New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XX: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

So I priced that first suggested "rdw" deck on a singles website (starcitygames.com, does anyone know a better/cheaper place?), except for the absurdly expensive Goblin Rabblemasters, and it came to just under $80 with shipping, so well within my price range. Assuming I don't come up with an idea I like better in the next week or so I'll probably pull the trigger.

Does anyone else have ideas for fairly inexpensive but decent decks? I looked at Jeskai Ascendancy, but most of the popular combos in those decks require some pretty expensive rares, so I'll probably pass on it.

What options are there for blue? I only ask because of all the Magic players I've ever know, none of them ever play blue.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On the subject of deck recommendations, what would be a good Standard deck that runs ~$250? I tend to prefer controlling decks, but there doesn't seem to be a good blue control deck in the meta at the moment, and I can adapt to other types of decks.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlayItLoud View Post
    So I priced that first suggested "rdw" deck on a singles website (starcitygames.com, does anyone know a better/cheaper place?), except for the absurdly expensive Goblin Rabblemasters, and it came to just under $80 with shipping, so well within my price range. Assuming I don't come up with an idea I like better in the next week or so I'll probably pull the trigger.

Does anyone else have ideas for fairly inexpensive but decent decks? I looked at Jeskai Ascendancy, but most of the popular combos in those decks require some pretty expensive rares, so I'll probably pass on it.

What options are there for blue? I only ask because of all the Magic players I've ever know, none of them ever play blue.
    Starcity is the biggest so they'll have the best availability, ChannelFireball, CoolStuffInc, FaceToFace Games, all are sometimes cheaper.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    On the subject of deck recommendations, what would be a good Standard deck that runs ~$250? I tend to prefer controlling decks, but there doesn't seem to be a good blue control deck in the meta at the moment, and I can adapt to other types of decks.
    Blue black control is a deck and is probably around that price. To be fair I think pretty much everything besides abzan is within 250$.

Edit: Searched a bit on TCGPLAYER, and a couple deck times were above 250, these seem to be the avarage deck prices:
    Abzan Midrange: 550$
    Jeskai tempo: 350$
    Mardu control/midrange: 400$
    Temur midrange: 250$
    Green-black midrange/whip: 350$
    Green-red midrange:350$
    Monogreen devotion:300$
    Red deck wins: 130$ with rabblemaster, 70$ without.
    Esper control: 450$
    UB control: 250$
    Blackwhite aggro: 250$ (much more expensive with brimaz)
    Abzan aggro: 400$
    Monoblack aggro: 250$ with thoughtsieze, 150$ without.
    Abzan whip: 350$
    Jeskai ascendency combo: 250$
    Mardu Tokens: 400$
    Naya midrange/walkers: 500$
    UW heroic: 150$
    Jeskai tokens: 350$
    Sidisi whip: 300$

UB control hits both your playstyle and budget very well.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2014-11-30 at 02:16 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlayItLoud View Post
    (starcitygames.com, does anyone know a better/cheaper place?)
    TCGPlayer.com is a marketplace rather than a single store so it's easy to get the best possible deal on a large cart (as long as you aren't too careless about accumulating shipping fees, of course).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yet another deck I'm working on....

Black Enchantments.

The idea is to layer up static enchantments that, hopefully, tilt the battlefield more and more in your favour.

Bitterblossom makes a steady stream of creature tokens.
    Grave Pact lets my tokens trade 1/1 for enemy creatures.
    Bloodchief Ascension keeps my health up, once it gets going.

Beyond that, it's easy to come up with other black enchantments that synergize with a lot of weenie tokens, either for sacrifice effects (Recurring Nightmare, Contamination), or triggers on death (Quest of the Gravelord), or triggers on entry (Death Match). However, I feel I need a bit more to deter early aggression, to stabilize life points, and to generate even more tokens. Creakwood Liege works as the latter, at least, but as the deck falls apart rather spectacularly without tokens to field, more is always helpful.

Can a deck like this work?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a good cheap way to filter colorless mana into green mana? I'm trying to build a deck that needs 4 green mana by turn 2.

EDIT: Anything not an un-set is legal, as long as I actually own it, so Black lotuses are out of the question for this.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-12-01 at 03:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Is there a good cheap way to filter colorless mana into green mana? I'm trying to build a deck that needs 4 green mana by turn 2.

EDIT: Anything not an un-set is legal, as long as I actually own it, so Black lotuses are out of the question for this.
    Gemstone Array, converts at 2 to one and costs 4 though. You can filter green into other colors with Orochi Leafcaller or colorless into black or red or white with Bog Initiate, Farrelite Priest, or Skyshroud Elf. But nothing like what you want.

Elvish Mystic and co. with an Elvish Spirit Guide would accomplish that though.
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2014-12-01 at 03:33 PM.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    Gemstone Array, converts at 2 to one and costs 4 though. You can filter green into other colors with Orochi Leafcaller or colorless into black or red or white with Bog Initiate, Farrelite Priest, or Skyshroud Elf. But nothing like what you want.

Elvish Mystic and co. with an Elvish Spirit Guide would accomplish that though.
    Well, thanks for the help anyway.

Trying to cast channel into Tooth and Nail ASAP with as few cards as possible, but need 4 green mana, since channel can't make colored mana.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-12-01 at 03:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Trying to cast channel into Tooth and Nail ASAP with as few cards as possible, but need 4 green mana, since channel can't make colored mana.
    Manamorphose would convert one colorless into green, at least. I'd probably aim for a turn 3 T&N, with a possibility of turn 2 if you use a mana elf on turn 1 + a Chrome Mox/Elvish Spirit Guide. There's also Hickory Woodlot.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

The only problem with turn 3 is that it makes the odds of my opponents having countermagic much more likely.

I think the way to do it with as little investment as possible is actually fetchland into stomping grounds, play Orcish lumberjack for 4 green mana on turn 2, regardless of what else I do.

I don't think my opponents will have any idea that an orcish lumberjack of all things is a threat until it's too late.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Colossus in the Playground

The only problem with turn 3 is that it makes the odds of my opponents having countermagic much more likely.

I think the way to do it with as little investment as possible is actually fetchland into stomping grounds, play Orcish lumberjack for 4 green mana on turn 2, regardless of what else I do.

I don't think my opponents will have any idea that an orcish lumberjack of all things is a threat until it's too late.
    I mean, that card is absurdly powerful on raw power level so I wouldn't be surprised if it raised a few eyebrows :) But certainly, for turn 2 GGGG you could do worse. Gaea's Cradle with some free/cheap dudes is the other thing I can think of. Mana elf and two lands plus Elvish Spirit Guide/Lotus Petal/equivalent would be a third one. It's also possible to accelerate colorless (with the usual stuff, Ancient Tombs, City of Traitors, whatever) and convert it into green (or make everything castable with colorless or whatever) with stuff like Gilded Lotus, Mycosynth Lattice or whatever.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #433

I think I've got my Enchantment deck sorted out, mostly.

Spoiler
    Show
    4 Bitterblossom
    1 Mogis, God of Slaughter
    2 Quest for the Gravelord
    4 Grave Pact
    2 Contamination
    2 Recurring Nightmare
    2 Bloodchief Ascension
    1 Bad Moon
    3 Oona's Gatewarden
    4 Doom Blade
    1 Reckless Spite
    16 Swamp
    4 Tainted Peak
    3 Dragonskull Summit
    1 Grave Titan
    4 Creakwood Liege
    2 Thrill-Kill Assassin
    4 Gravestorm

Rules question:

Against an Eldrazi deck, he was attacking with an "It That Betrays" and... something else. Plus bajillion and trample on both. Annihilator kicks in, making me sacrifice two Bitterblossom faerie rogue tokens. I had Grave Pact out.

What's the order of events here? Does he sacrifice two, then gain the tokens? Or can he gain the tokens first, then sacrifice them?

Also, may I note how fun it is to have Contamination + Bitterblossom + Grave Pact out? Or multiple Gravestorms?

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    -snip-

What's the order of events here? Does he sacrifice two, then gain the tokens? Or can he gain the tokens first, then sacrifice them?

-snip-
    When the eldrazi attack, they have a triggered ability (anihilator) that goes on the stack. When it resolves, you sacrifice X permanents. If you sacrifice any creatures this way, both It that Betrays AND Grave Pact trigger at the same time, and are put on the stack STARTING with the active player (your opponent, since its his turn) then going in turn order of all non-active players (just you in this case). Since your ability went on the stack LAST, it resolves FIRST. Grave pact forces your opponent to sacrifice the same number of creatures, so they will need to sac 2 creatures. After he has finished sacrificing creatures, his It That Betrays ability resolves and he gets all of the permanents YOU sacrificed to the anihilator ability. Normally he'd get your creatures, but since they are tokens, they just vanish once they leave the battlefield and he just gets any NON-TOKEN things you sac'd.

It's important to note that if you sac a creature during YOUR turn to try to kill It That Betrays, he WILL get any NON-TOKEN creatures you sac'd BEFORE grave pact resolves and can totally use your stuff to sac to grave pact.

TL'DR-- He sacs to grave pact BEFORE he gets anything from It That Betrays, as long as it is HIS TURN. He will NOT get any faerie tokens regardless of who's turn it is, since they cease to exist after leaving the battlefield.
    Last edited by Tesla_pasta; 2014-12-01 at 06:30 PM.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

The original filter lands make {color}{other color} for {1}{T}. Mossfire Valley and Sungrass Prairie are the ones that make green.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Eladamri's Vineyard gives you two green mana during your first main phase, which with two forests gives you 4 green mana total. Enough for a Turn 2 Tooth and Nail. Problem is that it gives your opponent two green mana aswell. That's about all I can give you.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

I was looking at the tri color stuff and had a few questions.
    Some of them peaked my interest, and while I'm already building/playing a Mardu deck, I was curious about how the other I liked could compete with more current decks/meta.
    Grixis, Jund, and Jeskai were the ones that I was most curious about. Any thoughts, suggestions, or assistance is appreciated.

Sidenote, is there anything that does what Doubling Season does, for stuff on the enemy player's side of the board.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I was looking at the tri color stuff and had a few questions.
    Some of them peaked my interest, and while I'm already building/playing a Mardu deck, I was curious about how the other I liked could compete with more current decks/meta.
    Grixis, Jund, and Jeskai were the ones that I was most curious about. Any thoughts, suggestions, or assistance is appreciated.
    Grixis and Jund aren't really supported by Khans; Khans is focusing on the "wedges", made of one color and its two enemies. The closest to traditional Jund decks in current Standard are Abzan decks, which use the same grindy midrange gameplan. Straight UB control is a deck, though not a terribly good one.

Sidenote, is there anything that does what Doubling Season does, for stuff on the enemy player's side of the board.
    Primal Vigor is closest to that. There's also Vorel for affecting one permanent at a time.
    ithilanor on Steam.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Eladamri's Vineyard gives you two green mana during your first main phase, which with two forests gives you 4 green mana total. Enough for a Turn 2 Tooth and Nail. Problem is that it gives your opponent two green mana aswell. That's about all I can give you.
    Huh. That, and magus of the vineyard would actually work really well, thanks.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Grixis and Jund aren't really supported by Khans; Khans is focusing on the "wedges", made of one color and its two enemies. The closest to traditional Jund decks in current Standard are Abzan decks, which use the same grindy midrange gameplan. Straight UB control is a deck, though not a terribly good one.

Primal Vigor is closest to that. There's also Vorel for affecting one permanent at a time.

I wasn't trying to ask if they were supported, I fully understand the color separation between them, my apologies if I worded something poorly somewhere. I just meant in general how the 3 that I lack experience with: play, handle in the current meta, still see competitive play at all... That sort of thing.

As another aside, the next set to come out is supposed to focus much more on duo color cards rather than tri, so majority of them should be at least splashable into the shard decks, shouldn't they? For instance, Mardu cards could be used in Grixis, Naya and Jund?
    Last edited by mrcarter11; 2014-12-01 at 09:04 PM.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I wasn't trying to ask if they were supported, I fully understand the color separation between them, my apologies if I worded something poorly somewhere. I just meant in general how the 3 that I lack experience with: play, handle in the current meta, still see competitive play at all... That sort of thing.

As another aside, the next set to come out is supposed to focus much more on duo color cards rather than tri, so majority of them should be at least splashable into the shard decks, shouldn't they? For instance, Mardu cards could be used in Grixis, Naya and Jund?
    Currently no Grixis or Jund decks have placed consistently, though certain strategies could be implemented, if you wanted to pioneer them. Jeskai currently operates as either a Tempo/Burn, Token, or Combo deck. The most consistently placed deck is Tempo/Burn that plays to get in early damage quickly and close the game out from an opponent at 12-8 with Burn spells. Token is significantly less played and the Combo deck is generally not good. I played Jeskai at a GP this weekend, I can walk you through the decks if you want, unless this is enough for you.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't be upset at a more detailed breakdown of the Tempo-Burn deck, it sounds like something I'm use to playing.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    TL'DR-- He sacs to grave pact BEFORE he gets anything from It That Betrays, as long as it is HIS TURN. He will NOT get any faerie tokens regardless of who's turn it is, since they cease to exist after leaving the battlefield.
    Huh! Thanks!

Any feedback on the deck?

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Huh! Thanks!
    Technical nitpick: The tokens cease to exist upon entering the graveyard, not upon leaving the battlefield. Otherwise they wouldn't be considered to have "died" and Grave Pact wouldn't trigger in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Current Modern Deck (Budget)

There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Current Modern Deck (Budget)

I think your 8-Rack is missing four Racks.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I think your 8-Rack is missing four Racks.
    I wish, very hard, but note the term [budget]. I can only hope they reprint shrieking affliction with a different name and the same effects in a future set.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2014-12-01 at 11:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming you're in the US, there's a playset (actually 5) on Ebay right now for $6.

You can probably get a playset for only a bit over what a standard pack would cost you on http://www.tcgplayer.com/ TCGPlayer, who have always been very good in my experience.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming you're in the US, there's a playset (actually 5) on Ebay right now for $6.

You can probably get a playset for only a bit over what a standard pack would cost you on http://www.tcgplayer.com/ TCGPlayer, who have always been very good in my experience.
    I should clarify, this is my mtgo deck. Dojo bots sells them for 9$+ each (and they sell cards on the cheap generally). This whole deck costs < 3$.

EDIT: Is that elesh norn?
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2014-12-01 at 11:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    EDIT: Is that elesh norn?
    If you mean her avatar, it sure looks like it to me.