New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Banned

Default Re: Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    And I repeat, people shouldn't call Marelle a cat girl. Or she'll LECTURE you! She's not very violent, but by 'IQ in the upper hundreds' I mean 900's. And she's rather pedantic. The two, combined, can lead to killer lectures...
    Red. Flag.

(ETA: For the comic, not for smart women. I guess that could be misinterpreted.)
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-11-05 at 12:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm hoping Marten gets a fancy hat.

Flirting with everyone CUTE she meets. Cuteness or handsomeness or beauty is a major draw, for her...

Poor Kurt. Her nominal but hopeful boyfriend.

And I repeat, people shouldn't call Marelle a cat girl. Or she'll LECTURE you! She's not very violent, but by 'IQ in the upper hundreds' I mean 900's. And she's rather pedantic. The two, combined, can lead to killer lectures...
    Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Red. Flag.

(ETA: For the comic, not for smart women. I guess that could be misinterpreted.)
    Red flag as in an IQ of over 250 is a virtual impossibility? I'd agree with Math Mage there. It certainly rings warning bells in my head. (for comparison, the probability of a given person having an IQ of 250 is 1 in 1.31236*10^19 and the estimated total sum of humans that have ever lived is only 108*10^9)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I'm hoping Marten gets a fancy hat.

Red flag as in an IQ of over 250 is a virtual impossibility? I'd agree with Math Mage there. It certainly rings warning bells in my head. (for comparison, the probability of a given person having an IQ of 250 is 1 in 1.31236*10^19 and the estimated total sum of humans that have ever lived is only 108*10^9)
    A) Over 900 IQ is an impossibility for humans. It's not clear Marelle is human. There ARE the cat ears, after all (but don't call her a cat girl).

She also appears to be immortal and unkillable.

B) Just how high Marelle's IQ really is, is hard to tell, as she doesn't show off. The only clear demonstration we've had is when, with limited study, she figured out how to put a codicil on the programming of the android girl Prism to make her less violent, more inclined towards cooperation, and also to reduce her almost supernatural reading speed, which gave her an advantage over Marelle. Both of them are out to acquire all human knowledge through reading and study. And while Marelle has been at it longer - and apparently remembers everything she's read - Prism was catching up fast.

C) We've seen one possible future. Being super-smart may wind up with you being ruler of much of the Earth. But it doesn't mean you don't still do unwise things.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Bugbear in the Playground

IQ just loses any meaning so many standard deviations away from the average.
    Anyway was the 900 number actually mentioned in comic? Otherwise it's just a poster using hyperbole. If it was it's an author throwing around big numbers which is sadly common enough.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd really like that there would be some practical demonstration of numbers regarding the implication of sky-high IQs

Ya know. Since IQ of 200 means being the smartest out of nearly 190 billion people (which is a practical impossibility in today's Earth), what would represent an IQ of 300?

Let's say I wanted to give a practical example of the ridiculousness of some people's use of IQ. Like, "the smartest grain of sand on Earth", which means the smartest out of 5,000, 000,000,000, 000,000,000 people, would be an IQ of.. what? 275? 300?

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Banned

The red flag for me is basically that the degree of fundamental difference implied by an absurdity like 900 IQ is better explored without reference to IQ.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

These two get along so well. This could be good for both Marten and Claire. Assuming something doesn't screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    IQ just loses any meaning so many standard deviations away from the average.
    Anyway was the 900 number actually mentioned in comic? Otherwise it's just a poster using hyperbole. If it was it's an author throwing around big numbers which is sadly common enough.
    Yeah, you can't trust people when they start saying things like that. It's probably wrong, and nonsense to boot. Some people should be more responsible...

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

It is kind of annoying when people use random IQ numbers to indicate someone is really, really smart... but then I tend to use hyperbole a lot as well, so... yeah.

In regards to the actual comic... I was going to make a joke about how these things are totally normal to do on the first date... and then I recalled I'm German so maybe this is going a bit too far
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    But it would be fun to have May meet Pintsize.
    http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/imag...9019068829.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

The part about Hitler and junk-punching seems strangely familiar to me...

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So as cute as they look going on their first date, I just can't stop myself from thinking that they have the synergy of a limp fish. I can't for the life of me imagine what they'll actually talk about when getting dinner. The only things I can really say about Claire is that she wants to be a librarian, and she's transitioning (and that's pretty low key in the comic too). I went back to reread the wedding arc and the only substantive conversation/interaction they had was when they were both drunk and kind of almost cuddled? I'm not one of those who believe relationships only work when both parties share all the same interests, but I just don't know anything of Emily's interests outside of being a librarian. And that's not really enough for me, and I don't see how that's enough for Marten.

What I want to happen is after a few dates, they realize they don't actually have a lot of chemistry and amicably decide to part it off. Not too much time wasted, Marten realizes that being assertive can be a good thing, and Claire gains confidence in herself. With no angst.
    The likelihood of that happening, however, seems quite low.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, that's sweet.

We've gotten a few glimpses into Claire's inner life. She's got a quirky sense of humor, a somewhat shrill sense of right and wrong, and a serious desire to give and receive affection. She and Marten seem to fit together really well, but we'll have to see how this develops.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    So as cute as they look going on their first date, I just can't stop myself from thinking that they have the synergy of a limp fish. I can't for the life of me imagine what they'll actually talk about when getting dinner. The only things I can really say about Claire is that she wants to be a librarian, and she's transitioning (and that's pretty low key in the comic too). I went back to reread the wedding arc and the only substantive conversation/interaction they had was when they were both drunk and kind of almost cuddled? I'm not one of those who believe relationships only work when both parties share all the same interests, but I just don't know anything of Emily's interests outside of being a librarian. And that's not really enough for me, and I don't see how that's enough for Marten.

What I want to happen is after a few dates, they realize they don't actually have a lot of chemistry and amicably decide to part it off. Not too much time wasted, Marten realizes that being assertive can be a good thing, and Claire gains confidence in herself. With no angst.
    The likelihood of that happening, however, seems quite low.
    I suppose we might just find out something about her here then through dedicated focus. Hopefully.

Amicable parting? Without angst? Due to people recognizing that they're just not that into each other? In this comic? I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

WHOA!!! WHAT MEDICINE HAS EFFECTS LIKE THAT???

And where can I get some?

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

WHOA!!! WHAT MEDICINE HAS EFFECTS LIKE THAT???

And where can I get some?
    Extract of Yelling Bird has all those effects, plus those consistent with the symptoms of Butts Disease. Do not take while expected to operate heavy machinery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

After reading the webcomic for the second time (or third, don't really remember :D ), I still can't come to terms with Marten and Dora breaking up and consequently Dora and Tai hooking up. Especially the latter one.

I also think that Marten and Claire matchup probably won't last due to Claire character's lack of depth, but that can change. But, tbh, she (Claire) just isn't interesting to me enough that I, as a reader, would be interested in that storyline at all (Claire and Marten relationship).

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkai View Post
    I also think that Marten and Claire matchup probably won't last due to Claire character's lack of depth, but that can change. But, tbh, she (Claire) just isn't interesting to me enough that I, as a reader, would be interested in that storyline at all (Claire and Marten relationship).
    Claire's had too little screen time (panel time?) for us to really have any idea as to the depth of the character. This storyline is probably exactly what will present the depths.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Troll in the Playground

Not going to have to break THAT news to Mom!

19. - Top - End - #1459

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Claire's had too little screen time (panel time?) for us to really have any idea as to the depth of the character. This storyline is probably exactly what will present the depths.
    Yeah, but Emily had probably as much panel time as Claire, maybe even less, and she seems a more interesting character than Claire. I mean, it kinda looks like the only thing interesting about Claire is her gender change.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, but Emily had probably as much panel time as Claire, maybe even less, and she seems a more interesting character than Claire. I mean, it kinda looks like the only thing interesting about Claire is her gender change.
    I'd say the most interesting thing about Claire is her brother. Who apparently stopped existing after his purpose of introducing Clair to the cast was fulfilled.

21. - Top - End - #1461

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd say the most interesting thing about Claire is her brother. Who apparently stopped existing after his purpose of introducing Clair to the cast was fulfilled.
    Actually, I don't think that was his purpose, as she was introduced as an intern in the library. :D

But, the point remains, I can't think of a single interesting think about Claire.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I don't think that was his purpose, as she was introduced as an intern in the library. :D

But, the point remains, I can't think of a single interesting think about Claire.
    She has an apparently amazing (and newly developed, if untrained) palate for alcohol. Not much tolerance, though.

The sight of Steve's buns makes her blush. Or flush.

She and Clinton haven't killed each other. Yet. She's also not the obsessive stalker type her brother is.

She can accept, without much unease, Marten's family...

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm looking forward to the 'Grandbaby Turmoil', when Veronica donates the egg and Clinton the sperm and Faye does the carrying...or is that just a season of Friends?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

After reading the webcomic for the second time (or third, don't really remember :D ), I still can't come to terms with Marten and Dora breaking up and consequently Dora and Tai hooking up. Especially the latter one.
    This continues to irritate me to the point where I skim over Tai's comics pretty quickly. Still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

hi mom
    yes mom
    no mom..no grandbabies
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #1466

NecromancerGuy

Well, that was fast, they've been dating for less than a few days and have already met one another's mothers.

Almost like sharks with blood in the water...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-11-12 at 06:31 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #1467

Really? I follow it. Dora has always been Bi, or at least curious. Maybe I misremember, but I could have sworn that has been mentioned a few times early on with her character or just how she acts. As for her and marten breaking up, she is a big old bundle of issues, that too was fairly well established. Its not like they had one fight and were done, they had many fights, usually over something really stupid on her part and it got to be too much. Tai has pretty much always liked her, or at least thought dora was attractive, and she had decided to go monogamous well before they got together.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    He has appeared twice since then at least though, but in both cases I believe Claire was there as well (though not necessarily arriving with him).
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #1469

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Really? I follow it. Dora has always been Bi, or at least curious. Maybe I misremember, but I could have sworn that has been mentioned a few times early on with her character or just how she acts. As for her and marten breaking up, she is a big old bundle of issues, that too was fairly well established. Its not like they had one fight and were done, they had many fights, usually over something really stupid on her part and it got to be too much. Tai has pretty much always liked her, or at least thought dora was attractive, and she had decided to go monogamous well before they got together.
    Well, yes, it was mentioned and, while it does make sense in a certain way, generally it still doesn't sit well with me. What can I say.. :)

My problems with the Dora-Tai situation are that Tai mentioned a couple of times that Marten is basically her only friend and that she made comments and advances on Dora even when Dora was with Marten. Also, after Marten and Dora broke up, she was on Dora in a matter of days (even though Dora is the ex of her only friend). I don't know if it is just me, but Marten should have been far less indifferent about the whole situation. I mean, if you look at the facts that Tai showed always that she liked Dora a lot and that she pounced on Dora as soon as possible, it could look like she was only friend with him so she can steal Dora when they break up. I mean, it's not like Tai and Marten hung out after Tai and Dora started dating.

Not to mention that Dora broke up with Marten because she had issues (trust issues and self-confidence issues). Also, she concluded after a date with the owner of the Secret Bakery that she shouldn't be dating anyone and then the next day she starts dating Tai, who slept with at least a half of SMIF campus..

I mean, the whole situation is just.. well.. ridiculous. At least in my opinion.
    Last edited by Dukkai; 2014-11-13 at 02:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1470

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Really? I follow it. Dora has always been Bi, or at least curious.
    That's got nothing to do with why TaixDora would be disliked...
    Homebrew