New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Swordsaged"

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default "Swordsaged"

I've seen you guys post that in various threads. What does that meme mean, where does it come from?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Swordsaged"

it was Ninjaed, and then ninjas were replaced with swordsages.

It comes from when you are writing a post, and someone else gets in and answers before you. Like a ninja swordsage.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    it was Ninjaed, and then ninjas were replaced with swordsages.

It comes from when you are writing a post, and someone else gets in and answers before you. Like a ninja swordsage.
    Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4

When someone post the same thing you were gonna say while you are typing, so you didnt see they answered and your post just say the samething as theirs.

Before it was "ninja'd", but when Tome of Battle came out, people realise the swordsage was better at being a ninja than the ninja, so it become a joke.

And i'll probably be swordsaged while posting this.

edit: live exemple of being swordsaged :P
    Last edited by Skya; 2015-03-30 at 09:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

What is a Swordsage in essence? It sounds like a magic fighter, but apparentally not?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    What is a Swordsage in essence? It sounds like a magic fighter, but apparentally not?
    A ninja (or a monk, if you remove the arms) with a somewhat stupid and misleading name.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

One of the 3 classes from Tome of Battle which uses what's called Sword Magic. It's like magic but martial people use it :O

Of the 3, they're the skill monkeys. They can make good ninjas, and there's a variant that makes them like monks.

EDIT: Swordsaged ;)
    Last edited by danzibr; 2015-03-30 at 09:40 PM.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Of the 3, they're the skill monkeys. They can make good ninjas, and there's a variant that makes them like monks.
    A suggestion of a variant adaptation mind you.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    That's true. And very easy to overlook. Like the good version of Necrocarnate.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Meh. Take Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, and specialize in Setting Sun. Boom, monk.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

It is. They fight, and they have access to supernatural abilities. Ergo, magic fighter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

The reason I don't use swordsaged is because they are commonly banned, Ninja's usually aren't.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-03-30 at 11:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    The reason I don't use swordsaged is because they are commonly banned, Ninja's usually aren't.
    I wouldn't say commonly. Or have you asked a representative sample of all gaming groups to come to this conclusion.

Swordsaged is also very fitting because the class grants an increasing bonus to initiative which makes going before others easier. I don't think the Ninja class gets that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I wouldn't say commonly. Or have you asked a representative sample of all gaming groups to come to this conclusion.

Swordsaged is also very fitting because the class grants an increasing bonus to initiative which makes going before others easier. I don't think the Ninja class gets that.
    Sorry, should have said often, not commonly. ;) The only thing I've ever seen top it on a ban list is psionics. No need for the snarkiness dude. I was trying to make a joke. I should have used an emoticon of some sort. My bad.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-03-31 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added emotothingydealy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Recently, for our new game, one of my buddies tried to make a Swordsage. In spite of a very generous PB 36, he wasn't satisfied with the result. Main problem was feat starvation. In the end he rolled a Factotum.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    A ninja (or a monk, if you remove the arms) with a somewhat stupid and misleading name.
    So, a monk is a ninja whose arms have been cut off? I know monks are a weak class, but

"It's only a flesh wound!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post

well, the point still stands because when people read ToB they often react "Ehrmagerd wtf is this anumu weeaabbuuu BS", when in fact it is the only remotely balanced way to play martial characters and casters next to each other. Until they get over here on these forums and get a quick education on why it's not anime bullexcrement and in fact one of the best things happening for balance in the game between casters and non-casters.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    well, the point still stands because when people read ToB they often react "Ehrmagerd wtf is this anumu weeaabbuuu BS", when in fact it is the only remotely balanced way to play martial characters and casters next to each other. Until they get over here on these forums and get a quick education on why it's not anime bullexcrement and in fact one of the best things happening for balance in the game between casters and non-casters.
    To be clear, I love all splats, ToB included. :) My attempts to sell it to local gamers have fallen upon deaf ears however. Oh well, their loss.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

To be clear, I love all splats, ToB included. :) My attempts to sell it to local gamers have fallen upon deaf ears however. Oh well, their loss.
    Preach on! We here at the GITP have a dream: that one day each splat gets the love it deserves (except for the part of truenamer-that was just done horribly).
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quoting oneself is not cool. I quote myself because I really didn't think that an emoticon or blue text was necessary. Yeah, there's a thing for that(insert relevant meme here). I did it, oooops. But seriously folks, SS *are* more commonly banned than Ninja's. Oooops, I did it again! ;)
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-03-31 at 04:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's the Tome of Battle equivalent to the PHB Monk, with a bit of Rogue and Ninja thrown in.

I'm fairly certain this has already been stated for the most part, but I do this on purpose so I could be swordsaged in a swordsaging thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Preach on! We here at the GITP have a dream: that one day each splat gets the love it deserves (except for the part of truenamer-that was just done horribly).
    Are you kidding? Tome of Magic deserves the most love at all!

(Rewrites are labors of love, right? They count.)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Love playing in DSP-enabled tables, for pretty much this reason

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

24. - Top - End - #24

I still have yet to find a (irl) DSP-enabled table. Most DMs where I live seem to be in love with the PFS format, and even the ones that like DSP don't include it for the benefit of simplicity for newer players. Either that, or they are playing 5e.

Though I would say that Tome of Magic also got a good deal of love - a third party rewrite of binder AND a Paizo official version in the upcoming splatbook. All we need is a re-write of Anima Mage and all is well. (What? Shadowcaster, you say? What is this shadowcaster? What is a truenamer? Can I eat it? )

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    What? Shadowcaster, you say? What is this shadowcaster? What is a truenamer? Can I eat it?
    Both of these are actually forthcoming. Truenaming from the Playground's own Fax Celestias with Tzocatl, and Ssalarn has hinted at a Shadowcasting port he's planning when he has time.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Sure is! Teleports, throws fire, walks up walls, stabs people simultaneously with real weapons and with phantom weapons that do ice damage; don't let anyone tell you it's not magical.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The only problem with Tome of Magic is how fantastically the writers botched the Truenamer beyond any hope of repair. An erratum was written for the other dodgy parts of ToM, but they didn't bother with the real issues of hte Truenamer. Which is a pity because it sounds like the bestest most awesomest thing ever. Out of all the classes the Truenamer is the one truly unplayable broken class out there.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quoting oneself is not cool. I quote myself because I really didn't think that an emoticon or blue text was necessary. Yeah, there's a thing for that(insert relevant meme here). I did it, oooops. But seriously folks, SS *are* more commonly banned than Ninja's. Oooops, I did it again! ;)
    Thank you Britney. ;-)
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Sure is! Teleports, throws fire, walks up walls, stabs people simultaneously with real weapons and with phantom weapons that do ice damage; don't let anyone tell you it's not magical.
    The issue there is that by calling it "a magical fighter", you're implying that the guy who runs as fast as olympic sprinters without breaking a sweat, can jump out of planes without a parachute and expect to be fine, and eventually wade through lava with ease is not magical.

Every D&D character is magical. Swordsage just gets more fun things to do with it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

There is also Monked — which is similar to being Swordsaged or Ninja'd except that the previous post was several hours (or days) ago.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook