New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Q376 (Mentalist's Handbook):

The Fright Wright's "Fear's Master" ability doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear's Master
    When using the fear’s herald class feature, you may add your persuasive bonus or casting ability modifier (whichever is higher) to the magic skill check.
    The Fear's Herald ability makes no mention of a magic skill check. Am I correct in guessing that it used to call for a check but was later changed, and Fear's Master was not changed as well?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Pixie in the Playground

Q377 (Sphere Apocrypha, Destruction)

How does Destructive maw work if I already have a bite attack? Do I replace the bite I already have with the one granted by Destructive Maw, or do I add the damage from Destructive Maw to the bite attack I already have?

Q378 (Death sphere)

I've done a cursory search and I haven't seen much on it, but are there any chances for a Death Handbook any time soon?
    Last edited by Cybershark; 2017-11-17 at 08:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

A 377
    You can choose to either your Destructive Maw or your regular bite, but they don't combine and you can't use both at the same time.

The longer answer is that the subject is more vague than defined, but generally you only get one weapon per appendage. You can't use your claws while wielding a sword in the same hand, for example. If you've got two bite attacks in the same place, you can't use both at once. They'd only combine if there were specific rules to support that, which Destructive Maw doesn't provide.

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by Cybershark View Post
    Q378 (Death sphere)

I've done a cursory search and I haven't seen much on it, but are there any chances for a Death Handbook any time soon?

A378:
    There are currently 4 HBs in playtest right now. Until those get published (or at least a minimum of 2 of the to reduce the queue), I do not expect the next playtests being put up. IIRC, there are still 5 HBs left in hidden development. So the chance is relatively low, if only one or two HBs are added to the queue, that Death is part of it. But I do not have any insight, how well Death has been developed so far. I think some HBs went author-switching and Death might have been one of them.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2017-11-18 at 11:30 AM.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

5. - Top - End - #935
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q379 Potions in SOP

Can you brew a potion with the warp sphere, that then allows you to teleport within close range?

I know this was not possible for potions in 3.5/PF, since you couldn't pick a different target by drinking the potion. How does spheres handle this?

6. - Top - End - #936

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post

A378:
    There are currently 4 HBs in playtest right now. Until those get published (or at least a minimum of 2 of the to reduce the queue), I do not expect the next playtests being put up. IIRC, there are still 5 HBs left in hidden development. So the chance is relatively low, if only one or two HBs are added to the queue, that Death is part of it. But I do not have any insight, how well Death has been developed so far. I think some HBs went author-switching and Death might have been one of them.
    Death was being written by Luke Williams. He started writing it in January 2016 (around the time I started writing War). His manuscript is at 16k (long enough for playtest), and has been since last April, when he last made changes, but needs polishing (and reordering).

7. - Top - End - #937

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Q376 (Mentalist's Handbook):

The Fright Wright's "Fear's Master" ability doesn't make sense to me.

The Fear's Herald ability makes no mention of a magic skill check. Am I correct in guessing that it used to call for a check but was later changed, and Fear's Master was not changed as well?
    You are correct, and I apologize for not getting it updated. The original version of Fear's Herald required a magic skill check (I love the mechanic for some reason) but it was pointed out that it'd be simpler (and probably more fun for many) if Fear's Herald just worked without the check. I intended to alter Fear's Master so that you could add your Persuasive bonus or CAM to the number of HD a target could have to retain its typical immunity (making it 4+Persuasive HD rather than just 4 HD). I was also going to let the Persuasive bonus apply to the caster level check for the purpose of affecting creatures with spell resistance with magical fear effects, sort of acting like a faux Spell Piercing ability that only applies to fear. Since I never got it in, this was never playtested, but I feel that it would be a reasonable ability for one who has truly tamed the forces of fear.

It's also worth noting that this change would slightly alter the wording of the Fear Incarnate ability later on but not necessarily the end result of what the ability means. By the time you gain Fear Incarnate you already have Fear's Master so you're already able to affect things with more than 4 HD higher than your capability, so instead it should probably just say something like "You may now affect even creatures with a racial or class-based immunity to fear regardless of the number of hit dice they possess".

8. - Top - End - #938
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post

A378:
    Q380

Which of the 4 handbooks are in playtest right now? The only ones I've been able to find have been the Protection handbook and the Fate handbook.

9. - Top - End - #939

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cybershark View Post
    Q380

Which of the 4 handbooks are in playtest right now? The only ones I've been able to find have been the Protection handbook and the Fate handbook.
    A380: Conjuration and Creation

Creation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Conjuration: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Protection: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Fate: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Q381 (not really a RAW question, more a question of intent for the devs if possible)

How should I handle the eldritch knight prestige class? Should I simply not include it and direct the player in question to one of the full bab spherecasters instead?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    You are correct, and I apologize for not getting it updated. The original version of Fear's Herald required a magic skill check (I love the mechanic for some reason) but it was pointed out that it'd be simpler (and probably more fun for many) if Fear's Herald just worked without the check. I intended to alter Fear's Master so that you could add your Persuasive bonus or CAM to the number of HD a target could have to retain its typical immunity (making it 4+Persuasive HD rather than just 4 HD). I was also going to let the Persuasive bonus apply to the caster level check for the purpose of affecting creatures with spell resistance with magical fear effects, sort of acting like a faux Spell Piercing ability that only applies to fear. Since I never got it in, this was never playtested, but I feel that it would be a reasonable ability for one who has truly tamed the forces of fear.

It's also worth noting that this change would slightly alter the wording of the Fear Incarnate ability later on but not necessarily the end result of what the ability means. By the time you gain Fear Incarnate you already have Fear's Master so you're already able to affect things with more than 4 HD higher than your capability, so instead it should probably just say something like "You may now affect even creatures with a racial or class-based immunity to fear regardless of the number of hit dice they possess".
    Could I trouble you for a reworded description, so that I can make sure the Hero Lab files accurately reflect your intention? Thanks.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Q381 (not really a RAW question, more a question of intent for the devs if possible)

How should I handle the eldritch knight prestige class? Should I simply not include it and direct the player in question to one of the full bab spherecasters instead?
    In no way an official answer, but given that it just advances existing spellcasting progression, I'd say for levels that grant +1 to existing spellcasting class you get the magic talents, spell points, and CL as if you'd levelled up in your initial class.

As far as the 3rd level arcane spell prereq, perhaps require a certain caster level to enter?
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    As far as the 3rd level arcane spell prereq, perhaps require a certain caster level to enter?
    The third level part is easy; having a caster level of 6 or higher will do that (the level of a sphere ability is CL/2 for effects that care about level, remember). Being arcane is going to the tricky part, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The third level part is easy; having a caster level of 6 or higher will do that (the level of a sphere ability is CL/2 for effects that care about level, remember). Being arcane is going to the tricky part, though.
    Yeah. Probably either drop that restriction or require that they be a part of a casting tradition which the GM determines is "arcane".
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    In no way an official answer, but given that it just advances existing spellcasting progression, I'd say for levels that grant +1 to existing spellcasting class you get the magic talents, spell points, and CL as if you'd levelled up in your initial class.

Advancing CL and talents per an existing class means everyone dips Incanter 1 before entering and advanced that.

I think you would have to give it a fixed progression, but personally I would just not use it. There are enough ways to mix martial ability and magic with plain multiclassing. Eldritch knight would just end up full BAB full casting with almost 0 class features. Pretty boring.

16. - Top - End - #946

BardGuy

Could I trouble you for a reworded description, so that I can make sure the Hero Lab files accurately reflect your intention? Thanks.
    Sure! Let's see...

Spoiler: Fear's Master
    Show
    Fear's Master: At 10th level, the fright wright’s ability to instill fear even in those who are fearless improves. When using the fear’s herald class feature, you may add your Persuasive bonus or Casting Ability Modifier (whichever is higher) to your number of effective Fright Wright levels for determining how many hit dice a creature must have to retain its immunity to your fear effects. You may also add your Persuasive bonus to your magic skill check when attempting to overcome the spell resistance of a target of your fear effects.

This replaces the inspire greatness class feature.

Spoiler: Fear Incarnate
    Show
    Fear Incarnate: At 16th level, the fright wright can cause fear in nearly anyone. Even those who have an immunity to fear from racial Hit Dice or class levels are susceptible to your fear’s herald class feature, regardless of the number of Hit Dice they possess.

This modifies the inspire heroics aspect of the hypnotism class feature.

Does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Eldritch knight would just end up full BAB full casting with almost 0 class features. Pretty boring.
    Definitely, though I think it'd still work pretty well for an NPC class, at least. If a player really wanted a prestige class like this, I'd take a look at the differences between, say, Eldritch Knight and 3.5's Knight Phantom (basically, pick a Talent or magical effect you can produce with Talents, and make the class be about heightening the effectiveness of that kind of thing.)

17. - Top - End - #947

Sure! Let's see...

Show
    Fear's Master: At 10th level, the fright wright’s ability to instill fear even in those who are fearless improves. When using the fear’s herald class feature, you may add your Persuasive bonus or Casting Ability Modifier (whichever is higher) to your number of effective Fright Wright levels for determining how many hit dice a creature must have to retain its immunity to your fear effects. You may also add your Persuasive bonus to your magic skill check when attempting to overcome the spell resistance of a target of your fear effects.

I suggest to replace "Casting Ability Modifier" with "CAM". Or don't capitalize.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

18. - Top - End - #948
    Pixie in the Playground

I've got a question regarding adjusting durations in Spellcrafting.
    My question relates to Darkness sphere, and two main abilities: Darkness and Meld (any with 1 hour/level duration).

If I were to treat Meld as a skeleton ability, and Darkness as an ability I want to add, then it would be subject to Adjusting Durations rule...only not always, because if I voluntarily increase Darkness' cost by 1 spell point, its duration becomes 1 minute per caster level, and then the base ability is no longer subject to duration reduction.

Should I assume, that the rule always refers to the ability's default duration?

Another questions would include:

• adding an ability like Exhausting Strike or Drain to such things as Darkness or Energy Cloud (I imagined an effect applied each turn with a requisite save)
    • Clinging Darkness applied to multiple targets, while simultaneously granting them melds - would it be base Darkness with added melds, or base Meld with added Darkness?
    • Clearsight and multisphere spells - would it grant immunity to a spell whose base sphere is Dark, but which applies effects from other spheres? If not and Clearsight grants immunity to only (darkness) and (blot) effects, would it still grant immunity to those should they come from a spell whose base sphere is not Dark and only applies effects from the Dark sphere?

I know, that rules of Spellcrafting have been left vague for a purpose, but (at least in my case) instead of promoting wonder and creativity it provokes a lot of uncertainty, and dread that I might have combined something the wrong way.

To be quite honest, Spellcrafting deserves its own handbook with fleshed out rules and more sane examples, but I'm not here to suggest anything - I just want to get some answers to things which trouble me :)

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Advancing CL and talents per an existing class means everyone dips Incanter 1 before entering and advanced that.

I think you would have to give it a fixed progression, but personally I would just not use it. There are enough ways to mix martial ability and magic with plain multiclassing. Eldritch knight would just end up full BAB full casting with almost 0 class features. Pretty boring.
    Cool, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

An unrelated followup question: The astral projection advanced talent does not itself allow you to manifest on another plane, but if you could get to another plane by some other means (say, the plane shfit advanced talent) could you instead use that in lieu of getting the astral travel advanced talent?

Edit: Another question, can you use a staff's enhancement bonus to qualify for an advanced talent early? Obvioulsy you wouldn't be able to use the talent if you didn't have the staff on hand, but can you still pick up the talent early?

Edit2: Yet another question, if I was say, dipping into spherecasting via the feats basic and advanced magical training, what are some of the methods I could use to expand my spell pool in terms of magical items? How would a ring of wizardry work for example?
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-11-19 at 10:40 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

20. - Top - End - #950

Sure! Let's see...

Show

Spoiler: Fear Incarnate
    Show
    Fear Incarnate: At 16th level, the fright wright can cause fear in nearly anyone. Even those who have an immunity to fear from racial Hit Dice or class levels are susceptible to your fear’s herald class feature, regardless of the number of Hit Dice they possess.

This modifies the inspire heroics aspect of the hypnotism class feature.

Does that work?
    It does, thank you!

21. - Top - End - #951
    Pixie in the Playground

The Incanter sub-specialization for Divination has an SU ability called Share Information. Pasting it below just to make things easy. My question is, lets say I use Divine Future talent (divination) from the Divination sphere, can I then use this ability (Share Information) to allow my allies that are affected by Share Information to gain the same ability that Divine Future gives me (the caster- add 1D4, +1 per 5 CL as an immediate to a qualifying roll) ? If it does, do we "share" the uses remaining (IE if I had taken this ability twice for 2 uses per casting) between all targets that received Divine Future via the Share Senses ability ?

Share Information (Su)

When you use a (divine) talent, you can choose a number of creatures equal to your casting ability modifier within 60 feet. Those creatures gain the exact same information you gain from the (divine) talent for as long as you maintain concentration on it, although this is not enough to distract them or impose penalties in any way. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your casting ability modifier. This replaces the Divination sphere specialization, Diviner’s Fortune.

22. - Top - End - #952

Quote Originally Posted by meat_shield View Post
    The Incanter sub-specialization for Divination has an SU ability called Share Information. Pasting it below just to make things easy. My question is, lets say I use Divine Future talent (divination) from the Divination sphere, can I then use this ability (Share Information) to allow my allies that are affected by Share Information to gain the same ability that Divine Future gives me (the caster- add 1D4, +1 per 5 CL as an immediate to a qualifying roll) ? If it does, do we "share" the uses remaining (IE if I had taken this ability twice for 2 uses per casting) between all targets that received Divine Future via the Share Senses ability ?
    Your question was answered on page 30, but for your convenience, I have reposted the answer below:

A359: Share Information was not intended to be used with the 'Divine Future talent', but rather for (divine) talents which actually give the caster new information via concentration. Note how Share Information mentions that the benefits last as long as you maintain concentration on the talent (coincidentally, you don't 'concentrate' for 'Divine Future').

23. - Top - End - #953
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

How does objects and targeting work with enhancement, dual enhancement, and mass enhancement? Can you use mass enhancement to enchant your entire armory of equipment at once or would you and your equipment be conisdered the same target and require dual enhancement?

Does the Herculean Scion's equipment count as herself? Could she buff her weapons at full power?

Do the bonuses of Mass Enhancement have to just the same talent or the same bonuses as well? Mass enchant with physical enhancement, would you be able to choose what physical stat each target get's enhanced, or would you have to choose one of the three and apply the same to all people.
    Last edited by Jakman217; 2017-11-20 at 04:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q381 Beyond the Magic Staff Magic Talent special ability, are there any other ways for a sphere caster to gain additional spheres, through items, that function off their own caster level and ability modifier?

25. - Top - End - #955

Q382 (Mentalist's Handbook): Since the Wild Will boon can be taken more than once, can the benefits stack if the caster is targeting a creature that fits more than one chosen terrain? I would assume not, but I'd like to be sure.

Q383 (Mentalist's Handbook): The Chi Tracer tradition says it gains 1 + 1 bonus SP per 3 casting-class levels, but the math doesn't add up. The tradition has only two general drawbacks and a boon, so by the standard rules it should not get any SP. Is it intended to have other general drawbacks?

Q384: What sourcebook can the Rigorous Concentration drawback be found in?
    Last edited by TheIronGolem; 2017-11-21 at 01:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956

BardGuy

Q382 (Mentalist's Handbook): Since the Wild Will boon can be taken more than once, can the benefits stack if the caster is targeting a creature that fits more than one chosen terrain? I would assume not, but I'd like to be sure.

Q383 (Mentalist's Handbook): The Chi Tracer tradition says it gains 1 + 1 bonus SP per 3 casting-class levels, but the math doesn't add up. The tradition has only two general drawbacks and a boon, so by the standard rules it should not get any SP. Is it intended to have other general drawbacks?

A382: No, the benefits don't stack, tantalizing as that notion is.

I'm suddenly imagining a world where they did stack, though, and envisioning Drow with crazy-powerful spider-control techniques due to all the environments those things might be commonly found in. But alas, that isn't to be.

A383: No, it isn't intended to have any more; however, it *did* have more once upon a time. A few of its drawbacks were removed from the book, and while it looks like I successfully removed the references to the drawbacks, I didn't redo the math for the drawbacks gained. Sorry 'bout that!

27. - Top - End - #957

A382: No, the benefits don't stack, tantalizing as that notion is.

I'm suddenly imagining a world where they did stack, though, and envisioning Drow with crazy-powerful spider-control techniques due to all the environments those things might be commonly found in. But alas, that isn't to be.
    Cockroachomancers never advance beyond first level. Not because they can't, but because they don't see the need to.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Q385 When I use the portal advanced talent to create a portal under someone's feet, is there any save involved if I make the portal large enough? Say, a 60ft diameter portal with the target in the center, so they're at least 25 feet away from any edge? My DM thinks it's too strong to allow it without a save, so in lieu of any rules on the matter, I've suggested a reflex save followed by a standing jump check to make the distance to the edge?

29. - Top - End - #959

Daemon

Q386

Are there any plans to make an Illusion Talent similar to the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells? I know there's the double Touch Illusion talent but could there be something more potent as an Advanced Talent?
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Q386

Are there any plans to make an Illusion Talent similar to the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells? I know there's the double Touch Illusion talent but could there be something more potent as an Advanced Talent?
    With respect, I hope not. First things first, that level of open-endedness is always dangerous (it's why planar binding and summoning in general is go powerful), but it also goes against one of the core concepts of SoP: You only get what you pay for. A talent that lets you get extra talents, even reduced effectiveness versions of them, is antithetical to everything it stands for. Besides, in order to be faithful to the Vancian version, you'd need at least two if not three temporary talents (the base sphere and a form/blast type/blast shape) in the appropriate spheres, and you would be able to change which 2-3 each time you use it. I don't care if it's 3/4th CL, (or however you want to do the "only X% real" mechanic), that's too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.