New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! GOTY Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Just a heads up, rumors abound that Crown Prince Rion Hazael is a political animal, and has ideas to create a Constitutional Monarchy. It looks like the Triumvirate is going all in, while Celero is trying it's hand at a democratic state.
    Aww crap. Looks like his future wife is already rubbing off on him.....
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! (Fish, Saffron & Ginger Editi

There's also the idea of setting up a court to try nations that violate specific actions deemed crimes by the group. The trick is deciding what is a crime, what qualifies as punishment, and how they will be tried.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! (Fish, Saffron & Ginger Editi

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Though, on the matter of the Shahidi Mkuu, it would be interesting if they were reborn in the territory of Ashenia, the idea of reincarnation being considered blasphemous and the Radurjic faith illegal and all that...
    These are things that I consider when deciding where to reincarnate : P The place I'm looking at now might cause some political upheaval, still working it out. Ashenia would probably be a dangerous place though... both for the Shahidi Mkuu and Ashenia, should something go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Excellent. An unexpected and potentially hilarious loophole closed.

In any case, all things considered, it's probably best to slowly ease into a new system of governance rather than rush things. And besides, this exciting new experiment in the lands of the Triumvirate should help to determine whether or not the parliamentary system I was thinking of introducing at some point will be a wise idea. As such, I applaud your initiative in volunteering to make the first step.

Though, on the matter of the Shahidi Mkuu, it would be interesting if they were reborn in the territory of Ashenia, the idea of reincarnation being considered blasphemous and the Radurjic faith illegal and all that...
    Thanks for pointing it out as well. That could be been far too interesting

I figure the same OOC. Without a violent revolution its not too easy to change governance too drastically. That said, it doesn't mean some of the more enthusiastic new wave thinkers aren't experiencing a rush and desire to change more. That'll likely die down a tad once the first wave of Democrats (which I'm thinking of calling the Shaeldtae loyal party because all the good party names exist already) dies off or retires but it'll probably have a resurgence at some point.

I'm glad some other nations are looking at the new structure with a potentially appraising eye. I figure its kinda a mashup of the Roman Republic and early US governance at this point, mixed with some monarchial flavor in various areas, and a zest of reincarnating Pope to finish.

I've been under the assumption Morph was going to have the next reincarnation be in Ashenia or Salterri/Priory lands for a while now purely for the lulz and would be shocked beyond all reason if the next Shahidi Mkuu was born anywhere with even an inkling of Radurjic leanings

The court idea is alright, but very reactionary and therefore kinda slow leaving gaps where some nation might just go ahead and react without going to the court for speed's sake rather than waste time/an action going there to petition anything.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok... so looking at what Quinton and Imp said I know realize that nobody had any idea that I chose where Mosi was reincarnated. >.>

Morph had nothing to do with it outside of giving me the ok It was planned between Zap and myself because he was interested in converting his nations and it was a good springboard.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Ok... so looking at what Quinton and Imp said I know realize that nobody had any idea that I chose where Mosi was reincarnated. >.>

Morph had nothing to do with it outside of giving me the ok It was planned between Zap and myself because he was interested in converting his nations and it was a good springboard.
    How did this never come up in our conversations?

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    How did this never come up in our conversations?
    Because it's more fun to surprise people. I'm still not going to tell you where I'm going next.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Because it's more fun to surprise people. I'm still not going to tell you where I'm going next.
    ...No fair, now I want a secret thing to spring on you two.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

No surprise, the plan to build a UN is going about as well as it did in the real world.

Hopefully, it is all IC drama, and no one is actually getting upset over this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

I for one am not. I enjoy a little IC friction and establishing a UN is super difficult, especially at the level of world advancement we're at at this point.

Also, zab, you stinker!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Well this is going well. Good old Tupelo, still causing problems 25 years on...
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Revolutionaries do tend to do that sometimes.

Anyway, I figure its time to start debating some international relations theory. Who knew my International Relations Poli Sci class freshman year would be relevant to a forum game...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Default EMPIRE! VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! GOTY Edition!

Revolutionaries do tend to do that sometimes.

Anyway, I figure its time to start debating some international relations theory. Who knew my International Relations Poli Sci class freshman year would be relevant to a forum game...
    A game of the year edition, that's who knew.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    giggle giggle snort giggle.....
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Unless a rule can exist in which raised units can be put forward into a Security Council's (for lack of a better word) control (assuming it would be some sort of vote thing among member nations on what to do with them in times of need) rather than still under the direct jurisdiction of a nation I question whether any such proposal could be anything more than whoever has the biggest guns directing "world peace" as they see it.
    Isn't that kind of what happens in the real world? Except that when they get sent by the UN they just wear different helmets. (I should prolly not go further into that subject matter.)

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Do NOT give Morph any ideas please.
    I was thinking the next reincarnation should be a baby in Tzalteclan. Then one year later in Ashenia maybe.

The "upon death of character X" events are there for a reason. I was thinking it'd be cool to have multiple candidates for Mosi and the BA to still have a bit of an investigative event bit to it, rather than "ohey white eyes, here's your Mosi, have fun". Zab might well have different ideas for that though, and I haven't discussed with him on including anything for Mosi in the "upon death" events.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-07-01 at 06:27 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Isn't that kind of what happens in the real world? Except that when they get sent by the UN they just wear different helmets. (I should prolly not go further into that subject matter.)
    The only distinction is that UN peacekeepers remain under the command of their respective national militaries. I think what's being proposed at the council is an independent security force a la most anime interpretations of the UN.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    most anime interpretations of the UN.
    Considering that's a safe subject: what? There's anime involving that?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Considering that's a safe subject: what? There's anime involving that?
    In my experience, it's pretty common in certain types of anime (which, looking into it, seem to be giant robot anime almost exclusively, so oops on the "most" in my above post) for the UN or UN stand-in to be less "global debate forum" and more "world government", with all the power that implies. Evangelion is the first example that comes to mind.

There's even a tropes page.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Part of the problem with a court/international reaction force, etc. is that it's really slow, at least as far as this game goes. This is partly an OOC issue, but it has major IC implications. If every time anyone wants to do anything with a major international impact it has to be put through a UN-esque procedure, it's realistically going to take a minimum of five years and most likely at least ten by the time a summit has been convened and people have arranged the actions to commit resources to deal with it. This doesn't just provide RP problems but it also has an impact on the actual ability to resolve the problem, since even if we decide to take action it buys the "respondent" party time to raise more troops and militias, spread their faith if that's what they're after, and so forth.

To take everyone's favourite example, Tupelo, Murgen was considerate enough to have him usurp the throne at almost the end of the round, which meant we were able to kill him off quite quickly IC in the following round. But if he'd done so at an earlier date in the round, and we'd had to wait until the following round before calling an international summit, then it's all starting to drag a bit. Moreover, Tupelo would have been able to do at least one round of conversions, which, if successful, could well have led to the more laissez-faire nations going "ah, leave it" on the basis not that his actions were right but that they would cause more trouble than it was worth. As it happens the movement to take him down was actually pretty international (we had representatives from five PCs on the assassin team, and support from at least one more) but because it was arranged unofficially we were able to act on it quickly.

This is of course an actual real-life IC problem to an extent too: of course it's going to take longer to do things through official channels. But the way the game is set up at the moment means it would take not just a bit longer (a few weeks/months) but a whole lot longer - too much really (several years) - and I think it's something that would need to be borne in mind for anything we set up at the Summit.

There doesn't seem to be much agreement on anything so far, though.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-07-01 at 07:40 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh, yes, arguing in the senate before there even IS a senate. Excellent! Palpatine Opus steeples his fingers.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent.

Also, one would have expected Woodwind to primarily feature, y'know, music that their name might reflect.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Pavonian music favors drums and lots of brass instruments. Stringed instruments are sometimes favored for storytelling, while woodwinds are very rare.

On a totally different note, the Qzare is getting some mixed messages from Pavonia about their blockade. Gilgamesh himself is officially Very Annoyed, but he's pragmatic enough to admit that it is a legitimate military tactic (which he's used himself in the past), and is willing to set up a secondary trade with the Qzare along the lines suggested (goats for hellstone). Keep in mind that this is in addition to the trade agreement with Quinton, it doesn't replace it.
    I don't imagine the blockade can reasonably be sustained next round since its presumably connected to Zhuang. Once that clears up I'd be happy to continue our trade and set up something for the Sulphur.

@Woodwind, you would expect that, but nope.

@The Summit: Yeah, OOC I can't see how an actual council could sustain itself since it would take rounds and rounds to do anything internationally. (Again, not going to stray into Real World politics :P) I think the track of trying to establish a set of laws to be enforced internationally across borders may be the best thing that comes out of this (and may not actually take off all over) Unless aliens invade (and probably not even then) I don't think Telluris is going to sign on to a world government or even a UN.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the track of trying to establish a set of laws to be enforced internationally across borders may be the best thing that comes out of this (and may not actually take off all over) Unless aliens invade (and probably not even then) I don't think Telluris is going to sign on to a world government or even a UN.
    That is the direction Opus is trying to steer things- so his future inlaws can save some face.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Now what poor sucker is going to get stuck with actually writing out some long winded treaty regarding extradition of criminals and technological rights and blah blah blah? Not it!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Now what poor sucker is going to get stuck with actually writing out some long winded treaty regarding extradition of criminals and technological rights and blah blah blah? Not it!
    Well, I have an 8 hour drive, all by my self, to make tomorrow, so I could probably work out some general details, but honestly it doesn't need to be written in detail, just some general point of agreement IC- then the rulers let all the sages and scribes go to work on the details.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I just checked the Geneva Convention on prisoners of war and, man, is it long. Obviously some of it will not be applicable since it was designed for modern warfare: I doubt many of our armies have proper uniforms, carry ID, have serial numbers, etc. The key points there that we should probably transfer across I think are:
    • Prisoners should not be killed, injured, tortured or subjected to non-consensual invasive or experimental procedures.
    • Sick and wounded prisoners should be treated in the same manner as sick and wounded soldiers of the detaining power.
    • Prisoners should be accorded the same civil dignities as in their country of origin.
    • Collective punishment is forbidden.
    • Prisoners (including civilian prisoners) should not be pressed into service against their originating state.
    • Prisoners (including civilian prisoners) should not be used as hostages.

There is obviously a whole bunch more but that might be enough for our purposes. I might also include a mandatory offer of parole (in a classic sense) for officers, noblemen etc. - i.e. they are allowed to remain practically at liberty (within the town or camp designated as their prison) and in possession of their weapons so long as they give their word not to escape or harm their captors. Obviously if they break their word they forfeit their rights (and if in doing so they kill or attack anyone they can be prosecuted for that as a crime).

I don't think any of the above should be controversial, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

On religion, my proposed stipulation would essentially be that all religious activity is subject to the secular law of whatever territory it takes place in.

On technology and extradition, I'm interested to see what peoples' views are. I don't anticipate reaching a consensus on that (or on religion, for that matter).

Also, Silverbit, your inbox is full.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Probably be easier to get signatures for Parole doesn't include letting the high ranking fellow keep his weapon. I know it was done back in the day and generally honor upheld things, but ever since the BA's assassination people have been jumpy about letting rulers carry weapons so trusting officers as prisoners during a war might be a stretch.

On religion perhaps a clause that any actions taken in the name of a religion to harm or kill a sentient being ought to be considered unacceptable and the religion in question dealt with by the state possessing it with ability to request assistance with such matters? I can see that being disputed of course.

I think extradition could go over well enough (though any nation that isn't at this Summit could become a haven of outlaws) but technological rights is more questionable whether a consensus can be met or not. There's a stark contrast between those who clamp down on all their techs and others who trade and spread them liberally and that's probably going to prevent much in the way of compromise coming there.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-07-01 at 09:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

On religion perhaps a clause that any actions taken in the name of a religion to harm or kill a sentient being ought to be considered unacceptable and the religion in question dealt with by the state possessing it with ability to request assistance with such matters? I can see that being disputed of course.
    Hahahahahahahaha...

Oh, you were serious.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha...

Oh, you were serious.
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about the ritual slaughter and rampant slavery in Tzalteclan. Meh, I'm not near it

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about the ritual slaughter and rampant slavery in Tzalteclan. Meh, I'm not near it
    And my neighbors are cool with it, so it works out.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.