New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

So there are various implied connections between D&D settings and Earth. Is it implied that various Pantheons with real-world analogues (Finnish/Egyptian/Greek/etc.) got their start on Earth, or did they likely have their own worlds on the prime distinct from our own?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Ah that new thread smell!

Question for you 'Fro, celestial jails. We have Elysium and its Prisoner, there appears to be some jail on Celestia that gets used for souls and possibly other. What's the general outlook in your perspective on the Celestial predisposition on imprisoning people and/or souls. Any additional Canon you recall offhand?
    Celestials are willing to imprison transgressors in the hope of rehabilitation, although there are many who believe in paying evil unto evil (as it were). Souls are a much sketchier topic; generally speaking, celestials are extremely opposed to the imprisonment of the soul. Other canon... none offhand, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    So there are various implied connections between D&D settings and Earth. Is it implied that various Pantheons with real-world analogues (Finnish/Egyptian/Greek/etc.) got their start on Earth, or did they likely have their own worlds on the prime distinct from our own?
    We know that the Pharaonic pantheon were worshiped on Earth at some point, but given their nature and power and the nature and lack of power of the world of Earth, it's likely that each of the major pantheons had their own home sphere and world. I've done some tentative sketch-ups of those worlds, but not much.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    We know that the Pharaonic pantheon were worshiped on Earth at some point, but given their nature and power and the nature and lack of power of the world of Earth, it's likely that each of the major pantheons had their own home sphere and world. I've done some tentative sketch-ups of those worlds, but not much.
    Earth? I thought the term was "The Prime world of Terra within the sphere of Solspace."

...Yeah, I guess "Earth" is less of a mouthful.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there anything that would happen if a cleric or a paladin became more powerful then their patron deity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Earth? I thought the term was "The Prime world of Terra within the sphere of Solspace."

...Yeah, I guess "Earth" is less of a mouthful.
    Do people who know of Earth (like Elminster) refer to it as such? Seems it could be easy to confuse it with the plane.

For that matter, how many people know of Earth, besides those who live on it? On Toril for instance, could an apprentice wizard learn of it in a "compendium of worlds"-type book at the wizard school library? Would such knowledge be held by higher-level and higher-status people, like archmages? Or would it be known by only a small few - Elminster and Mystra, obviously, perhaps one or two others?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Do people who know of Earth (like Elminster) refer to it as such?
    No, they refer to it as Terra. Also, how do you know Elminster knows about it; sure, he knows a lot, but Solspace isn't even in the same quadrant of Arcane Space that the Radiant Triangle is!

Or at least, Solspace wasn't on that map. Or, at the very least, I couldn't find it there...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Also, how do you know Elminster knows about it
    There are several Dragon articles describing meetings between Elminster and other high-level wizards (Khelben? …?) at the home of the Dragon writer, so Elminster appears not only to know about Terra/Earth but to have visited here.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Is there anything that would happen if a cleric or a paladin became more powerful then their patron deity?
    The deity would turn the worshipper into a proxy long before that, which would give it the power to control its advancement.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved Shrimp View Post
    There are several Dragon articles describing meetings between Elminster and other high-level wizards (Khelben? …?) at the home of the Dragon writer, so Elminster appears not only to know about Terra/Earth but to have visited here.
    The articles (titled "The Wizards Three") where written by Ed Greenwood, the original writer of the Forgotten Realms, and the visiting wizards where Elminster, Mordenkainen and some powerful Dragonlance wizard, who was later replaced by his apprentice. I hope that helped.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    And how do you propose this occur without said worshiper becoming a god and thus no longer deriving power from the worship of a deity?

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Do people who know of Earth (like Elminster) refer to it as such? Seems it could be easy to confuse it with the plane.
    Primes, even well-traveled Prime wizards, refer to the Elemental Plane by its full name. Only planars and natives call that plane "Earth." People who know of the world of Earth know it by that name and may have other names for it as well.

For that matter, how many people know of Earth, besides those who live on it?
    Very very few.

On Toril for instance, could an apprentice wizard learn of it in a "compendium of worlds"-type book at the wizard school library?
    Not likely. Between the flood of Invaders From Space, the Shou Lung spelljammer fleet, non-infrequent contact with the other worlds of the Radiant Triangle and the fact that Toril has many major space trade ports, spelljammer-based world-to-world contact is much more documented than travels to another world's alternate Prime equivalent. Any such compendium would document worlds like Krynn and Oerth, but Earth is not in the cards.

