New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF III

Bear eyes the spirit. He might have been willing to consider it under the right sort of restrictions. But a spirit so connected to the internet would be basically impossible for the pack to monitor for misbehavior... "We'll see, right now let's make do with what can be done from here."

"There is one other matter. It seems that you are effectively the Idigam's bane, or at least the bane for its immediate servants. Raw information, data, can be used against it."

Bear pauses for a moment before continuing, "What sort of data is most effective, or if it even matters, is not clear. It might be prudent to try an experiment of sorts before relying on this."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "Any actions taken in your realm would slowly reach me, I suppose," Databolt replies slowly, "But I would be much faster if I had access to your new security systems on your side of the Gauntlet... if you would be willing to let me come over!" There was greed in the spirit's suggestion, a primitive terrible greed. The Gauntlet existed specifically to keep the Shadow and the Flesh apart, and in general the Uratha worked to maintain this order. Mayhem often ensued when spirits were allowed on the other side of the barrier, as they sought untapped creation of Essence, mucking around in a reality they could never understand and did not belong to... That said, Data did make a point...

(OOC: As an aside, please let me know if you don't remember what Blaze discovered about the Idigam's bane, as this was also why Bear was seeking out spirits like ATANT and Data)

Hawk grins at Joanna's first question. "Yes," she replies, a smug grin on her lips. To the second question she says, "That is correct. Otherwise your friend Blaze wouldn't have called on us. I guess we are gonna help with your initiation tonight. Hope you aren't too nervous."

When Blaze arrives, Snow steps in front of his companion in an almost protective gesture. Tilting his head cautiously he asks, "You Blaze?" Introductions between Uratha who had never met were always a little tense, as lupine instincts kicked in, each werewolf sensing the urge to impress or dominate the other. And of course, Snow and Hawk were in the Anchor Wolves' territory, adding to the discomfort.
    Blaze
    "Hey man, yeah, that's me," Blaze replied, "And I try my best to live up to my name. Y'all wanna smoke a bowl before or after the ritual? Before might help take the edge off if you know what I mean, but after could be kinda like a celebration, and those are always lit."
    He grinned knowingly.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear eyes the spirit. He might have been willing to consider it under the right sort of restrictions. But a spirit so connected to the internet would be basically impossible for the pack to monitor for misbehavior... "We'll see, right now let's make do with what can be done from here."
    "Very well," the spirit says, its voice belying disappointment, the glow from its monitor dimming slightly.

But the spirit reacts strongly when Bear starts talking about the Idigam again. Its entire corpus quavers, causing the many extending cables to rattle against the stone floor. In disbelief Data asks, "I am its Bane? What do you mean? How do you know this?" The monitor is awash with flashing numbers and letters and sigils of the First Tongue, creating a washing static of nonsense. "I am a spirit of knowledge! I have very limited abilities in fighting other spirits; that is now how I survive." Bear's question seems to focus the shaking spirit. The information crawling across its screen focuses, dissolving into images of various forms of technology which flash and fade across the screen. "There is no best form of data. Information is information. But if the Idigam is TRULY susceptible to attacks using information related Essence, well there are likely many ways you could hurt it... depending on which side of the Gauntlet it is on, and... who your allies are."

"Nice to meet ya," Hawk mutters, before hastily introducing herself and Snow. She chuckles at his offer and says, "Maybe after we get the ritual done. After that we won't have much to do other than wait and watch as the pup does her thing." Snow nods his head at this, a smirk on his face.

The latter speaks up, his voice deep but tight, as if the act of forming words is painful. "Have you got things mostly set up," he asks, "we brought a few things that might help with the ritual."

(OOC: Happy to let RP play out if you want to get to know these Uratha or pursue some other avenue, otherwise, happy to move things on to the ritual)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

Hawk grins at this, but nods her head towards Blaze. "Ask your Ithauer friend," she says, her husky voice filled with amusement though there is something judgmental crawling through it as well.
    Joanna holds back the urge to roll her eyes. 'Meaning no rules. Got it. What about Red Wolf then. I didn't know someone like that would just show up when we asked.'

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

'Meaning no rules. Got it.'
    It is actually Hawk who rolls her eyes at this. She gives Blaze a glance that says, 'you deal with this', but says nothing. But Joanna's question about Red Wolf brings a smug smile to the woman's face. "We will summon it... or a part of it anyways," she says in a patronizing tone, like she were explaining how things worked to a child. Though she adds more thoughtfully, "Every time Sagrim Ur appears to us in a slightly different form. The Red Wolf's avatars are as ever changing as the realms of both Flesh and Shadow." This sounded like a very 'Iron Masters' thing to say, though of course it was hard for Joanna to really know yet.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

It is actually Hawk who rolls her eyes at this. She gives Blaze a glance that says, 'you deal with this', but says nothing. But Joanna's question about Red Wolf brings a smug smile to the woman's face. "We will summon it... or a part of it anyways," she says in a patronizing tone, like she were explaining how things worked to a child. Though she adds more thoughtfully, "Every time Sagrim Ur appears to us in a slightly different form. The Red Wolf's avatars are as ever changing as the realms of both Flesh and Shadow." This sounded like a very 'Iron Masters' thing to say, though of course it was hard for Joanna to really know yet.
    "Yeah man, good times," Blaze said as he tucked the weed back into his jacket pocket, "lemme walk y'all through what we've planned so far, and you can let us know if we missed something or if there's a better way to do it."

Assuming they're agreeable, Blaze will walk them inside to do just that.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze leads the two inside, likely with Joanna in tow.

(OOC: Do we want to keep RPing or do we want to move the summoning of Red Wolf?)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Snow and Hawk join Blaze and Joanna in completing the preparations for the summoning rite. Joanna's initiation will start with the summoning of Sagrim-Ur, or at least The Red Wolf's avatar. They build a circle on the band's practice stage, drawn in chalk but decorated with bits of broken mirror, lit candles, and a hodge-podge of canine teeth that Hawk says they keep for just such an occasion. The circle is big enough for an adult man to lie down in, into which Snow lays down a massive red wolf's pelt.

Nearby, the wolf blooded watch in silent amusement. Justin is kind enough to offer to help, but Hawk makes it clear that only the Uratha can be involved in this rite.

When the preparations are completed, Blaze dims the lights in the factory, though afternoon light still spills in from the warehouse's high windows. Joanna is instructed to strip, and kneel down on the pelt in the middle of the circle. Hawk explains that normally with a summoning, a Gathra is left in the circle to entice the arrival of the targeted spirit, and tonight Joanna will be that Gathra. This brings a vicious little grin to the woman's face. Then Snow, Blaze and Hawk take hands standing outside of the circle behind Joanna, and Hawk speaks, her voice low and rumbling in the First Tongue, filling the warehouse as if she were using one of Kara's mics.

"Hear me now brothers and sisters, for I have a story to tell, and this one is true. Our ancestors participated in the killing of Father Wolf, when he was too old to lead. Mother Luna cried for the death of her lover, and the Forsaken were scattered across the earth, and Shadow and Flesh were separated as were the many organs of Pangea.

"Our ancestors were hunted by spirit and flesh monster alike, yet Sagrim-Ur rejoiced, for she knew that nothing would be the same again. And change brings opportunity. So the Red Wolf wandered across the planes and deserts and swamps, often drawn by the piteous howls of a lone Uratha, mourning his loss and isolation. Sagrim-Ur would ask such Foresaken for their story. From his journeys Red Wolf learned that change was not always a blessing. And in exchange for their stories and their teaching, Sagrim-Ur would provide the scattered Uratha with this teaching, from which we Iron Masters take our Oath: 'Honor your territory in all things'. Sister, we ask you to join us in this oath and join our tribe. Do you accept?
    "

When Joanna accepts, Hawk replies, "Then we call on Sagrim-Ur the Red Wolf to witness the trials of our sister and judge her worth." Blaze and Snow, knowing the Tribe's words of summoning, join Hawk in chanting, their voices echoing from the stage and through the halls of the Warehouse. The temperature inside the rises drastically. Despite her lack of clothing, Joanna can feel the hairs on her arms pile up, her skin turning flush as sweat begins to trickle from her brow and neck. Then there is a bang, like the slamming of a door, and all the candles around the circle go out. The fragments of glass begin to melt around the circle and the scattered teeth begin to glow and shake, chattering along the floor.

A red lupine figure appears in twilight above Joanna, at least twice the of the largest Gauru. The spirit is a all fire and fur, glowing in the half-light. It's voice is ancient and comes from everywhere, "Joanna of the Anchor Wolves, speak to me of how you shall prove your worth to me tonight!"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Within the realm of spirits, Jeremy is still at a loss on how he can help but, once talk turns to the digital world, he adds "We can set up recordings of logical formula or something, maybe a variety of topics, and set them to loudly play near that unclean church, maybe? Watching from a goodly distance, we could see if they have an effect other than just annoying the residents. Beyond that, printed texts - sort of like a spell of math - pasted to their doors so they see them at their next meeting. We could try multiple types of info, and see which one makes them recoil best, if at all."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will strip without complaint but will watch for anyone who was paying too much attention to her so that she can indicate that she noticed. Other then that she would rather die then give any indication that this made her uncomfortable. Especially in front of Hawk. What was this bitch's problem?'

She'll accept the oath with all due seriousness although the size of Sagrim-Ur took her aback. What exactly would it do if she said something to upset it?

After regaining her composure, 'I'm told we can increase the Essance over the Gauntlet if we bring more prey into the town. I was going to see if I could talk a fertility spirit into helping them multiply.' Joanna felt like she was in a job interview. Was this even enough.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara turns to Jeremy, and hesitantly replies, "This would be for the Idigam, or for the people of New Bedford? I can't imagine any papers holding up deep in the bay by the Idigam's lair... and I don't know if the spawn will have the same weaknesses as the Idigam itself."

The great figure of Red Wolf's avatar remains unmoved as it peers down upon Joanna. It's harsh gaze making her feel more than just naked. "I see," the spirit replies, it's voice echoing through the chamber, "And I expect you will watch to see how such changes effect the real world? What effects to you think you might see on both sides of the Gauntlet from such interferences?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear waves his hands to calm the spirit. "Please don't misunderstand, I did not mean we were thinking of throwing you at our foe to fight" He forces a straight face to keep from chuckling at the mental image. "We simply thought you might have some insight, especially on actually delivering this information. I kinda suspect waving waterlogged books at them won't do much good. As for how we know, one of our number is able to perform a ritual that reveals the bane of a spirit he can see. From that we learned the Idigam's direct spawn really don't like either the full moon or information. The Idigam's bane may not be exactly the same as the spawn, but it is reasonably safe to assume its pretty close."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I see," Databolt says rather hastily, though the spirit does sound slightly calmer. There is a moment before it adds, "Most spirits can create attacks using Essence of their resonance, though I plan on getting nowhere near the Idigam, and even my most powerful attacks would... well if it's an Idigam..." Data's voice trails off, its screen dimming. Then with slight excitement, the spirit adds, "You said it is weak to the full moon? Have you contacted the Lunar spirits [Lunes], they are much more powerful... and braver than a spirit such as myself."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

The great figure of Red Wolf's avatar remains unmoved as it peers down upon Joanna. It's harsh gaze making her feel more than just naked. "I see," the spirit replies, it's voice echoing through the chamber, "And I expect you will watch to see how such changes effect the real world? What effects to you think you might see on both sides of the Gauntlet from such interferences?"
    Well, at least Red Wolf hadn't dismissed her out of hand. 'Yeah, I figured that going to the Hisil alone is something I needed the practice with.' And to answer the question, 'Well more prey over here means more prey spirits over the Gauntlet for us and our friends. Seems good to me.' And the other side, 'I can't quite tell what letting this place get wilder will do on this side of things. Maybe a baby boom if the ferility spirits are up for it. But isn't that for me to find out?'

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Something about the spirit's expression changes with Joanna's explanation. Maybe it's glowing yellow eyes narrow just lightly, or maybe the corners of its mouth pull up in an animal approximation of a grin. Or maybe nothing changes at all. "I see," the spirit says in the same booming emotionless voice, "and you will see if your predictions are correct young one! Have you any last questions?" Then the spirit reaches its hands out, gesturing to those gathered around the circle, asking "And you all will witness this Uratha's initiation? Have you any last words of advice for Joanna, before she begins her trial?"

Hawk and Snow both look from Joanna to Blaze, and back again.
    Show