New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Well, I'll gush over all the awesomeness of this at some later date. But for now, let me just say that I've never been happier to have to toss out a bunch of character notes.

For now, Scraps quips and dives off the "edge" ... which is really just a fancy way of saying he jumps off a ledge. If you're all changeling ghosts, then the landscape here must be like the ghost of the hive - ever changing, ever shifting. Scraps flies through one of the openings, which promptly seals shut behind him.

Luminark, you're all alone here, what do you do?
    Luminark has an objective, damn it. But right now he's kind of stuck. His only material asset is Chadwick. There needs to be some way he can achieve his goal from here. Otherwise he's going to have to check something out of the library to deal with this problem and who knows what the side effects of that will be. He doesn't even need total control, he just has to either get the Administrator drunk or give her a headache so bad she cancels the party.

Surely there has to be something...

Read A Sitch: 8: What is my best way in (to the Administrator's brain)

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, you don't need to wait long before Forced Smile enters the room at the head of a squad of ponies. He salutes upon seeing you, but his attention seems to be on the rest of the room. The rest of the squad, meanwhile, notice the struggling Prancer and reflexively unholster weapons.

"Ma'am, what's going on in here?" asks Forced Smile. "We were told that Scrapscallion was last seen entering this room - I'm under orders to find him."

He eyeballs Prancer's hoof grenade

"Do you need assistance securing that?"
    The Administrator salutes back. "First things first: I need somepony to dispose of this grenade. Be careful; once the spoon is released, it will go off. Figure something out with duct tape. Second, take Prancer into custody. Lock her into an isolation chamber. Be very careful; just a few minutes ago, she was acting as if possessed, and then a massive spectral yak jumped into her body. The yak may get out again, so the sooner she's in the friendship retraining pods, the better. Smile, while your troops do that, I'd like a word."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Black Liquorice's slightly apprehensive countenance was beginning to wear on Milliway and it was prodding her insecurities which stoked the embers of her temper. She'd been so nice before, did she not like her anymore? She wanted to reach straight in to Black's brain but something... something, caused her to hesitate, take a moment and actually think twice, for once.

[Rolling Read A Pony on Black Liquorice: 6+4+0=10 What is Black Liquorice really feeling? What does she wish I'd do? 1 hold remaining]

"Go on," Milliway said to Carat by way of continuing the conversation, but her attention was mainly on Black Liquorice.
    "I wanted to know about that gemstone in your armour" replied Carat. "Do you recall where you got it from? I know my gems, and it's a highly unusual type."

Liquorice, meanwhile, looks on with concern. You can tell it's concern for Luminark, more than for yourself though. The concern of a mother for her only mad abomination of science son. After all, just a short while ago, a nice filly seemed to be showing interest, opening all sorts of wonderful possibilities.

As for what she wants you to do, she wants you to be okay, but mostly so that you can be a good marefriend to Luminark, to care for him, look out for him.

Oh yes, and grandfoals. Lots and lots of grandfoals.

You can still do that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Luminark has an objective, damn it. But right now he's kind of stuck. His only material asset is Chadwick. There needs to be some way he can achieve his goal from here. Otherwise he's going to have to check something out of the library to deal with this problem and who knows what the side effects of that will be. He doesn't even need total control, he just has to either get the Administrator drunk or give her a headache so bad she cancels the party.

Surely there has to be something...

Read A Sitch: 8: What is my best way in (to the Administrator's brain)
    Oh Geez, I don't really know? I'm guessing that's down to what kind of defences the administrator has in place for her mind. Glim Glam, any insights here you'd care to share?

Outside of that, maybe swarming her with ghosts? You've got one spirit in the room with her - Chadwick - and a whole bunch of new ponies around. Maybe there's some way to propagate the possession?

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    The Administrator salutes back. "First things first: I need somepony to dispose of this grenade. Be careful; once the spoon is released, it will go off. Figure something out with duct tape. Second, take Prancer into custody. Lock her into an isolation chamber. Be very careful; just a few minutes ago, she was acting as if possessed, and then a massive spectral yak jumped into her body. The yak may get out again, so the sooner she's in the friendship retraining pods, the better. Smile, while your troops do that, I'd like a word."
    I should point out that, while admittedly rather effeminate, Prancer is a colt.

"Yes Ma'am" replies Smile, gesturing to his troops whose horns soon relieve you of your burden.

"I'd normally be at your service immediately" he continues, still looking around the room "but I'm currently in search of the Scrapscallion, and need to find him as soon as possible. Once I've done that, I'll come right back to you ma'am."

"You didn't happen to see him here or where he went? Some of the partygoers said he came in this direction."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'll gush over all the awesomeness of this at some later date. But for now, let me just say that I've never been happier to have to toss out a bunch of character notes.

For now, Scraps quips and dives off the "edge" ... which is really just a fancy way of saying he jumps off a ledge. If you're all changeling ghosts, then the landscape here must be like the ghost of the hive - ever changing, ever shifting. Scraps flies through one of the openings, which promptly seals shut behind him.

Scraps, you're now standing in a tunnel which is lined with more and more of the shifting holes. A couple of those changeling ghosts are wondering about aimlessly. Although one, in the shape of a non-morphed changeling bug, seems to be staring at you.

What do you do?
    Huh. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Not that his daring escapes hadn't hit snags before. It's not a new feeling, not by any means. It's more like...running into an old friend sooner than you thought you would. And remembering you owe said friend a few dozen bits.

After totally sticking the landing, the Scrapscallion nodded to his new, not-so-secret admirer. "'Sup." He casually brushed some ghost-dust from his jacket, smirking easily. "What's a pony got to do to get a ride out of this place?"

[Rolling Reputation, because a non-disguised bug seems an important rarity in this place. That makes sense: (2d6+2)[12]]

Gutters hasn't stopped gushing over her newfound hero. This bug has definitely heard of the infamous Scrapscallion: Dashing rogue of the Wasteland, master of daring escapes, leading cause of swooning everywhere. No scrape is so tough that he can't find a way through.

[Taking +1 forward when dealing with this bugaboo]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-08-08 at 11:57 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wanted to know about that gemstone in your armour" replied Carat. "Do you recall where you got it from? I know my gems, and it's a highly unusual type."

Liquorice, meanwhile, looks on with concern. You can tell it's concern for Luminark, more than for yourself though. The concern of a mother for her only mad abomination of science son. After all, just a short while ago, a nice filly seemed to be showing interest, opening all sorts of wonderful possibilities.

As for what she wants you to do, she wants you to be okay, but mostly so that you can be a good marefriend to Luminark, to care for him, look out for him.

Oh yes, and grandfoals. Lots and lots of grandfoals.

You can still do that, right?
    I, uh, I... don't know. It... uh, didn't come up. I think I'd have to ask Ooky Spooky to know for sure and, if I'm honest, that's a conversation I'm quite happy to defer.

"One of a kind," Milliway says to Carat with a glance to Liquorice, hoping she'd take the offered double meaning. She then turned to Carat fully and explained, "It's from the surface, but you won't find another. Here or there."

Milliway attempted a reassuring smile to Liquorice, but it was a bit forced and mostly lost behind the mask.

[Spending final hold: How can I get Black Liquorice to like me again?]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

6. - Top - End - #516

Oh Geez, I don't really know? I'm guessing that's down to what kind of defences the administrator has in place for her mind. Glim Glam, any insights here you'd care to share?
    Well, that's kind of difficult to say exactly. See, Starlight is not the brainer, or the Hocus, or any of those weird people who screw with peoples' minds. No, she's the pony with the big facility and the bunch of fanatically loyal ponies whose typical response is to shove guns at a problem until it goes away.

On the other hand, she's bats*** insane.

She entered the vats hundreds of years ago, and what stepped out was only mostly the brilliant mage and scientist that made the transformation possible. Her memory isn't so much a record of what happened as it is what she's decided happened; once she makes up her mind about the past, that's her story and she'll stick to it until something else makes for a more convincing story. For instance, she genuinely believes that she exposed a dangerous traitor and that her army took them down. After all, that's what she said happened, and she had no reason to lie, right?

Then you have to deal with the duality of the Administrator and Starlight Glimmer. One is the rigid, totalitarian dictator that will do anything to maintain her iron grasp on this facility that she created. The other is the one so sensitive to rejection and desperate for friendship, real or imagined, that she created an entire brainwashed cult because her childhood friend never thought to write, and even know is pursuing a romance with a colt that may or may not have ever existed.

Not sure whether that's what you're looking for. Her mind is undefended, but incredibly difficult to navigate. I'd say the most successful way to get her drinking is to exploit her memory. Present her with incontrovertible evidence that she already decided to drink tonight. Failing that, make her feel that not drinking will result in isolation, rejection, loss of control.

I should point out that, while admittedly rather effeminate, Prancer is a colt.

"Yes Ma'am" replies Smile, gesturing to his troops whose horns soon relieve you of your burden.

"I'd normally be at your service immediately" he continues, still looking around the room "but I'm currently in search of the Scrapscallion, and need to find him as soon as possible. Once I've done that, I'll come right back to you ma'am."

"You didn't happen to see him here or where he went? Some of the partygoers said he came in this direction."
    "That's actually related to why I called you here. When the yak ghost appeared, he appeared out of what appeared to be you. You then grabbed Scrapscallion and quite literally disintegrated." The Administrator nudges the dust on the floor. "Where were you two minutes ago, if not disintegrating on my floor?

"Also, I must ask. Why do you want Scrapscallion? Who gave the order, and why? What has he done that warrants my attention?" She turns and scrutinizes Smile from head to toe. "Well?"

[Read a Pony: (2d6+2)[8]
    Holding 1]
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-08-10 at 04:07 AM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #517

Well, that's kind of difficult to say exactly. See, Starlight is not the brainer, or the Hocus, or any of those weird people who screw with peoples' minds. No, she's the pony with the big facility and the bunch of fanatically loyal ponies whose typical response is to shove guns at a problem until it goes away.

On the other hand, she's bats*** insane.

She entered the vats hundreds of years ago, and what stepped out was only mostly the brilliant mage and scientist that made the transformation possible. Her memory isn't so much a record of what happened as it is what she's decided happened; once she makes up her mind about the past, that's her story and she'll stick to it until something else makes for a more convincing story. For instance, she genuinely believes that she exposed a dangerous traitor and that her army took them down. After all, that's what she said happened, and she had no reason to lie, right?

Then you have to deal with the duality of the Administrator and Starlight Glimmer. One is the rigid, totalitarian dictator that will do anything to maintain her iron grasp on this facility that she created. The other is the one so sensitive to rejection and desperate for friendship, real or imagined, that she created an entire brainwashed cult because her childhood friend never thought to write, and even know is pursuing a romance with a colt that may or may not have ever existed.

Not sure whether that's what you're looking for. Her mind is undefended, but incredibly difficult to navigate. I'd say the most successful way to get her drinking is to exploit her memory. Present her with incontrovertible evidence that she already decided to drink tonight. Failing that, make her feel that not drinking will result in isolation, rejection, loss of control.
    Luminark is a pony who gets a bit fixated on doing things in a certain way. It has not occurred to him that he could just turn around and focus on Big Bang, his real target. He's committed to this elaborate manipulation of Big Bang by way of Beaker and he's going to see it through despite the fact that this plan is a bit like building a castle on a swamp.

And for some reason, Luminark happens to have a lot of memories of not being invited to parties and being made fun of by cool ponies who are drinking and smoking and living total tunnel rat lives, and being dunked on for being - as Papdallion would put it - a 'neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd'. So if you need insecurity about not doing cool jock things Luminark is your supplier.

He just needs a Memory Shunt, so he floats up through the ceiling to grab one off the library shelf. Then he hurries back down and plugs one spectral end into the Administrator's skull secure in the knowledge that he is a smart pony for figuring this out and nothing could possibly go wrong.

[Go into your horde to get something you need: 12. Hunger stays where it is.

BUT MORE INTERESTINGLY Luminark is technically giving Glimglams a gift - which means Sticky Hooves triggers: 12 again.This memory will find its way back to Luminark within a week. It is not my job to figure out how that happens.]

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Huh. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Not that his daring escapes hadn't hit snags before. It's not a new feeling, not by any means. It's more like...running into an old friend sooner than you thought you would. And remembering you owe said friend a few dozen bits.

After totally sticking the landing, the Scrapscallion nodded to his new, not-so-secret admirer. "'Sup." He casually brushed some ghost-dust from his jacket, smirking easily. "What's a pony got to do to get a ride out of this place?"

[Rolling Reputation, because a non-disguised bug seems an important rarity in this place. That makes sense: [roll0]]

Gutters hasn't stopped gushing over her newfound hero. This bug has definitely heard of the infamous Scrapscallion: Dashing rogue of the Wasteland, master of daring escapes, leading cause of swooning everywhere. No scrape is so tough that he can't find a way through.

[Taking +1 forward when dealing with this bugaboo]
    "Hey you!" calls the bug, heading towards you. "This area's off limits. Particularly to the likes of you. What're you doing around this part of the castle anyway?"

What do you do?

I, uh, I... don't know. It... uh, didn't come up. I think I'd have to ask Ooky Spooky to know for sure and, if I'm honest, that's a conversation I'm quite happy to defer.

"One of a kind," Milliway says to Carat with a glance to Liquorice, hoping she'd take the offered double meaning. She then turned to Carat fully and explained, "It's from the surface, but you won't find another. Here or there."

Milliway attempted a reassuring smile to Liquorice, but it was a bit forced and mostly lost behind the mask.

[Spending final hold: How can I get Black Liquorice to like me again?]
    "Of that, I have no doubt." replied Carat. "A piezothaumatic resonance matrix is rare, let alone a naturally occurring one of a size like that. I take it you're familiar with its properties? They make for fantastic long term storage devices."

For Liquorice. Well, as long as you take steps towards making Luminark happy you'll get back into her good books no problem. For example, taking him out on a date would be a solid step in that direction.

What do you do?

"That's actually related to why I called you here. When the yak ghost appeared, he appeared out of what appeared to be you. You then grabbed Scrapscallion and quite literally disintegrated." The Administrator nudges the dust on the floor. "Where were you two minutes ago, if not disintegrating on my floor?

"Also, I must ask. Why do you want Scrapscallion? Who gave the order, and why? What has he done that warrants my attention?" She turns and scrutinizes Smile from head to toe. "Well?"

[Read a Pony: [roll0]
    Holding 1]
    "My orders come from the Major." replies Smile, crisply. "It's not an order I'm at liberty to question, but me and my squad just came straight from the party."

Luminark is a pony who gets a bit fixated on doing things in a certain way. It has not occurred to him that he could just turn around and focus on Big Bang, his real target. He's committed to this elaborate manipulation of Big Bang by way of Beaker and he's going to see it through despite the fact that this plan is a bit like building a castle on a swamp.

And for some reason, Luminark happens to have a lot of memories of not being invited to parties and being made fun of by cool ponies who are drinking and smoking and living total tunnel rat lives, and being dunked on for being - as Papdallion would put it - a 'neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd'. So if you need insecurity about not doing cool jock things Luminark is your supplier.

He just needs a Memory Shunt, so he floats up through the ceiling to grab one off the library shelf. Then he hurries back down and plugs one spectral end into the Administrator's skull secure in the knowledge that he is a smart pony for figuring this out and nothing could possibly go wrong.

[Go into your horde to get something you need: 12. Hunger stays where it is.

BUT MORE INTERESTINGLY Luminark is technically giving Glimglams a gift - which means Sticky Hooves triggers: 12 again.This memory will find its way back to Luminark within a week. It is not my job to figure out how that happens.]
    Oh-kaaay

Well, Glim Glam, it looks like you're getting some additional information crammed into your brainpan. What's that like for you?

Luminark, you able to describe where this memory shunt thingymabob came from? Or what it's meant to do?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of that, I have no doubt." replied Carat. "A piezothaumatic resonance matrix is rare, let alone a naturally occurring one of a size like that. I take it you're familiar with its properties? They make for fantastic long term storage devices."

For Liquorice. Well, as long as you take steps towards making Luminark happy you'll get back into her good books no problem. For example, taking him out on a date would be a solid step in that direction.

What do you do?
    "Uhm, do, well, do you know what his favourite food is?" Milliway tried to Black Liquorice before hearing Carat speak far too knowledgeable words on the subject of the Crystal Heart. Her eyes glazed over, even the cybernetic one seemed to lose its focus, and her face shifted slowly and evenly from Black Liquorice over to Carat once more. Her face behind the mask was suddenly utterly serious.

That's the talk of somepony that knows an awful lot about resonance matrices.
    That's the talk of somepony that knows an awful lot about digital storage.
    That's the talk of a hacker pony.

"I know some..." Milliway said absently, and reached out for Carat's hoof, "here, you should feel it, it's quite unlike any crystal to touch. It's not so warm anymore. It's not been the same since the ruthless and unprovoked attack on my workshop." She was reluctant to let the hoof go, trapping it in a firm hold, as she stared Carat straight in the eyes.

What had she been thinking? Of course Scrapscallion wasn't behind it, as if he had half the brainpower needed for such an attack. That's not to say he was innocent, of course he wasn't. But he was likely just the gofer.

[Rolling In-brain Puppet Strings on Carat: 6+6+2=14 (Holy Smokes!) 3 hold, Command: Give me House back.]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey you!" calls the bug, heading towards you. "This area's off limits. Particularly to the likes of you. What're you doing around this part of the castle anyway?"

What do you do?
    "What am I doing? More like what are you doing?" The Scrapscallion poked the bug square in the chest...carapace...zone. "There's royalty in danger! Are you gonna sit here like a grub, or are you gonna do something about it?"

[I would like to roll to Manipulate the bug. Help me out of this place, and I'll let you tag along for this madcap adventure. 3 + 6 + 1 = 10]

11. - Top - End - #521

"My orders come from the Major." replies Smile, crisply. "It's not an order I'm at liberty to question, but me and my squad just came straight from the party."
    "Hmm. Did she say why?"

Spending hold: How can I get him to stop looking for Scrapscallion without flat-out countermanding the order?

Oh-kaaay

Well, Glim Glam, it looks like you're getting some additional information crammed into your brainpan. What's that like for you?
    Like a horsegnat just stung your skull, right at the back, is how it feels like. Starlight whips around to glare at whatever it was, before a rush of memories she'd forgotten comes to the front of her mind. It's strange, though--the memories feel fresh. Less jumbled.

And she feels shorter in them, for some reason. Funny. She hasn't remembered back when she wasn't an alicorn in centuries.

Still, it's not the form that matters so much as the content. And the content is saying that it'd be awfully nice to drink to forget sorrows right now. You know, get back in with the cool ponies like the Archmage and Administrator.

Starlight frowns in puzzlement before turning to Smile. "I want you to leave some ponies here. If anything reappears, arrest them on the spot and let me know. For now, I've left my party alone long enough."

12. - Top - End - #522

Luminark, you able to describe where this memory shunt thingymabob came from? Or what it's meant to do?
    Back in the day, a pony in the bunker was worried his kids were going to grow up with no memory of the sun - so he built the shunt to transfer his memories across to them in a sweet and kind dying gesture. Within forty eight goddamn hours elderly ponies were using it to steal the bodies of the young. The Administrator actually put a very decisive stop to that in one of her more heroic moments and that was one of the early gestures that cemented her authority over the Bunker. Luminark, not being much for Bunker History, just prised it out of the sealed cabinet reading 'FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS OPEN THIS DOOR' without really knowing what the point was.

Either way, it seems like his master plan is finally a success, and Luminark finally relaxes and catches his breath. He notes the Administrator setting guards and starts idly thinking about how he's going to duck them but for the most part he's pretty happy to just take a break and observe.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

"I know some..." Milliway said absently, and reached out for Carat's hoof, "here, you should feel it, it's quite unlike any crystal to touch. It's not so warm anymore. It's not been the same since the ruthless and unprovoked attack on my workshop." She was reluctant to let the hoof go, trapping it in a firm hold, as she stared Carat straight in the eyes.

What had she been thinking? Of course Scrapscallion wasn't behind it, as if he had half the brainpower needed for such an attack. That's not to say he was innocent, of course he wasn't. But he was likely just the gofer.

[Rolling In-brain Puppet Strings on Carat: 6+6+2=14 (Holy Smokes!) 3 hold, Command: Give me House back.]
    "I- I will." stammered Carat, whose eyes had gone slightly glazed. "I-I just need your help first."

"What?" asked Liquorice, who was looking askance at Carat's sudden change in demeanour. "Are you okay Carat?"

She glances between your hoof and Carat's eyes.

"Are you doing something to her?"

What do you do?

"What am I doing? More like what are you doing?" The Scrapscallion poked the bug square in the chest...carapace...zone. "There's royalty in danger! Are you gonna sit here like a grub, or are you gonna do something about it?"

[I would like to roll to Manipulate the bug. Help me out of this place, and I'll let you tag along for this madcap adventure. 3 + 6 + 1 = 10]
    "What? Who would dare?" cries the bug, swallowing the story hook line and sinker.

"Look, from what Gutters has been saying, you're pretty good in a scrap. Lead the way!"

"Hmm. Did she say why?"

Spending hold: How can I get him to stop looking for Scrapscallion without flat-out countermanding the order?
    Well, that's the weird thing ... you can't.

You get the feeling, looking at him, that even a direct order from the Administrator isn't going to be enough to change his focus.

I mean, you've known Forced Smile for a while now - back before he became a squadpony. In all that time, have you ever known him to disobey you?

Like a horsegnat just stung your skull, right at the back, is how it feels like. Starlight whips around to glare at whatever it was, before a rush of memories she'd forgotten comes to the front of her mind. It's strange, though--the memories feel fresh. Less jumbled.

And she feels shorter in them, for some reason. Funny. She hasn't remembered back when she wasn't an alicorn in centuries.

Still, it's not the form that matters so much as the content. And the content is saying that it'd be awfully nice to drink to forget sorrows right now. You know, get back in with the cool ponies like the Archmage and Administrator.

Starlight frowns in puzzlement before turning to Smile. "I want you to leave some ponies here. If anything reappears, arrest them on the spot and let me know. For now, I've left my party alone long enough."
    "Yes ma'am" replies Smile, distractedly detailing a pair of guardponies to watch the room.

If there's nothing else for him, he parts ways from you as you head back to the party. That said, given what Luminark has told us about the memory shunt, below, it sounds like you had some history with the item in question. Have you ever experienced it being used on yourself before? Or heard stories from ponies who had?

Back in the day, a pony in the bunker was worried his kids were going to grow up with no memory of the sun - so he built the shunt to transfer his memories across to them in a sweet and kind dying gesture. Within forty eight goddamn hours elderly ponies were using it to steal the bodies of the young. The Administrator actually put a very decisive stop to that in one of her more heroic moments and that was one of the early gestures that cemented her authority over the Bunker. Luminark, not being much for Bunker History, just prised it out of the sealed cabinet reading 'FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS OPEN THIS DOOR' without really knowing what the point was.

Either way, it seems like his master plan is finally a success, and Luminark finally relaxes and catches his breath. He notes the Administrator setting guards and starts idly thinking about how he's going to duck them but for the most part he's pretty happy to just take a break and observe.
    So how does "observing" work when you're in the ghost hive? Is it like a big window, opening in the sky. Or does it take concentration to pierce the veil?

How is it that this mirror world connects to the real one?

14. - Top - End - #524

So how does "observing" work when you're in the ghost hive? Is it like a big window, opening in the sky. Or does it take concentration to pierce the veil?
    The hive itself shifts into a physical copy of the scene Luminark is thinking about, with Changeling ghosts shaped[1] into the figures of ponies present and forced to repeat their lines. It's a re-enactment of what's happening in the physical world more than anything else. Depending on the personalities of the changelings shanghaied so, some may go through their lines in silly voices, hammy over-acting, or agonizingly bored monotones.

[1] This is a function of the Hive itself and is the only thing that lets the ghosts change their shapes, and it's temporary and unreliable. When the effect ends the commandeered ghosts go back to the forms they died in.

How is it that this mirror world connects to the real one?
    Luminark has no idea. He thinks of himself as a pretty smart pony but Ooky Spooky's documentation just made his eyes glaze over (not least because, for all that he loves his moms, her hoofwriting is abysmal). Something something, art of permanence, something something, psychic network anchored by the corpses/corpse dust of dead changelings, something something, avatar-anchor, something.

15. - Top - End - #525

"Yes ma'am" replies Smile, distractedly detailing a pair of guardponies to watch the room.

If there's nothing else for him, he parts ways from you as you head back to the party. That said, given what Luminark has told us about the memory shunt, below, it sounds like you had some history with the item in question. Have you ever experienced it being used on yourself before? Or heard stories from ponies who had?
    Why do you think I had it locked away? You have three hundred scientists all locked into a confined space, and every single one of them wants to be the top dog deciding which research gets grants. They want young bodies, sure, but can you imagine having an immortal body that's already in charge? I got zapped with it, yes, and spent a few weeks in the body of a pre-teen before managing to get close enough to me to zap myself back into my body at an elementary science fair. (Still can't believe they chose some joker with a baking soda volcano over my nuclear death ray.)

Well, that's the weird thing ... you can't.

You get the feeling, looking at him, that even a direct order from the Administrator isn't going to be enough to change his focus.

I mean, you've known Forced Smile for a while now - back before he became a squadpony. In all that time, have you ever known him to disobey you?
    It's generally known that disobeying the administrator to her face is a good way to spend some time in an isolation vat. If he disobeys me, it's usually in a way that he thinks won't get back to me. Sometimes I let him get away with it, if I think it won't cause any dissent in the bunker.

What's his answer to the question I asked?

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

"What? Who would dare?" cries the bug, swallowing the story hook line and sinker.

"Look, from what Gutters has been saying, you're pretty good in a scrap. Lead the way!"
    Great! The Scrapscallion immediately got to work thinking of cool sidekick names. The Doom Buggy? Yeah, that sounded pretty rad. "Alright; first thing's first, we gotta get to the outside. You think you can handle that?"

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

"I- I will." stammered Carat, whose eyes had gone slightly glazed. "I-I just need your help first."

"What?" asked Liquorice, who was looking askance at Carat's sudden change in demeanour. "Are you okay Carat?"

She glances between your hoof and Carat's eyes.

"Are you doing something to her?"

What do you do?
    A bit distracted by Liquorice's interruption Milliway glances over her shoulder at her, spending another thought how to handle the situation but it seemed a too-complex one for her to map out in her mind and she quickly abandoned it and just suddenly went with honesty, "Yes. My job. She is a pony of interest in an investigation." Her voice was curt as her mental focus was now with Carat and did not want the distraction of having to consider Black Liquorice's feelings on the matter.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

The hive itself shifts into a physical copy of the scene Luminark is thinking about, with Changeling ghosts shaped[1] into the figures of ponies present and forced to repeat their lines. It's a re-enactment of what's happening in the physical world more than anything else. Depending on the personalities of the changelings shanghaied so, some may go through their lines in silly voices, hammy over-acting, or agonizingly bored monotones.

[1] This is a function of the Hive itself and is the only thing that lets the ghosts change their shapes, and it's temporary and unreliable. When the effect ends the commandeered ghosts go back to the forms they died in.
    Well, the scene before you plays out pretty much as you'd expect - although the changeling portraying Tourniquet today seems to have a love of classical theatre that is only matched by their lack of acting talent.

You see Ham Radio, Forced Smile and Starlight leave the room, leaving behind Tourniquet and Target Practice.

"Forsooth. Though I verily remain here standing silently, my internal monologue knows no end. Guarding, ever vigilant, I remain behind."

Well, this scene doesn't really seem to be doing much anymore, is there anywhere in particular you'd want to tune the hive into? And is there anywhere your hive-sight doesn't cover?

"As the dust motes float through the light, verily so are the days of our lives"

It's generally known that disobeying the administrator to her face is a good way to spend some time in an isolation vat. If he disobeys me, it's usually in a way that he thinks won't get back to me. Sometimes I let him get away with it, if I think it won't cause any dissent in the bunker.

What's his answer to the question I asked?
    Well, given your first hoof experience with this, you'll probably be recognising the sensation of the memory shunt - even as the desire to take a swig gets stronger in your mind.

As for Forced Smile? I thought I had answered this part but it must have been lost when my post got eaten.

"She didn't give a reason ma'am. Not my place to ask." he replies, as he heads back out of the office.

Great! The Scrapscallion immediately got to work thinking of cool sidekick names. The Doom Buggy? Yeah, that sounded pretty rad. "Alright; first thing's first, we gotta get to the outside. You think you can handle that?"
    Can he?

Luminark, do these run of the mill changelings have access rights to the outside?

A bit distracted by Liquorice's interruption Milliway glances over her shoulder at her, spending another thought how to handle the situation but it seemed a too-complex one for her to map out in her mind and she quickly abandoned it and just suddenly went with honesty, "Yes. My job. She is a pony of interest in an investigation." Her voice was curt as her mental focus was now with Carat and did not want the distraction of having to consider Black Liquorice's feelings on the matter.
    "I ... see." replies Liquorice, backing away. "I may leave you two to it then."

Do you stop her? What do you do now?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

"I ... see." replies Liquorice, backing away. "I may leave you two to it then."

Do you stop her? What do you do now?
    "...yes." Milliway answers distractedly without even looking at Black Liquorice, her focus entirely on Carat now, forgetting polite remarks such as 'thank you' or 'it was nice talking' or 'perhaps we could talk more later?'.

"And what would that be?" she pressed Carat after another moment, demanding she clarified this help she had the audacity to ask of her.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

20. - Top - End - #530

Well, the scene before you plays out pretty much as you'd expect - although the changeling portraying Tourniquet today seems to have a love of classical theatre that is only matched by their lack of acting talent.

You see Ham Radio, Forced Smile and Starlight leave the room, leaving behind Tourniquet and Target Practice.

"Forsooth. Though I verily remain here standing silently, my internal monologue knows no end. Guarding, ever vigilant, I remain behind."

Well, this scene doesn't really seem to be doing much anymore, is there anywhere in particular you'd want to tune the hive into? And is there anywhere your hive-sight doesn't cover?

"As the dust motes float through the light, verily so are the days of our lives"
    The hive sight doesn't do anywhere warded against necromancy specifically - so sealed Stables are a big one, or any Ministry of Image buildings for whatever reason. It's not always obvious that Luminark's scrying on a warded area because the Changelings just take that as a cue to improvise.

Luminark pulls up a large rocky throne and, with a dismissive gesture, changes the channel. First he looks at Miliway, and then curiosity drives him to see what those psycho raiders he escaped out in the Wasteland are up to.

Can he?

Luminark, do these run of the mill changelings have access rights to the outside?
    Oh good gravy no, certainly not. To get out they'd need
    A) A functional and empty body lyin' around in the real world
    B) A psychic portal of some kind.
    C) Some way to avoid having their golden opportunity flankrushed by a horde of changeling ghosts

And obviously only Luminark has the power, wit, charisma, grace, intelligence, spiritual fortitude, winning personality, tallness, etc, to ever procure these things.

(Also, on the off chance Scraps figures out a way to do this, the world will be neck deep in Changeling ghosts in a matter of minutes)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-08-27 at 04:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Oh good gravy no, certainly not. To get out they'd need
    A) A functional and empty body lyin' around in the real world
    B) A psychic portal of some kind.
    C) Some way to avoid having their golden opportunity flankrushed by a horde of changeling ghosts

And obviously only Luminark has the power, wit, charisma, grace, intelligence, spiritual fortitude, winning personality, tallness, etc, to ever procure these things.

(Also, on the off chance Scraps figures out a way to do this, the world will be neck deep in Changeling ghosts in a matter of minutes)
    Woahhhhh woah woah woah. Hold your horses there, buddy. We've already got A done and ready. The Scrapscallion has a real functional body lyin' around ifyouknowwhatimean. Do you know what I mean? I've asked everypony and I swear nopony knows what I mean. I think it's like a really bad joke that everybody's in on.

Yeah, you used Weird science-magic-nonsense to put the Scrapscallion in this ghost-hive, but he's not like you. For one, he's not a nerd. For two, you've got a body made up of necromancy and mad science. The Scrapscallion's got a body made up of a body. And maybe a little mad science. The Administrator hasn't been too clear on that one. It's probably nothing to worry about. The point is, he should be able to get the hay out of Dodge using his own body, so all he needs is a psychic portal thing.

...which, hey, here's a genuine Scrapscallion Idea; you say you can only take one ghost out at a time, right? Is that because anypony can only be haunted by one ghost at a time? So, like, if the Doom Buggy were to hitch a ride out with the Scrapscallion, then no other ghosts would be able to jump with him?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-08-28 at 01:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

Well, given your first hoof experience with this, you'll probably be recognising the sensation of the memory shunt - even as the desire to take a swig gets stronger in your mind.

As for Forced Smile? I thought I had answered this part but it must have been lost when my post got eaten.

"She didn't give a reason ma'am. Not my place to ask." he replies, as he heads back out of the office.
    That means that my excuses not to drink have just left. But since I'm vaguely aware that this isn't me talking, I'm gonna be reserved.

"Come, friends!" I bellow, bursting through the door. "I don't think I've properly thanked you all for throwing this party with me! Now come! Drink! Enjoy yourselves! Let's blast the bass, and don't you stop until those speakers blow! Big Bang, I hope you won't think me crass if I were to apologize for my previous behavior and hope we could reconcile over that birthday present!"

surely nothing can go wrong with this plan and I endorse it completely

23. - Top - End - #533

Woahhhhh woah woah woah. Hold your horses there, buddy. We've already got A done and ready. The Scrapscallion has a real functional body lyin' around ifyouknowwhatimean. Do you know what I mean? I've asked everypony and I swear nopony knows what I mean. I think it's like a really bad joke that everybody's in on.

Yeah, you used Weird science-magic-nonsense to put the Scrapscallion in this ghost-hive, but he's not like you. For one, he's not a nerd. For two, you've got a body made up of necromancy and mad science. The Scrapscallion's got a body made up of a body. And maybe a little mad science. The Administrator hasn't been too clear on that one. It's probably nothing to worry about. The point is, he should be able to get the hay out of Dodge using his own body, so all he needs is a psychic portal thing.

...which, hey, here's a genuine Scrapscallion Idea; you say you can only take one ghost out at a time, right? Is that because anypony can only be haunted by one ghost at a time? So, like, if the Doom Buggy were to hitch a ride out with the Scrapscallion, then no other ghosts would be able to jump with him?
    Technically, whenever Luminark becomes possessed by a ghost, he's really withdrawing into the hivemindscape and the ghost is coming in so there's only really one soul per body and this is important because blah blah blah math blah blah blah science blah blah blah multi-souled psychic abomination cronenburgs blah blah blah tax fraud.

Tealdear, if the Crabbattallion got out and got possessed immediately by a random changeling that'd save him from being possessed by a different random changeling. That doesn't solve the problem of the 'open psychic portal' (or the new problem of 'I am now possessed by a random changeling') though but I'm sure that's much easier to figure out while you're in the real world.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

"...yes." Milliway answers distractedly without even looking at Black Liquorice, her focus entirely on Carat now, forgetting polite remarks such as 'thank you' or 'it was nice talking' or 'perhaps we could talk more later?'.

"And what would that be?" she pressed Carat after another moment, demanding she clarified this help she had the audacity to ask of her.
    Well, given that rousing list of reasons to stick around, Liquorice beats a slightly hasty retreat. It leaves you alone with Carat in a slight circle of non-partyness.

"I --- I need you to ... I need you to free me." Carat stammers ... before she twitches, once, violently.

Do you want to read a sitch? Or a pony?

That means that my excuses not to drink have just left. But since I'm vaguely aware that this isn't me talking, I'm gonna be reserved.

"Come, friends!" I bellow, bursting through the door. "I don't think I've properly thanked you all for throwing this party with me! Now come! Drink! Enjoy yourselves! Let's blast the bass, and don't you stop until those speakers blow! Big Bang, I hope you won't think me crass if I were to apologize for my previous behavior and hope we could reconcile over that birthday present!"
    "Huzzah!!" yell a few dozen ponies, nearest to the entrance.

"HUZZAH!" yells one very loud pony from over at the fireworks display. "DRINKS FOR EVERYPONY!"

There is a mess of partygoers all pressing forward as the celebrity of the hour makes her grand return. Big Bang, in particular, amps up the music before heading towards you, bottle in hoof.

What do you do?

Technically, whenever Luminark becomes possessed by a ghost, he's really withdrawing into the hivemindscape and the ghost is coming in so there's only really one soul per body and this is important because blah blah blah math blah blah blah science blah blah blah multi-souled psychic abomination cronenburgs blah blah blah tax fraud.

Tealdear, if the Crabbattallion got out and got possessed immediately by a random changeling that'd save him from being possessed by a different random changeling. That doesn't solve the problem of the 'open psychic portal' (or the new problem of 'I am now possessed by a random changeling') though but I'm sure that's much easier to figure out while you're in the real world.
    "Well ... no, not really at all." replied the changeling, deflating somewhat. "Only the Queen has the power to make a portal to the real world, as far as I know at least. It's why he's always changing shape - he's the one that brings us out when needed, while the rest of us just float around guarding holes in the wall."

The hive sight doesn't do anywhere warded against necromancy specifically - so sealed Stables are a big one, or any Ministry of Image buildings for whatever reason. It's not always obvious that Luminark's scrying on a warded area because the Changelings just take that as a cue to improvise.

Luminark pulls up a large rocky throne and, with a dismissive gesture, changes the channel. First he looks at Miliway, and then curiosity drives him to see what those psycho raiders he escaped out in the Wasteland are up to.
    Unfortunately, Luminark, I'm going to go with the reading of the move that limits the viewpoint to where you just were (and the limited area around it).

While you can see that the hallway outside is relatively empty, at least once Glimglam heads back towards the party, it's not long before she's out of your sight.

In the meantime, the changeling portraying Tourniquet begins to demonstrate "waiting idly by" through interpretive dance.

Are you just going to sit here watching paint dry? Or something else? What do you do?

Also, I don't know if this is possible in the maelstrom, but you get the feeling that the Archmage is trying to contact you again.

25. - Top - End - #535

Are you just going to sit here watching paint dry? Or something else? What do you do?

Also, I don't know if this is possible in the maelstrom, but you get the feeling that the Archmage is trying to contact you again.
    Of course it's possible for the Archmage to contact Luminark in the Maelstrom. The Archmage is an outside context pony. If she wanted to she could go back in time and place a time delayed memory in Luminark's head to reveal itself at this exact moment - there is nothing (at least, according to Luminark) she can not do.

So the moment Luminark gets the even slightest inkling that the Archmage wants something, his full attention is there and nowhere else.

[Open My Brain to the Archmage: 10.]

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, given that rousing list of reasons to stick around, Liquorice beats a slightly hasty retreat. It leaves you alone with Carat in a slight circle of non-partyness.

"I --- I need you to ... I need you to free me." Carat stammers ... before she twitches, once, violently.

Do you want to read a sitch? Or a pony?
    There is a tiiiny voice in the back of Milliway's mind that suggests that leaving things like that with Black Liquorice was perhaps a bad idea. That maybe somepony owes somepony else some kind of act of kindness or apology or something now. That maybe she ought to feel a little bit bad now. That notion is immediately met with anger and a snarl, channelled at the easiest target at hoof, Carat.

"How? From who?" Milliway demands with a voice that betrays her desire to vent the unwanted icky feelings with violence.

[Reading a Pony seems a good idea: 6+2+0=8, 1 hold]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2017-08-30 at 01:49 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

"Well ... no, not really at all." replied the changeling, deflating somewhat. "Only the Queen has the power to make a portal to the real world, as far as I know at least. It's why he's always changing shape - he's the one that brings us out when needed, while the rest of us just float around guarding holes in the wall."
    Plan B was to stalk Luminark until he opened up a portal to the outside world, but considering that sounded super boring and not at all urgent enough...

Plan C was to hop on over to the Hoard, and "borrow" something that could poof two adventurous souls back to the real world. And that was exactly what Scraps did.

28. - Top - End - #538

"Huzzah!!" yell a few dozen ponies, nearest to the entrance.

"HUZZAH!" yells one very loud pony from over at the fireworks display. "DRINKS FOR EVERYPONY!"

There is a mess of partygoers all pressing forward as the celebrity of the hour makes her grand return. Big Bang, in particular, amps up the music before heading towards you, bottle in hoof.

What do you do?
    Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then surely a video is worth a thousand words for each frame, right?

Put it this way. We have a manufactory. We can make all the crap you'd ever want. Drugs, booze, ammo, fireworks, the works. The only limit to what you can make is what you can program the machine to do, and we've had two hundred years' worth of badly-repressed and very creative nerds using them. I managed to restrict access a while ago, so there's been fewer drug-frenzied orgies, but now?

F*** it. Nobody likes a party pooper, right? I strut to the console, and with a flourish, input the combination of password and genetic resources to give free reign to the manufactory for the next twelve hours. Ooooh, yeah. Watch out. Popular princess, coming through!

Now that I've ensured my everlasting worship with the masses, it's time to get down to business. Who'd be the one in charge of records? You know, the one I'd go to strangle if somehow I found a dangerous artifact that I'd specifically instructed was never to see the light of day again?

Oh, and also I bring up the bottle and grin at Big Bang. "A wonderful birthday party. Thank you!"

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course it's possible for the Archmage to contact Luminark in the Maelstrom. The Archmage is an outside context pony. If she wanted to she could go back in time and place a time delayed memory in Luminark's head to reveal itself at this exact moment - there is nothing (at least, according to Luminark) she can not do.

So the moment Luminark gets the even slightest inkling that the Archmage wants something, his full attention is there and nowhere else.

[Open My Brain to the Archmage: 10.]
    It's an experience akin to staring into a sun. A proper one, not the yellow circles that you see in foals' books, but bright white light. So blue it's almost purple.

Magic resonates on frequencies both heard and felt, swirling down into a point. And that point is the Archmage's mind.

It swivels towards you like a spotlight.

"Luminark ... did you find out what that disturbance was?"

There is a tiiiny voice in the back of Milliway's mind that suggests that leaving things like that with Black Liquorice was perhaps a bad idea. That maybe somepony owes somepony else some kind of act of kindness or apology or something now. That maybe she ought to feel a little bit bad now. That notion is immediately met with anger and a snarl, channelled at the easiest target at hoof, Carat.

"How? From who?" Milliway demands with a voice that betrays her desire to vent the unwanted icky feelings with violence.

[Reading a Pony seems a good idea: 6+2+0=8, 1 hold]
    "I ... I can't say." replies Carat, who has broken out into a sweat. "I can't. He'll know."

What do you do?

Plan B was to stalk Luminark until he opened up a portal to the outside world, but considering that sounded super boring and not at all urgent enough...

Plan C was to hop on over to the Hoard, and "borrow" something that could poof two adventurous souls back to the real world. And that was exactly what Scraps did.
    Well, we've already established that the horde is linked to this Changeling realm, but I doubt it's as easy as nipping up the interdimensional stairs. Even if the fabric of reality is thinner between those two locations.

Besides, it's not your hoard.

Real world rules may not apply here. Would you like to open your brain?

Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then surely a video is worth a thousand words for each frame, right?

Put it this way. We have a manufactory. We can make all the crap you'd ever want. Drugs, booze, ammo, fireworks, the works. The only limit to what you can make is what you can program the machine to do, and we've had two hundred years' worth of badly-repressed and very creative nerds using them. I managed to restrict access a while ago, so there's been fewer drug-frenzied orgies, but now?

F*** it. Nobody likes a party pooper, right? I strut to the console, and with a flourish, input the combination of password and genetic resources to give free reign to the manufactory for the next twelve hours. Ooooh, yeah. Watch out. Popular princess, coming through!

Now that I've ensured my everlasting worship with the masses, it's time to get down to business. Who'd be the one in charge of records? You know, the one I'd go to strangle if somehow I found a dangerous artifact that I'd specifically instructed was never to see the light of day again?

Oh, and also I bring up the bottle and grin at Big Bang. "A wonderful birthday party. Thank you!"
    And with those words the party really kicks off. Quick question though, do you actually drink from the bottle yet? Big bang is watching and this is the moment that you can take a good deep swig, or set it aside.

As to the Bunker's archivist? That'd be Dewey Decimal - an old earth pony. He's getting on a bit in years, and probably would be around here somewhere. Try checking near the dispensers for anypony who has been ordering old scotch.

What do you do?

30. - Top - End - #540

It's an experience akin to staring into a sun. A proper one, not the yellow circles that you see in foals' books, but bright white light. So blue it's almost purple.

Magic resonates on frequencies both heard and felt, swirling down into a point. And that point is the Archmage's mind.

It swivels towards you like a spotlight.

"Luminark ... did you find out what that disturbance was?"
    "Yes, Archmagus! Some ponies were having a birthday party and were getting a bit too loud, I have told them to quiet down!" Luminark said, bowing and scraping and keeping his eyes firmly shut so he is not blinded by the impossible radiance of the Archmage's all-powerful intellect. "Is there anything else you require, Archmagus?"