New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Explanations? Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveler1 View Post
    I've heard this refered to as the "Han Solo" effect - that Han provides the nice accessable character that voices our problems with the world of Star Wars ("Hokey Religions", etc.).
    Not the "Jar Jar Binks" effect?
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

This is so wrong I had to create a account on here just to speak up. Gods.

PClips' point is, the jokes are good, if you don't get it, ask the other readers, they get it. Everyone was stuck on the key lime pie but those of us who get it, like Erk. Yes, that was the joke. Arrow in brain=funny sensory input. The point is valid, I've gotten every joke in here, either immediately, or with a little thought. Yes, I played Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics, and all the other old games that inspired Erfworld, and that helps. If you don't get it, ask. Stop bitching at the writer for not doing it himself, it's not that the jokes are bad, it's just -you- don't get it.

EDIT: Though you should be beaten unmercifully for the Jar Jar reference. ;)
    Last edited by InfernalistGame; 2007-02-01 at 05:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

And one more thing...stop complaining that he isn't explaining setting or plot more at this point. Gods, you're like my ex-girlfriend, giving me no end of headache through a movie because she doesn't get the big thing in the first ten minutes. Sit down, shut up, watch the whole thing, and get it yourself, and you'll enjoy it alot more. And don't be in a movie theater with me if Silent Hill 2 ever gets made...I'll just -snap-.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Hear hear. But if you snap during SH2, just kill them quietly so the rest of us can hear the movie, okay?
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    I don't know what you're trying to imply about your audience, but I don't think I like it.
    "Do you have a headache spell?"
    "Yes! Or... To cure one? No. If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Explanations? Don't hold your breath...

Proud to be an ErfWorld Idiot. Anyone already riled about my l33t u/n please stop reading now - I've been judged already and you can't/won't hear me, so let me not waste any more of your time...

Anyone left, then Hi! Maybe it'd help to know I only learnt the word l33t this evening on the O RLY? thread, because I thought it would be fun to understand why this got people so het up (I had to look up P3wned, but worked out OMGWTFBBQ on my own and laughed like a drain). The u/n has a long (but boring) history. Think of me as suffering from u/nsclerosis if that helps.

Reading the forums has been a real education in the depth of the strip and/or the effect of over analysis. I love the fact that it's straight out of left field, but has it's own quirky self-consistency.

I'm not sure it matters much if you don't get _all_ the jokes. I puzzled for hours over the FREE-DEEP thing, but in the end I'm not sure how much difference it made that I thought perhaps it was Ansom's bed-springs (the stopping one of those "Can you hear someone moving outside?" moments). Once I saw the clarification from Pclips, it was just different, that's all.

I love the pop culture references because, being so out of touch, I know there's going to be many more I miss than get, but coupled with the forums it adds something that no other strip I read has. Replayability. Read it. Read a thread and discover something you missed. Re-read it. Repeat lots.

The TRON reference was brilliant. The "Plot!" sound effect hilarious. Cloth Golems - genius. It reminds me of every wargame I ever played when we had to use utterly inappropriate objects as stand-ins.

I love the "cyberpunk" mode of non-explanation. We get dropped into a world with very different rules (literally!) and are expected to cope while little by little the pieces of the jigsaw are assembled. "Please engage brain - you _will_ be tested." Yum!

I'm completely hooked on both style and substance and will sign up for the dead-tree version the day pre-orders open. Meanwhile I look forward to every episode with anticipation.

Great sandbox guys. Many Many Thanks.

Simon*
    Hate me for the right reasons.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    ::laughs:: No, not the Jar Jar Binks effect. I think though that part of the reason that episodes I-III weren't as good as IV-VI was due to the lack of a sympathetic character (like Han, or now, Parson). With Erfworld, we have both strangeness and empathy, and it's wonderful.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to read every strip as it is released.
    Last edited by Raveler1; 2007-02-02 at 06:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raveler1 View Post
    ::laughs:: No, not the Jar Jar Binks effect. I think though that part of the reason that episodes I-III weren't as good as IV-VI was due to the lack of a sympathetic character (like Han, or now, Parson). With Erfworld, we have both strangeness and empathy, and it's wonderful.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to read every strip as it is released.
    I've said this elsewhere, I'd like to mention it here... Anakin is the Han Solo and the Luke of the story, both questioning, and awakening to a greater duty... Jar Jar is a rubber C-3PO. Pure comedy relief.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

c3p0: annoying but funny. Jar-jar: pandering to two year olds.

/sigh

but we're straying off-topic
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InfernalistGame View Post
    I've said this elsewhere, I'd like to mention it here... Anakin is the Han Solo and the Luke of the story, both questioning, and awakening to a greater duty...
    ...and whiney

"But I was going to go to Toshe Station to pick up some power converterrrrs"
    "But I was supposed to be the most powerful Jedi everrrr"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    ...and whiney

"But I was going to go to Toshe Station to pick up some power converterrrrs"
    "But I was supposed to be the most powerful Jedi everrrr"
    You are surprised? Like father like son. Kinda makes it more impressive that Luke didn't fall.

Duncan by Abardam, Spike by Quincunx

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

could key lime pie have come from Kingdom of Loathing?
    *sketched banjthulhu*