to time, even to a show as good as FiM. Still, it was a downer of a scene.

The rest of the episode was okay, not great. It felt like they wanted to say a lot, show a lot, reassure a lot of concerns about Twilight's new role, and make a lot of big points, and this led to a lot of talking and exposition and idle back and forth.

It felt a bit unfocused and a tiny bit preachy.

I also feel like Twilight was made to look way too helpless and in need of constant saving. I think that was part of the above problem, trying to make a point about her new status, which kinda fell flat and I'm not sure what point was being made exactly.

I wouldn't say it was ruined, but it definitely could have been a better pair of episodes. It felt a tiny bit ... what's the word, like it could have all been done in a single episode. That's actually strange, it's usually the other way around.

Discord's entire role in this was brilliant, though.

I'm sure more thoughts will come bit by bit in the coming hours and days.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1, it ain't Tuesday yet, put that in spoilers.
    It is in spoilers.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

On the theory on
    Spoiler: Season 4 spoiler ep1 and 2
    Show
    discord not helping the mane 6? My theory says he's god of chaos.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #607

It is in spoilers.
    your question implies things about the episodes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Asking what's in the box tells others that there is indeed a box.

and my spell cheack tride to turn indeed into undead. I choose to blame Bleakbane.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and
    Spoiler: S4
    Show
    Celestia, and Luna now too, continue to be utterly defenseless and in need of constant saving. Is it a princess theme? If you're a princess, you must be saved from trouble by others.

It was good to see Luna kicking Celestia's tail in the flashback, though. Even if it was without Celestia fighting back.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Spoiler theory
    Show
    I think, that, since the box has six keys, and there are six mane characters, that each member of the Mane 6 will find a mysterious Key after learning an important lesson about friendship.
    S4 Theory Heat Death Expansion
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope this means each of them gets at least one episode centered on themselves then.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Spoiler: S4e1-2
    Show
    It most definitely was dark magic. Which, of course, brings up the question as to why a zebra would create a potion that requires the dark magic of an alicorn to have any effect. And just conveniently has it prepared as she was fleeing the forest for her life.
    S4 Ep1-2
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Without darkness there can be no light."

We know very little about dark magic, but it might not be necessarily evil. We've seen it do illusions and visions, so perhaps it's magic that deals with memories and the mind?

Yeah, Zecora is crazy prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Show
    Nice catch.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    On the theory on
    Spoiler: Season 4 spoiler ep1 and 2
    Show
    discord not helping the mane 6? My theory says he's god of chaos.
    S4 Theory #34
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, he seemed to be enjoying the chaos as much as possible before it ended. I don't blame him.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

So, anybody have any non-spoilery opinions about the opener for those who have to wait until Netflix updates to watch it?

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Master View Post
    So, anybody have any non-spoilery opinions about the opener for those who have to wait until Netflix updates to watch it?
    Summary of my thoughts, non-spoilery: It was mildly disappointing, had some issues, could have been a single episode. Not terrible, though.

12. - Top - End - #612

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Oh, and
    Spoiler: S4
    Show
    Celestia, and Luna now too, continue to be utterly defenseless and in need of constant saving. Is it a princess theme? If you're a princess, you must be saved from trouble by others.
    S4 Defense
    Spoiler
    Show
    So who get's first dibs on saving the Commodore?

It's exciting and high quality. There is lots to see, so don't blink.
    Worthy of a season opener.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #613

My opinion is that you need to whatch it ASAP!

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Happy birthday, Deadly!
    Spoiler: Season 4 first lesson
    Show
    The timing was lackluster there, probably the worst part of the episode. What I find interesting is that the lesson isn't all that clear. They were together, Twilight almost got hurt, and what made them change was the realization that if all the princesses dropped, Equestria would kind of fall apart (or Cadance would come back and the Crystal Empire would fall apart, minor details). It's a reasonable idea that I hope they explore more: being a leader means being responsible for other people, and that sometimes means not doing the things you want to do because you need to be leading instead.

There's a good lesson in sending Twilight back. In another context where it wasn't so painfully obvious what needed to be done, sending Twilight back, or perhaps leaving her back from the start could easily have been the right choice. I'd love to see a story where the lesson is that when you're in charge, you can't run off and do your own thing, but need to be responsible for the people you're in charge of.
    Yeah, in any other episode, it probably would have been great. But the scenario this episode presents? Not so much.
    Show

Show
    Okay, that is really neat.
    Spoiler
    Show

*Insert Se7en reference here*
    First, you should probably look into finding a Youtube link or grab it from Itunes or something, because it is going to be a loooooooong time before Netflix gets these.
    Second, I thought it was pretty good with only one really glaring issue.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

also..as has been mentioned it feels like they stepped it up a notch on animation

whether that be from just more time spent learning/knowing the system they use
    or a bigger budget
    or just that they had so much time to work on it none of us can really say

but if they keep it lookin this good all season i would be quite a happy pony

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    S4 Defense
    Spoiler
    Show
    So who get's first dibs on saving the Commodore?
    you
    win unfortunately for you what you win is a visit from Darkspark when the Commodore sees this...
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2013-11-23 at 11:49 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Gee

Spoiler: Actual Crazy Theory
    Show
    So here's a thought. Zecora mentions that the potionelixir can be whitened only by "alicorn magic". But this is not the magic of friendship, as Magical Mystery Cure implied. No, no! It is a kind of magic we've seen only three, maybe four ponies use: Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight and King Sombra, with Sunset Shimmer as an edge case based solely on similar, though not identical, visual effects. Perhaps what we know as "dark magic" is, in fact, a kind of "alicorn magic," one only that breed can use without going all demon-y or "crystals, slaves, blargh" on us. Note that Luna's transformation was not accompanied by "dark magic", and that she did not use it after her transformation.
    Spoiler: Crazy theories continued
    Show
    An interesting thought is that Trixie using the Alicorn amulet also had a different visual effect. Perhaps that amulet was developed specifically as a way to give somepony "alicorn magic" who couldn't normally use it, and the reason it drives ponies to evil who wear it is precisely as you said: using that sort of magic if you're not an alicorn makes you start going "crystals!, slaves! blargh!" or some variation thereof depending on individual personality.

Show

Show
    Huh? That second one is too blurry, I don't get what we're supposed to be seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Spoiler: S4E1-2 First impressions and thoughts
    Show
    As seems to be the consensus so far, the biggest slip was definitely the awkward handling of the "Go Home, Twilight" thing. I agree with Anarion that there's a valuable and sensible lesson in there, but it was handled really, really poorly.

I suppose slips like that happen from time to time, even to a show as good as FiM. Still, it was a downer of a scene.

The rest of the episode was okay, not great. It felt like they wanted to say a lot, show a lot, reassure a lot of concerns about Twilight's new role, and make a lot of big points, and this led to a lot of talking and exposition and idle back and forth.

It felt a bit unfocused and a tiny bit preachy.

I also feel like Twilight was made to look way too helpless and in need of constant saving. I think that was part of the above problem, trying to make a point about her new status, which kinda fell flat and I'm not sure what point was being made exactly.

I wouldn't say it was ruined, but it definitely could have been a better pair of episodes. It felt a tiny bit ... what's the word, like it could have all been done in a single episode. That's actually strange, it's usually the other way around.

Discord's entire role in this was brilliant, though.

I'm sure more thoughts will come bit by bit in the coming hours and days.
    Spoiler: Responding to Deadly
    Show
    No, I still think they didn't have enough time. The problem with sending Twilight away and having her come back is that it was too sudden and then too quick of a turnaround. I think there was no way to do this in one episode because the flashbacks and the problem explanation almost took up a full episode slot by themselves. And even with two episodes, the new aspect of the conflict was handled very quickly and really was lackluster.

If anything, I'd have preferred they found a way to send Twilight Sparkle out of the group at the end of the first episode and then spent part of the second episode contemplating the conflict between her status and her desire to be in the thick of things with her friends. Had that gone on longer and we'd had more time both to explain why Twilight needed to separate and why it was a problem, it would have held up better than the less than 5 minute exile+rejoin that we got.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh? That second one is too blurry, I don't get what we're supposed to be seeing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Discord is in the windows.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Its pretty good.

Probably a bit misnamed as "Princess Twilight" since this is more an ensemble adventure episode then a Twilight focus episode. But I quibble there. Makes good use of a lot of characters, or at least reasonable use.

For a "Big" episode does more filling holes in the background then introducing new stuff... but I suspect people will love it for that.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler: S4 CMC plot
    Show
    Did anyone else notice that Sweetie Belle was affected by the same magic incontinence spell that affected Rarity? And that she was the only member of the CMC to actually get lines in either part of the opener?

I do hope this means that she'll actually learn how to harness her magic this season, along with Scootaloo learning how to fly.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    you
    win unfortunately for you what you win is a visit from Darkspark when the Commodore sees this...
    Given how long since anyone physically visited me... I'll bring out the good china set.
    Spoiler: Not a Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Crazy theories continued
    Show
    An interesting thought is that Trixie using the Alicorn amulet also had a different visual effect. Perhaps that amulet was developed specifically as a way to give somepony "alicorn magic" who couldn't normally use it, and the reason it drives ponies to evil who wear it is precisely as you said: using that sort of magic if you're not an alicorn makes you start going "crystals!, slaves! blargh!" or some variation thereof depending on individual personality.
    S4 Crazy Theories the 3rd
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a web comic called "Two Kinds" and it has been established there that a specific race is unable to mentally handle using magic. If they do, it slowly drives them insane. Why? Their minds just aren't capable of handling it.

So yeah, I can merit in this theory. Non-alicorns using such powerful magics can be a problem if you're not physically/mentally strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Spoiler: S4 CMC plot
    Show
    Did anyone else notice that Sweetie Belle was affected by the same magic incontinence spell that affected Rarity? And that she was the only member of the CMC to actually get lines in either part of the opener?

I do hope this means that she'll actually learn how to harness her magic this season, along with Scootaloo learning how to fly.
    S4 CMC Plot
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did notice that as well. I guess that means Sweetie's horn is capable of magic (which the spell was drawing upon) and she just needs to learn the control of the thing herself. I'm excited!
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-11-23 at 12:02 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #621
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It was pretty good overall. There were a few awkward points with how it all played out, but nothing overly distracting. There were several characters that had some important parts, other than just the main six.

Its pretty good.

Probably a bit misnamed as "Princess Twilight" since this is more an ensemble adventure episode then a Twilight focus episode. But I quibble there. Makes good use of a lot of characters, or at least reasonable use.

For a "Big" episode does more filling holes in the background then introducing new stuff... but I suspect people will love it for that.
    Show
    A lot of it was about Twilight dealing with being a princess, making decisions and responsibilities and stuff. Yeah, the action plot itself didn't depend on her being a princess at all, but quite a bit of it did.

It probably wouldn't make much sense to see another episode named "Princess Twilight Sparkle" anyways, so they might as well make use of it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

22. - Top - End - #622

S4 Comic Art Already. Kinda Funny Actually (and tall).
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a Spoiler Art of Luna/Chrysalis (but a bit wide)~
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-11-23 at 12:10 PM. Reason: We all need a little tagging
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Season spoilers
    Show
    Haven't been able to watch the episode yet, but according to Meghan McCarthy's twitter there's a season-long story arc planned.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Show
    A lot of it was about Twilight dealing with being a princess, making decisions and responsibilities and stuff. Yeah, the action plot itself didn't depend on her being a princess at all, but quite a bit of it did.

It probably wouldn't make much sense to see another episode named "Princess Twilight Sparkle" anyways, so they might as well make use of it now.
    I don't entirely disagree just feel that topic was more of an underlying theme then truly the focus... given I personally anticipate we'll be visiting that topic quite a bit this season.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Nice catch.
    Can't take credit for that, I'm afraid.

S4 Comic Art Already. Kinda Funny Actually (and tall).
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comic. An entire S4 comic. Vectored and coloured. After only 2 hours.

The fandom continues to amaze.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

Not to take away from the amazement, but much of the background appeared in the various promos.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Other then a name in there its basically all preview material... so pixelkitties cheated.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

Not to take away from the amazement, but much of the background appeared in the various promos.
    Other then a name in there its basically all preview material... so pixelkitties cheated.
    Oh. Okay. Nevermind.

Have some S4 fanart instead then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. Okay. Nevermind.

Have some S4 fanart instead then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I laughed far too hard at this.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fave Se4 Art So Far:

Spoiler
    Show