New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCV: I am (Finally) Become Pancakes!

Last edited by Dalinale; 2016-09-02 at 09:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

My opinions on Season 6 neatly boiled down into an animated nanalysis!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ohh, steady on, chaps; that was almost an actual analysis as opposed to a parody of one...!

Personally, I liked that episode, but again, Spike fan, which biases me (in the same way I can enjoy the SW prequels on account of haviong the perspective of of an Imperial Loyalist).

I will definitely agree though (albiet often on different episodes) this season has been much patchier in quality. The highs are still high, but the median has been... mediocre (for pony).

So, I started watching W.i.t.c.h. again. Been a while since I last watched it and I wondered if it still held up.

Yeah, yeah it does; and this is only season one (season two was where it really shone). Actually, it a some of ways, it sort of has some elements in common with pony (albiet the adventure episodes).

Really, I think the biggest critism I can lay on it is that the musical score is not composed for each episode individually (like a lot of cartoon shows - say - Pokémon - it uses and repeats themes) and what's there is only okay (Pokémon's soundtrack is generally abso-fracking-loutely awesome, of course). But that's splitting hairs a bit; I just think that maybe becaue W.i.t.c.h is otherwise so good it feels like it should have a better soundtrack (or maybe a bit more varity, that might be the problem). And all that, I imagine, came down to budgetary issues and those from it being treated like a red-headed step-child. (They never even releases the season season on DVD properly, for frack's sake. Not even sure they releases more than the first volume of season one stateside...)

Edit: (Catching up on latest Mentally Advanced -20):

How is it, after all these years, the most obvious name for evil!Celestia comes from the mouth of MA!Rainbow Dash - Nightmare Noon...?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-09-03 at 04:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

I was in an RP that went here. Wasn't all that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinale View Post
    It's got ponies, action, adventure, mystery, and harem comedy. What's not to like?

Oh, and bughorses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I think there should be a rule that if someone comments that they've recently read a fanfic that was better than a particular episode, they are obligated to post a link to that fic. Would give some of us more things to read. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I will definitely agree though (albiet often on different episodes) this season has been much patchier in quality. The highs are still high, but the median has been... mediocre (for pony).
    I'm still of the opinion that this should be the last season. End the show on the high note with the wildest best ideas and wrap it up nicely with the movie next year.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that this should be the last season. End the show on the high note with the wildest best ideas and wrap it up nicely with the movie next year.
    Agreed. Sometimes the hardest thing for a series is knowing when to stop.

The last thing we really want is for MLP:FIM to drag on like some pastel Shonen series.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    This was a surprisingly good episode. Snails was the most tolerable I've ever seen him, the expressions were amazing, particularly Pinkie Pie and...did Fluttershy just trash talk somepony?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler: Buckball Season... Wabbit Season...
    Show
    Really? None of of those Ponyville unicorns, who I assume had interest in trying to play this game, can catch a ball with a floating basket except for the easy-going Canadian-accented pony? They didn't even try very well (ducking in fear, not paying attention, making themself sick by spinning the basket). Pfft, that was just sad.

The concept of the game itself was awesome. I like that all three pony types have a role and rely on each other to make the team work. Felt like a real game for ponies. Would be a bit better if they had more players per team (maybe 6 instead of 3?) but then I'm used to sports with large teams.

Glad AJ and Dash figured out stressing out their friends was making them play terrible. It is true that some people can't handle the stress to do well at something. Snails was awesome though, really happy he got a big part. Still don't buy that Fluttershy is a talented goalie. Pinkie was a bit more reasonable. The way she bounces around can be unpredictable and distracting.

Overall... I dunno. I like the concept of the game, but didn't feel that all the characters fit. On the other hoof, the facial expressions were divine (Flutter and Pinkie breaking down on the train and yelling at their friends was pretty funny). Eh, I'll give it an average grade.

Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Major League Buckball
    Show
    Finally! A genuinely fun episode! Excellent all around; I can tell by the fact that I didn't have to mute any cringey humour parts even once. Yeah, Fluttershy and Pinkie beating Dash and AJ at sports doesn't make a whole lick of sense, but none of them had played before and frankly it was just nice to watch them having fun. The message was great too: Winning isn't worth it if it makes you miserable. Hopefully some parents who push their kids to do stuff they don't want will get the hint.

Funny facial expressions once again take centre stage of the episode. Nice to see Snails get his moment in the spot light. He's not really very interesting as a character, nor particularily funny as his one gimmick is 'being dumb', but this episode wasn't about him so really it works out better.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    This was a surprisingly good episode. Snails was the most tolerable I've ever seen him, the expressions were amazing, particularly Pinkie Pie and...did Fluttershy just trash talk somepony?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler: Major League Buckball
    Show
    Finally! A genuinely fun episode! Excellent all around; I can tell by the fact that I didn't have to mute any cringey humour parts even once. Yeah, Fluttershy and Pinkie beating Dash and AJ at sports doesn't make a whole lick of sense, but none of them had played before and frankly it was just nice to watch them having fun. The message was great too: Winning isn't worth it if it makes you miserable. Hopefully some parents who push their kids to do stuff they don't want will get the hint.

Funny facial expressions once again take centre stage of the episode. Nice to see Snails get his moment in the spot light. He's not really very interesting as a character, nor particularily funny as his one gimmick is 'being dumb', but this episode wasn't about him so really it works out better.
    Spoiler: Buckball
    Show
    I will be completely disappointed in the fandom if I don't see those expression put to use!

They were some of the most beautifully animated bits of the show ever.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Nope.

The first part was meh, the middle was "WTF am I watching, I don't even *headdesk*", and the end was back to meh

Honestly, the highlight for me was seeing Derpy and Lyra in the background. Okay, Snails did good too.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I think there should be a rule that if someone comments that they've recently read a fanfic that was better than a particular episode, they are obligated to post a link to that fic. Would give some of us more things to read. :3

I like that idea. I'd even like to extend the whole idea to simply talking about fanfics that we like.

Well considering I've pretty much stopped watching, I think it should have ended last season. I mean showing all these 'wildest best ideas' puts them competing with the entire fandom's take on it, which can be fine, if they are doing it better.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Yeah, this right here I would believe.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Bucky Balls
    Show
    won't go down as the greatest ever, or most memorable, but it was pleasant and watchable, barring a few "really?" moments with the unicorn trials.

Was most impressed they didn't just ponify a Human game though. Had a mild dread of seeing the NFL with pastel horses from the synopsis.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Show
    the middle was "WTF am I watching, I don't even *headdesk*"
    Show
    The Dash/Fluttershy training dynamic felt weird, considering that Dash only just now got into the sport, and then back in Hurricane Fluttershy Dash was very understanding despite the stakes on that event. Sports apparently bring out the worst in Dash. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I like that idea. I'd even like to extend the whole idea to simply talking about fanfics that we like.
    I'd be down for that. Though, only fics I've read lately aren't forum appropriate so... :x

I need more free time to have free time. That's honestly my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well considering I've pretty much stopped watching, I think it should have ended last season. I mean showing all these 'wildest best ideas' puts them competing with the entire fandom's take on it, which can be fine, if they are doing it better.
    This season is like... they want to do something new and awesome, but they don't want to break status quo. So the new and awesome is more "They kind of did this before and it's just okay this time."

Show
    Yeah, this right here I would believe.
    Pffftahahahahahaha!

That EXACTLY. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Buckball World Cup
    Show
    When you think about it, buckball is kinda like quidditch, just without the extra 2-player minigame in the background that completely negates the hard work of the rest of the team.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Really? None of of those Ponyville unicorns, who I assume had interest in trying to play this game, can catch a ball with a floating basket except for the easy-going Canadian-accented pony?
    Spoiler: s6e18
    Show
    I hear his voice as more of a North-Central American English accent. Think North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Yooperland.

Show

The concept of the game itself was awesome. I like that all three pony types have a role and rely on each other to make the team work. Felt like a real game for ponies. Would be a bit better if they had more players per team (maybe 6 instead of 3?) but then I'm used to sports with large teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilum View Post
    Show
    Was most impressed they didn't just ponify a Human game though. Had a mild dread of seeing the NFL with pastel horses from the synopsis.
    Show
    When you think about it, buckball is kinda like quidditch, just without the extra 2-player minigame in the background that completely negates the hard work of the rest of the team.
    Show
    Yeah, I agree. They went the Quitddich route, except this one actually makes sense as a game in-universe.

Overall, I liked the episode. I like that Dash and Applejack realized early on that they weren't the best sportsponies in the arena, even if it did take them the minimum contractually obligated amount of time to realize they were using the wrong motivations with Fluttershy and Pinkie. The ending was great, and I liked Braeburn's team's character designs, and reactions/expressions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

17. - Top - End - #47

Show
    Spoiler: American Buckball
    Show
    The fans though, I think were perfectly fine to look like human sport fans. All crazy with painted faces and big hats.

Show
    Spoiler: European Buckball
    Show
    I always hated that part about quidditch.

I wonder if that large pegasus on Braeburn's team knows Bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Show
    I hear his voice as more of a North-Central American English accent. Think North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Yooperland.
    Spoiler: GOAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
    Show
    Snails sounds a lot like a coworker I know from our Canadian office. I cannot hear that accent as anything else because of that. :3

At least it seemed he didn't do the "Eh?" thing constantly, if at all. Have to see his parts again.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

AOTRS Commander: thank you for starting the new thread and updating the list of old threads in the first post.

Spoiler: New episode
    Show
    S1 E22 Odd Bubbles Out

Wow look, there's continuity of the best sort! They take one of the better previous episodes, and continue its story returning the one-off character we've met there. They should do this more often. We get scenes with Bubbles and Danny enjoying themselves by just being friends, without doing anything special, which is exactly what I want to see from an episode. We also get my favorite villain of the series, and he's up to his usual evil. That's good, because he's appeared too few times.

The chewing gum joke was hilarious. I don't understand how that drawing instrument works: it looks like a crayon from the outside, but it turns out it's actually a felt tip pen or something with ink in it when Bubbles breaks it. Also, it turns out that Danny is actually called Donny. My mistake, I think I called him Danny last time too.

Great episode all taken together, among the better ones this season.

… Oh, you mean the MLP episode, S6 E18? Dunno, I found this one uninspired too. Nothing special in it. This season is just not doing well. It's not up to the standard of the first five seasons really. Wasn't anything really wrong with it, it's just not an episode I'll really remember. Somehow not even Pinkie Pie made this remarkable.

To improve the evening, I think I still have time to rewatch some other recent good episode. E17 "Once Upon a Townsville" will do. These writers really know how to create a very memorable one-off character, one that doesn't leave anything to my imagination to make her interesting. (Mind you, the MLP writers do as well: we won't forget Countess Coloratura even if she never appears in another episode again. That pony knows how to make an entrance.)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: Are you ready for some Buckball!
    Show

..and now she will ask what Buckball is
    (yep)

and we have our unicorn
    --gotta admit i was thinking that scenario but with Rarity
    who would of course protest that she doesn't "do" athletics

somebody call Twi. STAT!
    we have slipped into some bizarro alt universe..Dash just admitted that somepony is better than her at a competition
    universe ending in 5..4..3..

no, AJ, no..they were good cause they were relaxed and having fun

it being a childrens show i doubt we will see some good old fashioned British style buckball hooliganism..but one can hope

NOT helping AJ
    --Dash, what did i JUST tell AJ?

wow, Fluttershy REALLY wants that best face award

Whoah! Fluttershy, dial back that super trash talk there

i find that 100% believable there Snails

Bulk is not unique

VA change for Braeburn?(guess not...but dang does he sound different than previously)
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2016-09-03 at 07:18 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Show
    Wasn't anything really wrong with it, it's just not an episode I'll really remember. Somehow not even Pinkie Pie made this remarkable.
    Spoiler: Buckball!
    Show
    If anything, the art scene has totally taken to love Fluttershy's expressions from this episode. The one thing it'll probably be remembered for.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Spoiler: Are you ready for some Buckball!
    Show

i find that 100% believable there Snails

VA change for Braeburn?(guess not...but dang does he sound different than previously)
    Spoiler: Buckball 2: Buck Harder
    Show
    Snails had some crazy control there at the middle of the episode, spinning the baskets while meditating. Also after the second practice: "It's about time!"

Brae does sound a little different.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Fracking hell.

Probably the worst CK2 session yet.

Black Death arrived, as far away from me as possible, right on the left hand corjer of the map. And it made a beeline right to my Empire, mostly concentrating on my empire and not much on anyone else, aside from the Abbasids. Notably, given how AMAZINGLY fast it propogated to my lands, the rate slowed up something phenominal when it came to affecting anyone slightly north.

Spoiler
    Show

I spent the last four hours or so, fighting the game game for evry. Single, Step. Of the way. Because it did not give me ANYTHING. Not only does the Black Detah bring the whole game a SCREECHING halt (not does the supply limit drop to almost nothing, but it drops all economic out pout by 75%. BEFORE it adds depopulation modifers. So you literally cannot afford to declare war, because you can't afford to replace any casulaties. And you have scatter your retinues to the four winds, pretty much, or they will take attrition damage from just being in your home country becase again, you get a double-slap for both the Black Death inflicting an automatic penalty AND for the depopulation modifers.)

Again, the game decided - like it did with Lich - to pretty much refuse to let the hair remain unmolested; both him AND his bethrothed randomly became depressed (as my WARDS). I managed to get the off the bethrothed with carousing - but then, of course, the bloody plague had arrivedm and you can't do that while secluding away to make sure EVERYONE doesn't get plague and die.

From there is was one step forward, one step back, because if you didn't check EVERYTHING, EVERY time you did something, the game would sneak some more crap. The heir becomes a lunatic. One of the kings dies but you can't assign all the duchies to him yet. Aquitaine randomly, without any display of notice, without any wars or evern any obvious inheritance, starts acquiring duchies. If you moved the title to a different strageos, it would inexplicably acquire THOSE instead. In the end, I just gave the bloody things to Burgundy (because Aquintaine had been as war for fracking ever, so I couldn't take the kigndom). The king of a country would die, while at war and the can't assign duchies yet problem would happen. Area where retinue was standing suddenly got even less supply eading to attrition. Revolt.

Fix any of those problems, and one more would have occurred in the brief time in which you weren't baby-sitting every single aspect.

I managed just about to get to January of five years.

EXTREMLY frustrating. In all that time, the game did not give me ONE single solitary positive event, it was justy a litany of "screw you Bleakbane" event the entire time.

This better damn well be a good episode of pony or I'm going to be really narked. (And from the spoiler box titles, in involves sport of some form, which REALLY does not encourage me.)

Edit:
    Show
    Okay, that wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The amusing novelty of Pinkie and Fluttershy kicking AJ and Rd at a physical endevour went some way to carry the premise.

Was slightly above the average of this season, but not especially good.

High point was Snails. (Never thought I'd say that...)

Towards the middle there, I was thinking it was going down a very predicatably route... But it just barely avoided the worst cliches by having them breakdown on the train and RD and AJ FINALLY realise what fracking idiots they were being.

Why ANYONE ever bothers with trying to wrack up the tension for sports in shows, I don't know, since they ALWAYS use the "win by one point/goals/whatever at the last minute" thing. Now, I don't watch sports myself, but I'm pretty sure that's not a thing that happens with regularity. Would it kill anone to actually write a win with a different margin. Y'know, just for some fracking variety? And lack of UTTEr predictability? Especially since in this sort of case, the actual match wa more or less not even any kind of importance?

Edit edit: Ponythrad responces...

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah. I was expecting foooball (either version) with the serial numbers filed off.

Show
    Overall... I dunno. I like the concept of the game, but didn't feel that all the characters fit. On the other hoof, the facial expressions were divine (Flutter and Pinkie breaking down on the train and yelling at their friends was pretty funny). Eh, I'll give it an average grade.
    Show
    Nope.

The first part was meh, the middle was "WTF am I watching, I don't even *headdesk*", and the end was back to meh

Honestly, the highlight for me was seeing Derpy and Lyra in the background. Okay, Snails did good too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concur. While I think the production values and character bits (e.g. Flutters blowing up on RD and AJ) elevated it very slightly above the average level of this season, it wasn't a good pony episode (but in it's defence, it was't a truly bad one, either.)

AOTRS Commander: thank you for starting the new thread and updating the list of old threads in the first post.
    *tips helmet*

Show
    S1 E22 Odd Bubbles Out
    At some point, I need to actually catch an episode of newPPG, but it's never on at a time when I'm in the room...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-09-04 at 06:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    My thoughts as I watched this one:
    Bionic Woman sound effect... Nice.
    I see that the sport needs one member of each race; that makes more sense on how unicorn one group doesn't dominate the sport like I've thought.
    Why are you looking askance at Pinkie for saying she left her unicorn costume at home? You know she has a Fluttershy costume,
    What's with Pinkie's 'do? It looks like she's trying to be Minne and Leia at the same time...
    I get the Earth Pony and Pegasus job, but the need for unicorns escapes me; are the extra buckets viable way to get a point? If so, why aren't they guarded?
    Fluttershy has a spindash defense? That's odd...
    I still stick with my previous statement; Snails seems to be able to tap Ranma's skill set due to the shared voice actor.
    While I'm still not sold on "Pinkie and Fluttershy are great athletes", Rainbow and Applejack are showing their character development; If this was, say Season 2 or so, they would have problems letting someone else take their spot.
    "Uncredible" isn't Pinkie best turn of phrase...
    "We're going to have to get serious"; do I smell a musical number and/or montage?
    Dash, you should know better than to pressure Fluttershy...
    Snails in a lotus position is only making my claim stronger...
    Pinkie- You have 4th wall powers... how did you not know you were tempting fate?
    I like the painted ponies as sports fans; though I don't know why Lyra's so into it; they don't even have hands...
    Fluttershy, I get that you're feeling pressured. You don't need to go all Opposite Fluttershy about it...
    Clearly after all this time, the ponies are learning; we got all the "friendship report"-style message done by the 2/3rds mark.
    Bravo, Fluttershy and Pinkie. Telling them you're not hiding in the luggage compartment will surely work!
    Actually good plan pla AJ and dash on how to get them back in the game.
    Wow. Sick burn 'shy. I'm sure that that'll teach AJ and Dash, boy howdie. /sarcasm
    I think pegasus on Braeburn's team is Bulk Biceps' cousin or something...

Final thoughts: It was a pretty good episode. Buckballl as a sport makes no gorram sense. I STILL don't know why they needed a unicorn, let alone one of Snails' apparent skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    sorry about being late but managed to watch it.
    It reminded me of what happens to trophy kids and bring pushed to succeed.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Buckball:

Spoiler
    Show
    Fluttershy cheats using her hair extensions.

Pinkie Pie continues to prove she might be a distant Apple.

Snails is...um...fast?

This game seems way too simple and way to easy for defense.

Aaand I see what kind of lesson this is gonna turn out to be.

Well, that Snails pose was very...Zenyatta-esque. Want crossover.

Hey wait, where's Snips to cheer on his friend?

D...D...Did Fluttershy...just...smack-talk? Wh...what?

Eh, close enough.

Well, adding Snails to the cast for this episode was brilliant. I'm not sure if his attitude is too over the top, but it was funny nonetheless. Seeing Fluttershy, well, enjoy something, is also nice. It was ok. Nice that Rainbow Dash and AJ figured it out for themselves, though making Pinkie Pie legitimately cry is probably the point where you know yo udun goofed.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile in Rule 63 Equestria...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619
    Show
    I see that the sport needs one member of each race; that makes more sense on how unicorn one group doesn't dominate the sport like I've thought.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Funny thing there on a rewatch - AJ says something like "Braeburn's persuaded a pegasus and a unicorn to appear on his team" like it's a massive advantage for him and almost unsporting (albeit legal). Unless it's just an obscure game the Apples know a lot about and few others do.

Quote Originally Posted by digiman again
    Spoiler
    Show
    I get the Earth Pony and Pegasus job, but the need for unicorns escapes me; are the extra buckets viable way to get a point? If so, why aren't they guarded?

Final thoughts: It was a pretty good episode. Buckballl as a sport makes no gorram sense. I STILL don't know why they needed a unicorn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the game is at least capable of being played single-race and keep it at earth ponies for now: the 'bucketeer' runs around the outside of the ring with the bucket trying to catch balls from the 'bucker'. Unicorns would work best here as they obviously don't have to worry about bodily momentum and can get the bucket up higher than a pony can jump for when the bucker just hoofs it (sorry). Which brings us nicely to needing a pegasus for defence.

I assume the raised baskets are there for either training or a much simpler two-a-side version.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I liked this one! All the notes worked and I appreciated how Rainbow and Applejack didn't get jealous when they realized Pinkie and Fluttershy were better. They just seamlessly swallowed their pride and handed the position over, which was an enlightened move that contrasted with their later mistake.

Fluttershy's tail tricks were also really cute.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-09-04 at 06:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Buckball!
    Show

What a fun episode. I really liked that one. Production values and animation continues to be excellent. Those faces, damn.
    Some thoughts:

+ Going from "What's buckball?" to "I'm the expert" in 10 seconds flat. Heh, typical RD.
    + Game looks interesting. At first I thought unicorns were just in it for inclusivity's sake. But then I got it: Earth ponies have to buck strongly and around agile pegasi. The unicorns need to be able to anticipate the bucks and feints.
    + But where to find a unicorn? Rarity won't play something uncouth and Twilight is a nerd.
    + 'The Princess may play as long as she uses only waterbending'. Oops, wrong sport.
    + I can understand Pinkie being a natural. Fast reflexes + Pinkie Sense + great balance. Fluttershy, on the other hoof.. Maybe her protective instinct? Or pure luck?
    + Anyway, I really love those sport episodes. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash work great together.
    + No, silly ponies. don't pressure them.
    + Hey, it's Lyra! with facepaint, too. Keeps in character for her to be very enthusiastic about sports and competitions. At least that's how I think of her.
    (I remember her being excited at every competition on the show. And wasn't she a swimming judge at some point in an AJ episode?)
    + At least they got it before the game. And AJ's plan was clever. (Did she just let Pinkie hit the ball that time?)
    + Ruffled looking ponies are best ponies.

Overall, great episode: A chuckle every line, there's always something fun happening on screen, and all ponies were very well characterised. Also, great animations - Every single scene with Fluttershy was pure joy.
    Special mention to: Snails. For being necessary, fun, and having the best visual gag of meditating with those baskets.

6/5 apples, would watch again.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    What's with Pinkie's 'do? It looks like she's trying to be Minne and Leia at the same time...
    Spoiler: S6 E18
    Show
    We've seen her with that hair at least once. She wore it in S5 E21 with her roller skater costume.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: New Ep
    Show

Well, somewhat above average. Nothing to make the episode great, but enough bits and pieces to keep it from nosediving. Snails was good in it, which surprised me.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee