New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

I'm having trouble understanding how this discussion doesn't count as politics.

I know it doesn't, based on who is participating, but I don't know how it doesn't.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

@Peelee: There's no plot twist here, there's just no particular reason to have a discussion with you once you get the taste in your mouth to chase after random statements and dog somebody for days over them like you tend to do.

I didn't defend my point because it's not an especially defensible point. It's not one I care about, and was only used to illustrate how silly your point I was responding to was. But you weren't interested in discussing that, so there's not really any point in my elaborating on why the throwaway point was the first thing that came to mind. You made this entire discussion pointless and then continued to badger me over it for reasons that are unclear to me. I have no response because I don't care about the point. I tell you I don't care about the point, and you call me a liar. What the **** is supposed to be my response to that?

So why don't we move into a side point; why is it that standard advice from mod staff (eg., you) is "disengage from a discussion you feel is annoying and/or angering you" but you're out here deliberately needling people who try to disengage from you?

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding how this discussion doesn't count as politics.

I know it doesn't, based on who is participating, but I don't know how it doesn't.
    Discussing legality has always been a weird gray area on this site. From my understanding discussing laws and legal precedent isn't against the rules. Giving legal advice and discussing political climates surrounding what caused the laws to be made is?

I.e. if there was a law that banned the consumption of limes, we could mention that as a fun fact. But we couldn't tell somebody to eat limes (or what to do if they were caught eating limes) or discuss the political and/or social biases causing that law to have been enacted.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-05-19 at 12:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So why don't we move into a side point; why is it that standard advice from mod staff (eg., you) is "disengage from a discussion you feel is annoying and/or angering you" but you're out here deliberately needling people who try to disengage from you?
    The only part of this I don't agree with is the underlined part, and I don't disagree with that, either; I just know that people can often be seen as doing something on purpose when, in fact, they are too stupid to know they're doing it at all.

Like me. I've been that stupid before. Many times.

EDIT: I'm not implying Peelee is stupid. I figured I should probably specify that. The only person I meant to call stupid is myself, and even then only as mild hyperbole.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-05-19 at 04:02 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I.e. if there was a law that banned the consumption of limes, we could mention that as a fun fact. But we couldn't tell somebody to eat limes (or what to do if they were caught eating limes) or discuss the political and/or social biases causing that law to have been enacted.
    Ok but for real, we could use a law banning limes. Or at least limiting their purchase per household.

My wife buys, like, so many limes. She never uses 3/4s of them and then they shrivel up and mold and I have to throw them out. By then she’s bought more. The cycle continues. I must have tossed at least three dozen, maybe more, over the years we’ve lived together.

And before anyone asks, no, she doesn’t have this problem with anything else. We’re both good at buying a normal and non-wasteful amount of food otherwise. I think limes are just the perfect storm of slow-perishing, cheap, and versatile that she always thinks it’s worth picking up one or two (or three).

Is there an inverse scurvy? I think we might have that. Send help.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Weird. I take it you don't like limes? You could at least eat them otherwise. Quarter a lime, sprinkle some salt, it's a good snack.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Ok but for real, we could use a law banning limes. Or at least limiting their purchase per household.

My wife buys, like, so many limes. She never uses 3/4s of them and then they shrivel up and mold and I have to throw them out. By then she’s bought more. The cycle continues. I must have tossed at least three dozen, maybe more, over the years we’ve lived together.

And before anyone asks, no, she doesn’t have this problem with anything else. We’re both good at buying a normal and non-wasteful amount of food otherwise. I think limes are just the perfect storm of slow-perishing, cheap, and versatile that she always thinks it’s worth picking up one or two (or three).

I'd expect you'd get inverse scurvy from eating too many limes, but you're clearly not eating them, so.....

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love limes.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I tell you I don't care about the point, and you call me a liar. What the **** is supposed to be my response to that?[
    I didn't call you a liar. I'm sure you believe you don't care about the point. I think you subconsciously do, despite your own actual belief that you don't. You're allowed to be wrong (as am I).
    A.) I would disagree with "deliberately needling".
    2.) That's good advice that i should still follow, and usually try to
    I'm human. Sometimes i fail.
    iii.) Despite that being good advice, it not actually against the rules to keep talking to someone you feel is annoying and/or angering you. We're just much more likely to break other, actual rules when doing that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #369
    Colossus in the Playground

This is such a fascinating look into the vast expanse of human capability. No one lives a normal life; sometimes you're forced to hold a dog someone kidnapped. Sometimes your wife buys far too many limes.

Life is beautiful.

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is such a fascinating look into the vast expanse of human capability. No one lives a normal life; sometimes you're forced to hold a dog someone kidnapped. Sometimes your wife buys far too many limes.

Life is beautiful.
    Nobody is buying too many limes. The clear problem is that Ionathus and wife are not eating nearly enough limes.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Weird. I take it you don't like limes? You could at least eat them otherwise. Quarter a lime, sprinkle some salt, it's a good snack.
    No that’s the problem: we love limes! In mixed drinks, in water, as garnishes, in guacamole, in frantic last-minute “all the limes are going bad, quick” limeades…

If I didn't like limes I suspect it would limit her purchasing. But because she knows I like them too, that’s just another factor in her Lime Optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Life is beautiful.
    This is a lovely way to look at it. I’m glad it brought you joy and thank you for starting off my Sunday with this insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nobody is buying too many limes. The clear problem is that Ionathus and wife are not eating nearly enough limes.
    There’s always room for self-improvement!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

I really wish more RPGs would let me go 'rawr I'm a bear's without giving my character some kind of magic. I like shape shifting and really wish I could play more characters who are able to do power tricks with it (partial changes, chimeric forms, growing/shrinking...) but it's almost always 'the druid thing' in fantasy games, who already spent their 'cool stuff' budget on nature spells.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I hate Father's Day so much. To put it in a nutshell: Long story short my dad was a drug dealer, a total slob, he fought my family a lot. Even though he never has any issues with me, I just don't care for him that much. Plus he was deported back to Guatemala.

14. - Top - End - #374

Today I learned that the British tend to have their (clothes) washing machines in the kitchen.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Today I learned that the British tend to have their (clothes) washing machines in the kitchen.
    Yeah, most of our houses are too small for a utility room. Most people also have washer-dryers, the only people I know with separate ones either have a separate utility room or a big cellar. Mine's right next to the cooker.

I'd ask where they're put in America, but I presume most of your houses post-date the washing machine and therefore are designed with at least one utility room. Probably two if you're middle class.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, most of our houses are too small for a utility room. Most people also have washer-dryers, the only people I know with separate ones either have a separate utility room or a big cellar. Mine's right next to the cooker.

I'd ask where they're put in America, but I presume most of your houses post-date the washing machine and therefore are designed with at least one utility room. Probably two if you're middle class.
    But why the kitchen, though? Most people here in Sweden who don't have a dedicated washing room (or no individual washer at all, which is the case for a lot of apartment building) have it in the bathroom. Which I suppose doesn't really offer much of an advantage to the kitchen (aside from usually having water-proof floors, I suppose), so maybe that just feels more right because I'm used to it.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

A few weeks ago I learned a new word called Neurodivergent.

Neurodivergent is a scientific word for mental disabilities.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post

Spoiler: Large image
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-19 at 03:23 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There used to be rooms, often called sculleries, where all the washing, plates, cutlery, clothes were done (I presume scullery because you needed oars to move about in them). These days the sink is usually in the kitchen, so that's one place water pipes go.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    But why the kitchen, though? Most people here in Sweden who don't have a dedicated washing room (or no individual washer at all, which is the case for a lot of apartment building) have it in the bathroom. Which I suppose doesn't really offer much of an advantage to the kitchen (aside from usually having water-proof floors, I suppose), so maybe that just feels more right because I'm used to it.
    Apparently UK laws forbid electrical outlets in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Large image
    Show
    100% with Rather on this one.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-19 at 03:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381

To clarify: Neurodivergent means that your neurology diverges from that of a typical human. Your wiring isn't set to standard. You're literally built differently.

While there can be a number of comorbidities that come with neurodivergent conditions, for the most part they are learning or social disorders, not mental disorders. There's no cognitive issue here, no delusions, you just process information differently.

And honestly, in most cases, there's nothing "wrong" with a neurodivergent individual. It's not like having a lame leg or being diabetic, the "disability" comes from how our society is designed to cater to a specific paradigm and makes certain assumptions about individuals that aren't actually 100% true, If our society was structured in a different way, these traits might instead be neutral quirks or even outright advantageous.

The reason they're called siders or disabilities is less because it's the literal truth and more because it's the only way to get some people to take them seriously as things that exist.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to be hyper honest because no one else seems to know how to broach this with you:

I, and other neurodivergent people like me, are NOT disabled and we prefer to be known as "differently abled" rather than being disabled which implies lesser-ness to others, this is a topic that is very serious and can cause hurt feelings, and I STRONGLY suggest you choose your words very very carefully when talking about it when it comes to this specifically. I know you have an unusual way of thinking, and the people here are aware of what your like, but many people won't know you and they won't be as forgiving or understanding if you make a mistake.

do you understand?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not like having a lame leg or being diabetic, the "disability" comes from how our society is designed to cater to a specific paradigm and makes certain assumptions about individuals that aren't actually 100% true, If our society was structured in a different way, these traits might instead be neutral quirks or even outright advantageous.
    This isn't 100% true, while it doesn't happen for most of the others dyspraxia can very much partially manifest as a physical disability. It doesn't matter how much society changes, we just flat out have less physical coordination.

It is however not a term for mental disabilities.

I, and other neurodivergent people like me, are NOT disabled and we prefer to be known as "differently abled" rather than being disabled which implies lesser-ness to others,
    Speak for yourself, I'm 100% happy to call myself disabled* and consider 'differently abled', 'diffability', and other such terms to be pretentious. If I'm talking about an ND person who isn't disabled, like quite a few of my friends, I'll refer to it as 'having a condition'.

Like with the 'person with autism not autistic person' thing it can be very personal.

* Because I am.

Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Speak for yourself, I'm 100% happy to call myself disabled* and consider 'differently abled', 'diffability', and other such terms to be pretentious. If I'm talking about an ND person who isn't disabled, like quite a few of my friends, I'll refer to it as 'having a condition'.

Like with the 'person with autism not autistic person' thing it can be very personal.

* Because I am.
    I will then. I am NOT pretentious when I say that!!

I refuse to be coddled, and SCREW anyone who calls me disabled, Anon! you may be fine with that, but I'm not. sure I'll go with "having a condition" to, but I'm not accepting disabled. Screw that. Screw that forever.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-05-19 at 04:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

All I will add to this discussion is that if someone said this IRL, I would leave the room.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't think ive ever seen a comment get every single person who read it to be the exact same level of uncomfortable before.

So anyway...

Apparently UK laws forbid electrical outlets in the bathroom.
    I always assumed it was just that bathrooms were small and kitchens were not, and those were the only rooms with plumbing access Ive seen some civil war era houses that also have the washing machine in the kitchen area because the bathrooms are, well, toilet sized, or shower sized if they have one.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-05-19 at 05:53 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You are correct. Most houses built after the 90s probably have a utility room in them (it would be rare to NOT see one in a non-custom home). In slightly older homes, if there isn't a utility room then they are placed in the garage. Larger apartments may have a utility room while smaller ones may have a connection for a stacked unit in the kitchen. Let's see what I am aware of/can remember...

First house (built 1960) and second home (built 1907) I lived in: Laundry room in the garage. My folks added the garage connection to the second home when they bought it (detached garage).

Rental house in college: Dedicated closet in the kitchen

First two apartments after college: Had connection for a one piece efficiency combo in the kitchen.

Three rental houses: Two (both 1970ish) had garage connections and one (1990) had a utility room.

Our house: Utility room.

Parent's current house: Garage connection (1980 house).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm going to be hyper honest because no one else seems to know how to broach this with you:

I, and other neurodivergent people like me, are NOT disabled and we prefer to be known as "differently abled" rather than being disabled which implies lesser-ness to others, this is a topic that is very serious and can cause hurt feelings, and I STRONGLY suggest you choose your words very very carefully when talking about it when it comes to this specifically. I know you have an unusual way of thinking, and the people here are aware of what your like, but many people won't know you and they won't be as forgiving or understanding if you make a mistake.

do you understand?
    Yes. I understand.

29. - Top - End - #389

we prefer to be known as "differently abled" rather than being disabled which implies lesser-ness to others, this is a topic that is very
    Or neither. Neither also works for some.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Or neither. Neither also works for some.
    *narrows eyes* .....I acknowledge this possibility as valid. I guess.

Hmph. I see whats going on here, let me cut this off before it gets out of control: I apologize for speaking for others rather than my own experiences.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-05-20 at 12:25 AM.