New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1122 - The Discussion Thread

I wonder what level Kudzu is.

He's been with mommy through thick and thin and probably survived a couple encounters by now.

Maybe he's also a low level cleric with spells?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Clerics have decent will saves. Minrah passing her save is not unexpected. Hilgya tanking hers is, but bad rolls do happen.

GW
    Didn’t she say she only had 1 level of Cleric, and most of her levels were Fighter?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    What's interesting is that Hilgya got "swirly-eyed" but Minrah managed to make her save.
    Might be the luck of the dice, but if two rounds just elapsed (with Roy Full Attacking two spawn), that would only give Durkon* and Mace Chick time to whammie four characters. High Level PCs prioritized over low level cleric.
    Last edited by Connington; 2018-05-21 at 01:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    MINNAH made her save but Hylga couldn’t?

Dang, how bad do you have roll to flub one in your classes area of expertise? I mean “high level” clerics are supposed to be good at that, and she has a huge willpower to cast high level spells like we’ve seen her do.
    Yes, but also bad rolls do happen. I've no idea how to calculate the DC of this. The rules say "10 + the level of the spell (4 or 5?) + your bonus for the relevant ability (5-ish?)", but on the vampire page it tells me "caster level 12th", which doesn't seem to come into the calculation at all, and I wonder where I'm supposed to plug it in.

So lets say it's somewhere around DC20. A Cleric of level 16 will have about +5 from wisdom, and +10 from level, so anywhere between 1-4 (i.e. 20% chance) and she's dominated.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-21 at 01:52 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoo boy. I do wonder how Roy will get out of this one. Does the domination end if the vampires are killed?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #1122 - The Discussion Thread

durkula looks really happy AFTER the second cleric is (re)killed, that must have been when he succeeded in dominating hilgya.

also, it's amazing what basically a whole party of clerics can do. so much dispel magic!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    Oh dear...

This would be the worst possible time for V to get spirited away by the IFCC.

The question is if V will be gone for 3:06 or 20:35.
    I don't think that IFCC wants Hel's side to win.... they would probably like the Order to win today's fight.

However, I think that either V or Roy had prepared for this scenario. They know that Belkar have been dominated more then once, they know that magic can be dispelled. If there is a Wizard spell that can help, V have prepared it. If there is a magic wand that can help, Hailey could have bought it and have given to Roy. For example.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

For anyone wondering about why Bloodfeast the Exreaminator hasn't reverted, be aware he is still in a pocket dimension in a bag of holding.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Didn’t she say she only had 1 level of Cleric, and most of her levels were Fighter?
    I don't think that's correct. Aren't you confusing her with O'Chul (which started as a Fighter before becoming a Paladin)?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here is hoping V has Magic Circle vs Evil prepared.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Just when my heart falls for Hilgya, Durkon mind controls her! The only person who should be dominating Hilgya is me!

Maybe I should just go back to Jake (Malack).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

MINNAH made her save but Hylga couldn’t?
    Keep in mind, it's one domination attempt per round; it's not conclusive that Minrah's been targeted to make a save (yet). It's also possible Minrah wasn't in the targeted area of the dispelling barrage.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    I don't think that's correct. Aren't you confusing her with O'Chul (which started as a Fighter before becoming a Paladin)?
    While we don't have exact numbers, she was a guard before she was a cleric.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    For anyone wondering about why Bloodfeast the Exreaminator hasn't reverted, be aware he is still in a pocket dimension in a bag of holding.
    Thanks! I suppose that makes sense.
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't think it has to be that Minrah made her save but more that Durkula and Ponchita can only dominate one person at a time or that they specifically targeted those hit.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yes, but also bad rolls do happen. I've no idea how to calculate the DC of this. The rules say "10 + the level of the spell (4 or 5?) + your bonus for the relevant ability (5-ish?)", but on the vampire page it tells me "caster level 12th", which doesn't seem to come into the calculation at all, and I wonder where I'm supposed to plug it in.

So lets say it's somewhere around DC20. A Cleric of level 16 will have about +5 from wisdom, and +10 from level, so anywhere between 1-4 (i.e. 20% chance) and she's dominated.

Grey Wolf
    A cleric of level 16 should have at least a +8 to wisdom, due to a +6 from magic. Add that some resistance bonus; at level 16 you should have +5 resistance already, even in a low magic world like oots I expect at least a +3.
    A level 16 cleric shoulldn't fail such a saving throw except with a 1
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

By our calculations, Minrah is at least 5th level cleric, in order to have cast Searing Light

Grey Wolf
    SRD states that:

Special Attacks: A vampire retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Saves have a DC of 10 + 1/2 vampire’s HD + vampire’s Cha modifier unless noted otherwise.

So, assuming Greg is 15th level, his Dominate DC is 17+Cha modifier, which means 19, maybe 20.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not exactly. She said she "was a guard before [she] was a cleric", adding that she's "not the best caster". We don't know the exact breakdown of Minrah's levels, but she's not a straight-up cleric.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    I got to panel 15, and was thinking, "why does Durkula look so happy? He should be confused or distressed or something."
    Then I got to panel 16, and I was like "Oh. That's why."
    I did the same thing. The advantage to reading OOTS on a truly ancient laptop: it forces you to read one row at a time, which can sometimes work wonderfully to preserve last-panel surprises. (The disadvantage, of course, is that with multiple-page installments you will occasionally fail to notice that there's a second page at all and so click away thinking: "Huh. That was really a rather weak punchline.")

I suppose it would be too much to hope for that Hilgya, as a cleric of Loki, is actually faking those swirly eyes, wouldn't it. Yeah. Thought so.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, the joys of skewering vampires from across the room. Now Roy just has to figure out how to break the domination of his team and he'll have this fight in the bag. Or we could release Bloodfeast the Extreminator! Bloodfeast! Bloodfeast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    However, I think that either V or Roy had prepared for this scenario. They know that Belkar have been dominated more then once, they know that magic can be dispelled. If there is a Wizard spell that can help, V have prepared it. If there is a magic wand that can help, Hailey could have bought it and have given to Roy. For example.
    It's highly unlikely that Roy has any UMD ranks with which to use a wand. And they already went over their prepared resources for fighting mind control earlier, and Mind Blank was the only thing Vaarsuvius mentioned having.

If anything, I wonder if the best thing now wouldn't be for Roy and V to alpha strike Ponchula and the remaining lesser vampires, and hopefully free whichever party members they're currently dominating. Greg needs his standard action to keep trying to dominate everyone himself, so it'd be a losing battle if he ran out of minions.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I don't think it has to be that Minrah made her save but more that Durkula and Ponchita can only dominate one person at a time or that they specifically targeted those hit.
    She also could simply be facing the wrong way to make eye contact.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    A cleric of level 16 should have at least a +8 to wisdom, due to a +6 from magic. Add that some resistance bonus; at level 16 you should have +5 resistance already, even in a low magic world like oots I expect at least a +3.
    A level 16 cleric shoulldn't fail such a saving throw except with a 1
    Wouldn't she just have lost that +6 from magic from being dispelled? And evidence suggests that in OotS, characters do not just carry around +x saving throw items unless explicitly shown to have acquired them.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Not sure about the rules here but since you cannot hypnotize children or madmen then I can see why Kudzu is safe. Why Belkars ring stopped working is a bit of a mystery to me and how 1 vampire can dominate so many so easily seems a bit of a stretch. Still in it for the ride though. I am certain there are bound to be more thrills. I wonder what the limits are for commanding someone to do something under domination. I suppose we will find out soon enough. Roy may have to charge rather quickly and finish this fight off, but I seriously doubt that is going to be the way it works.

24. - Top - End - #54

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    Oh dear...

This would be the worst possible time for V to get spirited away by the IFCC.

The question is if V will be gone for 3:06 or 20:35.
    Actually, it might be the *best* time--if the charmed members of the Order and Hilgya all attack V., it could end up being an instakill, which would almost certainly be something the IFCC would not want, as it would destroy the value of their time shares. V. might well be soul sucked (probably for the shorter period) to keep V. invulnerable from all damage for a period. Roy is very resistant to all of the vampire attacks and has good saves and a pile of hit points for anything the others might pull (with the obvious exception of Hilgya, who I suspect will not be controlled for very long).
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricFellow View Post
    Not sure about the rules here but since you cannot hypnotize children or madmen then I can see why Kudzu is safe. Why Belkars ring stopped working is a bit of a mystery to me and how 1 vampire can dominate so many so easily seems a bit of a stretch.
    At least 2 have the glowing eyes. If they're acting immediately after Roy on the same round - then that gives them two shots - one after Roy's first throw, one after Roy's second throw.

If the vampire who is now behind Roy was doing it too, up to 6 people can have been dominated in those two rounds.

And they only need to have dominated the 4 we see with swirly eyes.

Probably Durkula and his right-hand woman dealt with Hilgya and Belkar, and the red-haired vampire dealt with Haley and Elan.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-21 at 02:29 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, it looks like The High Priest of Hel knows them well enough to know that would work.

Peelee’s Lotsey

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    While we don't have exact numbers, she was a guard before she was a cleric.
    Fair enoguh. I forgot about this line.

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    By our calculations, Minrah is at least 5th level cleric, in order to have cast Searing Light
    Are we sure she was the one casting searing light at Roy in 1093?

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    Also, as a person without 3.5 knowledge, I don't understand why Bloodfeast didn't get turned into a dinosaur. Can anybody explain?
    Bloodfeast is not a dinosaur-that-is-currently-kept-in-the-shape-of-a-lizard-through-magic. Bloodfeast is a lizard.

Polymorph and Baleful Polymorph transmute one thing into another. So there is no ongoing magical effect dispel magic to dispel or suppress.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Does this mean Haley will sneak attack V and shut hir off in 1 round? I'm afraid so

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't she just have lost that +6 from magic from being dispelled?
    A magic item has to be specifically chosen for a single-target dispel to be suppressed; area dispels only work on...well, spells. And owl's wisdom is only +4, so if a +6 is present it's almost certainly from a magic item (traditionally a +6 periapt of wisdom).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas