New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Favorite Common Magical Item?

Just scrolling through a list and I am a bit underwhelmed. Not mad, these things are common. A Tankard of Sobriety maybe combined with Perfume of Bewitching could be useful.

I think some Walloping Ammo might be the choice. It WILL be handy eventually, makes recovering arrows important and isn't DM dependent.

U all ever made any good use of anything on the list?
    Last edited by MarkVIIIMarc; 2024-05-08 at 01:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Common Magical Item?

Haven't actually used one myself in play, but a moon-touched sword is neat since, while it receives no bonuses to combat, it is still a magic weapon and thus bypasses resistance to non-magical damage.
    The pot of awakening is another item I'd love to see in play. Unfortuantely, none of the campaigns I've played in had the party stay in one place long enough.
    Last edited by Dualight; 2024-05-08 at 01:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruby of the warmage is fairly handy for Gish types. Makes your weapon also a spell casting focus.

I feel like anyone should be able to find creative and fun uses for 1/day Disguise Self from a Masquerade Tattoo.

A Tankard of Plenty (fills with 3 pints of good dwarven ale 3/day) is great in the hands of the right character (drunken fist monk)
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2024-05-08 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You can never give me enough potions of healing.

Other than that, i'm rather partial to beads of nourishment, mystery keys and the odd enduring spellbook
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I like the hat of wizardry, I love the classic wizard aesthetic that it brings, being able to once a day cast whichever cantrip you like is handy and it's nice to have a focus that doesn't require hands. Now granted this'll probably be the first thing you unattune to once you have enough magic items for attunement slots to matter, but still for an early game wizard (or I guess a mid game wizard with very few magic items) this is nice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Recently wrapped up a campaign in our homebrew setting in which my PC, an illithid (not generally evil in said setting), owned a Bottle of Boundless Coffee. (I believe it's from the Strixhaven book.) It was fun to play this serious, deadpan, monstrous-looking alien thing musing at people over telepathy while simultaneously drinking coffee by levitating it out of a bottle as if through an invisible straw. We also had another PC who was basically a rambunctious child, so my character eventually deciding the kid had grown enough to be able to handle coffee made for a fun character moment later on.

And that's what common magic items are for, for the most part: they're meant to be fun opportunities for character expression, not necessarily a combat advantage except maybe in some niche circumstances. Though there are a couple slightly stronger ones like common scrolls, spellwrought tattoos, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Cloak of Billowing.

I need to look dramatic, even when the wind doesn't want to play ball.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Cloak of Billowing.

This is a great answers, a staple alongside the Cloak of Many Fashions. However, both of these pale in front of the majesty that is the Doublet of Dramatic Demise.

In nitty-gritty campaigns a single Everbright Lantern can provide a ton of reliable utility compared to torches or regular lanterns.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Anytime I'm allowed to take a common magical item, I always pick Mystery Key

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Cloak of Billowing.

The only correct answer.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

My tropics-loving octopus-person was very pleased to have a thermal cube in the frozen north.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by emyrion View Post
    This is a great answers, a staple alongside the Cloak of Many Fashions.
    The monk in our Salt Marsh campaign still uses hers to be appropriately dressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    Anytime I'm allowed to take a common magical item, I always pick Mystery Key
    My faves are:
    Cloak of Many Fashions
    Moon Touched Sword
    Staff of Birdcalls - the druid in our Salt Marsh campaign is still using this, and we are well into Tier 3.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    I like the hat of wizardry, I love the classic wizard aesthetic that it brings, being able to once a day cast whichever cantrip you like is handy and it's nice to have a focus that doesn't require hands. Now granted this'll probably be the first thing you unattune to once you have enough magic items for attunement slots to matter, but still for an early game wizard (or I guess a mid game wizard with very few magic items) this is nice.
    Not only does it give you the benefit of a once-per-day flexible cantrip - the hat obviously exudes an aura of high fashion! I second this item, very handy for a low-level wizard.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm a big fan of the Staff of Adornment.
    A torch/candle/lamp, a bell, and an hourglass all spinning on the top of my staff? Don't mind if I do!
    Last edited by Nod_Hero; 2024-05-19 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added cool

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mechanically I love the Moon-Touched Sword.

For one that's pure flavor, I love the Dread Helm.
    If a Player's fun comes from picking the "right" options, but they respect the table, that's fine. Let the Optimizers and Power Gamers have their fun. It's the Power Creeps who lack Table manners.

I'm the Knuckle!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Next time I DM we're giving out more common items than +1s lol.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like finding ways to violate the laws of physics w/ unbreakable arrows

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    My tropics-loving octopus-person was very pleased to have a thermal cube in the frozen north.
    Gonna second the thermal cube. Fun with thermodynamics is always entertaining and...who doesn't like staying warm?
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I'll second the Ruby of the War Mage for a gish, but it does quickly outlive the attunement slot it uses.

It's situational, but the cast-off armor can be a life-saver; being able to don or doff plate mail in a single action makes late-night ambushes less scary, and can be key when hit with a Heat Metal spell, or thrown off a ship. If you've got otherwise non-magical armor, it's always better to have this option than not. Crafting common items is cheap and fast enough, I've justified having the entire elite Royal Guard of a kingdom outfitted with this.

A scroll or Spell Tattoo with a Light spell, or a Minor Illusion, can be a great thing to have in your back pocket.

I think there's potential utility in the Collapsible Pole; expand from 1 foot to up to 10 with a command word, to block doors or span pit traps or poke at sketchy things from a distance, or whatever. I've neve actually used one in-game, though.

There were some cool things in the Eberron book; I liked having the retractable armblade on my warforged rogue, but again, that's pretty situational.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manuel View Post
    being able to don or doff plate mail in a single action makes late-night ambushes less scary, and can be key when hit with a Heat Metal spell, or thrown off a ship.
    Not to nitpick, but you can't don the Cast-Off Armor as an action, that still takes the full amount of time.
    If a Player's fun comes from picking the "right" options, but they respect the table, that's fine. Let the Optimizers and Power Gamers have their fun. It's the Power Creeps who lack Table manners.

I'm the Knuckle!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Droningbass View Post
    Not only does it give you the benefit of a once-per-day flexible cantrip - the hat obviously exudes an aura of high fashion! I second this item, very handy for a low-level wizard.
    Wizard in my campaign wanted one of these. I found a cheap wizard's hat online and bought it. Then I spelled out "WIZZARD" in rhinestones on it, and gave it to him to wear. He wore it that day to pick up the pizza.

It will always be my favorite common magic item.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc