New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default half dragon wife

Forum I come to you today asking for your help.
    I am dming a game and I wanted to make some flavor based npcs with the pcs stats, they have a 37 point buy, and are level 7. My challenge is finding a class I could give a red halfdragon. whom wishes to marry one of the party members, offer high appraisal skills, and be as cute of stay at home wife as you can. Any and all books will work so long as she doesnt enter combat.
    Last edited by Thevoidlingcat; 2014-07-05 at 07:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: half dragon wife

Expert. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Half-dragons are bad spellcasters, and having spells seems bad in this case. How about a dragon-flavored warlock with no combat emphasis? Invocations are pretty easy to select (small number known), feats are pretty easy (Extra Invocation once she qualifies, the one from Races of the Dragon that allows half-dragon to breath every d4 rounds, etc), and invocations can be used at will, meaning no keeping track of spells memorized or spell slots used (should she ever use them).

I'm picturing a scaley woman with flaming-red, spikey hair with an apron. With a wand of unseen servant and an item of continual mage hand to hold utensils and crack eggs, she makes her husband breakfast. With EB she kills the rat that's been getting into the garbage. With her dragon breath, she flame broils the steak of her significant other. With her Str-rating, she never needs help opening pickle jars.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    I'm picturing a scaley woman with flaming-red, spikey hair with an apron. With a wand of unseen servant and an item of continual mage hand to hold utensils and crack eggs, she makes her husband breakfast. With EB she kills the rat that's been getting into the garbage. With her dragon breath, she flame broils the steak of her significant other. With her Str-rating, she never needs help opening pickle jars.
    First time I'm doing this, can I sig this? Is just too funny.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Factotum
    Or
    Dragonfire Adept

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    First time I'm doing this, can I sig this? Is just too funny.
    You certainly may. I'm always glad when people think I said something clever in between all my other drooling rambling.

Also, it might be cool for her to eventually invest in Obtain Familiar and Extra Familiar. Familiars-as-housepets/domestic help would be pretty awesome. Toy poodle butler. Parrot chef. Hermit crab nanny/conductor.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Half-dragons are bad spellcasters, and having spells seems bad in this case. How about a dragon-flavored warlock with no combat emphasis? Invocations are pretty easy to select (small number known), feats are pretty easy (Extra Invocation once she qualifies, the one from Races of the Dragon that allows half-dragon to breath every d4 rounds, etc), and invocations can be used at will, meaning no keeping track of spells memorized or spell slots used (should she ever use them).

Love it, thank you

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Taking a different tack on things,I'd head for a Half dragon Succubus wife with maybe Factotum as her class if you ever need one. To avoid combat, just make her good aligned with a Vow of Peace. As a bonus, it would make for a fairly blissful family life.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nah, she'd just be uber-passive-aggressive and naggy.
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

More incentive to go adventuring?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm ... I'd go with a Half-Dragon Changeling Bard. Tons of skill points for Crafting household needs, Diplomacy for keeping good household relations (and potentially getting good prices with merchants), Perform for entertainment (of varying varieties, depending on which third-party sourcebooks are allowed), and Changeling gives the ability to look however she wants at any given time. Bardic Knowledge makes her a great teacher for the kids. The spell list can help out as well: Lullaby and Sleep spells for when the kids absolutely won't settle down for the night, Locate Object for when you can't find the keys to your horse, Repel Vermin to keep the house nice and clean, Major Image can help if there's a complete kitchen disaster (smell strongly influences taste), Prestidigitation for other random needs.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2014-07-09 at 02:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Perform for entertainment (of varying varieties, depending on which third-party sourcebooks are allowed)
    Perform for entertainment (of varying varieties, depending on which third-party sourcebooks are allowed)
    Oh you naughty dog you.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

or you could, you know, just make her someone who doesn't like fighting, like most NORMAL people.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the above postings are offensive. As a red half dragon, this woman is a strong, intelligent, self-assured woman, with a driven ambition for what she wants. The suggestion that she be a trick pony housewife is disgusting.

Also, probably extremely possessive, manipulative and cunning. Don't you know redheads have a 50/50 chance of being crazy?

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    or you could, you know, just make her someone who doesn't like fighting, like most NORMAL people.
    Because Half-RED Dragons are so well know for their even tempers and lack of inclination to fight things.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    I think the above postings are offensive. As a red half dragon, this woman is a strong, intelligent, self-assured woman, with a driven ambition for what she wants. The suggestion that she be a trick pony housewife is disgusting.

Also, probably extremely possessive, manipulative and cunning. Don't you know redheads have a 50/50 chance of being crazy?
    The OP wanted one that was supposed to stay at home, so ofc most of the responses will present such. Now, whether the half-red dragon warlock will stay in Stepford-mode, that's an entirely different matter.

(Go for it, DM-san! Gambatte!)

Extended Sigbox

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

... This is going to turn into Mink's mother from Dragon Half, isn't it?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... This is going to turn into Mink's mother from Dragon Half, isn't it?
    Her mother, Mana, was a full (kaiser) dragon who simply shapechanged into a human form.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Half-dragons are bad spellcasters
    Why? I see a charisma boost, a constitution boost and no penalties. A breath weapon, too, I guess. And natural attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post

You are trying to tell me that a descendant of a red dragon would want to leave her "lair" (I mean home), especially when all the treasure and wealth belongs in her lair.

A red dragon would be a narcissistic personality, very possessive, very egoistical. She would have a very talented husband for she will only take the best. That said her husband while awesome also shows off how awesome she is, and thus sometimes the husband is a trophy husband. She would see other families and other wifes and husbands as beneath her. Anything that is even close to a rival she will kill, eviscerate, or diminish.

In other words she is a social queen bee in high school, with a serious mean streak.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Why? I see a charisma boost, a constitution boost and no penalties. A breath weapon, too, I guess. And natural attacks.
    +3 Level adjustment is a grave penalty... for player characters.

For an NPC (who will stay at home anyway), it's irrelevant, since she could have over 9000 sorcerer levels if the DM wants.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh a half red dragon would also be vivacious and lascivious, but she would also be bossy on how she wants it.

A half dragon and true dragons always know what they desire, and they must always add nice trinkets to their opulent assortment of treasures.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    +3 Level adjustment is a grave penalty... for player characters.

For an NPC (who will stay at home anyway), it's irrelevant, since she could have over 9000 sorcerer levels if the DM wants.
    ...but it is an NPC...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

...but it is an NPC...
    Exactly. That's why it's not really a penalty.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Anyway, now I'm imagining you having to hunt down the father to ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage. That is, assuming the dragon is the father. But either way, love is love. I feel like this relationship holds as much validity as any in a roleplaying game, provided that this is treated as such.

The following pointers should prove useful:
    • She isn't just a regular cohort. She should act like a person with their own interests, but the PCs should respect those interests moreso than a normal cohort.
    • She won't just follow the PCs blindly: As above, she is not a cohort. She's a wife. She should be treated like a PC in her behaviors and the real likelihood that she will want to do her own thing.
    • She isn't just there to work for you: She is a sentient, living being. Don't treat her like a dog that knows a few tricks, have her maybe even play a role in the plot.
    • She shouldn't be killed off for cheap drama: This pretty much speaks for itself.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

On another note I am shocked no one has suggested totemist yet.

You have two claws and a bite. Bind the draconic tail and the roc wings (reflavor as dragon wings) and you have the attack routine of a large sized dragon.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Anyway, now I'm imagining you having to hunt down the father to ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage. That is, assuming the dragon is the father.
    This is now the best bit of role playing that I have imagined lately. Ever since one of my friend's Exalted doctor-martial artist willingly put himself in the middle of a Fair Folk love triangle. This could be some solid gold role play for a DM to be involved in.

Extended Sigbox

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is now the best bit of role playing that I have imagined lately. Ever since one of my friend's Exalted doctor-martial artist willingly put himself in the middle of a Fair Folk love triangle. This could be some solid gold role play for a DM to be involved in.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. If he's a red dragon, why not track him to the hillside? Also, I'm curious how that love triangle turned out. How exactly did he get himself involved?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thanks, I appreciate that. If he's a red dragon, why not track him to the hillside? Also, I'm curious how that love triangle turned out. How exactly did he get himself involved?
    The party had previously fought off an attack by several Deathknights on the Blessed Isle. This one Fair Folk girl, Frost Lily (one of the Seven Stormwinds), was obsessed with Deathknights, though she actually knew almost nothing about them. She just always talked about how cool they were, like it was obvious.

So, my friend's character told her a bunch of stories about Deathknights. Frost Lily instantly worshiped him. Then he said he might be able to get her face time with an actual Deathknight. She practically proposed marriage on the spot.

Then, there was this other Fair Folk girl hanging around, Melelone. She liked big flashy stuff (like every Fair Folk ever); I described her as a redneck Peter Pan. She had suggested that she take a ride with the Solar character on one of her wooly mammoth Wyld critters. His character suggested, instead, that they take a ride on his Thunderbird (custom behemoth giant bird the size of a football field). She took him up on the offer (after he had already gotten Frost Lily's attention), and they went for a ride in his awesome sports car on his awesome bird.

By the time the Solar and Melelone returned, Frost Lily was foaming at the mouth, insanely jealous, to the extent that she had laid waste to several of the longhouses that the Fair Folk lived in (much to the sorrow of the Fair Folk architect that had crafted them lovingly in the midst of their Freehold).

Anyway, the player and character both did this knowing the consequences, which was like Christmas to me as a storyteller. What's better than one Fair Folk romance? Two Fair Folk romances with the same person!

/hugetangent
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2014-07-09 at 08:08 PM.

Extended Sigbox

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The party had previously fought off an attack by several Deathknights on the Blessed Isle. This one Fair Folk girl, Frost Lily (one of the Seven Stormwinds), was obsessed with Deathknights, though she actually knew almost nothing about them. She just always talked about how cool they were, like it was obvious.

So, my friend's character told her a bunch of stories about Deathknights. Frost Lily instantly worshiped him. Then he said he might be able to get her face time with an actual Deathknight. She practically proposed marriage on the spot.

Then, there was this other Fair Folk girl hanging around, Melelone. She liked big flashy stuff (like every Fair Folk ever); I described her as a redneck Peter Pan. She had suggested that she take a ride with the Solar character on one of her wooly mammoth Wyld critters. His character suggested, instead, that they take a ride on his Thunderbird (custom behemoth giant bird the size of a football field). She took him up on the offer (after he had already gotten Frost Lily's attention), and they went for a ride in his awesome sports car on his awesome bird.

By the time the Solar and Melelone returned, Frost Lily was foaming at the mouth, insanely jealous, to the extent that she had laid waste to several of the longhouses that the Fair Folk lived in (much to the sorrow of the Fair Folk architect that had crafted them lovingly in the midst of their Freehold).

Anyway, the player and character both did this knowing the consequences, which was like Christmas to me as a storyteller. What's better than one Fair Folk romance? Two Fair Folk romances with the same person!

/hugetangent
    This is a romance thread, after all. Reminds me of a character I DMed for who managed to get himself in a love affair between two goddesses of love (Diplomacy rules tend to be annoying for half-elf diplomancers).