New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "I think we best try to get some sleep," Ciraneoth said, glad with the prospect of being out of the city at least for some time, "it's been a long day and night and there will be a couple more I guess, so we need every sleep we can get. Mister Vencarlo, do you have a spot where we can get a couple of hours of sleeps."
    'I could go for a nap.'

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

As for when we get back, are you taking pupils Maestro?

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Asthey discuss the details Vencarlo nods. "Aye please, I have chambers for students when they visit come, let me show you the way. Bring some wine and some cheese" he offers as they pass through the large well appointed kitchen where a stone lidded cool box holds a selection of wheels of creamy Varisian, local Korvosan and fiery Chelaxian cheese. Fresh bread is stacked nearby and his well appointed wine cellar is open to you as you can settle in. In the discussions Vencalro nods to Caassian, "In the morning, my servants some more will arrive. I can send them out, even if there are watchers my stable boys and maids go and come every day all day long to market, to armour smith, to weapon smith. No-one would be surprised."

At the mention of the training he tugs on one end of his moustache, a cuirous look on his face. "You would be a duelist eh? A diestro, dancer with the rapier?" he asks, glancing at the heavy bladed longswords that half the party seem to have. "We shall see, I cna give you some pointers..." he stops to laugh at his little pun, "We shall see. I am normally selective no, but if you have some skill I will gladly train you when you return."

---

The night passes and soon enough you can all blearily wake up to the usual bells tolling in the various churches across the city, the shouts from the docks and the crowing of chickens and roostser all over the city. Its a warm day for the Autumn and the weather ems humid and close with likley rain later, but nothing too awful for travelling. Within the manor you can hear the shouts and babble of a few of the kitchen staff hard at work n the kitchen although as you emerge Vencarlo can be heard shouting "2 of the guards off ill, how will I run the classes today with my arm in a sling eh?" you can't make out the response but by the laugh in return you guess it as something bawdy. Eventually Vencarlor comes to greet you, "Come, come, eat some breakfast, the bread and fish stew are fresh and you can then be away to the Shoanti and meet them at the Northgate Market market before they head out of Northgate
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the foil might be better for me, but yes. We seem to be getting in a lot of fights so mere tavern training can only go so far

+++++++++++++++

Morning:

Thank you Maestro, we ready?

She looks at Tiadoa, who they have done their best to look like Ciraneoth - of course their best isn't very good

Here take this she undoes the quiver and hands it and the bow to her

Do you have a spare foil we can use to complete matters please Maestro? Then I can get used to the feel of it before we return

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    None of us have Disguise I think but it is an untrained skill, it might not stand up to close scrutiny but the only idea for now is to fool anyone watching the house
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-05-15 at 11:58 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian busies himself writing a short letter to his grandfather, explaining that he will be out of town for a week or two attending to a personal matter, and that there's no need to worry. He also recommends a generous tip for the messenger.

When he's done, he seals it with hot wax and stamps it with his signet ring before handing it to whichever servant Vencarlo recommends for the job.

"You know the way to the townhouse of House Escalante, yes? Deliver this message quickly and discreetly to Lord Beldam or Sir Naxos and there'll be a generous reward for your services," he advises the messenger.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

As some of the others drape Cieranoth's long cloak over Tiadora and hang a bow and quiver on her shoulder and a sword at her waist Vencarlo heads into his armoury and returns moments later with a serviceable duelling foil which he hands to Winifred. "Just remember young Miss. The pointy end goes into the enemy.". As that is happening the servant talking to Cassian nods. "Yes Ser. I know where your manor is. I shall go staight there without delay."

Tiadora looks to them all, a tremble in her voice. ""Thank you. Thank you all so much for what are you doing. You are risking everything for me and I barely know you. Why are you doing this?". Standing nearby Vencarlo also nods, "I am curious as well. Cassian, Cieranoth, Winifred and Magister Andrei you are a disparate group. I cannot even fathom how you've come to be a travelling band helping Marshall Kroft."

They both look to the door and Tiadora looks at everyone waiting to see if everyone is ready.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"For my part it is simple. I am - or will be - a cataphract of Taldor. Honour demands that I protect the innocent and deliver justice if it is within my power. It shames me that I did not act sooner at the execution, but thanks to Blackjack you are out of the Queen's hands. Seeing you safely out of the city is the least I can do," Cassian answers Tiadora.

"As for why we four are operating together, that is either a matter of happenstance or fate, depending on what one believes in. We each had cause to seek revenge against a criminal by the name of Gaedren Lamm, and just before the King's death we were given the opportunity to deal with him once and for all. Once justice had been served, we found ourselves in the middle of the riots. One thing led to another and eventually we ended up in the Marshall's service - at least temporarily," he adds.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ettin in the Playground

'What ever else happens I rather like the idea of sticking a finger up to someone who seems as corrupt as the Queen does. We just have to try and stay alive in the process.'

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth will give his own cloak to make the disguise better. He will use the cloak they got from those spies the evening before so he has one to spare. He does keep his own sword, his shield with the symbol of Kurnous he can hand over as well, as that will also be quite noticeable. He will keep his own bow, as that's a special one, but for most outsiders it's just a bow and there are more people with one in the city.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, pays better than bussing tables and fewer pervs trying to feel you up.

Get to make interesting contacts

Plus you know, justice, morality and ****

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

As the dawn starts to break Cieranoth steals out of the manor dressed as a common servant with heavy sacks and a staff (bow) where he expects no-one to give him a second glance, the manors ad streets filled with servants rushing to and fro on their early morning chores. Not long after the party of 4, with a hooded and cloaked Ciernaoth emerge and stride purposefully through the slums of Old Korovsa and across the narrows heading to the grand square.

The slums are thick with people and shouts of people selling their wares, bustling woman with baskets of laundry heading down to the water and beggars crouched in alleys, many with hacking coughs, means the slums are lively as you push through them. Andrei, Cassian and Winifred are alert watching both streets and rooftops but notice nothing untoward as they cross the stone bridge over the bay and into Korvosa proper.

Reaching the grand square you can easily find the shoanti caravn. A dozen heavy wheeled high sided wagons line one side of the market. Guards of the Shon Quah with their faces painted white and long spears in hand watch the crowd keeping them back, even as they are watched by an even doze of the City Watch. There are some muted jeers and comments about "savages " and "barbarians" but not much more than comments although you get the impression that many are happy to see the Shoanti leave.

Reaching the third wagon in line you see Thousand Bones wrapped in a heavy cloak that appears to be mainly eagle and buzzard feathers hunched over watching the crowd. He nods with a smile at the part and motions for Cieranoth to get in the wagon. As the young artists does so she emerges a few minutes later in the soft moccasins and leather jumpsuit of a Shon Quah woman, her face daubed with red ochre and hair in a tight high braid. To many the braid and the red ochre is al they will see and a Shon Quah she is.

Thousand Bones looks down at the three of you (well 4 when Cieranoth joins some 15 minutes later after being booked for 2 more shifts. "Brothers not of my blood. Are you ready for us to leave the place. Aleardy we an feel the ancestors riding north through the sky realm. We must follow them."

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

Winifred nods,

Let us follow them then. Where would you have us take station?

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth quickly recovers his shield, just in case they will need it, and then is ready to go. He offers to be a scout or at least a guard on the trip, something he's quite good at as soon as they are outside of the city.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"As ready as we'll ever be, I think," Cassian answers Thousand Bones.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ettin in the Playground

'If anyone's actually following us it ought to be easier to notice them out here.'

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Tiadora is bundled into a wagon with high sides, a colourful collection of stitched furs and a host of other Shoanti woman inside. they bundle her in surrounding her offering comfort and safety in numbers. From the warm reception she seems to relax almost immediately following the initial look of panic as you approached the "savages" readying to leave the city. The rest of you begin walking alongside the Shoanti as with the skull face painted warriors leading at the front the crowd seems to melt away in front of you.

Following the wagons you approach the solid and towering grey stone walls of the city, guards formed up on the walls and manning the gates where long queues have formed as normal, the masses of people as ususal much heavier outside the walls where a shantytown of tents and wagons normally forms each night and clears during the days. As each o the wagons is waved through you breathe a sigh of relief as the guards wihilst checking the wagons do ony give a cursory glance at thos dressed like Shoanti, clearly hesitant to inquire too closely into those they deem savages. THe guards do however approach the 4 of you, a barked "You leaving fer good or returning? Why you travelling with these filthy savages?"

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Safety in numbers, my friend," Ciraneoth simply said, "there are bandits out there and these people are going the same way we are going, so it's safer to stay together. And we probably will be back at some point, although I can't say when that will be.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ettin in the Playground

Winifred says nothing and tries to look bored

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will add, 'My friend. If you had business outside the city you might do the same. I can certainly think of much worst people to be traveling with.'

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

The guards look at the party, only passingly glance at the Shoanti wagons unwilling to search them all before waving you through. “As you say. I’d wash the stench off first before you get back.” And soon enough the queue of Shoanti move through the yawning gate way through the 20ft thick arch

The slums and crowd outside the gate part as you begin to move slowly up the muddy road wading through ankle deep gloop that fills the deep ruts in the roadway. As you leave the city you notice how fresh the air smells now the stench of the city has gone.

Thousand bones calls you forward as you travel slowly away from the city winding northwards. “Brothers of the grey faces. We have left your Queen’s hunting grounds and have escaped. Will you journey with us to the clan grounds?”

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ettin in the Playground

That's mostly for the lady to decide brother

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, I don't believe we have any other engagements beyond the city walls, and returning quickly will seem suspicious, so for my part I will gladly come to see your lands," Cassian answers Thousand Bones.

Edit: Scratch the post. Cassian is on board with going back to Korvosa once Trinia is dropped off at Harse.
    Last edited by rax; 2023-06-02 at 09:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

Well we did have a place to go, it is up to her if she wants to go there however

Show
    post 1347

n the kitchen Miss Sabor and Vencarlo confer with the "patriots of Korvosa" eventually the pale young lady nodding. "Thank you so much. I owe you and Master Vencarlo everything. I cannot stay with the Shoanti though, they scare me. Master Vencarlo has a place for me. He has a friend waiting at Harse to the North West". Many of you know of Harse, a small Korvosan holding some 60 miles NW of korvosa is a narrow village on a strip of land between the Sarwin and Falcon rivers. Its a tiny place, more of a way station on the road to Varisia and Kaer Maga. Its only a few dozen buildings mainly catering to way side shops, stabling and cart tools and a pair of well known inns, the "Spotted Pony" and the "Nag's Bag", that help suport the bustling ferry service over the Sarwin or the Falcon depending if they are going north or north west.

Vencarlo looks serious. I shall be okay I'm sure. With no evidence I'm noble enough to to not be vanished away and I have many friends at court. But take her, I know its a long walk but I can have a cart ready for you at Triott's Inn" (you know its a small inn some 12 miles from the city that people use if they arrive late after the gates have closed) "And when you return I will pay you handsomely. The roads are reasonable in the Autumn and you should you be back within the week I'd wager." At 20 miles a day travelling (slow walking pace), you should be back within 7-8 days assuming a rest day in the middle.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    I think in my mind I read Thousand Bones' question as being about what we were going to do once we'd dropped of Trinia, but I'd honestly forgotten that we'd more or less settled on going back to Korvosa once we'd dropped her off.

I'm too tired to change my post now. I'll see about editing it tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Ah yes, Miss Sabor has made it clear that she wishes for us to deliver her safely to Harse. After that, it would be for the best if we four return to the city. But, I fear that things may get out of hand sooner rather than later. Perhaps then we will need to take you up on your generous offer, Thousand Bones," Cassian replies after Winifred's reminder.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ettin in the Playground

Well she was worried about you all before she met you, but I think she's now happy and grateful but will still prefer to go to Harse
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-06-02 at 09:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

The shoanti wish you well later the day as they pass by Trotts in and the four of you and Tiadora step inside the busy wayside inn. Mainly a large floored wooden barn with rooms for travelers on the upper 2 levels, a raucous hall lined with tables and a large bar on the ground and series of stables surrounding a courtyard jammed with wagons its a chaotic scene. A small flute band, a harpist and a bard all share the space competing with the noise from farmers and merchants stopping here as its too late in the day to reach Korosa proper.

With the press of people its easy to find and grab one of the horse boys outside. At mention of a wagon for Vencarlo he nods and shows you to a small plain wagon, open topped but piled high with aw water barrel, straw for the two well cared horses, a trio of small 2 person wax sealed canvas tents and some provisions (including a small barrel of the local dark ale.) The appearnce of the Shoanti attracts some attention and you can see tensions rising, but thats settles as its clear the Shoanti aren't looking to stay or enter the inn. Thousand Bones wishing you all well, "You have earned place as friend amongs the Quah. Know you thath shall you need it you will be welcome at our fires" he offers before the wagon train slowly moves Northwards.

Tiadora stays with you, wrapped in a pain homespun woolen shawl now rather than Shoanti garb to blend in here. A few folk look at Cieranoth, and once a stable boy reaches up and touches one os his ears before darting off to the laughs of his fellow youths but nothing more harmful than that. Settling at a table, for a silver shilling you get food and drink for the 5 of you. Tiadora keeping her hood up nd head down, "Do we stope here for the ight and start in the morning or go now and camp by the road?" she asks.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we should put as big a distance between ourselves and Korvosa as possible

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I agree," Ciraneoth said, still a bit annoyed at the children. While children for elves, who have so few, are precious, he doesn't really like being stared at, and even less being touched... at least in that way. And he was more at home in the forest anyway.
    "We can buy some extra food here so we don't need to find our own, but I think we best get on our way. It's easy to find someone in an inn like this, but in a large forest. Good luck."

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Stopping only long enough to eat and use what may be the last seated facilities for several days you are soon the road, the clip of the horse hooves on the hard packed gravel and mud of the trail competing with the crunch and squeak of the wooden solid wheel and the not overly oiled axle bearing. You know that the road North is long and winding, passing through the edges of the Varisian wilds as you leave the Korvosan hinterlands and into the wilderness. Most of you aware that "old Trotts" was probably as far out as many of the standard Korvsan patrols would go.

The afternoon is easy, a slow pace with both horses keeping the wagon moving steadily and only twice did people have to dismount to pull fallen logs out the way or push the heavy contrapation out of a particularly deep rut. The weather is nice for the autumn, the clouds high and light meaning there is a hint of warmth in the sun and visibility is good. To the very north, visible as a smear on the horizon is the imposing wall of the Storval Plateau.

OOC
    Please can I have an easy (+20) handle animal or similarcheck for whoever is driving the wagon
    Awareness checks all round please

And some dice rolls feel free to ignore (5d100)[60][15][95][81][4](255)