New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Yep, weapon scaling is such a huge thing in Dark Sous 1 that it was entirely possible to beat the whole game and stay at level 1, you have to be good at the game obviously, but just by keeping your weapon as upgraded as possiblel for the area, you damage stays competitive.
    Another important part of SL1 runs is using the attack boosting items like Gold Pine Resin (because they make more difference when your damage is that low).

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

It should be noted that you will eventually be able to buy infinite charcoal pine resin. Golden pine resin is in much more limited supply, although I think there's an enemy that drops it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, I ended up starting again because I decided I wanted to go with a dexterity build, and now I've gotten back to where I was before, just before the gargoyles. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Stats and items are below
    Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

(By the way, is there a way to resize screenshots on Steam?)

Unlabled gear; Estus Flask+1, Bluestone ring (+def when critically wounded), Ring of the Wolf (+40 Poise), Grass-crest shield, 1 more gold pine resin I think, Knight's armor set (And several other sets), Master key

My specific questions are;

1) Are there any glaring holes in my stats I should rectify before fighting the gargoyles?
    2) Should I upgrade a different weapon for the Gargoyle fight, or is my rapier suitable? I've got a fair number of polearms, swords, and a handful of other weapons in the bottomless box, and 7 titanite shards to upgrade a weapon with- Or should I use it on my shield or armor?
    3) I generally like to run at medium (<50%) weight. Is agility critical to the fight with the Gargoyles (meaning I should switch to a lighter set of armor), or should I be good there?
    4) Are there any items I really ought to pick up before the fight?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry about the giant screenshots
    Last edited by Squark; 2015-06-27 at 05:29 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    My specific questions are;

1) Are there any glaring holes in my stats I should rectify before fighting the gargoyles?
    2) Should I upgrade a different weapon for the Gargoyle fight, or is my rapier suitable? I've got a fair number of polearms, swords, and a handful of other weapons in the bottomless box
    3) I generally like to run at medium (<50%) weight. Is agility critical to the fight with the Gargoyles (meaning I should switch to a lighter set of armor), or should I be good there?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry about the giant screenshots
    In my experience, the Bell Gargoyles are not particularly difficult as boss fights go; If you summon Solaire (his summon sign is right in front of the Fog Gate, you can't miss it) he's more than likely capable of soloing them if you can avoid getting killed.

So basically, no, a rapier will work, you're probably fine, and nothing in particular.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    2) Should I upgrade a different weapon for the Gargoyle fight, or is my rapier suitable? I've got a fair number of polearms, swords, and a handful of other weapons in the bottomless box, and 7 titanite shards to upgrade a weapon with- Or should I use it on my shield or armor?
    2) There's no need to change weapons, but the Balder Knights drop a pretty awesome sword for dex builds. There's also an Espada down in the New Londo Ruins that you should be able to get without having to fight any ghosts.

4) There's a certain prisoner in the church. If you let him out before you kill the gargoyles he can also be summoned to help you. He'll escape on his own even if you don't, but he gives you an item if you do as I recall.

But yeah, Gargoyles are pretty simple. Try to hack off their tails if you can.
    Last edited by Tome; 2015-06-27 at 06:02 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have the Balder straight sword, and already rescued the Knight. I tried the Estoc, but I didn't like how the strong attack was a slash instead of a stab, and the unimpressive basic lunge didn't endear me to it, either.

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Squark; 2015-06-27 at 06:21 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

I reinstalled DS2 to try and tackle the rest of the DLC. But it soon turned out I'm out of practice, so I decided to get back into the swing of things before fighting the Fume Knight. I dusted off a cleric I started a while ago and fooled around the starting areas. It seems that it's pretty hard to get summoned or find a summon these days...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Oh no! This thread is in danger of going hollow.

But it still has purpose! Time for some speculation.

With the addition of weapon arts, weapons that come in sets (like the dual scimitars I've seen mentioned) and bows that fire much faster, I feel they're going to need to overhaul the casting system too, any ideas on how they can do that?

Personally I'd think it'd be cool if they gave ranged weapons and staffs/chimes/whateva infinite junk ammo that's supplemented with much better consumable stuff.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

>.>

I haven't beaten Bloodborne yet. I'm lost.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

>.>

I haven't beaten Bloodborne yet. I'm lost.
    Where are you stuck?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Where are you stuck?
    Let's see here. The place after the Church Workshop I think. I don't know what to do and Germaine didn't leave me a note.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see here. The place after the Church Workshop I think. I don't know what to do and Germaine didn't leave me a note.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so, there's a large rotunda with two of those white hulks with giant axes roaming there enjoying the scenery. Assuming you got their via the stairs from the Chapel, you need to head to the left, which will take you to a two-tiered area. Keep exploring in there, and you should find a door with a guy behind it requiring a password. To get the password, you need to talk to the pasty blonde haired cleric boy you met just before the area to Old Yahrnam. He's somewhere outside the Chapel in one of the bright overlooks of the city. Hell as I remember how to get to him from there though. You'd have to look at a more comprehensive guide for that.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so, there's a large rotunda with two of those white hulks with giant axes roaming there enjoying the scenery. Assuming you got their via the stairs from the Chapel, you need to head to the left, which will take you to a two-tiered area. Keep exploring in there, and you should find a door with a guy behind it requiring a password. To get the password, you need to talk to the pasty blonde haired cleric boy you met just before the area to Old Yahrnam. He's somewhere outside the Chapel in one of the bright overlooks of the city. Hell as I remember how to get to him from there though. You'd have to look at a more comprehensive guide for that.
    Actually, that's not entirely true.

Spoiler
    Show
    To get the password, you have to defeat the boss of the Cathedral Ward, then touch its skull on the altar. This gives you a vision where you hear the password. Alfred (the cleric) gives you a hint that you need the password, that's all. Once you've seen the vision, you can go talk to password dude again and he'll let you through - you don't need to actually remember it yourself.

It is entirely non-evident that this is what you're supposed to do, and the first place where I broke my promise to not Wiki the game because I got stuck there too.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I did get to the door, I just didn't have the password. I'll get to that.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Personally I'd think it'd be cool if they gave ranged weapons and staffs/chimes/whateva infinite junk ammo that's supplemented with much better consumable stuff.
    I don't think it's going to happen. What with it having that brutal Dark Souls reputation. If there were a Weapon Style for bows called "arrow recovery" or something along those lines that did that effect, I'd be ok with it. But again, knowing them, it'd come late game after you've already got 999 arrows you're more comfortable using.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Actually, that's not entirely true.

Spoiler
    Show
    To get the password, you have to defeat the boss of the Cathedral Ward, then touch its skull on the altar. This gives you a vision where you hear the password. Alfred (the cleric) gives you a hint that you need the password, that's all. Once you've seen the vision, you can go talk to password dude again and he'll let you through - you don't need to actually remember it yourself.

It is entirely non-evident that this is what you're supposed to do, and the first place where I broke my promise to not Wiki the game because I got stuck there too.
    I couldn't remember if it was that way or if it was by touching the skull. Good to know.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

...I appear to have lost all my Dark Souls 2 saves. I didn't back them up, because I thought Steam was supposed to keep them in cloud storage for later retrieval. Bugger.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Dark Souls 3 gameplay trailer. It looks beautiful and it reminds me so much of Demon's Souls. I'm pretty sure the character is wearing the fluted armour set.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #619
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

\[T]/

Looks great, Dark Souls style combat & visuals with Bloodborne's responsiveness and detail. Do want.

(The armour set is similar to the fluted set, but it isn't actually fluted, it will probably be the generic Knight set in the game. Visually far more reminiscent of Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 than "put cloth bitz everywhere to show them flapping" and "all matte all the time" in Dark Souls 2.)

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Oh well in my phone's screen it looked hell of a lot like the fluted set... and I actually like the aesthetics of Dark Souls II armours, Alva's armour is my favourite set in the series.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Was that actually Anor Londo in the video it looks very similar, then again i suppose the recurring timeline thing does fit with that.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting that we see someone actually create a bonfire by thrusting the metal rod into the bones and ashes.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

I noticed that of the previewed bosses, a lot of them were actually suits of armour, albeit horribly misshapen and with wildy different attack patterns.

Perhaps a jab at the complaints that too many bosses in DSII were just guys in armour with same-y movesets?
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The landscapes remind me much more of Bloodborne than of any of the Souls games. Not that that's a bad thing, particularly, but there is a definite aesthetic difference between the two.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Pixie in the Playground

I could use some jolly cooperation every now and then. My PSN is LemonsAnDragons.

So far, my pattern for playing Dark Souls is grind humanity in the depths, run to where I'm stuck, turn human, and summon a bunch of helpers. I don't think I've beaten a single major boss without someone else helping me.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

I started playing Dark Souls and does parrying and riposte actually matter? I don't think I ever used it much in Demon's Souls and with the limited estus flask fooling around with a very dangerous technique seems nonsensical.
    Any point in trying to learn doing it better?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I started playing Dark Souls and does parrying and riposte actually matter? I don't think I ever used it much in Demon's Souls and with the limited estus flask fooling around with a very dangerous technique seems nonsensical.
    Any point in trying to learn doing it better?
    Some bosses are very vulnrable to parries and a lot of the humanoid enemies, but otherwise its very much unneeded to learn.
    Despite everything, its still me.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Parrying's main use is in PvP - there are quite a few builds that you can wreck with a solid knowledge of parrying.

Apart from that, there are really only a couple unique enemies where parrying really helps. In my latest run I actually forgot about parrying entirely, and it didn't slow me down.

I think it's still worth learning, if only for the extreme satisfaction you get when you land a parry against one of the Black Knights. The main trick to parrying that took me a long time to learn is that you stand CLOSE. As in, not sword distance away - within arms reach. You pretty much want to be walking into them when they start their swing.

In other news, the Bloodborne DLC looks like it's going to hit late November. Oh, and one of the new weapons is going to have a spinning sawblade.

The hype is real!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

If you're talking Dark Souls 1, Parrying is super duper important... Against Black Knights and Silver Knights. Who have attacks that telegraph pretty well and have pretty big parry windows, for the most part, but otherwise do huge damage and don't give you much time between attacks to counterattack with. Trying to do Anor Londo without parrying is a great way to get very frustrated. It'll take a bit of practice, but I definitely recommend learning to parry these guys.

Otherwise, there are definitely some enemies that parrying helps against. Man-serpents, those demon guys in the Demon Ruins, the crystal dudes in the Duke's Archives, a couple of bosses with parryable attacks (of which the final boss is the most notable), but nowhere that it's so much better than any other tactic that you really need it.

If we're talking Dark Souls 2... Yeah, no, half of the enemies in the game can't be parried and half of the rest are immune to ripostes. Parrying is useful against Alonne Knights and sort of useful against Syan Knights and a few DLC enemies but otherwise can be ignored outside of PVP.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

When I first ran into the second black knight on the tower between the rats and the giant pig, this was pretty much me:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Yora; 2015-10-10 at 01:45 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying