New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Two-weapon fighting with two-handed weapons

I know of the revenant blade prc, which allows you to treat the valenar double scimitar as held with two hands even when used with a mouth-pick.
    But that prc is restricted by race. So I was looking for other methods to play with 2 or more two-handed weapons, and the best I could find is the bloodstorm blade. At 4th level they can throw a weapon and command it to immediately return in their hands as a free action.
    That made me think if it was possible to draw a second weapon with the eager special quality before having the first weapon return. Both returning the weapon and drawing an eager weapon are free actions. But is it legal to treat the eager weapon as an off hand attack?
    am was here

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Two-weapon fighting with two-handed weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Pezzo View Post
    ...I was looking for other methods to play with 2 or more two-handed weapons, and the best I could find is the bloodstorm blade...
    Any race with four or more hands (like a Thri-Kreen) should be able to wield two two-handed weapons at once.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone can use a two-handed weapon and make TWF offhand attacks with armor spikes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

In the adaptation of the prestige class for revenant blade, there is wording for 'adapting' to other culturally significant/exclusive exotic weapons.

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGuy

Let's say I want to play a human with 2 falchions, is there any way to do it while getting 2 handed power attack?
    am was here

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I know of the revenant blade prc, which allows you to treat the valenar double scimitar as held with two hands even when used with a mouth-pick.
    But that prc is restricted by race. So I was looking for other methods to play with 2 or more two-handed weapons, and the best I could find is the bloodstorm blade. At 4th level they can throw a weapon and command it to immediately return in their hands as a free action.
    That made me think if it was possible to draw a second weapon with the eager special quality before having the first weapon return. Both returning the weapon and drawing an eager weapon are free actions. But is it legal to treat the eager weapon as an off hand attack?
    I don't think the bloodstorm blade combo works. You'd be fighting with 2 weapons, but only one at a time. It's already legal to use your weapons interchangeably without two weapon fighting and there's no benefit to throwing 2h handed outside of bloodstorm blade and power attack. Mechanically speaking, the weapon returns to your hand immediately, just like you can't use a free action between the immediate attacks of a cleave you can't use a free action between the attack and the return of the lightning ricochet thrown weapon. If you don't use your next opportunity to grab the weapon with a free action I'd say it drops. But this is all my opinion. You should totally ask your DM. It's not like your off-hand 2h weapon gets full str bonus because you aren't actually using a second pair of hands. Then again, you might just be better off using rapid shot than TWF. You get to use it for your melee or ranged attacks. Same with point blank shot.

Let's say I want to play a human with 2 falchions, is there any way to do it while getting 2 handed power attack?
    Use a 4 armed race like thri-kreen.

The other option is to use the girallon's blessing spell to get 2 extra fully functional arms. Just remember that if you aren't using light weapons with your extra attacks you're taking a -4 to attacks.
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-05-19 at 09:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

There are a few templates that will give you extra arms. Obah-Blessed (Dungeon 136, p60) is pretty good - it gives you four or six arms and some really nice stat boosts. If you're not allowed Dungeon or Drag Mag material, I'd probably go with Insectile template from Savage species - some minor stat bonuses but instead of 1.5x damage from STR bonuses you'd get 2x damage since you're using three arms for each weapon.

For completeness's sake, I'll also mention Aberrant Limbs from DMG II. It's wholely subpar to Insectile template in this case though since you don't want the Multiweapon Fighting feat and doesn't give any stat boosts unlike the Insectile template.

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGuy

Thanks for the replies, I'll go the girallon's blessing route, the other options are too monstrous for what I had in mind
    am was here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Thanks for the replies, I'll go the girallon's blessing route, the other options are too monstrous for what I had in mind
    Totemist 2 would let you bind Girallon's Arms to your Arm chakra, ie, give you four extra arms. Good if you don't want to worry about how you're going to get a spell cast on you continuously.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No mention of diopsid? Not only does it allow you to do exactly this... it also lets you ignore DEX requirements on TWF feats.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by holbita View Post
    No mention of diopsid? Not only does it allow you to do exactly this... it also lets you ignore DEX requirements on TWF feats.
    Well, he does specifically want to play a Human.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

My DM allowed the Hero's Arm feat from Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance. It's got that nice WotC stamp on the box so it's technically official first party material. Only problem is in comes online late, with a +15BAB requirement.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    My DM allowed the Hero's Arm feat from Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance. It's got that nice WotC stamp on the box so it's technically official first party material. Only problem is in comes online late, with a +15BAB requirement.
    WotC isn't publisher and its stamp doesn't automatically make material 1st party.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

14. - Top - End - #14

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    WotC isn't publisher and its stamp doesn't automatically make material 1st party.
    And I guess the Forgotten Realms logo and the game being played borrows a name from said logo, not to mention it was built off of 3rd edition doesn't count either does it?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    And I guess the Forgotten Realms logo and the game being played borrows a name from said logo, not to mention it was built off of 3rd edition doesn't count either does it?
    Not as far as I can tell. No reason to believe anything exclusively in a video game counts as first party for a table top game, but it's cool that your DM allowed it!

The Diopsid was what came to mind immediately for me too, as giant beetles wielding great swords are neat, but it sounds like that's not what is being looked for.

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LecternOfJasper View Post
    but it's cool that your DM allowed it!
    I agree...add some Strongarm Bracers, oversized TWF and sizing greatswords and we're off and running.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

1,000 gp and a couple of lost HP will net you a pair of warforged mighty arms grafts (FoE?) for two spare arms. Nothing in the grafts section or the specific graft text require you to be missing one or more arms to graft them onto yourself, so by all means, graft a second pair of arms on yourself.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    1,000 gp and a couple of lost HP will net you a pair of warforged mighty arms grafts (FoE?) for two spare arms. Nothing in the grafts section or the specific graft text require you to be missing one or more arms to graft them onto yourself, so by all means, graft a second pair of arms on yourself.
    Do note that only benefit posted in the graft section portion is slam attack and the arm/hand docents. Does say yay or nay about second pair of arms or using them to help with weapons. Check with DM as RAI is for mighty arms to replace your arms.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    It does put it in a no less official state than the Paizo-published September 2002 to September 2007 issues of Dungeon and Dragon magazines that are often referred to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Totemist 2 would let you bind Girallon's Arms to your Arm chakra, ie, give you four extra arms. Good if you don't want to worry about how you're going to get a spell cast on you continuously.
    Correction... It would be the totem chakra. It gives you two extra arms with claws and makes your normal arms have claws. In essence your DM could rule that you can only use the arms for the claw attacks but technically it would be possible to use TWF with two weapons as a human character at second level. The arm chakra bind for this soulmeld becomes ready to use at 9th level and it does not give you extra arms sadly although it does a pretty brutal scrapping grapple.

As an additional note. This would be one of three soulmelds you'd be able to use at this level. So there's a lot of room for more fun although this soulmeld would NEED your one chakra bind but for the sake for four arms. I'm sure you'd be happy with that. You could even take a feat to get another soulmeld (incarnum weapon) so you can run around with a ghost like sword that you can pump up it's enhancement bonus with your class skills. That could be one of your weapons whereas you can simply change out a normal weapon as you level up and find treasure. Although honestly you could ask your DM if he'd let you shape the same soulmeld twice. Then you're completely set weapon and arm wise.
    Last edited by Nikorasuko; 2024-05-27 at 11:31 PM.