New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

No intelligence or con score. Bad stats. 15 construct RHD.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

-0 on psion killer, it has a lot going wrong and almost nothing going right

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Honestly, I'm strongly reminded of 4e's shardmind art here, just more buff. I guess there's only that many ways to draw crystalline psionic humanoids.
    That's giving the character designer too much credit. I don't see anything in the Psion-Killer that says "psionic," just "big crystal dude". Physically imposing, but not a scrap of psychic anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    A clear -0. I wish they kept 3.0 magic immunity, like the elh colossi. Needs to be more magic = nope, no workaround, critters imo.
    IMHO, the better solution would be to reduce the power of mages to the point that magic == nope creatures weren't needed.

Also being non Intelligent, and psions being int based, seems odd to send something braindead against likely the smartest person around. Quite a misnomer. You can beat it by turning a corner. Or with good ol' silent image or the like.
    Depends on the quality of the programmer.
    And there's something...literary about the concept of sending a mindless brute to destroy someone whose power comes from cunning. "There's no tactics for you to outwit, no enchantments for you to subvert, no loopholes to exploit. Just a hammer falling down on your head."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    That's giving the character designer too much credit. I don't see anything in the Psion-Killer that says "psionic," just "big crystal dude". Physically imposing, but not a scrap of psychic anything.
    I thought he was specifically referring to the picture?...

Depends on the quality of the programmer.
    And there's something...literary about the concept of sending a mindless brute to destroy someone whose power comes from cunning. "There's no tactics for you to outwit, no enchantments for you to subvert, no loopholes to exploit. Just a hammer falling down on your head."
    Ya that is pretty much what I was thinking...

5. - Top - End - #365

MindFlayer

"There's no tactics for you to outwit, no enchantments for you to subvert, no loopholes to exploit. Just a hammer falling down on your head."
    "So I Greater Teleport'ed to my private demiplane and nuked the golem and the surrounding ten miles to be safe"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    I thought he was specifically referring to the picture?...
    So was I.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    "So I Greater Teleport'ed to my private demiplane and nuked the golem and the surrounding ten miles to be safe"
    Never claimed the tactics were sound.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

The problem with sending a psion-killer out to kill somebody is that it's super dumb and limited, even for a mindless golem.
    Per the description, it can't (and doesn't) do anything without clear orders to do so, and it can only handle one relatively simple order at a time.
    Also, it allegedly can't use weapons even if explicitly ordered to do so.

So ... yeah. Save the money and buy some trained attack cats. They'll be more effective.
    Or, y'know, spend the money on a Planar Ally/Binding casting and negotiation, and get something genuinely useful.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Something showing that in this case the hammer wasnt big enough.
    Since it didnt walk though the nuke, and into your private demiplane.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Again, limited knowledge of psionics, but looks pretty straightforward.

15HD, unremarkable stats apart from Str +20, a bunch of immunities and resistances, and a special attack that is a spammable 3rd level spell (sorry, power)?

LA -0.

Just for my own use in future games as a DM, transparency would mean that it can dispel magic as well, right?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Just for my own use in future games as a DM, transparency would mean that it can dispel magic as well, right?
    Yes it can.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

That's correct.

Although since it's just normal Dispel and not the Greater version, the +10 limit on the dispel check hurts.
    Especially since it is a CR 12, and you need to have a manifester level of 16 or greater to make one in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yes it can.
    Just curious, your avatar strikes a resemblance to the Psion-Killer...

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Trivial -0. Nothing it has comes close to being worth 15 levels even ignoring the mindlessness.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

I'm looking forward to MMV because it has golems that might make the cut. A pile of terrible hit dice, bleh abilities. This thing would struggle to threaten a fighter, let alone a psion. -0

15. - Top - End - #375

Yup, -0 with no real debating. I'm wondering when we're gonna get to Libris Mortis or Incarnum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

16. - Top - End - #376

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Looking at the votes, it seems like people generally agree on what any given set of abilities should be rated, it's just that people base their ratings on 3-4 very different assumptions.

With that in mind, the psicrystal will get a LA of -0/+0, with the entry elaborating on those, to account for different versions of the crystal. I hope everybody can agree to this compromise, and that we can move on to the next monster.
    If it matters, I think LA -0* is the best representation of the consensus. I lobbied pretty hard for a minority opinion, but democracy is democracy: most people seemed to vote for LA -0 (with or without the asterisk), regardless of their starting assumptions, and the asterisk is just a precautionary measure, not a substantive change to the vote, so I'd personally be perfectly content to accept that.

Sorry if I'm (once again) taking debates further than people want them to go. I didn't mean to offend.

-----

Also, I vote LA-0 for the psion-killer.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Just curious, your avatar strikes a resemblance to the Psion-Killer...
    Well spotted!
    Its indeed one of the happy red crystal guys.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

These are one of those rare CR = HD monsters, aren't they? So by the opinions of the people who have voted, this would still suck even as a CR 15 monster, then?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

These are one of those rare CR = HD monsters, aren't they? So by the opinions of the people who have voted, this would still suck even as a CR 15 monster, then?
    No its only CR 12.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

No its only CR 12.
    True.

I would have some serious misgivings that this would present much of a challenge to even a slightly optimized ECL 12 party.

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    True.

I would have some serious misgivings that this would present much of a challenge to even a slightly optimized ECL 12 party.
    Also true. It sucks at level 12. On the other hand ... you could reasonably expect to see a single CR 12 starting around level 8 or so.

But on its own, the psion-killer is pretty crap, no question.
    On the other hand, the mere presence of one indicates that you're near something that a high level full manifester has an interest in, since the creator needs to be 16th or higher. So meeting one is still (probably) bad news at level 12. On the upside, the creator was dumb enough to build one.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    Yup, -0 with no real debating. I'm wondering when we're gonna get to Libris Mortis or Incarnum.
    I'm holding out hope for Savage Species.

-0, for all the reasons elaborated upon above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

True.

Its very few CR X things that present any sort of challenge to a level X party.
    Thats not how the system works. Its not like a Level 1 fighter presents a meaningful challenge to a level 1 party, where he is outnumbered 1 to 4.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Its very few CR X things that present any sort of challenge to a level X party.
    Thats not how the system works. Its not like a Level 1 fighter presents a meaningful challenge to a level 1 party, where he is outnumbered 1 to 4.
    How do you define "meaningful challenge", for that matter? I'm fairly sure equal-CR encounters mean "not a roflstomp" instead of "difficult".
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

How do you define "meaningful challenge", for that matter? I'm fairly sure equal-CR encounters mean "not a roflstomp" instead of "difficult".
    In this specific case, something that will on average consume 25% of the party's resources.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Monsters can get away with being beatsticks with a gimmick more than PCs can, and "I turn off your magic" is a pretty effective gimmick.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Puppeteer

I've actually had a player use one of those before. It went pretty well, if by 'well' you mean 'took over part of the globe'.

These charming (hah!) worms are Fine-sized magical beasts, whose 1/4th of a HD can be swapped out normally. Ability-wise they take a massive penalty to strength, but receive bonuses to dexterity, intelligence, charisma, and especially wisdom. Movement speed is terrible, their one natural attack sucks, and they definitely don't have limbs, but the special abilities definitely outweigh those disadvantages.

Said special abilities, roughly in order of desirability, are Hide Mind (immunity to divination spells that'd reveal you as psionic), 60 ft. Blindsight, 20 ft. Telepathy, some PLAs that we'll get to later, and finally Enthrall.

What does Enthrall entail? Well, it allows you to dominate any charmed creature you're in contact with. Additionally, orders that go against the victim's nature can't allow it to break free, and the entire effect is completely nonmagical. Furthermore, the puppeteer's Host Protection ability allows it to use its opponent's saves and gives ranged attacks against it a random chance to hit the host instead.

It's not entirely clear whether this effect ends when the underlying charm ends (as opposed to lasting as long as physical contact), but if it does then that's obviously a significant limiter on the power. You can get somewhat around this by just taking levels in a caster class (as you were probably going to do anyway) and manually using Charm powers, or (arguably) by taking Practiced Magic from the Shackled City hardcover and just augmenting your innate charms to last for days.

The SLAs are interesting but limited: 3/day Mental Barrier, Detect Psionics, and Psionic Charm have their uses (especially together with Enthrall), but aren't too impressive. The fixed CL of 1 doesn't help.

While Enthrall's wording isn't the clearest, the package of great mental boosts, Fine size, Telepathy, and a few nifty SLAs seems to justify a positive LA here. Sure, not having limbs sucks, but it sucks a lot less if you're going to be a caster and also get a dominated proxy body to stack your loot on.

Having reviewed community feedback, the LA shall be +2. DMs should keep Enthrall in mind, but it's not game-breaking to the extent that it needs an asterisk.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2019-08-16 at 02:59 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, because I suspect that the puppeteer is going to provoke quite a bit of debate and because it's a totally different monster, the Flesh Harrower variant will not be reviewed along with it.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

It's a 3/day save-or-die with a very very high DC(after point-buy), plus telepathy, great ability scores besides Strength, Fine size and Magical Beast type. Just the psi-likes would make it a +1, considering that's equivalent to (or better than) a level 1 Psion, but the rest of it pushes it to +2 in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    It's a 3/day save-or-die with a very very high DC(after point-buy), plus telepathy, great ability scores besides Strength, Fine size and Magical Beast type. Just the psi-likes would make it a +1, considering that's equivalent to (or better than) a level 1 Psion, but the rest of it pushes it to +2 in my opinion.
    Not going to fault the rest of your reasoning, but level 1 psion has the added benefit of giving you access to level 2 psion and so on. Given that caster power increases exponentially, and that most characters will be above level 1, that's actually pretty relevant.

Extended signature!