New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default The Erfworld "Scripture"

In his musings when matters are looking particularly bleak, Vinny says that he "ain't got a lot of patience for quoting Scripture". He goes on to say "...but I do believe the Titans have a plan." My inference is that the "Scripture" Vinny mentions states rather definitively that the Titans have a plan, and Vinny agrees with that basic point despite being skeptical of or indifferent to some of the Scripture's other contents.

In Parson's latest Klog, we learn that libraries just pop into being with newly built or restored cities, with no indication of who wrote the books (my LOLErf to the contrary notwithstanding ). Presumably, the same is true of Scripture -- perhaps it really does directly reflect the word of the Titans.... (Admittedly, this is less notable in a world where every other book originates in the same way.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-11-21 at 04:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Erfworld "Scripture"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    In his musings when matters are looking particularly bleak, Vinny says that he "ain't got a lot of patience for quoting Scripture". He goes on to say "...but I do believe the Titans have a plan." My inference is that the "Scripture" Vinny mentions states rather definitively that the Titans have a plan, and Vinny agrees with that basic point despite being skeptical of or indifferent to some of the Scripture's other contents.

In Parson's latest Klog, we learn that libraries just pop into being with newly built or restored cities, with no indication of who wrote the books (my LOLErf to the contrary notwithstanding ). Presumably, the same is true of Scripture -- perhaps it really does directly reflect the word of the Titans.... (Admittedly, this is less notable in a world where every other book originates in the same way.)
    Interesting. I'd totally forgotten about that!

*goes back to reread*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

It's also interesting that Vinny's concept of the "City of Heroes" suggests that martial prowess in life is rewarded in the afterlife, a la Valhalla. This supports the (somewhat dark if you think about it) view that Erfworlders don't know of any real purpose in life other than war.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-11-21 at 08:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There is a very faint Highlanderish tinge to the story thus far. The Immortals fight amongst themselves, until there is only one. But what prize does Erfworld hold for the one willing to cut the Gordian Knot?

I concur that Stanley's real purpose was to summon Parson. So what is Parson's purpose?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.