Would such knowledge be held by higher-level and higher-status people, like archmages? Or would it be known by only a small few - Elminster and Mystra, obviously, perhaps one or two others?
    Earth's not of interest to many people, being, as I said, a world on an alternate Prime without native magic. On Toril, the only people likely to know about Earth are those who have had it mentioned to them by Elminster and some rare few who might have journeyed there themeselves at some point or communicated on the subject of alternate Primes with Mordenkainen or Dalamar. So, next to nobody.

The reason you're not finding Solspace on the map is because it doesn't exist; Earth is an alternate Prime with a different cosmology.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    The reason you're not finding Solspace on the map is because it doesn't exist; Earth is an alternate Prime with a different cosmology.
    Well, that's surprisingly convenient: I thought I would need to retcon that for the stories I'm working on involving the Plane of Shadow.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, all good. You're covered.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Is Earth the source of the original Mulhulorandi immigrants, or was that just another world where the Egyptian pantheon was also big? If it was the former, than Earth may get a mention in the history books.

If Earth is an alternate Prime, how were these Wizards getting thet before the recent expansion of the Plane of Shadows? What other paths to Alternate Cosmologies exist besides the Deep Shadow?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    how were these Wizards getting [there] […]?
    IIRC, they are described as materializing out of thin air, so I’d assume Greater Plane Shift. (Or some variant thereof – no forked metal rods being held are mentioned, if memory serves.)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Is Earth the source of the original Mulhulorandi immigrants, or was that just another world where the Egyptian pantheon was also big? If it was the former, than Earth may get a mention in the history books.
    Earth is the source of the original slaves who became the Mulan people, the ancestors of Unther and Mulhorand. However, the Imaskari likely didn't record the name of the world they came from, if they even knew it existed, and the Mulan people wouldn't have known at that level of their cultural existence that they were brought from an alternate Prime or what its name was, nor have they demonstrated a serious interest in their travelly past. Given that a span of nearly 500 years exists between when the portals were opened and when the Imaskari recorded their arcane lore, chances are pretty good that mentions of Earth are nonexistent.

If Earth is an alternate Prime, how were these Wizards getting thet before the recent expansion of the Plane of Shadows?
    Those travels occurred before the cosmological shift, and there are a lot of different and bizarre magical interactions and constructs that can conceivably reach alternate Primes. We just don't have them enumerated.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

How did Doresain wind up going from relatively minor Demon Lord to a minor deity?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    How did Doresain wind up going from relatively minor Demon Lord to a minor deity?
    I just happened across this in the very first planar questions thread, so I guess I'll share it.

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma
    Doresain wasn't always pathetically weak (actualy, he isn't now, either). Long ago, Yeenoghu went and kicked his teeth in; Doresain knelt to the Prince of Gnolls and Stupid Stupid Violence. The King of Ghouls eventually escaped and began building power on the Negative Energy Plane; when some stupid stupid people let him into the Material Plane, he established an undead kingdom using his superghouls and the fact that he wields a mace of disruption because Doresain don't care.

Unfortunately, Doresain came down with a case of that strange disease that tends to plague evil beings doing evil things, and a few rather unfortunately terminal seconds later found himself back in the Abyss where his old friend Captain Fuzzybritches was waiting. Doresain got himself good and stunted for his troubles; however, despite all the crap that befell him, his little vacation on the Material Plane gave him some leverage he'd never had before. Doresain started acquiring power. Between 3.0 and 3.5, Doresain acquired godhood. Not a lot, Just enough.

Doresain's quite powerful now (i.e. don't think he's still a piddly CR 10) but doesn't want to take on Yeenoghu and lose. He'll bide his time until he's sure he can safely break out from under the heel of the Prince of Gnolls for good.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I really need to come up with some way of wikifying all these answers or otherwise making it more easily accessible.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Afro, in thread number 5 you said that guardinals promote over time. In the thread "Do Celestials get promoted" you said they (and curiously also eladrin) don't get promoted. Now which is true? And if yes, do their promotions follow some kind of pattern or hierarchy?

Edit: I just re-read a post you did in the very first planar questions thread and there you said that any being made from soulstuff (meaning exemplars) is recogizable by being able to take more (or less) powerful forms by becoming "more" of it's alignment. Now I am really confused. Please clarify.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

http://lopq.wikia.com/wiki/Library_o...uestions_Wikia

Here. Did the first page of this thread, I'll do more later if I have more time and am bored.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Afro, in thread number 5 you said that guardinals promote over time. In the thread "Do Celestials get promoted" you said they (and curiously also eladrin) don't get promoted. Now which is true?
    No book makes any statement on the matter except the exceedingly terrible Warriors of Heaven. The answer from Glyphstone's thread was from that and from the lack of any other answer available in a book to note things one way or another. Neither eladrins nor guardinals get much fleshing out anywhere, sadly.

Within the context of this thread, Warriors of Heaven is specifically not an acceptable source and its information is not applicable. That's my final word on the subject.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a theory that Athas isn't metaphorically a dying world, but instead literally. Destination: Minethys. Whole sphere even go bye-bye soon; Then, Prime better off.

Me talk funny.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

My group has been having a lot of arguments on what exactly defines something as Lawful or Chaotic behaivor recently, owing in large part to how overlapping, and often contradictory the official material is on the subject, and I was wondering what your particular take on it was? I figured this would be the right place to ask since the law/chaos good/evil divide is so central to the outer planes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

; Then, Prime better off.
    Is this like a dance off then?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

25. - Top - End - #55

Page 2 of this thread is on the Wiki.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Page 2 of this thread is on the Wiki.
    If I can find time I'd love to help with this. Not sure how you want to sort the workload. Shall I start with thread 2?
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

27. - Top - End - #57

If I can find time I'd love to help with this. Not sure how you want to sort the workload. Shall I start with thread 2?
    Sure, that would be nice. I thought about starting thread 1, since I don't have much to do this afternoon.

It's about time we had another useful Planescape wiki, really. Mimir is a pain to negotiate sometimes, Planewalker, as far as I know, is still down (and was a pain to navigate before), I can't even find Portalseeker anymore...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Sure, that would be nice. I thought about starting thread 1, since I don't have much to do this afternoon.

It's about time we had another useful Planescape wiki, really. Mimir is a pain to negotiate sometimes, Planewalker, as far as I know, is still down (and was a pain to navigate before), I can't even find Portalseeker anymore...
    Okay, I'll see what I can do time permitting.

Hey 'Fro, do we have your blessing for this endeavour? This is your brain child after all.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogthnor View Post
    My group has been having a lot of arguments on what exactly defines something as Lawful or Chaotic behaivor recently, owing in large part to how overlapping, and often contradictory the official material is on the subject, and I was wondering what your particular take on it was? I figured this would be the right place to ask since the law/chaos good/evil divide is so central to the outer planes.
    Although it is blatant pro-devil propaganda, the introduction to Fiendish Codex 2 is quite eye-opening on the nature of Lawful Evil. That might shed some insight on that half of the struggle.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogthnor View Post
    One of the important things to understand about Law and Chaos is that their perspectives are strongly rooted in how they want their world to be, moreso than what they want themselves and others to do. Law likes constraints, rules, predictability and order; Chaos likes the unexpected, the novel, the emergent and the unique. This is important because it means that rather than just your own choice of actions, Law and Chaos are very much about what you expect the world to do in reaction. A lawful evil character, for instance, may cheat at cards, but would be extremely offended to discover that his cheating has failed because someone else was also cheating. Why? Because nobody was supposed to be cheating. Hypocritical? Obviously. But it speaks to the mindset of a lawful character - they expect, and very nearly demand, that the world work in a predictable, rational way. Lawful good believes that doing so is best for everyone, lawful neutral believes that it's the only rational way for the world to be, and lawful evil believes that if everyone plays by the rules then you can make your bones by them, either by enforcement and lawyering or by compliance and strategic undermining. Lawful characters can lie, steal, cheat, deceive, defy... they just have very very clear ideas about what the outcome of those actions will be, as well as to what extent they either need or deserve to "break the rules."

Chaos desires freedom. Chaos thinks the world should mind its own business. If I say a purple duck is going to fall out of the sky and smack you in the head for touching a doorknob, a lawful character might ask for (or wait for) proof. A chaotic character will grab the doorknob and be offended at getting hit by a duck, because come on. Chaotic good thinks people should be free to improve themselves and not constrained by laws that would force them to live a certain way, that the world gets better when people have a choice. Chaotic neutral is totally individualistic, without any inherent need to improve the lot of others. Chaotic evil is nearly solipsistic in its total focus on the self.

Okay, I'll see what I can do time permitting.

Hey 'Fro, do we have your blessing for this endeavour? This is your brain child after all.
    You do indeed. I do wonder, though, if the format of keeping the questions in is helpful. I'd like thoughts on that. I'd be more than happy, when a particular page is more complete, to go through and attempt to compile it into a stable article. Also I do recommend a page be set aside and links put in to notate "afro-canon," given how frequently it might come up.