New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

I love Diane being jealous.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I love Diane being jealous.
    I am surprised that she looks excited to see Elliot transform rather than more of a mix of emotions. I guess seeing a superhero in person is cool enough to be excited for regardless of other situations but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

Or maybe mopperville is just really lax about that kind of thing in general? Nanase has been known to float down the halls and noone called her on having magical powers until Diane did on newyears
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Is it just me or is Shive setting himself up for a problem. I'm reminded of the initial finale of the Fans! Webcomic (T Campbell's, before he resurrected it as a subscription comic). He spent so long pulling Alison and Rumi through the coals romantically that he couldn't find a satisfying ending without letting them share Rikk. I remember Campbell saying it wasn't his goal, but that it was the only outcome that wasn't tragic for Rumi.

I dunno, I get the feeling Shive, who stated he regrets making Elliot/Sarah go so smoothly, is working too hard to muddy the waters this time around. Two (if not three) of the three girls he's set up for this purpose are doomed to some heartbreak. I really don't think Elliot would be as flexible as Rikk with nonstandard solutions.

Still, this does bring in one exceptional cute little spitfire in Ashley and redeems Diane.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Is it just me or is Shive setting himself up for a problem. I'm reminded of the initial finale of the Fans! Webcomic (T Campbell's, before he resurrected it as a subscription comic). He spent so long pulling Alison and Rumi through the coals romantically that he couldn't find a satisfying ending without letting them share Rikk. I remember Campbell saying it wasn't his goal, but that it was the only outcome that wasn't tragic for Rumi.

I dunno, I get the feeling Shive, who stated he regrets making Elliot/Sarah go so smoothly, is working too hard to muddy the waters this time around. Two (if not three) of the three girls he's set up for this purpose are doomed to some heartbreak. I really don't think Elliot would be as flexible as Rikk with nonstandard solutions.

Still, this does bring in one exceptional cute little spitfire in Ashley and redeems Diane.
    Not seeing that yet. Diane, more than anything, needs to grow up from the "I'm gonna marry rich" to "If I'm gonna marry, it'd be for happiness". While Elliot might be part of that transition, I don't think Shive is going to show them as actually going out - her transition to something other than a self-ceterned bitch doesn't actually require her to go out with Elliot at all, after all.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-12-08 at 04:52 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Not seeing that yet. Diane, more than anything, needs to grow up from the "I'm gonna marry rich" to "If I'm gonna marry, it'd be for happiness". While Elliot might be part of that transition, I don't think Shive is going to show them as actually going out - her transition to something other than a self-ceterned bitch doesn't actually require her to go out with Elliot at all, after all.

Grey Wolf
    We've already seen that she isn't self-centered in regards to friends and family. Now it's just changing in regards to how she views romantic relationships.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

I agree with Grey Wolf here. I mean the three girls are Ashley, Diane and Susan correct? I see him staying with Ashley. Susan's arc is already pretty wrapped up IMO. She thought about it, realized she wasn't really ready for a relationship and moved on.

Diane I can see in a similar boat but instead of having already done that she needs to move to that point. Her crush on Elliot never had the healthiest feel to it. Originally feeling a bit abusive and then going a bit stalkery. She never really cared about Elliot's opinion on the matter and I could see using Elliot has a springboard for some more emotional maturity as being a good plot arc.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

New comic

Spoiler: New Comic
    Show
    So, my guess is that he turned into the male Cheerleadra? Out of sheer embarrassment? Although that doesn't fit with the MO of magic, come to think of it. Sure, fits the dramatic side, but not the "I shall keep offering female versions to Elliot until he picks one he likes, dammit". Unless, of course, the act of making out in one of said forms was the final push Elliot needed?

(or, of course, I may be completely wrong, and he just turned into a Cheerleadra in a far more covering, possibly uryuom, outfit. Not sure how that'd fit the faces, though)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-12-09 at 09:15 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

He was thinking about the Uryom outfit. He probably ended up in it. We know it could already do some degree of cosmetic shifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #520

It's also possible that he leveled up at some point and has a new superhero spell?

I'mma laugh if he's catboy super.(Because he can shift into a catboy as though he was a lesser Chimera, and it was mentioned that he might get catboy spells once he got over his girly spells)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #521

New comic

Show
    So, my guess is that he turned into the male Cheerleadra? Out of sheer embarrassment? Although that doesn't fit with the MO of magic, come to think of it. Sure, fits the dramatic side, but not the "I shall keep offering female versions to Elliot until he picks one he likes, dammit". Unless, of course, the act of making out in one of said forms was the final push Elliot needed?

(or, of course, I may be completely wrong, and he just turned into a Cheerleadra in a far more covering, possibly uryuom, outfit. Not sure how that'd fit the faces, though)

Grey Wolf
    Remember that Elliot's magic is screwed up because he awakened improperly giving him FV5 related spells thanks to the diamond instead of the spells he would develop naturally because of his personality. However this will eventually fix itself if Elliot uses enough magic. He's been using the Cheerleadra spell a lot lately. Enough that his magic has finally straightened itself out and will start giving him spells that fit his true nature? This transformation could be his first truly personal spell.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Ya put me down as him wearing a different outfit. That just seems to flow the best IMO.

If he turns catboy or male superhero it kind of negates the whole "Cheerledra's name being revealed" thing. Not completely but somewhat.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If he turns catboy or male superhero it kind of negates the whole "Cheerledra's name being revealed" thing. Not completely but somewhat.
    It could be a defense mechanism though as well. Cheerledra has been invalidated, so it's time to change to something different. Perhaps a combination of two other seggestions and instead he's a catgirl!

Although I would suspect that he is probably gaining a male form now. Which makes sense, if Tedd was correct saying that Elliot has to accept the spell, and he seems to have done so, at least that is what he told Ashley.

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

White Immortal seems like kind of a ****, so having both his plan and his "screw you" foiled would, in my opinion, be better than him having even s partial victory.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think he's now nude, from the reactions.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #526

PirateGirl

I think he's turned into a different version of cheerleadra, with a better looking outfit.

I also think this will count as his 'finally finding a female form he likes' transformation and after this, his magic will be unstuck from that particular path (though it may retain the general theme)
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

17. - Top - End - #527

New comic

Show

Grey Wolf
    I think he got a male form. In an uryuom outfit. It fits with Tedd's prediction, and I think it's going to be interesting having Elliot be like "yeeeeah but people know Cheerleadra right? So I'll take that form for nooooo other reason. At all." and then Ellen will be like "you have to get introspective!" and Elliot will be like "nope, sorry, too busy making out with my girlfriend!"

18. - Top - End - #528
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm just gonna echo Ellen and say; Wut?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I wonder, can Tara perceive spell mechanics well enough to know that "exorbitant breadth" is a mandatory part of the spell? Her question would make more sense that way, meaning "why does a spell focused on combat power have such a feature" rather than "why would you choose that customization".
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #530

Not what I expected. Especially the mask part.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Orc in the Playground

Well, wish granted, I guess.

Spoiler: Nice!
    Show
    I noticed that now Elliot looking like that cannot be called Cheerleadra anymore. Good, that name was mildly annoying.

All he needed to change clothes was a catalyst. Like worrying what your new friends would think of your super cheerleader outfit.
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-12-11 at 11:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Personally, I hope the "exorbitant breadth" has the option to become a bit less exorbitant, since that jiut looks painful to me.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Personally, I hope the "exorbitant breadth" has the option to become a bit less exorbitant, since that jiut looks painful to me.
    I'm sure the form comes not just with the FISS package, but also with the most common superpower, that removes the pain from carrying those around.

GW

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Well predictable result I guess, but also kinda boring. Like Elliott!

It doesn't seem, I don't know, two page worthy? It's a logical extension of his altering appearance of transforming into a girl combined with turning into a female superhero.

And considering Elliott's resistance to change, not reading his spellbook, and the difficulty in reading said self-updating spellbook, Elliott might've been able to do this for weeks, but has only stumbled upon it now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well predictable result I guess, but also kinda boring. Like Elliott!

It doesn't seem, I don't know, two page worthy? It's a logical extension of his altering appearance of transforming into a girl combined with turning into a female superhero.

And considering Elliott's resistance to change, not reading his spellbook, and the difficulty in reading said self-updating spellbook, Elliott might've been able to do this for weeks, but has only stumbled upon it now.
    Honestly, he might have been able to do it from the beginning.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Honestly, he might have been able to do it from the beginning.
    If so, wouldn't Ellen have mentioned it here or at least at some point? I'm not sure how serious you were being, but even if it's a joke, knowing that Ellen went through his entire spell book hurts the joke.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-12-12 at 12:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I am hoping that this surprise might kick Elliot into studying his spell book better. Tedd is saying be prepared for fecal matter to hit the fan, and Elliot is not doing anything? Heck, he has a training mat in his basement from what we saw with Ellen using it at one point. He could pay Gregg to continue sessions like that as well as properly studying his spell book.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

I am hoping that this surprise might kick Elliot into studying his spell book better. Tedd is saying be prepared for fecal matter to hit the fan, and Elliot is not doing anything? Heck, he has a training mat in his basement from what we saw with Ellen using it at one point. He could pay Gregg to continue sessions like that as well as properly studying his spell book.
    Ted said that at least six months ago. It is quite literally impossible for most of the population to stay in constant vigilance mode for that long. Also, from all we have heard, those books are extremely dull reads, and use vocabulary beyond that which Elliot is familiar and comfortable with. All this adds up to the fact that it is unlikely he will read the book thoroughly.

Grey Wolf

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I was more thinking in terms of training regime to slowly improve, sort of what he already did with martial arts. Then again, I also like to read, so that's part of my bias with reviewing the situation.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Then again, I also like to read, so that's part of my bias with reviewing the situation.
    So do I, but that doesn't mean I sit with, say, Unix's man pages printout and read it cover to cover. When I need something I can't accomplish with the commands I know, I look it up. The rest of the time, I am quite capable of living my life using what I already know, and instead read things that are fun, and probably have a plot. Does that mean I am missing some efficiencies here and there? Sure, almost certainly. But on the grand scheme of things, it is unlikely to compensate the time I'd use figuring it out against the time I'd save.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-12-12 at 06:11 PM.