New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

Vai and Alessandra
    Underbridge

The first of the children, a girl of maybe seven, stretches out her grubby little fingers. "Make it a silver piece for each of my friends. You're rich and I'm not stupid," she snaps. "You want to know where the Tower Girls are hiding out, don't you?"

The urchins here were certainly street-wise.

"There's an abandoned Shrine to Sarenrae that way." She gestures south-east, toward the cliff, where you see a winged statue peeking out over the rooftops. "They're holed up there."

((The children give you the information regardless of if you pay, or how much you pay. There are five of them. Obviously, should you wish to foster a good relationship with the little scamps, you should tip them.))

It's a short walk to the shrine, a small building, vandalized and in a terrible state. All of the windows have been boarded up and the front door appears to be barricaded. While some of the work (charitably described as fortifications) seems to be fairly recent, there's no sign of life within or without.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-29 at 09:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai and Alessandra
    Underbridge

"Tell you what," Alessandra jokes, "you cover it this time, and I'll pick up the SP next time we need to tip some kids." She doesn't engage the kids and continues onward when prompted though.

It's a short walk to the shrine, a small building, vandalized and in a terrible state. All of the windows have been boarded up and the front door appears to be barricaded. While some of the work (charitably described as fortifications) seems to be fairly recent, there's no sign of life within or without.
    Alessandra couldn't help but chuckle as the pair approached. "A Shrine of Sarenrae, hidden here from the sun's gaze. Heh." She cracked her knuckles, looking around for an uncovered window or some other inconspicuous opening. "Well then, Vai. You have a secret knock or something?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Vai and Alessandra
    Underbridge

The first of the children, a girl of maybe seven, stretches out her grubby little fingers. "Make it a silver piece for each of my friends. You're rich and I'm not stupid," she snaps. "You want to know where the Tower Girls are hiding out, don't you?"

The urchins here were certainly street-wise.

"There's an abandoned Shrine to Sarenrae that way." She gestures south-east, toward the cliff, where you see a winged statue peeking out over the rooftops. "They're holed up there."

((The children give you the information regardless of if you pay, or how much you pay. There are five of them. Obviously, should you wish to foster a good relationship with the little scamps, you should tip them.))

Vai and Alessandra
    Underbridge

Vai smiled at the girl's boldness, returned the silver piece to her purse, and pulled out four silvers and a gold crown. She flipped a silver to the children flanking the ringleader, and the gold to the girl who had spoken.

"Divide that however you wish. And should anyone come looking for me, be sure to let me know. I'd be...very grateful."

Pushing herself back to a standing position, Vai nodded towards Alessandra to get her attention from her book.

"It looks like we near the end of our quest. I hope you're as excited as I am."

Vai's excitement proved a bit premature, as her face well conveyed as she examined the ramshackle headquarters the children had pointed them towards. However, her dismay only lasted for a moment, and setting her shoulders she strode forward to the barricaded door and began pounding her fist against it with surprising strength for such a lithe build. As the pounding continued, she called out in Varisian.

"I am Vai Merejan, daughter to Esmara, of the clan Merezani of the River Kingdoms. I come with my mother's blessing to speak with Terisha Skiloni!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to impress the urchins: (1d20+14)[25]

Diplomacy to get let in by the Tower Girls: (1d20+14)[33]
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-07-29 at 05:06 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai and Alessandra
    Underbridge

Alessandra calmly leans up against the stone next to the door as Vai does her thing, pulling her book back out and continuing where she left off even as she began to comment upon her companion's actions with a wry smile.

"That's some secret knock you've got. Reminds me of that one time I tried to bust down the door of this Kellid gang's hideout and they just opened it because I'd guessed the password." She stifles a quiet laugh at that.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

A prayer for forgiveness. A prayer for redemption. A prayer for guidance. The cold, silent walls of the temple offered little comfort. When he was finished, Zuberi sought a Pharasman devotee to make a donation and inquiry.

Spoiler
    Show

Zuberi would like to donate 2 gp to the church.
    He also would ask if there are any temples or shrines to Irori in town, and failing that, Sarenrae.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Irčne
    Cynosure Tower, Keystone

Irčne learns that Bevaluu Zimantiu is the only priestess here. She attends the tower by herself, except for the two months of the year she devotes to her pilgrimages. For a safe inn, she sadly recommends the Old Fang in Dockway. Despite its location, she insists it's a far safer place to lay your head than the nicer inns in town. The rooms are cheap, so it's also easy on your purse if you intend to stay a while.

"You'll find a swamp barracuda's head on display in the parlor. That fish killed her husband. Ol' Mam took her revenge with a hatchet. No one steals from Ol' Mam or bothers her guests. Have a glass of the Longacre; it's overpriced but it's her favorite so she'll like you more."

She says that she doesn't need any help at the temple. She punctuates her words with a terse Varisian accent. "If you want to serve the goddess, girl, you should be on the road. This place doesn't need your protection -- people do."

Bevaluu regrets to inform Irčne that she hasn't heard the name Agustín Iturburua, but gives her directions to an information broker known that goes by The Amazing Zograthy in Washers' Row.

She laughs when Irčne asks for directions to the Irespan. "You didn't see it from the boat? Yes, the scent of the ocean is on you. It's the big bridge, girl. A funny name for a bridge, I think, but I'm not old enough to have named it. Go back to the Dockway and follow the path up the cliff. It's north from there."

Valamir, joining Irčne
    Cynosure Tower, Keystone

Valamir noted the Shucked Oyster brothel as he passed down Hawk Street. Everyone notes the Shucked Oyster when they go down Hawk Street. He also passes the merchant's guildhouse, the Deadeye Lodge and the small magic school where the same half elf still lectures about how a Circle of Protection against Evil will also protect you from compulsion spells. Interesting or not, Valamir at least understands the arcanababble and why wards work as they do.

He arrives at the Cynosure Tower just as Irčne completes her conversation with the priestess.

Zuberi
    Church of Pharasma, Keystone

"I'm so sorry, but I don't think many people this far north have even heard of Irori. You must be a very long way from home." The young female acolyte seems genuinely sympathetic, perhaps uncharacteristically so for a devotee of Pharasma.

"I believe the Temple of Iomedea has small shrines dedicated to Apsu and Sarenae. Oh! Well, there was a church built for the Dawnflower under the Irespan. The cleric there was blackmailed and beaten to death when he wouldn't pay the Sczarni, poor man. It's been abandoned for years now and it's in a terrible state."

Vai and Alessandra
    Shrine of Sarenrae, Underbridge

Perhaps surprisingly, that was all Vai had to say. A wooden slat in the barricaded doorway shot open. A dusky face and a light brown eye appears. "No ****? You're really from clan Merezani?" is the astonished, but pleasant reply in Varisian.

A murmur of voices consult rapidly within. Within half a minute, there is the sound of something heavy being dragged away from the doorway and a crate lid is pried away from the barricade. Ducking through, a slender Varisian woman in golden chain mail exits the church. Her hair is bleached blonde except for the tips, which are left black. She stares at Vai skeptically for several seconds before embracing her and kissing her on each cheek.

"It's true! Oh, you look just like gram. Same nose. Ha! Oh, cousin, you've come a long way."

The family resemblance is clear to Vai, she knows instantly that this woman is Terisha, her cousin.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-29 at 11:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show
    Irčne
    Cynosure Tower, Keystone

Irčne learns that Bevaluu Zimantiu is the only priestess here. She attends the tower by herself, except for the two months of the year she devotes to her pilgrimages. For a safe inn, she sadly recommends the Old Fang in Dockway. Despite its location, she insists it's a far safer place to lay your head than the nicer inns in town. The rooms are cheap, so it's also easy on your purse if you intend to stay a while.

"You'll find a swamp barracuda's head on display in the parlor. That fish killed her husband. Ol' Mam took her revenge with a hatchet. No one steals from Ol' Mam or bothers her guests. Have a glass of the Longacre; it's overpriced but it's her favorite so she'll like you more."

She says that she doesn't need any help at the temple. She punctuates her words with a terse Varisian accent. "If you want to serve the goddess, girl, you should be on the road. This place doesn't need your protection -- people do."

Bevaluu regrets to inform Irčne that she hasn't heard the name Agustín Iturburua, but gives her directions to an information broker known that goes by The Amazing Zograthy in Washers' Row.

She laughs when Irčne asks for directions to the Irespan. "You didn't see it from the boat? Yes, the scent of the ocean is on you. It's the big bridge, girl. A funny name for a bridge, I think, but I'm not old enough to have named it. Go back to the Dockway and follow the path up the cliff. It's north from there."

Trying as best she could to hide the frustration on her face from the lack of information and tact, Irčne thanked Bevaluu for her help and left, running into Valamir just outside the tower.

"Well, hello again, Valamir! Fancy running into you." She smiled again, genuinely again. "If you still want to go up to the Irespan tonight I've got directions - the path up's in the Dockway." She sighed. "Not as much luck otherwise, though. I don't suppose you've come across anyone named The Amazing Zograthy or an inn called the Old Fang while you were walking about, did you?"
    Everything dissolves into blue.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Valamir, joining Irčne
    Cynosure Tower, Keystone

Valamir noted the Shucked Oyster brothel as he passed down Hawk Street. Everyone notes the Shucked Oyster when they go down Hawk Street. He also passes the merchant's guildhouse, the Deadeye Lodge and the small magic school where the same half elf still lectures about how a Circle of Protection against Evil will also protect you from compulsion spells. Interesting or not, Valamir at least understands the arcanababble and why wards work as they do.

He arrives at the Cynosure Tower just as Irčne completes her conversation with the priestess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    Trying as best she could to hide the frustration on her face from the lack of information and tact, Irčne thanked Bevaluu for her help and left, running into Valamir just outside the tower.

"Well, hello again, Valamir! Fancy running into you." She smiled again, genuinely again. "If you still want to go up to the Irespan tonight I've got directions - the path up's in the Dockway." She sighed. "Not as much luck otherwise, though. I don't suppose you've come across anyone named The Amazing Zograthy or an inn called the Old Fang while you were walking about, did you?"

Valamir

"And greetings to you again as well, Irčne," Valamir replies, doffing his hat and bowing smoothly. "Funny you should mention The Old Fang, as I just had a drink there. I also passed The Sh-actually, never mind that," he breaks off with a cough. "Not important." He pauses a moment as he fumbles for a new line of conversation, striking upon the reminder of the Irespan. "Yes! I would love to visit the Irespan with you tonight. Perpaps we'll see Captain Thalin there," he adds with a smirk. "Although hopefully not above us."

"I just came here to pay my respects to the friendly neighborhood temple of Desna, but I could certainly show you the way to The Old Fang after doing so if you like. Their Longacre is good, and the host was kindly."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Perhaps surprisingly, that was all Vai had to say. A wooden slat in the barricaded doorway shot open. A dusky face and a light brown eye appears. "No ****? You're really from clan Merezani?" is the astonished, but pleasant reply in Varisian.

A murmur of voices consult rapidly within. Within half a minute, there is the sound of something heavy being dragged away from the doorway and a crate lid is pried away from the barricade. Ducking through, a slender Varisian woman in golden chain mail exits the church. Her hair is bleached blonde except for the tips, which are left black. She stares at Vai skeptically for several seconds before embracing her and kissing her on each cheek.

"It's true! Oh, you look just like gram. Same nose. Ha! Oh, cousin, you've come a long way."

The family resemblance is clear to Vai, she knows instantly that this woman is Terisha, her cousin.

Vai and Alessandra

Vai returned her cousin's embrace tightly, planting warm kisses on her cheeks as well before pulling away to get another look at her.

"It has been a long journey, cousin. But finally I find you, and even in these shadows the Unquenchable Fire fills me with joy! Please, let me introduce my newfound companion Alessandra."

Turning with one hand still on Terisha's forearm, Vai gestured for Alessandra to come forward.

"We met on the ship - she is a newcomer to this land, as I am. I thought the Tower Girls might be able to make use of her ample talents but..."

Vai paused, and looked once again at the ruin they were standing in front of.

"I see I have arrived to find you in hard times, cousin. I have heard some from the fortune teller Zograthy, but you must tell me everything."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-07-30 at 12:36 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai and Alessandra

Tempted as she was to practice her sense of humor just a little more, Alessandra opted not to speak and simply raised her hand in acknowledgement and confirmation when Vai mentioned her name (and presumably gestured in her direction). This was not her home ground; she'd rather let Vai lead when it came to her own family than risk offense right now.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously on House Hunters Magnimar: Seeking a Loan
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Before leaving Shimura asks for a map of the city so that he may mark down locations. "I will be back either tomorrow or the day after to make an offer. Thank you for your assistance." With that Shimura set off to find a decent inn where he could clean up and wash some of this sea salt off. If there was still enough time left in the day after that he'd put on something more appropriate for a merchant of moderate wealth and head to the temple to see what sort of deal they were willing to make.

It wasn't hard to find a decent inn, though it was a bit more work to get a bath drawn in the middle of the day. When Shimura headed out again he was clean, fresh, and well dressed. Cleaning up had given him some time to think. Getting a loan from this Derexhis family would put him under their thumb, but supposedly they ran the guard or something? That'd suggest that they'd be great customers as well, and that plot right in town center was calling his name. It could be a luxury shop, full of high end goods that deserved his name. Visions of gold pieces distracted him. Instead of heading to the temple he ended up asking around about the Derexhis.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Two hours spent gathering information with a result of 26.

If it isn't too late in the day after this, Shimura will try to see if he can meet with them today or set up a meeting with them tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

12. - Top - End - #102

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    Valamir

"And greetings to you again as well, Irčne," Valamir replies, doffing his hat and bowing smoothly. "Funny you should mention The Old Fang, as I just had a drink there. I also passed The Sh-actually, never mind that," he breaks off with a cough. "Not important." He pauses a moment as he fumbles for a new line of conversation, striking upon the reminder of the Irespan. "Yes! I would love to visit the Irespan with you tonight. Perpaps we'll see Captain Thalin there," he adds with a smirk. "Although hopefully not above us."

"I just came here to pay my respects to the friendly neighborhood temple of Desna, but I could certainly show you the way to The Old Fang after doing so if you like. Their Longacre is good, and the host was kindly."

Irčne smiled. "That sounds lovely, Valamir, thank you. Although if we could make a slight detour through Washer's Row on the way, that would be marvelous as well - if you happen to know where that is, as well."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Irčne smiled. "That sounds lovely, Valamir, thank you. Although if we could make a slight detour through Washer's Row on the way, that would be marvelous as well - if you happen to know where that is, as well."
    "I do not mind," the Fetchling replies. "In fact, I learned on my way over here that Washers' Row is near Beacon's Point, a fairly straight line north from the temple here. I also heard that one Mother Flytongue (lovely name, isn't it?) leads the gang known as the Washside Wringers (Sczarni, of course) which owns the entire neighborhood. The businesses mostly deal in sails, and to a lesser extent large orders of cloth. They are, of course, mostly fronts for more interesting - ah, I mean illegal - businesses, such as smuggling and fencing. Pretty poor area made up of tent- and wagon-dwelling Varisians. A veritable hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-07-31 at 01:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Shimura
    Capital District

There are several public baths in the Capital District. Not everyone in the city had plumbing in their homes and very few could enjoy a magically heated bath. Entry is only five copper pieces. Eager pages wait inside and offer additional services like shaving and laundry. A busy novice mage is at work using Prestidigitation to clean garments and polish boots.

While in the bath, Shimura inquires about House Derexhi and learns the following from a group of chatty merchants: House Derexhi is one of the oldest noble families in Magnimar (though Magnimar itself is a fairly young city, so that's not terribly impressive). Their patriarch is a man named Randred, a respectable gentleman, but one with a reputation for being a fierce fighter. The family makes its coin from, in the simplest sense, maintaining a well armed and trained group of mercenaries. In the more nuanced sense, they can be described as 'problem solvers'. Among their tools are a number of elite adventuring sorts.

"If you want a job done, and you've got the coin, you talk to Derexhi. They don't ask a bunch of undue questions like the Pathfinders. Very professional. Oh, nothing untoward, Mister Shimura, they just put steel and boots where they need to be!"

"Now, if you want to speak with Lord Derexhi, I wouldn't go tomorrow unless you have a damned good pitch. No one likes to be disturbed at their home on Starday. He sees petitioners Moonday, Wealday, and, oh, well it's Fireday today isn't it? Getting on in the afternoon and I bet he's all scheduled up by now."

Spoiler: Shimura
    Show
    Shave, magically laundered clothes and a bath -- 1 sp.

Vai and Alessandra

Inside the church, Terisha and six other Tower Girls gather around. A small rug, a few pillows, sleeping rolls, backpacks, and a few weapons lay in a circle at the rear of the room. Broken pews and boards from shipping crates have been used to secure the windows and door from both sides.

As Terisha explains their plight, she offers a half empty bottle of wine to Vai and her friend. Unfortunately, they all speak in Varisian without consideration for Alessandra.

"We had a good thing going. The Blades were our eyes and ears, we were the hands. Naturally, we gave them a share of what we hit. But Carent got greedy and eventually pushed for fifty percent! Fifty percent, while we do the hard part of the job! But okay, fifty percent of a lot is still a lot, da? But then he gets it in his head that we're holding out on him -- keeping some of the gold tucked away for ourselves. He goes crazy! We get back one day two months ago and the son of a bitch has thrown out half our stuff! Tents, clothes, half of it on the street. I say half. Bastard kept the good stuff! I miss Sonya... eh, she's my whip."

"So here we are. This is only some of us. Ayala runs the other camp in a warehouse near here. But a lot of the girls left when Carent kicked us out of his camp. So we're looking for a new place. We have our eyes on the Crow piling, about half a mile off the beach. There's a little alcove, big enough for a rowboat at low tide. Adventurers have known about it for years, but it doesn't lead to anything. Or so everyone thought. Ayala? She has the best ears. She can hear an empty chamber not far through the rock, so... we dig."

Spoiler: Alessandra
    Show
    Alessandra suspects that the rug may be covering a trap door.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-31 at 01:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Inside the church, Terisha and six other Tower Girls gather around. A small rug, a few pillows, sleeping rolls, backpacks, and a few weapons lay in a circle at the rear of the room. Broken pews and boards from shipping crates have been used to secure the windows and door from both sides.

As Terisha explains their plight, she offers a half empty bottle of wine to Vai and her friend. Unfortunately, they all speak in Varisian without consideration for Alessandra.

"We had a good thing going. The Blades were our eyes and ears, we were the hands. Naturally, we gave them a share of what we hit. But Carent got greedy and eventually pushed for fifty percent! Fifty percent, while we do the hard part of the job! But okay, fifty percent of a lot is still a lot, da? But then he gets it in his head that we're holding out on him -- keeping some of the gold tucked away for ourselves. He goes crazy! We get back one day two months ago and the son of a bitch has thrown out half our stuff! Tents, clothes, half of it on the street. I say half. Bastard kept the good stuff! I miss Sonya... eh, she's my whip."

"So here we are. This is only some of us. Ayala runs the other camp in a warehouse near here. But a lot of the girls left when Carent kicked us out of his camp. So we're looking for a new place. We have our eyes on the Crow piling, about half a mile off the beach. There's a little alcove, big enough for a rowboat at low tide. Adventurers have known about it for years, but it doesn't lead to anything. Or so everyone thought. Ayala? She has the best ears. She can hear an empty chamber not far through the rock, so... we dig."

Spoiler: Alessandra
    Show
    Alessandra suspects that the rug may be covering a trap door.

Vai and Alessandra

Vai took a draught from the wine bottle before passing it to Alessandra. She listened to the story of the Tower Girls' plight with a sympathetic ear, nodding at mention of the piling. When she responded, it was in Varisian as well.

"It seems a good plan, cousin. But where there are hidden chambers, there are most likely hidden doors. Alessandra..."

Vai paused, realizing that they'd been speaking Varisian the entire time and recognizing the retrained frustration in Alessandra's face. With a slight gasp, she switched to Common.

"Alessandra, forgive me. I forget you don't speak our tongue. Terisha was just telling me how what we've heard is true. That nenorocitule Donal Carent stabbed the Tower Girls in the back, stole from them, and called it an amicable parting. He has control of their old camp, while the Girls were forced to take shelter here and in a nearby warehouse. But Terisha tells me that one of their members, Ayala, thinks she's found a secret room in the Crow Piling. I was about to say," she turned her attention back to Terisha, "Alessandra's senses are incredibly keen. Between her awareness and my ability to sense the arcane, we might be able to find a way into the piling that doesn't require digging an obvious entrance."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-07-31 at 02:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra

Terisha rolls her eyes a little, but consents to speaking in Taldane. "I will speak with Ayala when she returns tonight. She may not like the idea of working with the gadji, but if my cousins trusts her, I will make Ayala trust her."

One of the girls behind Terisha speaks up, "Why is she so eager to help us? I don't trust her yet. She looks Chelish. Nothing good comes out of that country; even their wine is ****."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Terisha rolls her eyes a little, but consents to speaking in Taldane. "I will speak with Ayala when she returns tonight. She may not like the idea of working with the gadji, but if my cousins trusts her, I will make Ayala trust her."

One of the girls behind Terisha speaks up, "Why is she so eager to help us? I don't trust her yet. She looks Chelish. Nothing good comes out of that country; even their wine is ****."

Vai nodded at Talisha's reticence, and while her eyes flashed with annoyance as the as-yet unnamed Tower Girl spoke up, she did not deny it.

"True, Alessandra is from the lands of the occupier, but she was a great help in finding you, and regardless of her race she is a newcomer to this city just as I am. But after the Wreckwash Blades' betrayal I can sympathize with your skepticism."

Vai lapsed into a silent moment of thought before snapping her fingers.

"You say that Ayala will not return until tonight? I take it she is your leader, then? In that case, perhaps Alessandra and I can do you a kindness to help earn your trust. You say that Carent stole from you? Perhaps we can return some of what was taken. Including Sonya."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #108

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "I do not mind," the Fetchling replies. "In fact, I learned on my way over here that Washers' Row is near Beacon's Point, a fairly straight line north from the temple here. I also heard that one Mother Flytongue (lovely name, isn't it?) leads the gang known as the Washside Wringers (Sczarni, of course) which owns the entire neighborhood. The businesses mostly deal in sails, and to a lesser extent large orders of cloth. They are, of course, mostly fronts for more interesting - ah, I mean illegal - businesses, such as smuggling and fencing. Pretty poor area made up of tent- and wagon-dwelling Varisians. A veritable hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Irčne tapped her morningstar and twirled magic around her hand once more. "True enough. But I am hardly defenseless - as, I suspect, is the same of you." She leaned against a column. "I'll be here while you take care of your business inside."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Vai and Alessandra

Though still slightly annoyed by the accidental exclusion, the Chelaxian doesn't seem to be overly distressed by it. Really, she was expecting to be asked to wait outside with an armed gang member watching her, so really accidental exclusion seems fairly benign.

"No love for Chelish Wine?", says Alessandra in mock offense, shortly after taking a long sip of the presumably Varisian wine that Vai passed and passing it back. "And to think I was about to pass around a bottle of Sweet Sorrow!" She giggles softly, betraying her silly intent. "But really, what do you imagine I could possibly have to gain from seeking out a gang of well-armed Calistrians and antagonizing them? I'm here because Vai" - She throws a thumb gesture toward the person in question - "Said there might be some work available, and was so damn personable about it too! And frankly, I can get behind work that involves beating a bunch of thugs senseless and taking some of their ill-gotten gains."

As she finishes her sentence, she leans forward, resting her head carefully on her clasped hands and grinning mischievously.

"So hello there. My name is Alessandra di Orsinesca, and I hear you've got a problem with some thieves."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Irčne tapped her morningstar and twirled magic around her hand once more. "True enough. But I am hardly defenseless - as, I suspect, is the same of you." She leaned against a column. "I'll be here while you take care of your business inside."

Valamir smirked in response, "That is true, but I do not seek violence except in necessity." After that, he headed inside in search of someone of some authority to speak to.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra

(All speaking Taldane now)

"I said Chelish wine was ****. I didn't say I don't drink alcohol." The Tower Girl smirks at Alessandra and folds her arms.

Terisha waves her off. There will be time for a drink later, perhaps a celebratory one. "Vărul meu, I would gladly see Carent beaten and left penniless for what he's done. But if he is, who do you think he will blame? If we retaliate, he'll want our blood. This whole situation will go from bad business to a full scale war. And the other gangs will not be happy with us if we start it. You want to help? Desăvârşit! But do it with a velvet hand -- frame someone."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

(All speaking Taldane now)

"I said Chelish wine was ****. I didn't say I don't drink alcohol." The Tower Girl smirks at Alessandra and folds her arms.

Terisha waves her off. There will be time for a drink later, perhaps a celebratory one. "Vărul meu, I would gladly see Carent beaten and left penniless for what he's done. But if he is, who do you think he will blame? If we retaliate, he'll want our blood. This whole situation will go from bad business to a full scale war. And the other gangs will not be happy with us if we start it. You want to help? Desăvârşit! But do it with a velvet hand -- frame someone."

Vai and Alessandra

Vai nodded, perhaps a bit disappointed.

"The Savored Sting teaches that vengeance should be meted out tenfold, but she also teaches that it should be cold, and as protracted as possible. I would gladly draw Carent into conflict with another gang, but who?"

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir
    Cynosure Tower, Keystone

The priestess says she's heard that the Captain's Club (owned by Leruu "Whitelips" Kantiki) is nearly the best establishment in town, however she's never been. Membership is required and only sea captains are allowed to apply. Long time members are allowed to bring guests. The Club also has an understanding with the House of Welcome, the classiest brothel in town -- courtesans are permitted inside to attract clients. The arrangement has been beneficial to both parties.

