New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bond vs. Ideal, and where they overlap

I'm working on my next character, and bits of it just aren't coming together. His backstory is that he's an agent for a hidden city, a troubleshooter (he goes looking for trouble, and then he shoots it). His first and last goal is to protect his city, even (especially) from threats they might not be aware of. Well, in terms of the 5e personality descriptors, that sounds like both a bond (to the city itself) and an ideal (to keep the city protected). How can I flesh this out some?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Bond vs. Ideal, and where they overlap

1st step is to ditch the idea that protecting the city is his first and last goal; that's one dimensional. Make this a surface thing; it's what he says to people, his catch-phrase as it were, or perhaps it's what he tells himself to motivate him. That's his Ideal: "I must protect The City at all costs. It means everything to me"

Now ask yourself why protecting the city is his whole deal;
    - Is it because a loved one or his whole family lives there? Or perhaps because it was a place that took him in, even as an outsider?
    - Is it because he's indoctrinated by an organisation loyal to the city or one of its members; a high-ranking official, perhaps? Maybe even with sinister motivation? Or is he just a member of an elite group that trains its members well?
    - Is he just a patriot? If so, why? What's so good about the city that he wants that way of life preserved? Is it a democracy in a continent of despots? The seat of power for a well intentioned religion? A centre of learning or art? All of the above?
    - Does he have a vested interest in the city as a land or business owner? Or does he stand to be an inheritor of power or wealth there?
    - Does he instead owe a debt, in money or training? Does the debt run deeper; a life of service given for a life saved? Whose life, his or another's?

There's your Bond: "I owe a debt to a man in The City" "My family are my world and live in The City" "I am a Knight of the Order and will do my duty", etc. etc.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'm working on my next character, and bits of it just aren't coming together. His backstory is that he's an agent for a hidden city, a troubleshooter (he goes looking for trouble, and then he shoots it). His first and last goal is to protect his city, even (especially) from threats they might not be aware of. Well, in terms of the 5e personality descriptors, that sounds like both a bond (to the city itself) and an ideal (to keep the city protected). How can I flesh this out some?
    Like JellyPooga said.

The Bond is something that binds the character, the Ideal is something the character wishes to reach, accomplish, maintain or spread.

So his Ideal here would be "I'll defend my city, especially from threats it might not be aware of".

The Bond could be something like "I work in the shadows so that everyone else in the city can know the light" or "I do not leave troubles undealt with, unless I'm forced to" or "When I deem something a threat, I keep it on my radar, no matter how long it seems harmless".

Or "Troubles should be shot as quickly and efficiently as I'm able to. If possible, it should be as if there was never any trouble in the first place."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In a case like this, I would shift Ideal into how and why rather than what.
    Like say "I want to foster civility and security"
    Or "I will die before I give an inch of what I have"
    Start suggesting very different characters even if the bond to protect your city is unchanged.

I would look at the soldier list of ideals as a starting point.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, true, I haven't thought much about why he's so devoted to his city. That'll take some thought, but there are a few possibilities, there. Thanks for the help!

Quoth Unoriginal:

So his Ideal here would be "I'll defend my city, especially from threats it might not be aware of".

The Bond could be something like "I work in the shadows so that everyone else in the city can know the light" or "I do not leave troubles undealt with, unless I'm forced to" or "When I deem something a threat, I keep it on my radar, no matter how long it seems harmless".
    I'd have actually thought it'd be the other way around, with the first one being an Ideal and the second a Bond. My rule of thumb for Bonds has always been "Your character just got a message, that caused them to drop everything to go deal with that. Who's the message from? That's your bond".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics