New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default 3.P - Earth Glide Dysfunction?

In 3.5 and PF, earth elementals have earth glide:

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 SRD
    Earth Glide (Ex): An earth elemental can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Earth Glide (Ex): A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.
    In both cases, casting move earth stuns the elemental.

Except it's an elemental, and in both PF and 3.5, elementals are automatically immune to being stunned.

Is there any reason to bother rolling that Fort save for a normal elemental? It's immune anyway. Why is that bit even in the ability entry?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2024-05-12 at 09:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.P - Earth Glide Dysfunction?

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental type
    An elemental possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
    No dysfunction here, just a run-of-the-mill specific vs. general rules conflict. The earth elemental's entry says that it can be stunned in this particular instance, so it can.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No dysfunction here, just a run-of-the-mill specific vs. general rules conflict. The earth elemental's entry says that it can be stunned in this particular instance, so it can.
    Except elementals are immune. If it had given a description that matched being stunned but isn't named as such, that's one thing, but elementals are very specifically immune to it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Except elementals are immune. If it had given a description that matched being stunned but isn't named as such, that's one thing, but elementals are very specifically immune to it.
    My dude youre overthinking it. It says the elemental gets stunned, its not a general statement, its a specific one.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    My dude youre overthinking it. It says the elemental gets stunned, its not a general statement, its a specific one.
    And then the elemental ignores it. It's like an elemental with Stunning Fist using the feat on itself. It's immune.

Like the thread title says: it's dysfunctional. You can't stun an elemental.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think it's copy-paste issue. Earth elementals in 3.0 didn't have this SQ, maybe some other monster had and authors took it as it was.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

And then the elemental ignores it. It's like an elemental with Stunning Fist using the feat on itself. It's immune.

Like the thread title says: it's dysfunctional. You can't stun an elemental.
    It's only dysfunctional when you think of rules as equals. However, the rules work within a hierarchy of general to specific to exception. Earth elementals being stunned in this specific case is more specific than the general rule about being immune to stuns. It would be an exception to the rule. There are plenty of places like this, just not so blatantly opposed. The rules compendium page 5 tells you that exceptions can out right break more general rules.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Earth elementals are only immune to this stunning if you think undead are immune to the fear conditions from turn undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Earth elementals are only immune to this stunning if you think undead are immune to the fear conditions from turn undead.
    Turn undead doesn't apply fear conditions.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Turn undead doesn't apply fear conditions.
    According to the RC it does. Turning can cause the cower condition and according to the RC cower is a fear effect. Therefore undead can't cower, unless specific exception exists as the RC specifically points out does in fact exist. But, that's only if you take the RC as an infallible work that updates every rule it touches upon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fine. Just do this copy replace in your head.

Earth Glide (Ex): A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, <and inflicts a condition identical to being stunned except it isn't stunned so its not covered by stun immunity on> the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

And stop expecting rule book authors to write -toward- the "likes to interpret everything to find the most dysfunction possible" demographic because you'll always be disappointed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    While turn undead (in the PHB at least) doesn't mention causing fear, only fear-like effects, there are lots of examples of spells and items which do explicitly affect creatures otherwise immune. A golem's spell immunity doesn't work against certain spells, Greater Truedeath/Demolition Crystals allow you to crit undead and constructs respectively, Vine Strike allows you to sneak attack plant creatures, and so on.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    While turn undead (in the PHB at least) doesn't mention causing fear, only fear-like effects, there are lots of examples of spells and items which do explicitly affect creatures otherwise immune. A golem's spell immunity doesn't work against certain spells, Greater Truedeath/Demolition Crystals allow you to crit undead and constructs respectively, Vine Strike allows you to sneak attack plant creatures, and so on.
    Those make explicit exceptions. The earth glide dysfunction does not.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Those make explicit exceptions. The earth glide dysfunction does not.
    It doesn't have to say it's an exception. The implication of such is good enough. A barbarian's bonus to move speed doesn't have to say that it's an exception to your base move speed to apply.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    It doesn't have to say it's an exception. The implication of such is good enough. A barbarian's bonus to move speed doesn't have to say that it's an exception to your base move speed to apply.
    Giving a bonus to something is a lot different than inflicting a status effect that you're immune to.

If casting a spell leaves you stunned, but you are immune to stunning, casting the spell does nothing to you. Same here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Giving a bonus to something is a lot different than inflicting a status effect that you're immune to.

If casting a spell leaves you stunned, but you are immune to stunning, casting the spell does nothing to you. Same here.
    Does Undeath to Death not work because it works like Circle of Death, which is a death effect? Does Revive Outsider not work because it works like Raise Dead which specifically says it does not work on outsiders? If something says that it is affected by something it should be immune to, then it is affected. Nothing has a higher priority on what should affect a creature than the creature's own statblock (except another effect saying something of the effect of "it isn't affected even if it should be" or "even immune creatures are affected"). "The elemental gets stunned" is as clear as you can be.

If you think it is a dysfunction, then okay, you are free to rule against it in your games, or to post about it on the dysfunction thread. I personally do not consider normalization failures to be dysfunctions when the intent is clear, but you do you.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I mean it's about as dysfunction as most golems. As in they all have immunity to any spell that allows SR, but then right afterwards specify that they can be effected by certain/many SR:Yes spells. So can you damage a Clay Golem with Disintegrate as it's called out for being able to do so, or do you fail because it's a SR:Yes spell and Clay Golems are immune to all of them?

Hack by this RAW tomfoolery Penetrating Strike is actually useless. It let's you sneak attack things for half damage when flanking even if they are immune to sneak attack. But Undead say they can't take precision damage so I guess it does nothing now?

So no, IMHO it's not a dysfunction, just a case of a specific ruling that overrides a general one.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you have a good point. It doesnt seem like specific over general in this case. Both rules can just exist and the creature could make a save, fail it, and then the stun that would apply just doesnt happen because of the immunity.

What if you are already immune to stunning but then acquire the earth glide ability, would your immunity work? I think it would and I think this example is closer to this situation than the ones I read on this thread.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Adjudicating specific vs. general without explicit guidance can be a pain sometimes. However:

1. Racial features and things listed in a monster entry are much more specific than things inherited via type or subtype, which are presumably more specific than things acquired by other means.
    2. A target identified directly by name or pronoun is much more specific than a parametric one. Does it make sense to put an immunity somewhere in between? I think so.

Either (1) or (2) seems in line with the rules and to correctly resolve earth glide without creating much weirdness elsewhere.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

"If you are experiencing earth glide dysfunction, talk to your doctor and see if Geoglidica is right for you."

Sorry. I'll get me coat.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I can sorta see the OP's point - it seems to imply an exception, without being worded strongly enough to actually create one. Easy enough to rule that there is an exception at the actual table, but at the very least it is ambiguous if not actually dysfunctional.
    (He/him or they/them)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvistic View Post
    I think you have a good point. It doesnt seem like specific over general in this case. Both rules can just exist and the creature could make a save, fail it, and then the stun that would apply just doesnt happen because of the immunity.

What if you are already immune to stunning but then acquire the earth glide ability, would your immunity work? I think it would and I think this example is closer to this situation than the ones I read on this thread.
    Except it specifically calls out the elemental as being stunned, meaning it acknowledges the creature type, and must thusly be aware that it is normally incapable of being stunned, but decides to apply the stun condition despite that immunity.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    I can sorta see the OP's point - it seems to imply an exception, without being worded strongly enough to actually create one. Easy enough to rule that there is an exception at the actual table, but at the very least it is ambiguous if not actually dysfunctional.
    However in this case, it's as dysfunctional or ambiguous as a golem's magic immunity. A clay golem is vulnerable to the move earth spell they are immune to as an earth elemental is vulnerable to being stunned, which they are immune to, by move earth. If you rule a clay golem isn't immune to the spell then consistency says an earth elemental is not immune to the modified stun effect.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Except it specifically calls out the elemental as being stunned, meaning it acknowledges the creature type, and must thusly be aware that it is normally incapable of being stunned, but decides to apply the stun condition despite that immunity.
    But then what if you for example have an air elemental with earth glide cast on it, which later is affected by a move earth spell. Would it get stunned or not?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

But then what if you for example have an air elemental with earth glide cast on it, which later is affected by a move earth spell. Would it get stunned or not?
    Better. Earth elemental with removed somehow his racial earth glide and casted on it earth glide spell.

My competition's medals.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

However in this case, it's as dysfunctional or ambiguous as a golem's magic immunity. A clay golem is vulnerable to the move earth spell they are immune to as an earth elemental is vulnerable to being stunned, which they are immune to, by move earth. If you rule a clay golem isn't immune to the spell then consistency says an earth elemental is not immune to the modified stun effect.
    No. Golem's case means explicit exception. This is unambiguous in the text. Elemental's case isn't such unambiguous. I could imagine it's bad copy-paste from non-elemental creature (or from spell) with creature's name exchange.

My competition's medals.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't think so! While they are ccertain similarities, the case for the golem creating actual exceptions is rather stronger (not least because they are part of the same ability).

Having said that, it could also be worded better. To whit....

No. Golem's case means explicit exception.
    It's actually not quite (at least on AoN - I assume the 3e versions are similar). Spells affecting them differently is "in addition" to their general immunity, not explicitly an exception to it. And while some of the specific exceptions argue against that, it is not an unreasonable thing in principle, since not all spells have SR and not all magical attacks are spells.
    Last edited by glass; 2024-05-14 at 11:47 AM.
    (He/him or they/them)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's copy-paste issue. Earth elementals in 3.0 didn't have this SQ, maybe some other monster had and authors took it as it was.
    Yes: Xorn has it even back in 3.0 - but, being an Outsider, wasn't immune to stunning

Actually, Earth Glide for Earth Elementals, apparently, was so last-minute decision even Small Earth Elemental in the Improved Familiars list (Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5) don't have Earth Glide

Also, this whole Earth Glide-Earth Elemental-Move Earth thing have one more problem: in both 3.5 and PF, Move Earth have this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This spell has no effect on earth creatures.
    Aren't Earth Elementals "earth creatures"?..
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2024-05-14 at 12:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Better. Earth elemental with removed somehow his racial earth glide and casted on it earth glide spell.
    No. Golem's case means explicit exception. This is unambiguous in the text. Elemental's case isn't such unambiguous. I could imagine it's bad copy-paste from non-elemental creature (or from spell) with creature's name exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    I don't think so! While they are ccertain similarities, the case for the golem creating actual exceptions is rather stronger (not least because they are part of the same ability).

Having said that, it could also be worded better. To whit....

It's actually not quite (at least on AoN - I assume the 3e versions are similar). Spells affecting them differently is "in addition" to their general immunity, not explicitly an exception to it. And while some of the specific exceptions argue against that, it is not an unreasonable thing in principle, since not all spells have SR and not all magical attacks are spells.
    Even though I dislike the RC with a passion, it at least explains how this scenario is supposed to work:

Quote Originally Posted by RC, pg 5
    ORDER OF RULES APPLICATION
    The D&D game assumes a specific order of rules application: General to specific to exception. A general rule is a basic guideline, but a more specific rule takes precedence when applied to the same activity. For instance, a monster description is more specific than any general rule about monsters, so the description takes precedence. An exception is a particular kind of specific rule that contradicts or breaks another rule (general or specific). The Improved Disarm feat, for instance, provides an exception to the rule that an attacker provokes an attack of opportunity from the defender he’s trying to disarm (see Disarm, page 45).
    Type immunity is a general rule about monsters and the description of earth glide takes precedence over that. The earth glide spell is not a monster based rule, it's a spell. There is no exception because of that distinction.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Earth Glide has no effect on an earth elemental. It does, however, have an effect on the earth the elemental is gliding through, and that affects the elemental. It's sort of like having a creature that's immune to Disintegrate, but then disintegrating the ground it's standing on so it falls.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics