New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You probably could, if you wanted them all to collide with each other and explode right next to you. Note that all missiles in the real world have their own propulsion systems too, but they still generally get launched from tubes or external hardpoints, not just dropped out the bomb bay and left to their own devices.
    The big difference being that missiles in the real world cannot levitate in midair/vacuum until it's time for them to being pursuing a target, I think.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-11-11 at 03:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The big difference being that missiles in the real world cannot levitate in midair/vacuum until it's time for them to being pursuing a target, I think.
    That and the small matter of terapedos - which this particular faction likely doesn't have.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That and the small matter of terapedos - which this particular faction likely doesn't have.
    Terapedoes don't even need to be dumped out the cargo bay, though, they can be precision transported from your ship to the enemy with no step in between--apart from everyone nowadays has TAD so terapedoes don't really work anymore, unless you use them to form a VDA like the Toughs do.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

And that's why that last impact was probably a teraport cage, so they can teraport on board. But with troops in this case I figure rather than with warheads.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And that's why that last impact was probably a teraport cage, so they can teraport on board. But with troops in this case I figure rather than with warheads.
    Yeap -- I expect that it's something Kevin and Putzho collaborated on after the last arc.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Terapedoes don't even need to be dumped out the cargo bay, though, they can be precision transported from your ship to the enemy with no step in between--apart from everyone nowadays has TAD so terapedoes don't really work anymore, unless you use them to form a VDA like the Toughs do.
    Or you can just teraport them to already fired somewhere, VDA style (but without everything else going on in the VDA).

7. - Top - End - #1027

BlackDragon

OK, after this current strip I am more convinced than ever that Chinook is the AI that is destined to end life in the galaxy in this cycle. She's clearly got a massive superiority complex, as we can see by her conviction that Iafa came up with the manoeuvre that neutralised Fangstorm, while Petey is equally convinced it was Tagon's idea. Chinook also has lots of long guns at her disposal and a hidden base of operations, so she has the means to start the galactic genocide as well.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

OK, after this current strip I am more convinced than ever that Chinook is the AI that is destined to end life in the galaxy in this cycle. She's clearly got a massive superiority complex, as we can see by her conviction that Iafa came up with the manoeuvre that neutralised Fangstorm, while Petey is equally convinced it was Tagon's idea. Chinook also has lots of long guns at her disposal and a hidden base of operations, so she has the means to start the galactic genocide as well.
    If her character hadn't already gone through the AI Insanity arc and come out the other side, I'd be more worried... I don't see Howard hitting that well twice with the same character.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

9. - Top - End - #1029

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    If her character hadn't already gone through the AI Insanity arc and come out the other side, I'd be more worried... I don't see Howard hitting that well twice with the same character.
    It's an entirely different *kind* of insanity we're talking here, though. Her original madness was due to being locked away for the AI equivalent of millions of years, whereas the new one is a straight God complex.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's an entirely different *kind* of insanity we're talking here, though. Her original madness was due to being locked away for the AI equivalent of millions of years, whereas the new one is a straight God complex.
    I still think the whole „goddess” thing is mostly tongue in cheek on Chinook's part.
    In this this case she's basically saying „Hey, I got those powers, so why shouldn't I use them?”

That she thinks it was Iafa's plan and not Tagon's isn't that worrying either.
    All that tells us is how she thinks about the two of them.

No, until she actually non-jokingly demands to be worshipped and reacts accordingly when refused I'm not not particularly concerned about her causing the end of the world(s).
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #1031

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    No, until she actually non-jokingly demands to be worshipped and reacts accordingly when refused I'm not not particularly concerned about her causing the end of the world(s).
    I think she's on a slippery slope to there right now, and I honestly don't think she *was* joking at any point in this strip.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think she's on a slippery slope to there right now, and I honestly don't think she *was* joking at any point in this strip.
    It might not be an either/or situation. She might go a little too far, which might alarm someone (perhaps herself), and be reeled back in a little. I don't have any idea what to expect.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Bugbear in the Playground

I still have no idea why they put Chinook/Tagii in charge of the station in the first place given she was an insane fragment inside Ennesby.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

14. - Top - End - #1034

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I still have no idea why they put Chinook/Tagii in charge of the station in the first place given she was an insane fragment inside Ennesby.
    Iafa was an even more insane AI when they originally found her, yet they're trusting their lives to her by having her run their flagship!

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I think the AIs made that decision themselves.

One of the unspoken terrible truths of the SM setting is that to some degree the AIs are allowing the organics to be in charge.

E: Something to keep in mind about that last panel -- the Cryptspiders aren't minions that she commanded, they're drones that she controls. Effectively, she went and fetched all that stuff herself. The finger snap was an affectation.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-11-12 at 09:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Re: The AIs allowing the organics to remain in charge: I think it's very telling, however, that most AI characters in this story carve out their own personal fiefdom (The P.D.'s territory around the galactic core, all onscreen battleplate intelligences, LOTA, the list goes on and on) and specifically refrain from taking over the galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

17. - Top - End - #1037

BlackDragon

It's cute that the giant green insect with serrated blades for legs thinks it needs to put some effort into looking scary!

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

It's cute that the giant green insect with serrated blades for legs thinks it needs to put some effort into looking scary!
    I don't know, it looks kinda cute.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, looks like this arc is sponsored by Michael Bay. Are these random explosions caused by a long gun? Is there some power working on engineering conflicts throughout the galaxy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So, looks like this arc is sponsored by Michael Bay. Are these random explosions caused by a long gun? Is there some power working on engineering conflicts throughout the galaxy?
    Yeah, looks like a plausible long gun to me, which may mean it actually isn't, you could get very similar results with sabotage.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #1041

BlackDragon

Well, if they *are* caused by long guns, we know of only two in-universe entities who possess them: Chinook and Lota. One assumes Petey could make them if he felt like it, but so far he's not shown any desire to do so.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if they *are* caused by long guns, we know of only two in-universe entities who possess them: Chinook and Lota. One assumes Petey could make them if he felt like it, but so far he's not shown any desire to do so.
    by now who knows who else figured out how to make them. The humans already had the rough idea long ago. They built Lota. There's also the Star-sphere AIs. Maybe they still want to start something. Or prevent something. It could be anyone.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Are these random explosions caused by a long gun?
    It looks like an Annie plant breach, as we've seen caused by breacher missiles. I don't see the typical last few hundred meters of the shot we often see with a long gun, but if the picture was taken slightly too late or someone learned to aim inside the structure it's entirely possible.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, actually Petey told Lota that he (Petey) would make his own long guns. He hasn't used them or advertised them because people are already nervous about him, but he has them. (2010-11-26 toward end of Massively Parallel)
    Last edited by Windscion; 2017-11-20 at 05:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Um, actually Petey told Lota that he (Petey) would make his own long guns. He hasn't used them or advertised them because people are already nervous about him, but he has them. (2010-11-26 toward end of Massively Parallel)
    We also know that the USN has their own as well now, they tested "Zeus" a while back now.

(Remember that Credomar was their invention, originally.)

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm having a really hard time following this storyline - because the SM site doesn't seem to want to load properly.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone exploded a thing in xenophobic kitten space. The doctor invited her sister? I think. To help. Now they're pretending that the sister is in charge so that they can legally help, and they're dealing with the inept militia the space kittens sent to persuade the Toughs to leave.

Meanwhile another thing exploded in space. Coincidence?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Part of me almost wants to pity the little kitty.
    Another part wants them to repeat the manoeuvre.
    Without the coat though.
    I'm sure his fur would make a pretty accessory for the „marshal's” uniform.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-11-26 at 12:41 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I'm having a really hard time following this storyline - because the SM site doesn't seem to want to load properly.
    Try switching from HTTP to HTTPS -- they upgraded the site security a while back. When I updated my bookmark my loading performance improved noticeably.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

I've noticed the site takes ages to load around the time a new strip gets uploaded, but I've always figured that was the site getting hammered by everyone trying to see the new strip.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.