New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Great Awakening

Arnold's hand reaches under his coat for a second, then stops and reverses direction, coming out empty.

"Do that again, sir, and I'll have to do something about it. As much as I'd love to see you criminals beat each other senseless, we do have a crime to solvel. And as for you..."

His now-empty hand extends towards Jeffrey, touching the bruises left by the magical attack. A soft white light illuminates the fingertips for a moment, echoed by a similar light emanating from the cross necklace he is wearing, and whatever pain might have resulted lessens to a faint dull ache.

(OOC: Lay on Hands for 5. If Jeffrey tries to flinch away, melee touch of (1d20+5)[9].)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC: Is it really a good idea to be attacking a guy who can drop your character in one round? OOC Edit: Ah, Arnold has reacted, so looks like Reed and Jeffrey will be having some issues.

Jeffrey Williton

The attack caught Jeffrey off-guard and pushed the already crouching man down on to all fours, several small droplets of blood escape his mouth. Pushing himself up in a sudden and violent action. Jeffrey turns to face his attacker. Moving forward to come up to reeds faces, not even noticing Arnolds hand touch him, as he moves past. Eying Reed off less than an inch from his face, Jeffrey speaks in a cold but steady voice.

"That was a bad career move, Mr Reed. Very bad indeed."

Moving away from the man who just attacked him, Jeffrey goes back to where he was, removing a small cloth from his jacket he wipes his blood off the floor with practiced care.
    Last edited by WrathOfLife; 2009-06-02 at 07:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: In retrospect, he could have tried a light spell, not the magical equivalent to a couple of gunshots.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Belial_the_Leveler View Post
    OOC: In retrospect, he could have tried a light spell, not the magical equivalent to a couple of gunshots.
    OOC: Oh well, maybe he'll be able to save Jeffreys life or something to settle the score.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

After the release of the three bolts of... whatever it was and the flash of light, the temperature drops by at least twenty degrees within the building. You get the feeling that something is not right... apart from the corpses, that is.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

6. - Top - End - #66

Arnold Bernman

Arnold hadn't survived close to twenty years in the force, half of that in SCU, by not listening to his instincts when they screamed at him. A single swift motion ducks his hand underneath his coat, drawing out the government-issue Smith&Wesson .40 semi-automatic pistol from its hidden holster. He keeps it pointed towards the ground for the moment, but says nothing, scanning the room intently.

Spot:(1d20+10)[23]
    Listen:(1d20+10)[29]

7. - Top - End - #67

Jeffrey Williton

Seeing Arnold draw his weapon now, after the cop hadn't so much as layed a hand on Reed caused Jeffrey some concern. Reaching into his suit Jeffrey withdraws his long barreled silenced firearm. Unlike Arnold Jeffrey keeps his firearm pointed at the roof as he scans the area.

spot - (1d20-1)[5]
    listen - (1d20-1)[18]

Keeping his eye's open just like Arnold, Jeffrey moves to grab Norman and keep man low and behind him.

"Mr Thorpe it appears Mr Reed has attracted us some unwanted attention. May I suggest we make our way upstairs?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

OOC-
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, he's panicking. I though that would punctuate how nervous he's getting. He'll make nice later. Also, NE??? I think my sheet is messed up, I put in NG, or so I thought. sorry, apparently the gods of MW hate me

As the temperature drops, Reed turns from the other man and peers around like a nervous deer. He sniffs a few times and mutters in gaelic again, he scowls and pulls his gun out from behind his back, thumbing the safety on and off.

"Christ, whatever tha' thing is tha' did this is, Ah think its comin' back"

Spot (1d20-1)[5]
    Listen (1d20-1)[0]
    Casting Detect Magic for as many rounds as possible.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

9. - Top - End - #69

(OOC: So, did anyone besides Jeffrey ping on the Evil-O-Meter?)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Seeing the three..."things" strike the man called "Jeffrey", Arcos starts to yank out his Thompson. The sudden drop in temperature, however, stops him from actually aiming it at Reed. Instead, he holds the rare pistol out and pointed to the ground. There is a manic grin to his face.

"Alright, Mr. Reed, you got me, there's magic. Hope it's handy for whatever's coming up, though.

...hey, uh, Jeffrey, was it? You alright man?"
    As he says this, Arcos tries to fade into whatever shadow is available, scanning the room while doing so.

For the DM's Eyes Only
    Spoiler
    Show

Gonna do a Spot and Listen check, followed by an attempt to Sneak.

Spot: (1d20+6)[22]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[25]
    Sneak: (1d20+11)[26]

Edit: (OOC: FYI, Arcos is Chaotic Evil.)
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-06-02 at 10:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    OOC-
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, he's panicking. I though that would punctuate how nervous he's getting. He'll make nice later. Also, NE??? I think my sheet is messed up, I put in NG, or so I thought. sorry, apparently the gods of MW hate me
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

No problem, just be aware he may go for some pay back. I'm having similar issues with MW's removing text or changing it. Very frustrating.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm a little confused, though, as to how Reed saw the unbelief in magic as a cause for violence Frustration and exasperation, maybe, but it seems a little strange to me how a person would do the magical equivalent of pulling out a gun and shooting someone in the foot just because they weren't Aware.

13. - Top - End - #73

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

He thinks that this was caused by an incredibly powerful mage. He is scared and a cocky, ignorant unaware just makes him more tense and angry.

14. - Top - End - #74

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    we need an OOC thread for this

Jeffrey Williton

Half walking half pushing Norman towards the stairs, Jeffrey responds to the question, "I am well thank you Mr Buss, although I suggest we make our way up stairs. I have a feeling we will be safer once we have seen what we are facing on the camera's"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

The cold is pervasive and persistent but nothing comes out of the dark to attack. Moving up to the bank's archives, you begin playing back the tapes from around the guard's time of death.

You see the guard outside the vault doing his normal security sweeps as the bank is closing. Nothing seems to be wrong at first sight. Another security guard goes up to the archive room and comes down with three pairs of oxygen tanks. He opens the vault as the day ends and the bank's manager is preparing to leave-you recognize the man from the case files-and the pair of vault guards come in, are handed their breathing apparatuses and are sealed within the vault by the other security guard. Since they need the oxygen, the vault must have been airtight.

The second security guard and the manager leave and nothing happens for awhile. Then the image shifts to show the security guard dead, the vault opened and no-one alive in the bank. Someone, it seems, has tampered with the tapes... and the tempering isn't reported in the case file.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Watenabe Ken'ichi

Ken contemplates the video, then files it away for more thought later. He begins looking through the records for personel files, trying to find a way to verify the correct identity with the guards downstairs as well as a possible dress code usually enforced for the security personel.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Norman Thorpe

Norman is all too happy to be let away from this... madnes.

While his reason screams at him, the other, calmer voice tells him to let it be. And follow the nice man who wants to avoid trouble. Wise man that.

"Yes, let's. The surveillance tapes need viewing anyway."

After viewing the records, Norman ponders what he saw.

"You know, that doesn't really make sense. You can give people all the oxygene they want, if the level of carbon dioxide rises too high, you still asphyxiate. Or maybe they have something in the vault for that. But what tampered with the tapes... I ned to check some things. I am no expert at electronics, but I have a basic understanding of security technology... "

And so he goes on to check the various cables and whatnot of the system, trying to find evidence of manipulations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for signs of manipulation (Computers): (1d20+10)[18]

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Seeing that Mr. Thorpe was checking the computers, Arcos saunters over to help.

"Hey, doc, I know a few things about computers. Need a hand?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Norman Thorpe

Norman nods at Arcos, glad to see that some people are interested in cooperation after all.

"We are working on this case together. Your help is appreciated."

Lycar

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

"No prob. Now let's see what we have here..." He twirls his pistol and sticks it back in its holster, and gets to work.

For the DM's Eyes Only
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge: Computers roll
    [roll]1d20+3.5[/roll]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Crap, the roller can't handle decimal points. )

For the DM's Eyes Only
    Spoiler
    Show

[roll0]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: OH COME ON!!! Stupid forum roller. )

For the DM's Eyes Only

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[21]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Acros and Norman check the system archives; while the tapes are guarded in a secure mainframe behind a steel door and require a key to open, there appears to be a secondary security system; there's a mini-camera hidden within the automatic fire extinguisher looking over the mainframe's access point. The bank's computer has no file of the camera footage but Acros and Norman uncover an interesting find; the computer is continiously uploading files to the internet. Following the trail, they find the server where the hidden camera footage is being copied and sent to.

It would seem that after the recent unsolved robberies, someone rigged a hidden little security system and kept the footage online instead of within the system. Whoever did that had good cause; watching the footage during the robbery, you see nothing happening. But the images from when the preliminary investigation from normal police is done are far more interesting; one of the investigators came up, unlocked the mainframe and took one of the tapes then replaced it with another...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

"Huh..." Arcos scratches his head at the data."You seeing what I'm seeing, doc? Looks like one of the police investigators messed around with the security tapes."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Norman Thorpe

Norman nods gravely.

"Indeed. We should make a copy of that. More then one ideally... you know, as insurance."

Sitting up with a sigh, Norman twiddles his thumbs for a moment, as if thinking about something.

"May I be so blunt as to ask what your.. speciality is? You know about security systems and seem to know about firearms too. Private security contractor?"

Lycar

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Arcos chuckles a bit. "Not quite, doc. Technically I'm just a firearm mechanic, fixing guns and stuff, and I just really like guns, and I like firing them." He eyes Arnold with a wary glance. "I, uh, picked up security skills on my own. Mostly by surfing the internet in my free time, stuff like that.

...so, what about you? Private Investigator, like Magnum P.I.? "
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-06-03 at 05:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

(OOC- Can I get the results of the Detect Magic I cast, I maintained it while looking around the room and when I walked up to the video room with the others)

28. - Top - End - #88

Jeffrey Williton

Keeping his firearm out and ready, even as others put there's away, Jeffrey watch's the screen over Arcos' shoulder.

"Mr Bernman, do you know this man?"

29. - Top - End - #89

It takes a moment for Arnold to respond. "If you're going to address me, it's Sgt. Bernman, or 'Officer'. As for your question, I Doubt it - it's been years since I did any work alongside the regulars. SCU hasn't gotten their crack at this site yet, so it's not one of our boys."

All the same, he takes a hard look at the screen, trying to catch a glimpse of the suspicious officer's face and identify him.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Officah, if I may yer bein a bit rude 'bout yah title. I sencerely doubt 'at 'im not callin ya sir is gonna make much of ah difference in tha case"