At the top of the list is the Osprey Club, operated by one Kayasi Zivatchi. Without a doubt, it's the most expensive, but it offers the widest variety of diversions. Membership is perhaps even more exclusive and limited almost entirely to the local nobility. Bevaluu knows little about it.

Beacon's Point is rife with low class taverns. She has little business in that district and offers no specifics.

In the Capital District, there's actually a Tavern Street. There are at least a dozen middle/high class establishments there.

She mentions there's a villa for sale with a great view right on the Seacleft (the cliff that divides the city). "Abandoned for years. The Kaijitsu family patriarch was lost in a storm more than twenty years ago. They took their money and influence to Sandpoint. Lonjiku died four years back when goblins attacked Sandpoint, so now the house belongs to his daughter Ameiko who has no use for it. I think she would be glad to be rid of it. There are no happy memories in that house." Beyond this, she isn't interested in or knowledgeable about other properties.

As a blanket warning, she tells Valamir not to deal with the Sczarni, but the gangs in Underbridge are particularly dangerous. Most Sczarni will just rob you, but in Underbridge they'll slit your throat first.

"If you want to see the beauty in the city? Walk. You silly boy. The fun is in discovery."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir scribbles a few notes from the priestess' words into his journal before thanking her and taking his leave with a wink, "Try not to miss me while I'm gone." Having got what information he could, he turns and joins Irčne outside. "Ready to go then?"

25. - Top - End - #115

Irčne nodded, stretching her limbs. "Whenever you are."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Washers' Row

Washers' Row is a maze-like, densely packed series of launderers, wagons and tents. Here the air is acrid. The stinging smell of soap is almost enough to overwhelm the stink of too many people and too little sewer access. The neighborhood looks almost exclusively Varisian.

At the southern end of of the neighborhood (the end you approach from), a tattered banner hanging over the entrance of the small side street advertises "Professor Callivario's Stupendous Exhibition of the Outrageous and Sublime." A Varisian man with a long white beards becons the pair to view his collection of oddities. Beyond is a squalid setup consisting of little more than a series of rundown sideshow booths and carts with assorted games and amusements of the meaner sort. To one side, urchins pitch pennies at lily pads floating in a small, scum-covered fountain while a bored carny looks on. Everywhere lurk faces pinched with suspicion or hunger -- expressions worn by carnival workers and visitors alike.

They spot a pair of men with orange sashes. They mutter to each other in Varisian, but without context, guessing at the nature of their conversation is futile. When a two men and a woman in clean white coats appears, they nod in greeting and withdraw together down an alleyway.

Without further incident, Valamir and Irčne arrive at The 'Amazing Zograthy, Seer of the Dark'. The haggard old man plies his trade in a patchwork tent covered in mysterious symbols painted with an unsteady hand. Strings of chicken bones and old wine bottles decorate the entrance. He stands outside in his threadbare robe, smoking a sickly sweet smelling cigarillo with a glassy look in his eyes.

His lips pucker in a curious sort of smile and he nods happily at Valamir. "The Amazing Zograthy knows what you seek, my friend."

Vai and Alessandra

Terisha gives Vai the crash course version of gang politics. While there are a few extremely small gangs, usually consisting of just one extended Varisian family, the major players in Magnimar are: The Gallowed (at the top of the foodchain), the Creepers, Doolan's Lads, the Washside Wringers, the Wreckwash Blades. Total membership in the Tower Girls is now just thirteen, which effectively bumps them off the list.

The Gargoyles and the Night Scales were the Tower Girl's biggest competitors. Non-Varisian, but in the same business of burglary and theft. The Night Scales are by far the biggest organization and have their hands in everything from pickpocketing to assassination.

"Carent has a good relationship with the Gallowed and the Wringers; he'd never believe one of them ripped him off. Doolan's Lads would work. They get by on the city's scraps and nothing is too low for them -- even hitting another gang without provocation. No one would miss them. The Night Scales are big enough that they couldn't possibly keep tabs on all their members -- and if they knew Carent had a trunk full of magic items sitting around in his tent city, they'd definitely want them."

Other options may include Shoanti street thugs or the Gargoyles. The Gargoyles would be difficult to frame, since they're highly skilled and wouldn't leave any evidence if it was their job. The Shoanti would be easy for frame, but less productive to the political scene.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-03 at 01:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Terisha gives Vai the crash course version of gang politics. While there are a few extremely small gangs, usually consisting of just one extended Varisian family, the major players in Magnimar are: The Gallowed (at the top of the foodchain), the Creepers, Doolan's Lads, the Washside Wringers, the Wreckwash Blades. Total membership in the Tower Girls is now just thirteen, which effectively bumps them off the list.

The Gargoyles and the Night Scales were the Tower Girl's biggest competitors. Non-Varisian, but in the same business of burglary and theft. The Night Scales are by far the biggest organization and have their hands in everything from pickpocketing to assassination.

"Carent has a good relationship with the Gallowed and the Wringers; he'd never believe one of them ripped him off. Doolan's Lads would work. They get by on the city's scraps and nothing is too low for them -- even hitting another gang without provocation. No one would miss them. The Night Scales are big enough that they couldn't possibly keep tabs on all their members -- and if they knew Carent had a trunk full of magic items sitting around in his tent city, they'd definitely want them."

Other options may include Shoanti street thugs or the Gargoyles. The Gargoyles would be difficult to frame, since they're highly skilled and wouldn't leave any evidence if it was their job. The Shoanti would be easy for frame, but less productive to the political scene.

Vai and Alessandra

Vai's head tilted to one side as she considered Talisha's primer. Eventually, her lips pursed.

"Tell me more about the Night Scales."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #118

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    Washers' Row

Washers' Row is a maze-like, densely packed series of launderers, wagons and tents. Here the air is acrid. The stinging smell of soap is almost enough to overwhelm the stink of too many people and too little sewer access. The neighborhood looks almost exclusively Varisian.

At the southern end of of the neighborhood (the end you approach from), a tattered banner hanging over the entrance of the small side street advertises "Professor Callivario's Stupendous Exhibition of the Outrageous and Sublime." A Varisian man with a long white beards becons the pair to view his collection of oddities. Beyond is a squalid setup consisting of little more than a series of rundown sideshow booths and carts with assorted games and amusements of the meaner sort. To one side, urchins pitch pennies at lily pads floating in a small, scum-covered fountain while a bored carny looks on. Everywhere lurk faces pinched with suspicion or hunger -- expressions worn by carnival workers and visitors alike.

They spot a pair of men with orange sashes. They mutter to each other in Varisian, but without context, guessing at the nature of their conversation is futile. When a two men and a woman in clean white coats appears, they nod in greeting and withdraw together down an alleyway.

Without further incident, Valamir and Irčne arrive at The 'Amazing Zograthy, Seer of the Dark'. The haggard old man plies his trade in a patchwork tent covered in mysterious symbols painted with an unsteady hand. Strings of chicken bones and old wine bottles decorate the entrance. He stands outside in his threadbare robe, smoking a sickly sweet smelling cigarillo with a glassy look in his eyes.

His lips pucker in a curious sort of smile and he nods happily at Valamir. "The Amazing Zograthy knows what you seek, my friend."

Irčne stepped forward as The Amazing Zograthy spoke to Valamir. "And would the same hold true for me as well, oh Amazing Zograthy?"

Spoiler: Assuming he says 'Yes...'
    Show
    Irčne nodded, a very matter-of-fact look on her face. "Then this should be a simple question. Valamir, would you mind giving us a little space?"

Spoiler: If Valamir says 'Yes...'
    Show
    Even with Valamir out of earshot, Irčne lowered her voice. "There is a man in this city named Agustín Iturburua. Where can I find him?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+15)[22]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Amazing Zograthy's, Washers' Row

Zograthy protests when Irčne gives the name. "Wait a minute, wait a minute, kid! You didn't even let me do my schtick. The thing with the crystal ball and... where did it go, I had it right here. Why do they make these things round? They just roll off the table. I say the thing. Yadda yadda I'm seeing all the things. You put the money on the table. I tell you the stuff with the guy and the thing he did. Kids these days, no appreciation for the old ways."

He snorts smoke out his nostrils while waving his hands frustratedly overhead.

"Let's start over, yeah? I am the Amazing Zograthy! I know all. I see all..."

He gestures encouragingly to the empty table.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-03 at 04:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Irčne turned slightly red as she realized she had run slipshod over Zorograthy's shtick.

"Sorry! I didn't realize I was interrupting. Yes, let's start over."
    Reaching into her pouch, Irčne shoved forward 5 gold pieces before letting Zorograthy continue with his spiel.