New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1455
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE3! I - A Community World-Building Game

If I might make a suggestion, you could treat the different groups you had planned as occupants of different areas of the penninsula =/ All of you would gain claim to it in fluff and it would encourage conflict IC rather than OOC. It's not like regions are all one giant mass of like-minded drones (unless you're the Sunlands, Primus or Sycia; I really need to work on that), there's gonna be different groups in conflict over various ideas. Whoever ends up conquering the place gets to treat their idea as 'the truth' for as long as they hold it.

Maybe?
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Good old Sunset War. There's a reason it almost killed the game.
    Sort of unrelated, but thanks to whoever maintains the wiki for the first game. It was cool to read about the war. And my own part in it, which I had completely forgotten about.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Maybe the outpost is now being used by your kingdom for whatever reason? Barracks, mail carrier, spa, 'museum of people we trounced'?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Perhaps something to consider is that instead of an actual governance over the region the Sheol could have had control of Trade Posts (or Religious Centers) in the region. Maybe they'd been taken by a Raid or something and we're opposed by those trying to claim the whole region. Inflating a fort of troops protecting grain shipments as rightful protectors of a region would be par for the course in medieval politics.
    I'm not opposed to finding ways or deals regarding fluff and how this is handled, if Dark is. And Aed is willing to approve it. Just don't know how much time we have left in this round to work that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I mean, I get that, but here is where we run into the odd reality of Unclaimed Regions from a rules perspective. You and I both stated claims to 21 in the first turn, and I have no doubt you had ideas for a writeup that would tie the region more closely to the Phoenix Estates. The lack of a cataclysmic event in the shared past of this Empire game totally supports fluff, non-mechanical claims. But that peninsula is one of the most central targets of opportunity when it comes to expansion, and I have no doubt you, Tychris, and I all had different ideas for its nature and history when we set our sights on it. That's why I intentionally avoided expressing specifics before it was conquered - trying to set concrete definitions for a region before I had editorial authority would have been silly, and was something I learned not to do very quickly in the first Empire. I can sympathize with this throwing a wrench into your plans, and I'm not going to be a jerk and place a bunch of inimical barbarian tribes to your south or anything like that, but at the end of the day it's my territory and my plans for it are going to take precedence.
    For one, no. Just like I planned for Region 1 to be a mixed culture, I planned for 21 to be a mix of the regions that surround it. Though for the record, my capital is on the border, so a good chuck of 21 is closer to the giant behemoth city than Shanadeer is.

My issue is that you and Murgen planned fluff for this, when Murgen is one of the players who IC knows of the Estates claim (which feels planned, given his IC reaction). My issue is that you are invalidating my claims to the region by shoehorning in fluff that it was a possession of yours recently. My issue is you knew I was contesting it, and that it borders my capital, but you choose not to consult me before you drastically changed the neighborhood of my region.

Feels a bit like you are trying to fluff your self a stringer position.

Just because you can do it, Dark, does not make it right. I don't think it is cool of you to use the fact that you moved on it first as the excuse to fluff yourself a better claim to the region. I have no issue with Sheol influence in the region, I have a big issue with you making it so recent as to strengthen your claims.

EDIT: Where did you state a claim to 21 in the first round?
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2017-02-11 at 02:51 AM.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Aed, my actions have been updated.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

6. - Top - End - #1296

Legionary, I was just wondering, is the actual full title of Slavia: 'The Cursed Duchy of Slavia?' As that kinda gives it away...
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I have noticed that a few people have been noting that Isabella looked exactly the same at the Fox Hunt as if it is something clearly noticeable or suspicious. This isn't the case and frankly it would be absurd for the current parties to believe that there is something bizarre about her age (her mannerisms are still bizarre and typical of Slavian rudeness though). I feel that there is a bit too much meta knowledge going on.

Firstly, she is a woman ambiguously in her late twenties. People don't change so drastically from say 27 to 33, that people believe something supernatural is going on if they still look very similar. Below are two pictures of the woman that Isabella's looks are based off each taken six years apart. Can you honestly tell me that because she has age little and very well at this point in her life that it is a cause for alarm or suspicion?
    Spoiler
    Show

Likewise, everyone at this meeting has only seen her one other time briefly at a distance six years ago. Is your memory really that great that you can honestly remember intricately someone that you met six years ago and think wow that is too similar to what they looked like before? At best you remember someone's vague likeness.

Finally, at both events she was wearing a veil like the one below, muting much of the detail on her facial features.

