New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default More 2024 PHB Revelations from the GameInformer Article

Article here: https://gameinformer.mydigitalpublic...p=12&ver=html5

There's already a thread on how Greyhawk was chosen to be the new sample setting for the 2024 DMG but there's a bunch of other stuff in the GameInformer article that I didn't see people discussing so I thought I'd pull out some of the other choice tidbits here. In no particular order:

Spoiler: Spoiled for readability
    Show
    • Aasimar have been added as a core race. Assuming nobody was cut, that brings the final count of core races up to 10.
    • There will be 75 feats in the new PHB. Note that this is more than the 2014 PHB (42), Xanathar's (15) and Tasha's (15) combined.
    • Each class will get an iconic full-page art spread. (and all 48 subclasses will be illustrated as well.)
    • Tools will have actual rules / specific suggested actions you can perform with them now.
    • Confirmation that there will be brand new spells (the example one named in the article is "Tasha's Bubbling Cauldron."
    • Confirmation that there will be three brand-new subclasses in the PHB (Sea Druid, World Tree Barbarian, Dance Bard) with all the rest returning from either the prior PHB or a different existing book.
    • There will be new item-crafting rules in core, including rules to make scrolls.
    • Will contain a Lore Glossary that sheds light on the various references, shibboleths, and famous NPCs that have built up in the D&D lexicon over the years and across multiple settings, like what's the deal with these Harper folks and who this Venger guy is supposed to be.
    • The new MM will contain 500 monsters, an increase of ~200 over the 2014 MM. Of those, 75 are brand new creations, so the other 125 will be ported in from other books.
    • There will be new high-CR megathreats for higher level PCs to deal with on par with Ancient Dragons and the Tarrasque; the example they give in the article is a town-sized gelatinous cube called a Blob of Annihilation, a giant construct called an Elemental Juggernaut, and a super-vampire called a Nightbringer.
    • The pre-order date and price point for each book have been revealed (pre-orders open June 18, and the price point is set at $49.99.) The release dates remain at September for the PHB, November for the DMG, and February 2025 for the MM respectively.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-05-15 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: More 2024 PHB Revelations from the GameInformer Article

I am glad the aasimar made it. I wonder if we owe that to what people commented when they rejected the ardling, or perhaps to Dame Aylin from BG3.

Had to look up what sort of monster is a shibboleth. What I found was way more scary than any aboleth or gehreleth.

As for the rest, yeah, good, I think meatier is better.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Also glad to see Aasimar in core. Was always strange to me that Tieflings were but they weren't; was stranger still when that continued in the playtest yet they tried to add Aardlings.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I am glad the aasimar made it. I wonder if we owe that to what people commented when they rejected the ardling, or perhaps to Dame Aylin from BG3.
    Honestly, Aylin's a weird one to me. From everything about her portrayal it feels like she's a full-blown angel (and a special one at that), not a mere Aasimar, so it's strange to me that they called her one.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #4

Had to look up what sort of monster is a shibboleth. What I found was way more scary than any aboleth or gehreleth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Also glad to see Aasimar in core. Was always strange to me that Tieflings were but they weren't; was stranger still when that continued in the playtest yet they tried to add Aardlings.
    My primary concern with Aasimar in core was having a core race that could fly at level 3 (if they used the MPMM version) and also the weird friendly fire ability. Provided they tweaked those things further to be more in line with the UA Dragonborn's flight I'm okay.

Honestly, Aylin's a weird one to me. From everything about her portrayal it feels like she's a full-blown angel (and a special one at that), not a mere Aasimar, so it's strange to me that they called her one.
    To be fair, you can be both a half-celestial (which is what I think she actually is) AND an Aasimar. So "she's an aasimar" can be technically correct, just a bit misleading, and they just didn't bother to make that distinction as clear as it should have been for the normies.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

What? The Aasimars will be a PHB race, but what about Tieflings? Why are they not treated the same way?
    We need to talk with Asmodeus about this.
    Last edited by follacchioso; 2024-05-15 at 11:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My primary concern with Aasimar in core was having a core race that could fly at level 3 (if they used the MPMM version) and also the weird friendly fire ability. Provided they tweaked those things further to be more in line with the UA Dragonborn's flight I'm okay.
    Regarding flight options, the MPMM aasimar is already in line with the FToD dragonborn. One minute, once per long rest.

To be fair, you can be both a half-celestial (which is what I think she actually is) AND an Aasimar. So "she's an aasimar" can be technically correct, just a bit misleading, and they just didn't bother to make that distinction as clear as it should have been for the normies.
    I think you meant half-divine but yes that could be it. Alternatively, Aylin could be to an aasimar what a cambion is to a tiefling but the developers couldn't find D&D's word for a celestial cambion, if there is even one.

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    What? The Aasimars will be a PHB race, but what about Tieflings? Why are they not treated the same way?
    Uh? Are tieflings being removed?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

In counting up the feats, it may help to remember that the playtest options included "+2 to an ability score" as a feat, so there might be more formerly-not-feats rolled into there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As a fan myself, I love seeing Aasimar in core.

Also...

Show
    • a town-sized gelatinous cube called a Blob of Annihilation
    WHAAAAAAAAAT!? That's gonna be fun to plop down on the battlemat. :D
    Insert Clever Signature Here

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about Tieflings will be core.

The 10 races now confirmed are:

1. Aasimar
    2. Humans
    3. Dwarves
    4. Dragonborn
    5. Halflings
    6. Elves
    7. Gnomes
    8. Goliaths
    9. Orcs
    10. Tieflings

Regarding flight options, the MPMM aasimar is already in line with the FToD dragonborn. One minute, once per long rest.
    The UA/Playtest Dragonborn's flight was modified to come online at 5th level (not 3rd) and last 10 minutes. That's what I mean.

I think you meant half-divine
    I said what I meant

"Cambion" is the name for half-fiends from prior editions.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

1. Aasimar
    2. Humans
    3. Dwarves
    4. Dragonborn
    5. Halflings
    6. Elves
    7. Gnomes
    8. Goliaths
    9. Orcs
    10. Tieflings
    Well, that sounds much better than the Catman / Frogman / Birdman / Lionman / Wolfman / Deerman / whatever-animalman that's been all the rage throughout non-core books
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, that sounds much better than the Catman / Frogman / Birdman / Lionman / Wolfman / Deerman / whatever-animalman that's been all the rage throughout non-core books
    People wanting animal races in D&D isn't exactly revelatory, other publishers like Paizo and Hit Point Press have proven the demand is there. The devs have already promised Ardlings will make a return, just not in core.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The UA/Playtest Dragonborn's flight was modified to come online at 5th level (not 3rd) and last 10 minutes. That's what I mean.
    My bad, I missed that FToD's Gem Flight only comes online at 5th level. It is just one minute, though. Was there really an UA that extended the duration?

I said what I meant

"Cambion" is the name for half-fiends from prior editions.
    It is also the name for half-fiends in 5e, specifically those that look like winged tieflings but mechanically count as fiends instead of humanoids.

Aylin is stated as a humanoid though, not as a celestial, which puts a crimp in my theory. Oh well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Specific rules and uses for tools. Could it be there will tables with DCs? Could it extend to skill use in general? It's Schrodinger's Skills for now, but I'll enjoy the possibility until the book is opened.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

People wanting animal races in D&D isn't exactly revelatory, other publishers like Paizo and Hit Point Press have proven the demand is there. The devs have already promised Ardlings will make a return, just not in core.
    I don't mind animal races, I just think 5.0 has waaaaay too many of them.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #15

I don't mind animal races, I just think 5.0 has waaaaay too many of them.
    Buckle up.

My bad, I missed that FToD's Gem Flight only comes online at 5th level. It is just one minute, though. Was there really an UA that extended the duration?
    Yes - 2024 PHB UA3, "Cleric and Species":

Draconic Flight. When you reach 5th level, you learn how to channel the magical energy of your Draconic Ancestry to give yourself temporary flight. As a Bonus Action, you sprout spectral wings on your back that last for 10 minutes or until you are Incapacitated or you retract the wings as a Bonus Action. During that time, you have a Fly Speed equal to your Speed. Your wings appear to be made of the energy used by your Breath Weapon. Once you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a Long Rest.

It is also the name for half-fiends in 5e, specifically those that look like winged tieflings but mechanically count as fiends instead of humanoids.

Aylin is stated as a humanoid though, not as a celestial, which puts a crimp in my theory. Oh well.
    Right, that's my point - BG3 got the creature type wrong. Aylin is more than just an Aasimar and should be a Celestial, just like Raphael and Mizora are more than just Tieflings and should be Fiends.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nice that Aasimar made it, but 12 classes deserves 12 species methinks... add Goblins and Kobolds and it's perfect in my mind.

Lots of good stuff mentioned, hopefully the execution is solid.

And the price point is great ;)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Aylin is explicitly a/the daughter of Selune, she's not your "standard" aasimar.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes - 2024 PHB UA3, "Cleric and Species":

Right, that's my point - BG3 got the creature type wrong. Aylin is more than just an Aasimar and should be a Celestial, just like Raphael and Mizora are more than just Tieflings and should be Fiends.
    Alright, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Telesphoros View Post
    Nice that Aasimar made it, but 12 classes deserves 12 species methinks... add Goblins and Kobolds and it's perfect in my mind.
    That would have been great. Also, personally, I would have included genasi instead of goliaths, to have all the major planetouched. Unless it is true that goliaths are now going to reflect different types of giants? Then they might actually make for better elemental representatives.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Aylin is explicitly a/the daughter of Selune, she's not your "standard" aasimar.
    Yes, hence me referring to her as special. That's part of what makes calling her an Aasimar seem wrong though - an Aasimar is a mortal with some small amount of celestial heritage or power; the direct child of a god should be far more than that (and Aylin seems to be more than that). In the Realms especially they'd usually be a god themselves, but barring that, certainly a full-blown angel would make more sense, and would fit more with what we see of her in the game.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Aasimar have been added as a core race
    Tools will have actual rules
    Item-crafting rules
    MM will contain 500 monsters
    new high-CR megathreats
    Huzzah!

75 feats
    Sea Druid, World Tree Barbarian, Dance Bard
    Less enthused.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

It sounds like bigger books: more classes, more subclasses, more feats, more monsters, and more art. But, they're going back to a $50 price? Can they bring it down because they are doing a larger print run, or can accept smaller margins, or is there a catch?

22. - Top - End - #22

Unless it is true that goliaths are now going to reflect different types of giants? Then they might actually make for better elemental representatives.
    They are:

Giant Ancestry. You are descended from Giants. Choose one of the following benefits—a supernatural boon from your ancestry; you can use the chosen benefit a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a Long Rest:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cloud’s Jaunt (Cloud Giant). As a Bonus Action, you magically Teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see.
    Fire’s Burn (Fire Giant). When you hit a target with an Attack Roll and deal damage to it, you can also deal 1d10 Fire Damage to that target.
    Frost’s Chill (Frost Giant). When you hit a target with an Attack Roll and deal damage to it, you can also deal 1d6 Cold Damage to that target and reduce its Speed by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.
    Hill’s Tumble (Hill Giant). When you hit a Large or smaller creature with an Attack Roll and deal damage to it, you can knock that target Prone.
    Stone’s Endurance (Stone Giant). When you take damage, you can use your Reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled and reduce the damage by that total.
    Storm’s Thunder (Storm Giant). When you take damage from a creature within 60 feet of you, you can use your Reaction to deal 1d8 Thunder Damage to that creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    It sounds like bigger books: more classes, more subclasses, more feats, more monsters, and more art.
    Per the article you're correct; it says each book is 384 pages. For the PHB that'd be ~70 pages more than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    But, they're going back to a $50 price? Can they bring it down because they are doing a larger print run, or can accept smaller margins, or is there a catch?
    Wasn't the retail price of the original also $50? (Genuine question, I wasn't playing 5e when it came out.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

:( I like the idea of a zodiac of anthropomorphic races. Kind of like the hengeyokai of yesteryear... makes more sense (especially if they were Wizard created like monstrosities) than disparate hominids that all evolved at the same time with disparate life spans and desires that would end up waging war until one, the other, or both no longer had a stable reproductive populace. Bah, gods and the well made plans of men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Less enthused.
    110%. I'm willing to give grace and wait and see what the final product is, but I currently have zero desire to run any of those subclasses... maybe I'll be astounded!

Wasn't the retail price of the original also $50? (Genuine question, I wasn't playing 5e when it came out.)
    Yup, my first edition of 5th Edition D&D PHB (hopefully that's not confusing) is noted as "Sug. Retail: US $49.95 CAN $58.00"

But no price increase in 10 years (especially given the volatility of the US economy moving pre to post-Covid) is actually quite remarkable. Bigger book, same cost as 10 years ago, that's quite the deal!
    Trollbait extraordinaire

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Article here: https://gameinformer.mydigitalpublic...p=12&ver=html5

There's already a thread on how Greyhawk was chosen to be the new sample setting for the 2024 DMG but there's a bunch of other stuff in the GameInformer article that I didn't see people discussing so I thought I'd pull out some of the other choice tidbits here. In no particular order:

Show
    • Aasimar have been added as a core race. Assuming nobody was cut, that brings the final count of core races up to 10.
    • There will be 75 feats in the new PHB. Note that this is more than the 2014 PHB (42), Xanathar's (15) and Tasha's (15) combined.
    • Each class will get an iconic full-page art spread. (and all 48 subclasses will be illustrated as well.)
    • Tools will have actual rules / specific suggested actions you can perform with them now.
    • Confirmation that there will be brand new spells (the example one named in the article is "Tasha's Bubbling Cauldron."
    • Confirmation that there will be three brand-new subclasses in the PHB (Sea Druid, World Tree Barbarian, Dance Bard) with all the rest returning from either the prior PHB or a different existing book.
    • There will be new item-crafting rules in core, including rules to make scrolls.
    • Will contain a Lore Glossary that sheds light on the various references, shibboleths, and famous NPCs that have built up in the D&D lexicon over the years and across multiple settings, like what's the deal with these Harper folks and who this Venger guy is supposed to be.
    • The new MM will contain 500 monsters, an increase of ~200 over the 2014 MM. Of those, 75 are brand new creations, so the other 125 will be ported in from other books.
    • There will be new high-CR megathreats for higher level PCs to deal with on par with Ancient Dragons and the Tarrasque; the example they give in the article is a town-sized gelatinous cube called a Blob of Annihilation, a giant construct called an Elemental Juggernaut, and a super-vampire called a Nightbringer.
    • The pre-order date and price point for each book have been revealed (pre-orders open June 18, and the price point is set at $49.99.) The release dates remain at September for the PHB, November for the DMG, and February 2025 for the MM respectively.
    Oh cool, Greyhawk's comin' back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    110%. I'm willing to give grace and wait and see what the final product is, but I currently have zero desire to run any of those subclasses... maybe I'll be astounded!
    Dance Bard is meh but the other two are great:

People complain Barbarians don't get to do anything but attack, and here's one that gives out THP to allies every round, that can suck enemies into melee and lock them there or teleport allies around the battlefield, add 10ft of reach to any Heavy weapon, and at their capstone they can misty step every round or Dimension Door the whole party as many times per day as they have rages (keep in mind that they recover rages on a short rest now, and one level after they get this they basically double their rages per day.)

Sea Druid gets concentration free flight while still being able to cast - a rarity for druids - as well as three useful resistances and constant damaging/pushing aura that doesn't require any actions and that they can put around themselves and/or others.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm absolutely thrilled that the PHB won't be as anemic as the 2014.
    I'm also absolutely thrilled to hear they're giving attention to skills, tools, crafting, etc. It's not D&D if you can't make your own stuff, magic or otherwise! We've been denied FAR too long.

I'll be the first to say I'm disappointed that Aasimar is getting added though. Tiefling should be removed. Planetouched races should be represented in the Planescape material, and they should all be included. The PHB including 2 out of 8 is just... wrong, to me. (No Genasi, no Mechanus, no Limbo... only "Good" and "Evil" are covered? Boo.)

the direct child of a god should be far more than that (and Aylin seems to be more than that). In the Realms especially they'd usually be a god themselves, but barring that, certainly a full-blown angel would make more sense, and would fit more with what we see of her in the game.
    Not necessarily. Outside of being "Chosen," there's nothing particularly special about Mystra's seven daughters other than all of them being particularly stunning and silver-haired humans (and one drow).
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2024-05-16 at 12:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

But no price increase in 10 years (especially given the volatility of the US economy moving pre to post-Covid) is actually quite remarkable. Bigger book, same cost as 10 years ago, that's quite the deal!
    Right. And their recent books have been selling for $60. It seems relatively cheap, given the circumstances.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    Planetouched races should be represented in the Planescape material, and they should all be included.
    No thanks. I love me some Planescape but i don't want all that stuff to be pidgeonholed there. Maybe a PHB II if you think it's too much in one book
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    I'm absolutely thrilled that the PHB won't be as anemic as the 2014.
    I'm also absolutely thrilled to hear they're giving attention to skills, tools, crafting, etc. It's not D&D if you can't make your own stuff, magic or otherwise! We've been denied FAR too long.

I'll be the first to say I'm disappointed that Aasimar is getting added though. Tiefling should be removed. Planetouched races should be represented in the Planescape material, and they should all be included. The PHB including 2 out of 8 is just... wrong, to me. (No Genasi, no Mechanus, no Limbo... only "Good" and "Evil" are covered? Boo.)
    No way - they would have to be utter morons to remove Tieflings from core now, when every bit of data we have (from both DDB and BG3) shows how overwhelmingly popular they are, and that's with the lamer 2014 versions with fixed ASIs and little customization. And since removing them isn't an option, including something in core to be their counterpart makes sense. If it wasn't going to be Ardling, which I still loved the concept of, I'll take Aasimar.

:( I like the idea of a zodiac of anthropomorphic races. Kind of like the hengeyokai of yesteryear... makes more sense (especially if they were Wizard created like monstrosities) than disparate hominids that all evolved at the same time with disparate life spans and desires that would end up waging war until one, the other, or both no longer had a stable reproductive populace. Bah, gods and the well made plans of men.
    Exactly! Ardling had a lot of potential At least it isn't gone for good.

Yup, my first edition of 5th Edition D&D PHB (hopefully that's not confusing) is noted as "Sug. Retail: US $49.95 CAN $58.00"

I mean, I would hope printing techniques improved in the last 10 years, even with the post-Covid supply chain issues...
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

People complain Barbarians don't get to do anything but attack, and here's one that gives out THP to allies every round, that can suck enemies into melee and lock them there or teleport allies around the battlefield, add 10ft of reach to any Heavy weapon, and at their capstone they can misty step every round or Dimension Door the whole party as many times per day as they have rages (keep in mind that they recover rages on a short rest now, and one level after they get this they basically double their rages per day.)
    My issue with the World Tree barb isn't mechanical. It's thematic. Mechanically, it's fantastic for all the reasons you listed. No doubt. But thematically it's just very narrow. It assumes a World Tree or equivalent in basically every world ever created, or that will be created, which is just silly. Sure, it can be reflavored and renamed, but it wouldn't have been that hard to just write it that way in the first place.

In any case, I will say the 2024 PHB is looking pretty solid, despite my rather vocal criticism through the playtests.
    Insert Clever Signature Here