New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: TaiLiu's Awkward Random Banter Thread #245

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Bah. I don't know why you have to be royalty to meet with dragons. It's quite unfair.
    Nononono, you don't have to be royalty to meat with dragons. The lower rungs of the aristocracy are fine.

Also it just occurred to me that D&D tends to use French for knightly classes, with the two main ones being the Paladin and Cavalier. I'm not sure why that is, maybe just because Americans think of the French as fancy rather than depraved. Oh don't look at me like that, the French give as good as they get when we Roast Beef are in town.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Bah. I don't know why you have to be royalty to meet with dragons. It's quite unfair.
    It goes in the other direction, actually. Dragons confer nobility onto maidens.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Nononono, you don't have to be royalty to meat with dragons. The lower rungs of the aristocracy are fine.

Also it just occurred to me that D&D tends to use French for knightly classes, with the two main ones being the Paladin and Cavalier. I'm not sure why that is, maybe just because Americans think of the French as fancy rather than depraved. Oh don't look at me like that, the French give as good as they get when we Roast Beef are in town.
    Well, it's a cavalier, not a chevalier. The former is English (in word and historical context). Paladin is definitely French though, it's an explicit reference to Charlemagne's paladins. I think TSR just thought it sounded cool lol.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I think TSR just thought it sounded cool lol.
    So did the Age of Empires II team.

I now have two completely-incorrect definitions running around in my head -- a holy sword-and-board magical knight, and the best-in-class heavy melee unit in Imperial Age.

Sorry Charlemagne

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's a cavalier, not a chevalier. The former is English (in word and historical context). Paladin is definitely French though, it's an explicit reference to Charlemagne's paladins. I think TSR just thought it sounded cool lol.
    I always assumed the cavalier was an anglicised version of chevalier, but I shpuld probably check that. (Turns out it's not, but it's also only indirectly to do with knights.) I believe Paladin is used because tyhe class was based on a book which used the word Paladin? I'm honestly unsure now.

All I remember about the actual Paladins is that they were like the Knights of the Round table, but there were only twelve of them and the lived in France instead of Cornwall. So they must have all been like mega-Galahads.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's a cavalier, not a chevalier. The former is English (in word and historical context).
    Cavalier is French for "horse-rider", my friend. Like you English, could come up with military lingo on your own.

"Paladin" means "of the Palace" and historically refers to the companions/trusted lieutenants at least since Charlemagne. Newspaper called Bismarck one of Wilhem I's paladins at the time.
    By now, the word is mostly associated with magic warrior-monks because of D&D, though.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I always assumed the cavalier was an anglicised version of chevalier, but I shpuld probably check that. (Turns out it's not, but it's also only indirectly to do with knights.) I believe Paladin is used because tyhe class was based on a book which used the word Paladin? I'm honestly unsure now.

All I remember about the actual Paladins is that they were like the Knights of the Round table, but there were only twelve of them and the lived in France instead of Cornwall. So they must have all been like mega-Galahads.
    I was once persistently asked whether I was a Cavalier or a Roundhead, I thought it was some strange political thing, turned out he was asking whether I was circumcised.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I was once persistently asked whether I was a Cavalier or a Roundhead, I thought it was some strange political thing, turned out he was asking whether I was circumcised.
    I mean, it's also technically a political thing, but like centuries out of date. Cavalier=Royalist, Roundhead=Parliamentarian, and that's as far as I'll go on that.

The circumcision thing is one I've only heard of online, probably because of how rare it is over here (I don't know anybody IRL who I can say for certain is a Roundhead). Or maybe the fact that nobody was actually naked when changing for PE in school, except for swimming which stopped when we were like 12, who knows. It's a really weird thing to insist on asking someone though, even if you're planning on sleeping with someone does the presence of lack of a foreskin really matter?

(Let's skip the thorny issue of FGM for the moment, as the analogous variety is I believe by far the least practiced.)

Show

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Cavalier is French for "horse-rider", my friend. Like you English, could come up with military lingo on your own.
    I'm aware of the etymology, but what I mean is "Cavalier" was used as a political term in England for loyalists to...Edward II I think?

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

I'm aware of the etymology, but what I mean is "Cavalier" was used as a political term in England for loyalists to...Edward II I think?
    Charles I.

Show

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I mean, it's also technically a political thing, but like centuries out of date. Cavalier=Royalist, Roundhead=Parliamentarian, and that's as far as I'll go on that.

The circumcision thing is one I've only heard of online, probably because of how rare it is over here (I don't know anybody IRL who I can say for certain is a Roundhead). Or maybe the fact that nobody was actually naked when changing for PE in school, except for swimming which stopped when we were like 12, who knows. It's a really weird thing to insist on asking someone though, even if you're planning on sleeping with someone does the presence of lack of a foreskin really matter?

(Let's skip the thorny issue of FGM for the moment, as the analogous variety is I believe by far the least practiced.)
    This one's always weird to think about. Because my home country is very prudish in many ways, yet our school locker rooms and showers were always communal. You always knew exactly who was a, erm, "Cavalier" or "Roundhead".

I think the cultural fixation on it and stigma around being uncircumcised is fading, but it's absolutely been the norm until at least recently. Couldn't imagine making a decision about sleeping with someone based on that alone.

Overheard a conversation between two cis women recently as they were discussing the merits of circumcision for their kids -- it was very strange to hear the misconceptions they had (lots of cultural baggage over here about the necessity & benefits of the process). Thought about chiming in, but I decided interrupting a conversation to um-actually people with information about my genitals was a losing play.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2023-07-07 at 01:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I got to play tennis three times over the weekend, had forgotten how much I liked it! Thankfully there's an abundance of courts nearby...as long as they don't all get converted into pickleball courts

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    This one's always weird to think about. Because my home country is very prudish in many ways, yet our school locker rooms and showers were always communal. You always knew exactly who was a, erm, "Cavalier" or "Roundhead".
    Yeah, the UK is kind of stuck between America and Europe in terms of prudishness. People who did team sports at school probably had a better idea, and how much people are willing to be naked around others varies (I'm mostly fine with it, most of my friends wouldn't go beyond underwear even for close friends).

I can make a pretty good guess about a couple of my friends, mostly due to an unrelated incident

I think the cultural fixation on it and stigma around being uncircumcised is fading, but it's absolutely been the norm until at least recently. Couldn't imagine making a decision about sleeping with someone based on that alone.
    Meanwhile I've probably noticed and participated in a stigma towards circumcision, just because it's so unusual here

Overheard a conversation between two cis women recently as they were discussing the merits of circumcision for their kids -- it was very strange to hear the misconceptions they had (lots of cultural baggage over here about the necessity & benefits of the process). Thought about chiming in, but I decided interrupting a conversation to um-actually people with information about my genitals was a losing play.
    Urgh. Like at the end of the day it's mostly an aesthetic decision. Like there are apparently minor benefits and drawbacks but nothing really worth worrying about. The misconception that really annoys me is the idea that once erect you can't tell the difference, you can even for the shortest foreskins I've seen.

Yeah for some reason that annoys me more than the 'foreskin=dirty penis' one

Show

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Colossus in the Playground

Can we talk about something else please?

Uh...

There is now canonically a magical girl version of Venom... By which I mean she styles herself as a magical girl but she still employs ultra-violence and eats her enemies.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Uh...

There is now canonically a magical girl version of Venom... By which I mean she styles herself as a magical girl but she still employs ultra-violence and eats her enemies.
    Isn't that standard for magical girl shows? I'm not really into anime /j

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that standard for magical girl shows? I'm not really into anime /j
    It's a common subversion popularized by Madoka Magika, and arguably more common NOW than playing the genre straight, but no.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Uh...

You wanted to replace the discussion with something even more unsettling?

Isn't that standard for magical girl shows? I'm not really into anime
    Eating their enemies? No.

Ultra violence? In magical girl land 'befriend' means 'to strike with beam weaponry that would destroy a Gundam'.

Show

18. - Top - End - #1488

You wanted to replace the discussion with something even more unsettling?
    I'm American, violence is normal, frank discussions of sexual anatomy are not.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome. Comic book ridiculousness as its best.

as for whether the ultra-violence is standard....well. traditional magical girl fighting tactics are "Step one: shoot love/heart beam of justice to purify the evil. step two: win" but as the genre got.....older more darkened and as people tried new things, other methods have crept in. ultra-violence is one of them.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-07-07 at 03:43 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

I'm American, violence is normal, frank discussions of sexual anatomy are not.
    Well I'm not discussing Frank's sexual anatomy, so they should be fine

The discussion had petered out anyway

Awesome. Comic book ridiculousness as its best.

as for whether the ultra-violence is standard....well. traditional magical girl fighting tactics are "Step one: shoot love/heart beam of justice to purify the evil. step two: win" but as the genre got.....older more darkened and as people tried new things, other methods have crept in. ultra-violence is one of them.
    Well it's a large genre, it's going to have a lot of variation. The issue is less with shows like Madoka existing and more with them becoming the Watchmen of their genres (i.e. it's the most superficial aspects that were copied). Fate/Zero didn't cause anywhere near the stir in it's genre because the similar descendent into grimness is expected.

I once put in a YouTube comment what I think is the issue with follow the leader media: The Killing Joke ending was the author asking you to respond to it, not asking you to retell it. The successor to Puella Magi Madoka Magica isn't going to be a grim magical girl show that copies it, it's going to be a happy or melancholic or philosophical magical girl show that like Madoka takes some ideas and runs with them until they've presented the author's argument.

I've been playing a lot of Wrath of the Righteous lately, and to me it feels more like a third Dragon Age game than Inquisition did. Partially because it takes the same rough setup as DA:O did (a big invasion of Supernatural Evil Guys in a poorly disguised D&D setting) and then runs with different ideas. Like in Origins you're the big hero uniting everybody together and being awesome, but through both the PC and Galfrey you start to see the issues with that, what happens when you unintentionally challenge the command structure, and the morality of using power you stumble into.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1491

Uh...

I was anticipating you talking about Necroko. I adore her, myself.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It goes in the other direction, actually. Dragons confer nobility onto maidens.
    Oh, well, makes sense. That seems the most reasonable way to bequeath nobility, all things considered.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #1493

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I was anticipating you talking about Necroko. I adore her, myself.
    I don't kno what's more interesting: The fact that she knows what a Spider-Man costume looks like enough to draw one despite the fact that th elocal spider-person only just got bitten... Or the fact hat Parker Piper very clearly has a crush on her violent savior.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

... So that bit about dragons conferring nobility just helped me decide where one of the competing gods of death came from in my fantasy world.

It's strange how ideas/thoughts can fix other problems in your story that initially seem completely unconnected.

Spoiler
    Show
    That whole bit about dragons conferring nobility gave me the idea to have dragons in Lightbringer confer nobility to the Primal families. Which made me think of the moment their god, Volk, "dies" in a rebellion begun by the Primal, and how that would lead to a massive shock to the natural order (because when gods are murdered, rather than dying 'naturally', **** goes bad. The moon used to be covered in life and weather was predictable before Luna was killed). So then I thought, 'hey, I don't know currently why Nox doesn't exist until he arbitrarily does, so what if killing the god of war and murder leads to the release of the god of inevitability and death?'

Primal lands are also full of horrific monsters and so giving the royalty access to dragon mounts (wyvern mounts? young drakeling mounts maybe?) would both be very cool and fit. And it might help explain why they were able to kill their god... or at least why they thought they had a chance.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, well, makes sense. That seems the most reasonable way to bequeath nobility, all things considered.
    Oh, so suddenly we're not okay with fairies in lakes handing out swords as the arbitrators of social class? Some people have respect for tradition...

Show

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Exactly! Beautiful maidens spend time with us, they get to be a princess. And the bona fides are impressive:

"I'm nobility now!"
    "Oh yeah? Says who?!?"
    "This titanic ice-breathing flying armored majestic creature who can crush you and your kingdom like a bug."
    "So, about the specs for your castle...."
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    ... So that bit about dragons conferring nobility just helped me decide where one of the competing gods of death came from in my fantasy world.

It's strange how ideas/thoughts can fix other problems in your story that initially seem completely unconnected.

Spoiler
    Show
    That whole bit about dragons conferring nobility gave me the idea to have dragons in Lightbringer confer nobility to the Primal families. Which made me think of the moment their god, Volk, "dies" in a rebellion begun by the Primal, and how that would lead to a massive shock to the natural order (because when gods are murdered, rather than dying 'naturally', **** goes bad. The moon used to be covered in life and weather was predictable before Luna was killed). So then I thought, 'hey, I don't know currently why Nox doesn't exist until he arbitrarily does, so what if killing the god of war and murder leads to the release of the god of inevitability and death?'

Primal lands are also full of horrific monsters and so giving the royalty access to dragon mounts (wyvern mounts? young drakeling mounts maybe?) would both be very cool and fit. And it might help explain why they were able to kill their god... or at least why they thought they had a chance.
    Happy to be of service!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-07-07 at 06:00 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

roof dad got laid

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, so suddenly we're not okay with fairies in lakes handing out swords as the arbitrators of social class? Some people have respect for tradition...
    No, because I am a fairy, and thus know my judgement sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Exactly! Beautiful maidens spend time with us, they get to be a princess. And the bona fides are impressive:

"I'm nobility now!"
    "Oh yeah? Says who?!?"
    "This titanic ice-breathing flying armored majestic creature who can crush you and your kingdom like a bug."
    "So, about the specs for your castle...."

Happy to be of service!
    Ah, dang, the qualifier is beautiful maidens. So close.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2023-07-07 at 06:09 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, so suddenly we're not okay with fairies in lakes handing out swords as the arbitrators of social class?
    Where do you think the fairy got the sword?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

No, because I am a fairy, and thus know my judgement sucks.
    I'll take you to meet some English lords sometime, you'll see that good judgement isn't really part of the job requirements

Also I'm sure we can round up some lesbians and settle this 'is DataNinja beautiful' thing once and for all!

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Where do you think the fairy got the sword?
    Dwarves, the same place as dragons do. While some dragons are really good at keeping the furnace hot they kind of struggle to hold the hammer...
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2023-07-07 at 06:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll take you to meet some English lords sometime, you'll see that goid judgement isn't really part of the job requirements
    " goid "
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.