I don't mind people being suspicious of the Von Orloks. They are intentionally written to be weird and have an ill reputation. But this current age thing is just not a reason for intrigue without stretching for a meta excuse. If I was using Isabella again in a meeting 15 years from now and she still looked the same people might think that it was bizarre. Or if they saw her more than briefly in two incidences six years apart, and say instead frequently over the course several years that would trigger some suspicion.

I'm going to use whatever level of fiat I have in this situation to outright say that these few characters would have no cause for alarm or suspicion about Isabella's age. That's not to say they don't find the Von Orloks weird in other ways and still dislike them. And there maybe actual clues or slip ups in the future, but this is frankly not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentreto View Post
    Legionary, I was just wondering, is the actual full title of Slavia: 'The Cursed Duchy of Slavia?' As that kinda gives it away...
    Yes and no. Officially it is "The Duchy of Slavia". That's what Slavians call it, that's how it is addressed formally and that's what most foreigners whom have only seen it on a map know it as. Those people and nations unfortunate enough to be Slavia's neighbours though refer to it as "The Cursed Duchy of Slavia".

Also it really doesn't give away anything. The fact that the Von Orlok family in particular are vampires is a secret. The fact that Slavia is a haunted sh*thole is not. Hell, vampires aren't even the most dangerous thing in Slavia nor are they behind what frequently ails it. The place is infested with savage beastmen, ghouls, ghosts, witches, werewolves, giant winged beasts and other gothic monstrosities. There are even plenty of people there that whilst not supernatural are incredibly dickish. In my description of my nation I noted that the Slavian serfs suspect that probably a third of their nobility are vampires, though it's hard to tell them apart because all aristocracy are brutal bloodsucking parasites, the only difference is that for some it is metaphorical and others literal. The Slavian serfs don't care because they can't really do anything about it, it does really affect them too much and there are plenty of other worse things out there in the night to genuinely worry about instead. Slavia is essentially how Hollywood sees Transylvania in fiction, but ten times worse and mixed with the darkest aspects of feudalism and medieval religious extremism. Remember that even though the Von Orlok only pay lip service, on average Slavians are typically genuinely if not extremely pious in a dark kind of way (i.e. frequent fanaticism, plenty of zealots and a love of witch burning).
    Last edited by Legionary; 2017-02-11 at 12:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well played...

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry to anyone who's needed me around this past round, I've been pretty ill and haven't been able to muster the energy for Empire stuff, or indeed most kinds of stuff.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Barbarian in the Playground

If your player name is Lleban, this is an important post for you! Otherwise, please review this region for posting Aed!

Region 4 - Plains of Cas Verrole

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

Inland from the coast lies an expanse of territory dominated by shallow plains and trees. The untamed wilderness lies where previously uncharted lands once existed, only mapped out and colonized first by the scouts of people of Baalbek. What they discovered was an abnormally bleak landscape, featuring a small lake around the west side of the region and the main bulk of the forest existing around it. Further west where there are no bodies of water the land is more rocky, jutting up in small spikes from the ground often about the height of ten feet. Though the soil would be fit for growing, the lack of water has rendered it dry and mostly unusable without the aid of a well. Only to the far north corners of the region do larger hills form, ending with a single mountain over in the north-west. It is not particularly tall or impressive, but hosts a fair amount of trees along its slopes.

The people of Baalbek made no claim to own the lands nor the trees they chopped to ship back to their homeland; and that lack of a claim prevented many of their people from being harmed when the Selorian guard arrived to lay claim to the not-so-fertile land. Maps were negotiated for a fair sum and information on the region stolen from their humble foresting camps, granting the realization that the area was totally undefended. Thus the discovery was quick, and work could be set out much faster and more confidently than it could have been should they have taken the time to chart it themselves.

By chance when the region was being rediscovered by the Selorians, the scouts elected to make shelter in a cave rather than their tents. This cave connected to a small network beneath with at least 6 other reported entrances that all lead to a single domed cavern of massive size. The whole thing appears to be unkempt, with strings of moss and stalagmites hanging from the ceiling. On the walls bear marking like the scars left by a blade against skin; deep, thin, and piercing. There was no sign of life in the cave except for a collection of easily exterminated bats, and it has since received the name of the “Hallow Caverns.”

Wildlife in the region includes a small sum of deer that gather around the lake, a couple packs of wolves that help to keep their numbers thin, and a large collection of wild rabbit, horses and boar who prowl the more open land to the east. None of these animals are very open to human contact, and strive to hide in smaller packs when possible.

Spoiler: Culture
    Show

As far as a culture goes, it is hard to attribute much to a lonely lumber outpost in the woods. Before the colonization of Seloris in 1025, such an outpost was all that stood of civilization on the empty frontier. Life there was simple and traditional of the Baali people. Make much of little - And strive to please the god of harvest. Their small village was a calm one, not enough time given to its development for even a single generation to pass. However, since the days the two thousand men with steel in hand entered the area things had begun rapid change.

The first settlement by the Selorians was an extension of that of the Baali, the people who had set up the trade post in the region. So long as they complacently accepted their new Baron then they would be free to continue as they were. Others would be forced to leave or killed upon refusal. The captain of the outpost was told to return to his land and inform their leader that the land was under the rule of Lord Vaerin now, and that if he wished for his exports to continue peacefully that they would receive a large portion of the profits or something would be traded back in return.

With the captain gone, rule of the region was transferred to the leader of the Savvran gang by the name of Lady Lessaki the ‘Strategist,’ known across the Barony for their militant style and structure. While a great house for her was constructed, work begun immediately on watchtowers and fortifications around the village so that the few who inhabited the village of Savras (named by the Savvran gang) would not be caught unaware by any threat.

Those loyal to the Savvran gang would soon move into the region, bringing trade, feuds, and labour with them. Over the next years the village blossomed in record speed, becoming a haven for the diligent and ruthless followers of Lady Lessaki. A rule was made soon after the formation of the village that restricted the Balli from taking up any form of arms.

Because the region is under Selorian rule, Selorian laws and punishment are given. The code is very strict in the area. The Balli are natives to Baalbek who moved to pursue trade. They have dark skin, olive hair and hazel eyes. Selorians by contrast have olive skin tones and dark hair. The ratio of the Balli to Selorians is around 1:4, effectively rendering the culture to mimic that of Seloris but with additional racial tensions.

Spoiler: Faith and Trade
    Show

Wood [Minor] Is one of few immediately harvestable resources in Cas Verrole, surrounding the lake to the west of the region. The wood trade was first set up by the Balli people, who use axes and saws to make the most of the forests while still planting more for seasons to come.

Food, particularly non game meat is quite desirable across the area. With a lack of growing room beyond the soil surrounding the lake, fruits and things need to be imported to satisfy a complete healthy diet. Without that balance sickness and weakness tends to spread, creating unrest.

Trade Post One: Baalbek
    Trade Post Two: Closed
    Trade Post Three: Closed

With less secure borders around Cas Verrole than Aerok, those who would preach might find themselves more at home than the cynical capital of Seloris. This tolerance has generally lead to the more devout peoples arriving in the colony, setting up several temples of Shishiyan faith. By contrast, the Balli people have roots in their own native faith with the two gods (Water and Harvest) that they brought over to the eastern world. The faith is tolerated, though discouraged by the government of the region.

Holy Center one: Shishiyan
    Holy Center two: Shishiyan
    Holy center three: Baali Religion
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2017-02-11 at 03:28 PM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I might be interested in joining, though I most likely will not be able to start really working on a region for at least a few days.

I get the impression that if the borders of the map are pushed out to make space for me (which it sounds like is what would happen?), then I would be outside of the old empire, or at least on its distant fringe. And probably also outside the area where Shishiyanism is strong. In that case I would probably go for an "uncivilized" tribal culture (the Mongols to Celessa's Europe, roughly speaking). Probably following a distant branch of the Shishiyan/Kunist/Sarvochist family of religions. I'm thinking perhaps they interpret the dualism not as a good force versus an evil force, but as two opposite and opposed forces with neither inherently good or evil.

Of course, since that is just vague first ideas I am completely open to criticism.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Reflecting this change, my actions have been updated as well.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #1303

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The resource and religion sections are fine. The terrain and people sections are a little thin, and while I appreciate that you've already written some extensive stuff on the Bearmen which can be copy-pasted over (although directly into the text would be preferable to quotes) it would be nice to have some more region-specific stuff. In other words, try to use the fact that many of the details of the Bearmen have already been established as a reason to go into more detail about this region's population, rather than a reason to skimp on it. So a bit more in both those sections would be appreciated.
    I think that I have made the appropriate amendments to my region write-up...

"Region for approval.

Qladbishshe
    Region 13

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show

Qladbishshe is largely full of an ancient charred forest. Very little grows in the forest, and many of the burnt trees have the natural, or sometimes unnatural appearance of being splattered with blood. The region is vary sparsely populated, with the largest settlement being a small town at the center of the region, containing a population hardly over twenty thousand. The town is known as Qladbishshe and encircles the Graveyard of Qlans. The Graveyard of Qlans is a massive graveyard that contains the graves of the ancient Bearmen Qlans of Septius, Noveqtius and members of Deseqtius, who died in the Septius Affair, nearly five hundred years ago. Many of the graves contain little more than the skeletons of the Bearmen to which they are entitled. Over fifty thousand graves are in the Graveyard, at which the Bearmen of Qladbishshe pray.
    Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown
    As an example, Septius, the only cannibalistic Qlan ate all members of Noveqtius, and Deseqtus in retaliation raided Septius, killing every last one of their people, and burned their houses.
    The burnt houses still remain on the outskirts of the village and many of them have not been touched for centuries.

Spoiler: People
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Icilia
    Highlanders, the people native to West Mi'vara, are a tall, broad and dark skinned people. They tend to favour horse hide clothing and generally living a nomadic life, following their herds around Mi'vara.
    In the Land of Bearmen, Highlanders are referred to as Highmen, although there culture is approximately the same as in Mi’vara, but adapted to the colder climate. Highmen are very common in Qladbishshe, making up approximately half of the population.
    The other half of the population is approximately two thirds Strongmen, and one third shortmen.
    Strongmen range from seven to eight feet tall in adulthood. Strongmen are genetically very muscular, with arms the size of legs, and legs even larger than that. Strongmen make up most of the workforce in construction and in combat. They are always exercising to gain more muscles, eating to furnish their intense training, or sleeping to recover after a training intensive day. Strongmen typically do not bother raising horses, as most of them would die under a Strongmen's weight, and Strongmen instead pull carts on their own.
    shortmen are on average four to five feet tall in adulthood, and weigh very little. shortmen typically become hunters or diplomats. shortmen diplomats make up the majority of chiefs, but that is not to say that Strongmen or Highmen do not ever become chiefs.
    shortmen names are often longer, to make up for their small size, Strongmen names are shorter, giving them a less intelligent appearance and Highmen names often include vocal clicks in their names.
    A general term to refer to the three races as a whole is Bearmen.
    In the beginning, there were eighteen Qlans in Land of Bearmen, although some of them have died out, or have migrated to other regions and have disappeared for the time being. As an example, Septius, the only cannibalistic Qlan ate all members of Noveqtius, and Deseqtus in retaliation raided Septius, killing every last one of their people, and burned their houses.
    The original Bearmen Qlans were Sagittarius, Ares, Virgo, Pisqes, Apeljus, Qapriqorn, Septius, Oqtius, Noveqtius, Deseqtus, Aqwarius, Tauros, Gemini, Qanser, Leo, Libra, Sqorpio, Maqsimus.

Only the Qlan of Deseqtus remains in Qladbishshe today, as the other two Qlans that used to exist in Qladbishshe died out. The Qlan of Deseqtus lives in a small village, know as Qladbishshe. The village is run by a shortmen named Starodubsteva. Her ancestors gained the trust of the Qlan of Deseqtus hundreds of years ago, after the Septius Affair. They have ruled over the village of Qladbishshe ever since.
    The village of Qladbishshe is small, but contains the majority of the population of the region. Although the region's primary exports are musical instruments, the people enjoy blueberries as their primary cultural food. The blueberries that grow in Qladbishshe grow in the more habitable regions of the Dead Forest, or from the graves of the Ancient Qlans. The blueberries that grow from the graveyard are considered sacred and are only harvested on holy days.

Contrary to the other Bearmen of the world, the majority of the musicians of Qladbishshe play instruments of southern design. Their violins, violas, viols, violoncellos and basses are either purchased from the legendary luthier named Testifonte Tavolacci, or made to imitate his spotless works. Although the imitations are usually of decent quality, the musicians of Qladbishshe tend to create a division between themselves: the skilled players use the Tavolacci instruments, while the novice players use the mock instruments.

Bearmen commonly live in two primary types of homes, although they also live in ordinary log cabins, huts, and occasionally multiple story buildings. Bearmen also have storage buildings and temporary shelters for preserving objects, which they do not live in.
    Known as Mudhauses, the first kind is dug into a hole, with mud crafted to form a roof for the house. These houses typically have a fireplace, whether powered by coal, in the center of their circular rooms, rarely have more than two rooms, and most commonly have only one room. The people who live in Mudhauses sleep, eat and cook around the central fire, but store their caught meat underground, outside of their house. The other form of house, the Logoqabin, is made like a long log cabin. The Logoqabin has one large room, divided into sections along its length, The first section is typically a sitting area, for resting after a long day of working. This is also where Bearmen keep their beds. The next section of a Logoqabin is a place for eating, with long tables surrounding an oven or a stove used for cooking. The next section is a training zone for all kinds of Bearmen. There are 300 pound weights of stone, punching bags and sparing rings for Strongmen, crossbow firing ranges for shortmen, and horse riding rings for the Highmen. Overall, Logoqabins can be over five hundred feet long.
    Qigluses are not found in Qladbishshe, as there is no snow to make them.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show

Instruments.
    Qladbishshe is home to two of the greatest instrument researchers and/or creators in all of Celessa.

Tesifonte Tavolacci: Tesifonte Tavolacci is a luthier who moved to Qladbishshe nearly fifty years ago from the south. He moved to the seemingly dead and burnt region to bring music to the somber area. Upon close investigation of the charred trees, Tesifonte Tavolacci found that at the core of the charred trees of Qladbishshe was excellent, unharmed wood for the construction of the musical instruments that Tavolacci specializes in. Tavolacci makes what some consider to be the continent's best violins, violas, viols, violoncellos and basses.

Minin Yefrem Maximovish: Minin Yefrem Maximovich is a Bearmen archaeologist, who performs digs on ancient tombs found in the far north, along the Winter Coast. He searches the ancient tombs and removes from them, the ancient instruments that where buried with the ancient warlords or barbarian kings of the north. He studies their composition and recreates them, with modern day equivalents of the materials used in their creation.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show

The people of Qladbishshe are primarily worshipers of the Shishiyan religion, although in the north, a small group of tomb raiders worship the ancient corpses of the barbarian kings and the warlords that were buried there.

The Shishiyan Temple of Qladbishshe.
    Shishiyan
    On a weekly basis, the Shishiyan worshipers of Qladbishshe come together at a temple outside of the Qladbishshe Graveyard, where they go out into the moonlight, to pray for each of the graves in the graveyard. The interior of the circular temple is filled with statues of the Chosen throughout the ages, at which the people of Qladbishshe leave food offerings.

The Tomb of the Ancient Barbarian King.
    Pagan
    A small group of tomb raiders in the north of the region of Qladbishshe have discovered an especially large tomb, in which the richest ancient northern bandit king was buried. The group of about one thousand tomb raiders pray to the ancient bandit king in this tomb, leaving their gold at his rotting feet. The tomb raiders also protect the tomb viciously, not letting anyone come near to the tomb.

The Church of Noveqtius.
    Empty
    The Church of Noveqtius is a gothic church that has been empty since the Septius affair, almost five hundred years ago. See People and/or Terrain for more detail on the matter. The church was the only building that was not torched at the end of the matter, but no one dares go near it, out of superstition. It is believed that the church is haunted by the ancient souls of the Qlan of Septius.
    "

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    3. Appoint Anselm Letzte as Lord-General of the Royal Guardsmen. [Military 5] Roll.
    4. Move to oppose the Medved armies in region 53 with the 5000 men available, led by Lord-General Letzte (Mil Score: 9). [Military]
    Since when can you use the general that you raise on the same turn as you take the action to do so?
    Last edited by DimpleLoamsdown; 2017-02-11 at 06:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry to anyone who's needed me around this past round, I've been pretty ill and haven't been able to muster the energy for Empire stuff, or indeed most kinds of stuff.
    I hope you feel better soon. =)
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

I hope you're feeling a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    I might be interested in joining, though I most likely will not be able to start really working on a region for at least a few days.

I get the impression that if the borders of the map are pushed out to make space for me (which it sounds like is what would happen?), then I would be outside of the old empire, or at least on its distant fringe. And probably also outside the area where Shishiyanism is strong. In that case I would probably go for an "uncivilized" tribal culture (the Mongols to Celessa's Europe, roughly speaking). Probably following a distant branch of the Shishiyan/Kunist/Sarvochist family of religions. I'm thinking perhaps they interpret the dualism not as a good force versus an evil force, but as two opposite and opposed forces with neither inherently good or evil.

Of course, since that is just vague first ideas I am completely open to criticism.
    So while the map has those rather definite black edges to it I imagine there is a degree of awareness that there are things beyond the frontier, and in the past contact with these regions might have been greater. It's a difficult balance to strike between keeping that space sufficiently undefined that new players can claim it without prejudice and having it be some kind of Great Unknown. I figure that the current map represents roughly the current reaches of the Church's active presence (including a couple of regions where the Church is not particularly prominent but for geographical reasons are included, mostly in the south). This likely largely corresponds with the empire of Vajetamahar, but there are probably some regions which that empire did not include which are now familiar (similarly to how the Han empire didn't include Mongolia, and the Roman empire didn't include most of Germany, but these became important regions to their successor cultures in the Middle Ages). And equally there are almost certainly regions, especially to the west, which were once part of that empire or its forebears but during the "dark ages" have fallen off the map. Some of the regions towards the west of the current map were probably also in ancient antiquity possessions of empires with their heartlands further to the west.

This is all ancient history, of course, with relatively little contemporary political relevance, but if there's a shared cultural history or mythology or legends concerning things that were once lost and are now found that could be their successors. The ten lost tribes of Israel are an obvious example; you also have the various lost legions of Rome and Persia, peoples that claim a heritage from far distant kingdoms now lost (Rome/Troy), persistent legends of Prester John, and so on.

So I think it would be appropriate for a new region to have some knowledge of the Shishiyan church, or to have its own variant on that religion that's fallen to extinction elsewhere, or a variety of Kunism (possibly with some differences to others elsewhere on the map?), or some other "Exaltedist" religion otherwise unknown, or its own pagan religion, or some foreign religion which originates somewhere else entirely. I think there's enough room to do pretty much whatever you want, and as with all things the kicker is mostly in the execution rather than the concept.

I assume you'd want to be somewhere along the western edge of the map; do you have any preference as to latitude? There are a couple of new players asking about regions so I'll fix the new map and get that up if you let me know where you'd like to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    Since when can you use the general that you raise on the same turn as you take the action to do so?
    You can't, I'm afraid. I'll treat that as the ruler leading in person if Burch doesn't amend his actions in time.

I will take a look at the new regions tomorrow, possibly after the round opens depending how long that takes to turn round. Zayuz, Lleban, in light of the writeup and before I approve it I'm going to ask for a similar summary of how you see Baalbek's previous overseas exploration to that Dark gave for the Sheolim, for the same reasons.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would be interested in taking region 21, thinking about going with Kunism as my religion for the time being, I feel like its a good mix of the main religion and still maintains some independence for my monarchy. If thats alright, let me know and I'll get to work on some region building. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShrubbery View Post
    I would be interested in taking region 21, thinking about going with Kunism as my religion for the time being, I feel like its a good mix of the main religion and still maintains some independence for my monarchy. If thats alright, let me know and I'll get to work on some region building. Thanks!
    I have to admit I laughed, and I am sorry. Region 21 is, to put it bluntly, very unavailable at the moment.

Because the map is fairly tightly-packed with players I am expanding it to make room for new players rather than putting them in regions already on the map, so I've been asking new players to let me know roughly where around the edge of the current map they would like to be. Most of our current Kunist players are in the south, but we have some elsewhere, so you could go almost anywhere depending on what type of climate you would favour.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Haha gotcha, I think I interpreted your earlier reply wrong. I would favor a temperate climate for my empire, preferably to the north/northwest of the map.
    I have to admit I laughed, and I am sorry. Region 21 is, to put it bluntly, very unavailable at the moment.

Because the map is fairly tightly-packed with players I am expanding it to make room for new players rather than putting them in regions already on the map, so I've been asking new players to let me know roughly where around the edge of the current map they would like to be. Most of our current Kunist players are in the south, but we have some elsewhere, so you could go almost anywhere depending on what type of climate you would favour.

19. - Top - End - #1309

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShrubbery View Post
    Haha gotcha, I think I interpreted your earlier reply wrong. I would favor a temperate climate for my empire, preferably to the north/northwest of the map.
    This is getting quite crowded...

Players should be capable of playing colonies, but secretly from the rest of the world until they are discovered.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So while the map has those rather definite black edges to it I imagine there is a degree of awareness that there are things beyond the frontier, and in the past contact with these regions might have been greater. It's a difficult balance to strike between keeping that space sufficiently undefined that new players can claim it without prejudice and having it be some kind of Great Unknown. I figure that the current map represents roughly the current reaches of the Church's active presence (including a couple of regions where the Church is not particularly prominent but for geographical reasons are included, mostly in the south). This likely largely corresponds with the empire of Vajetamahar, but there are probably some regions which that empire did not include which are now familiar (similarly to how the Han empire didn't include Mongolia, and the Roman empire didn't include most of Germany, but these became important regions to their successor cultures in the Middle Ages). And equally there are almost certainly regions, especially to the west, which were once part of that empire or its forebears but during the "dark ages" have fallen off the map. Some of the regions towards the west of the current map were probably also in ancient antiquity possessions of empires with their heartlands further to the west.

This is all ancient history, of course, with relatively little contemporary political relevance, but if there's a shared cultural history or mythology or legends concerning things that were once lost and are now found that could be their successors. The ten lost tribes of Israel are an obvious example; you also have the various lost legions of Rome and Persia, peoples that claim a heritage from far distant kingdoms now lost (Rome/Troy), persistent legends of Prester John, and so on.

So I think it would be appropriate for a new region to have some knowledge of the Shishiyan church, or to have its own variant on that religion that's fallen to extinction elsewhere, or a variety of Kunism (possibly with some differences to others elsewhere on the map?), or some other "Exaltedist" religion otherwise unknown, or its own pagan religion, or some foreign religion which originates somewhere else entirely. I think there's enough room to do pretty much whatever you want, and as with all things the kicker is mostly in the execution rather than the concept.

I assume you'd want to be somewhere along the western edge of the map; do you have any preference as to latitude? There are a couple of new players asking about regions so I'll fix the new map and get that up if you let me know where you'd like to be.

That all sounds perfect for the vague ideas I had. I'm pretty flexible about where I end up, since I haven't put that much though into what I would want my region to be like anyway. So if other people joining have specific latitudes they want, they can have it and I'll just slip in wherever it makes sense. That said, if you end up needing a decision from me: somewhere around region 24's latitude looks like it could be nice. The other possibility might be to go for a bedouin or tuareg desert nomad sort of idea to the south.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    Players should be capable of playing colonies, but secretly from the rest of the world until they are discovered.
    This is not going to happen. Just to make that clear at this stage

New players! Here is the new map with the new regions. I imagined that Aventine would take 69, ShadowShrubbery 70 and Shadowz1797 71, but feel free to swap amongst yourselves. The region immediately to the east of 71 is partially revealed because it wouldn't make sense to keep it concealed, but will not be available for conquest immediately. In a round or two I will open up some other regions in the vicinity of the new ones, to give the new players a chance to get their act together before making them compete for the new regions with established players.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Awesome! 70 will work well for me

23. - Top - End - #1313

So I jump all the hoops to get a new computer just in time for my human meat hardware to start failing on me. Good times. Slapped together a round post, and made the fiction loosely mirror the meta. Maybe I'll be able to Finally have the goblin court thread up and running at the start of the new round, or maybe I'll mercifully die and it'll be the least of my concerns.

I hope everyone else had a better week, because it's disturbingly low bar to clear.
    ...with a vengeance!

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Hey DimpleLoamsdown,
    I'm reforming the Slavian army next turn and I created a few pictures to represent the new appearance of the units. I was going to include an exiled "Strongman" in the picture of what is essentially Slavia's foreign legion. However, despite your incredible detail on the Bearman Qanguage I found their physical descriptions a bit vague. I got the height of 7 to 8 feet and the fur, but I couldn't determine whether "Strongmen" were Neanderthal looking, Wookie-like or just really hairy men. Could you tell me if the picture below is some what accurate?

Spoiler
    Show
    LEGIO IX ÉTRANGÉRE

These men are grizzled veterans of dozens of battles, fighting not for faith or country but cold hard coin. They are an eclectic bunch, drawn from all corners of the known world by the promise of wealth and bloodshed. Most hail from either Aerok, Shamaran, the Shimmering Coast or the Phœnīx Demesne. However, more exotic sorts have been seen scattered among their ranks, including several bestial "Strongmen" from the far north, a hand full of goblin sappers, wandering Mi'varian rough riders, and band of hard drinking duellists and self proclaimed "warrior poets" from the isle of Ynys Y Corsydd. This cosmopolitan collection of cutthroats is lead by their paymaster, Gringus "Gold Tooth", a foul mouth gnome with a bitter napoleon complex.

LEGIO IV SLAVIA

A typical home raised Slavian legion. Legio IV was responsible for the three year occupation and subsequent pillaging of the Sunlands, hence the skeleton of the Celestial Cult priest on their banner.
    Last edited by Legionary; 2017-02-12 at 02:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

On the offchance that the relevant players see this before I close the round, the following issues in actions posts could do with attention.

Dimple, your action 1 says in one place you're using 1 unit and in another place you're using 3. I'm going to run with 1 because otherwise you don't have enough troops to complete both actions, but feel free to clarify.

Geckus, you've used a Military action to perform a raid, but raids are Intrigue actions. I will treat this as a raid and re-roll it using Intrigue unless I hear otherwise, but that means you will only get a +1 bonus to Military from this round, as you'll only have taken three Military actions. Feel free to change this to another Military action for the bonus (in which case discard the roll), or make the re-roll yourself as Intrigue.

Moos, as you changed an action you'd already rolled successfully for, and didn't change the roll (4 to 62), that takeover roll will need to be done again.

Minescratcher, your actions don't specify in what regions you are taking over the trading posts or in the second case really give any hints. I will treat your first action as referring to region 59 and your second action as referring to your own region, if I don't hear otherwise before the round ends.

Burch, as noted above, you can't use your general in the same round you promote him, so that battle will be led by your ruler. You also have a stability roll outstanding.

Tommy, you have two rolls outstanding. You will also need to take an Economy or Diplomacy action to take possession of the Baalbek trading post, if Lleban's action is to succeed.

Where rolls have not been made I will make them myself (assuming I notice) but there may be a penalty.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-02-12 at 02:40 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Moos, as you changed an action you'd already rolled successfully for, and didn't change the roll (4 to 62), that takeover roll will need to be done again.
    It was because I realized after the fact that there wasn't actually an open trading post for wood in 4, so I just went to the only other place with an open node of the same resource type. I'll reroll anyways, even though I don't really see the point because the action change doesn't really alter the outcome...

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    It was because I realized after the fact that there wasn't actually an open trading post for wood in 4, so I just went to the only other place with an open node of the same resource type. I'll reroll anyways, even though I don't really see the point because the action change doesn't really alter the outcome...
    Yeah, I get why you did it. As for the re-roll, it's not uncommon for there to be situations where it would alter the outcome, especially where differing TNs and opposed rolls are concerned. For instance, a player might roll very well on a roll with a low TN, and then change their actions so that roll is used to meet a much higher TN, or swap rolls around so they succeed on all their actions while otherwise they might have failed some.

For instance, in this situation, and I will make it clear I don't think this is what you actually did, you might have initially intended to take over one of the occupied trading posts in region 4, rolled well enough to beat the TN but badly enough that you thought an opposition roll would beat yours, and then moved that roll to refer to a different region. Since the dice thread post wasn't specific about whether the roll would be opposed or not, and the actions post is editable, there's a good chance nobody would ever notice, and though, as I say, I don't think that's what you did do, I also can't be certain that it isn't, and indeed that has been attempted/done by some players in the past.

As such there's a blanket policy of "if you change the action, change the roll" even where it ostensibly makes no difference.

Of course, if you fail the initial roll, and change your actions to something else to void the roll, that is not really above board, and if you're found to be doing it without good reason (usually such good reason being having to change your actions to respond to other players) you will suffer penalties, probably proportional to the egregiousness of the situation.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

28. - Top - End - #1318

On the offchance that the relevant players see this before I close the round, the following issues in actions posts could do with attention.

Dimple, your action 1 says in one place you're using 1 unit and in another place you're using 3. I'm going to run with 1 because otherwise you don't have enough troops to complete both actions, but feel free to clarify.
    One would be correct... My bad... After Lord_Burch decided to also invade the region 53, I moved a bunch of units over there so that he would not have a one hundred percent chance of destroying my soul, accidentally leaving mistakes in the action of my other invasion.

29. - Top - End - #1319

Quote Originally Posted by Legionary View Post
    Hey DimpleLoamsdown,
    I'm reforming the Slavian army next turn and I created a few pictures to represent the new appearance of the units. I was going to include an exiled "Strongman" in the picture of what is essentially Slavia's foreign legion. However, despite your incredible detail on the Bearman Qanguage I found their physical descriptions a bit vague. I got the height of 7 to 8 feet and the fur, but I couldn't determine whether "Strongmen" were Neanderthal looking, Wookie-like or just really hairy men. Could you tell me if the picture below is some what accurate?
    I do not remember saying that they were fur-covered/hairy...
    In the fox hunt event, I used the term 'furs' as a type of clothing, somewhat like a coat or a cape. Otherwise, I do not remember using the term fur to describe the appearance of Strongmen.
    They are supposed to look like seven-eight foot tall humans with a whole bunch of muscle everywhere on their body.

Here might be a good place to put this:
    Spoiler: Bearmen armour images
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1320

@Aed: Sorry I didn't get back in time to change the general thing. But I did make the stabilization roll, here. And it's definitely in my post here, my fifth action.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2017-02-12 at 09:06 AM.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.