New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: NarutoITP OOC V: F Dosn't mean Fail, it Just Means Try Again!

Applicable styles include, but are not limited to, Savate, Karate, Krav Maga, Boxing, Kickboxing, Taekwondo, Kung Fu. Look at those, for starters.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I can't find the "Hard style" or "Striking styles" that you're talking about. I'm just blind when it comes to wikipedia.
    It's like Google. You type a search term in, and click "Search". However, "hard style" isn't in the main "Martial Arts" article. That's what I meant to look at.

Anyways.

Perhaps Muay Thai might fit?

Now, I don't want you to just say "yes" because it's the first thing I suggest. I want you to look at it, and consider if it works. If it doesn't, go to that box labeled "Search", type "Martial Arts", and click the "Search" button.

Behold. It's easier than posting on a forum.

Edit: Also, the styles Frozen suggested.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2010-04-29 at 07:39 PM.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    It's time for...

13 CBS' SUPER SPECIAL CRAP MEME HOUR!

*Fanfare*

On today's 13CBSSSCMH; puns! Really, really bad ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Do it yourself!

What new lows will he sink to next? Find out next time on...

B]13 CBS' SUPER SPECIAL CRAP MEME HOUR![/B]

(...I'm a horrible, horrible person and I deserve to be shot. )
    "...13, I wish to speak to you alone in my office.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow, that's a lot of internets Thanks guys.

@ Frozen: Very interesting character. Do you have a rough estimate of her power level, though1? At the moment she seems to be quite powerful, but not overwhelmingly so. If that was what you were going for, then what you have is fine, but you may need to make adjustments if necessary. Right now, she "feels" like a high B or low A.

@ Callos: "Orders, Hokage?"

@ Silverraptor: so you need a style that focuses a lot on iterative strikes and launching moves? As Frozen and others have suggested, Tae Kwon Do's kicks may be of some use to you, and I'm under the impression that Wing Chung kung fu does a lot of quick punching. What do you mean by "fluent", though?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-04-29 at 08:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

@ Callos: "Orders, Hokage?"
    "Juunijinshouhou no Jutsu!"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

To commemorate Frozen's new character, I made this one:

Spoiler
    Show

And another one for lulz:

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    "Juunijinshouhou no Jutsu!"
    Spoiler
    Show

As an aside, I believe that Erayue is in the Tower at the moment (or, at least, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to be there). If anyone needs his assistance...
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-04-29 at 09:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I knew I forgot to do something! Good job on the Ichibi and it's container FF. ^.^

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, the Exam Tower? I'll have Sokaku look for him.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Oh, the Exam Tower? I'll have Sokaku look for him.
    Sweet. Thanks.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

It's time for...

*Fanfare*

On today's 13CBSSSCMH; puns! Really, really bad ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Do it yourself!

What new lows will he sink to next? Find out next time on...

(...I'm a horrible, horrible person and I deserve to be shot. )

Momo
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

And another one for lulz:

Spoiler
    Show

*Double's over laughing so hard*
    ...*Gasp*

Heh...heh heh... We-Well... what I mean by... f-fluent means that his moves naturally mix into his next attack. For example, if he punches, his next attack uses the momentum of his punch perfectly and there is no wasted movement doing anything.

*Still is laughing from the picture above*

@^- *Meanwhile, after several more painful minutes of laughter later*

Hahahahahaha!!!

I'm going to die laughing at this rate, Kasanip!!!
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-04-29 at 11:08 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Momo
    Spoiler
    Show

You know you've mastered a foreign language when you understand the puns in that language.

Oh, and...

Heh...heh heh... We-Well... what I mean by... f-fluent means that his moves naturally mix into his next attack. For example, if he punches, his next attack uses the momentum of his punch perfectly and there is no wasted movement doing anything.
    Hrm...I can't think of any martial art that doesn't do that. One that flows very gracefully into iterative attacks might be Capoeira.

...you could do worse than a dance-fighting three-tailed tiger demon, I think.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-04-29 at 11:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Hrm...I can't think of any martial art that doesn't do that. One that flows very gracefully into iterative attacks might be Capoeira.

...you could do worse than a dance-fighting two-tailed tiger demon, I think.
    Three-tailed tiger demon. And if all Martial arts are like that, then I guess one of the earlier ones suggested will do.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

You know you've mastered a foreign language when you understand the puns in that language.
    I did not understand them... but trying to make a joke, a picture is easier for me

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

By the way 13, how are we supposed to make the image ourselves? Just copy it onto inkscape and then add text over it?

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

I did not understand them... but trying to make a joke, a picture is easier for me
    Oh. Uh...

...it was still an awesome picture.

By the way 13, how are we supposed to make the image ourselves? Just copy it onto inkscape and then add text over it?

Pretty much. Just copy the image, paste it into whichever image editor you like to use (I did it in Microsoft Paint--it's terrible and incredibly limited, but for crappy photoshopping like these CSI 4 Panels, it's enough), erase the existing text in the speech bubbles, and make your own. Just make sure to have the 3rd panel be a really bad pun.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty much. Just copy the image, paste it into whichever image editor you like to use (I did it in Microsoft Paint--it's terrible and incredibly limited, but for crappy photoshopping like these CSI 4 Panels, it's enough), erase the existing text in the speech bubbles, and make your own. Just make sure to have the 3rd panel be a really bad pun.
    Might help to have something from The Who playing as you do it.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Might help to have something from The Who playing as you do it.
    That too.

YEAAAAAAAAH

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Someone might want to explain to Kasanip the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    By the way, I'm away this weekend until... Sunday, starting now.
    This.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Someone might want to explain to Kasanip the joke.
    Very well...

1) First off, you might be aware of this already, Kasanip, but the comic is read from top left to top right, then bottom left to bottom right. So Tomoya's comic goes like this:

"Tomoya's pretty handy with a brush."

"Uh huh."

"Her technique is always..."

"...write on."

"YEAAAAAAAH"

2) The pun here is the third to last sentence: "Write on". Normally you'd say "right on" (an informal way to say "correct", or in this case, "well done" or "done skillfully"), but here I said "write on". "Write" and "right" are pronounced exactly the same in English. Tomoya is known for her calligraphy skills (aka writing things), so saying "Write on" references that. In short, instead of saying "right on", I said "write on", and "write on" is a reference to Tomoya's calligraphy techniques. Most English puns take advantage of the fact that, in English, there are lots of homophones (words that sound the same but may be spelled different and have different meanings, like right and write, horse and hoarse, light (as in the bright thing) and light (as in weight), etc.), and the fact that many words and combinations of words have multiple meanings.

3) The third to last panel, the one where the man says, "...write on", is supposed to be an image of the man putting on sunglasses. In English, doing little gestures like that before making a really bad joke (like puns) often increases the humor.

4) The last panel, the "YEAAAAH", is more obscure. The entire comic is a reference to an American drama show called "CSI: Miami", a show about forensic investigators (I believe they're called 科捜研, かそうけん in Japanese), and the guy you see in the comic is the main character of the show, a man named Horatio. The beginning of every episode goes like this:

Some random person: *Says something about the corpse that they've found*

Horatio: *Says something witty while putting on his sunglasses*

Then the Opening Song plays, which is a song by a band named The Who. It begins with a man screaming "YEAAAAAH" while the very first image you see during the Opening Song is a picture of the Miami skyline, the image that you see in the last panel. That's why the last panel is a picture of Miami with the words "YEAAAAAH" put on top of it.

The last panel is mostly irrelevant to the whole joke.

Actually, I might as well go and explain the puns for all the other comics I made...

Spoiler
    Show

#1: "Watch out" in English means, "be careful"("Watch out, there's a car coming your way!"), though you'd usually say it in a context where the person you're saying it to is very close to danger. For example, if the person you're talking to is about to get hit by a car, you might say, "Watch out!" to them to get them to pay attention. "Watch" also means a small clock in English, and Toki's powers have to do with time, and therefore clocks (somewhat).

#2: "Party animal" in English means, "someone who is very wild and sometimes ill-behaved at a party, like an animal" ("He's such a party animal--he drank a lot, yelled a lot, and even danced on the table.") Kurokuma's powers have to do with summoning animals, and the joke is a reference to this, even though there isn't any indication o Kurokuma being wild at parties.

#3: "Heavy metal" in English can mean either "a heavy piece of metal" or "a kind of rock music" ("I love listening to heavy metal."). Erayue weighs at least 1000 pounds (at least 450 kilograms), and his body is made of metal, so he's a heavy piece of metal, in a way.

#4: "Rock out" in English means, "to play and/or experience rock music very passionately and energetically" ("He really enjoyed that concert; he started rocking out by the end of it!"). Team Granite is from Iwagakure, which is famous for its Earth techniques (and therefore has to do with rocks). In this case, "rock out" is used to indicate that Team Granite should take the 2nd Exam as an opportunity to really show off and demonstrate their skills, while also being a really bad pun.

#5: "Need a hand" in English means, "to require help" ("I need a hand with this project, I can't do it alone."). In this case, though, the Hokage is missing an arm (and therefore missing a hand), so he "needs a hand" in the sense that he could use a replacement limb. This joke is...not a very nice one.

#6: "Bit of a shock" in English means, "to be surprised in a negative way" ("It came as bit of a shock to me that my friend's brother died."). Of course, "shock" also has to do with electricity. Gan was almost killed by Raikou's electricity attack, so "bit of shock" can mean, "Gan was surprised" or also mean, "Gan was hit by a lightning attack". This sort of pun (linking shock and electricity together) is commonly used in certain English movies.

#7: "Pig out" in English means, "to eat a lot of food, usually in a fast and unmannerly way, the way a pig would eat" ("He really likes to pig out; every day he'll buy a dozen hamburgers and eat them all by himself."). Although Ishida has never been indicated as being piggish in terms of eating food, his powers do have to do with boars, which, in the mind of most English speakers, are almost the same as pigs. Thus, "pig out" here is a reference to Ishida's powers.

#8: "Bird brain" in English means, "stupid and/or inattentive" ("He doesn't even know what the capital of the US is. What a bird brain!"). This pun works the exact same way that Ishida's joke works, by referencing the fact that Yasuko's ability has to do with chickens (which are birds).

#10: "Stick it to them" in English means, "to do something bad to someone else, usually in an insolent or rebellious manner" ("Stick it to the man!" = "Disobey and be insolent towards the oppressive government!"). According to Frozen Feet, shrikes (which are birds) like to impale their prey on sharp branches before eating them; in other words, they like to stick their food on to sharp things.

The rest of the comics don't use puns at all.

...hopefully I haven't embarrassed myself by spending several minutes explaining how the puns work, only to find out that Kasanip already understood them.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-04-30 at 12:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, that song is called "Won't Get Fooled Again". The part used in the show is towards the end of the song.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

@ Frozen: Very interesting character. Do you have a rough estimate of her power level, though1? At the moment she seems to be quite powerful, but not overwhelmingly so. If that was what you were going for, then what you have is fine, but you may need to make adjustments if necessary. Right now, she "feels" like a high B or low A.
    Somewhere around B and A rank was what I was aiming for, so if she feels like it, I've succeeded in my goal. :3
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Very well...

1) First off, you might be aware of this already, Kasanip, but the comic is read from top left to top right, then bottom left to bottom right. So Tomoya's comic goes like this:

"Tomoya's pretty handy with a brush."

"Uh huh."

"Her technique is always..."

"...write on."

"YEAAAAAAAH"

2) The pun here is the third to last sentence: "Write on". Normally you'd say "right on" (an informal way to say "correct", or in this case, "well done" or "done skillfully"), but here I said "write on". "Write" and "right" are pronounced exactly the same in English. Tomoya is known for her calligraphy skills (aka writing things), so saying "Write on" references that. In short, instead of saying "right on", I said "write on", and "write on" is a reference to Tomoya's calligraphy techniques. Most English puns take advantage of the fact that, in English, there are lots of homophones (words that sound the same but may be spelled different and have different meanings, like right and write, horse and hoarse, light (as in the bright thing) and light (as in weight), etc.), and the fact that many words and combinations of words have multiple meanings.

3) The third to last panel, the one where the man says, "...write on", is supposed to be an image of the man putting on sunglasses. In English, doing little gestures like that before making a really bad joke (like puns) often increases the humor.

4) The last panel, the "YEAAAAH", is more obscure. The entire comic is a reference to an American drama show called "CSI: Miami", a show about forensic investigators (I believe they're called 科捜研, かそうけん in Japanese), and the guy you see in the comic is the main character of the show, a man named Horatio. The beginning of every episode goes like this:

Some random person: *Says something about the corpse that they've found*

Horatio: *Says something witty while putting on his sunglasses*

Then the Opening Song plays, which is a song by a band named The Who. It begins with a man screaming "YEAAAAAH" while the very first image you see during the Opening Song is a picture of the Miami skyline, the image that you see in the last panel. That's why the last panel is a picture of Miami with the words "YEAAAAAH" put on top of it.

The last panel is mostly irrelevant to the whole joke.

Actually, I might as well go and explain the puns for all the other comics I made...

Spoiler
    Show

#1: "Watch out" in English means, "be careful"("Watch out, there's a car coming your way!"), though you'd usually say it in a context where the person you're saying it to is very close to danger. For example, if the person you're talking to is about to get hit by a car, you might say, "Watch out!" to them to get them to pay attention. "Watch" also means a small clock in English, and Toki's powers have to do with time, and therefore clocks (somewhat).

#2: "Party animal" in English means, "someone who is very wild and sometimes ill-behaved at a party, like an animal" ("He's such a party animal--he drank a lot, yelled a lot, and even danced on the table.") Kurokuma's powers have to do with summoning animals, and the joke is a reference to this, even though there isn't any indication o Kurokuma being wild at parties.

#3: "Heavy metal" in English can mean either "a heavy piece of metal" or "a kind of rock music" ("I love listening to heavy metal."). Erayue weighs at least 1000 pounds (at least 450 kilograms), and his body is made of metal, so he's a heavy piece of metal, in a way.

#4: "Rock out" in English means, "to play and/or experience rock music very passionately and energetically" ("He really enjoyed that concert; he started rocking out by the end of it!"). Team Granite is from Iwagakure, which is famous for its Earth techniques (and therefore has to do with rocks). In this case, "rock out" is used to indicate that Team Granite should take the 2nd Exam as an opportunity to really show off and demonstrate their skills, while also being a really bad pun.

#5: "Need a hand" in English means, "to require help" ("I need a hand with this project, I can't do it alone."). In this case, though, the Hokage is missing an arm (and therefore missing a hand), so he "needs a hand" in the sense that he could use a replacement limb. This joke is...not a very nice one.

#6: "Bit of a shock" in English means, "to be surprised in a negative way" ("It came as bit of a shock to me that my friend's brother died."). Of course, "shock" also has to do with electricity. Gan was almost killed by Raikou's electricity attack, so "bit of shock" can mean, "Gan was surprised" or also mean, "Gan was hit by a lightning attack". This sort of pun (linking shock and electricity together) is commonly used in certain English movies.

#7: "Pig out" in English means, "to eat a lot of food, usually in a fast and unmannerly way, the way a pig would eat" ("He really likes to pig out; every day he'll buy a dozen hamburgers and eat them all by himself."). Although Ishida has never been indicated as being piggish in terms of eating food, his powers do have to do with boars, which, in the mind of most English speakers, are almost the same as pigs. Thus, "pig out" here is a reference to Ishida's powers.

#8: "Bird brain" in English means, "stupid and/or inattentive" ("He doesn't even know what the capital of the US is. What a bird brain!"). This pun works the exact same way that Ishida's joke works, by referencing the fact that Yasuko's ability has to do with chickens (which are birds).

#10: "Stick it to them" in English means, "to do something bad to someone else, usually in an insolent or rebellious manner" ("Stick it to the man!" = "Disobey and be insolent towards the oppressive government!"). According to Frozen Feet, shrikes (which are birds) like to impale their prey on sharp branches before eating them; in other words, they like to stick their food on to sharp things.

The rest of the comics don't use puns at all.

...hopefully I haven't embarrassed myself by spending several minutes explaining how the puns work, only to find out that Kasanip already understood them.
    Thank you very much for writing so much just for me. I am sorry to have made you waste so much time, but I am happy to understand the jokes too

24. - Top - End - #744
    Halfling in the Playground

13? That is correct. You are made of win.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you very much for writing so much just for me. I am sorry to have made you waste so much time, but I am happy to understand the jokes too
    You're welcome. And time isn't wasted when it's enjoyed.

I'm also posting to announce that I'll be deadtiming from now until about next Wednesday. I've...been goofing off a lot more than I should have, especially considering various real life issues I need to sort out (damn exams and work study...).

See you next week.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

aaaahh! I just realized. they replace killed team members in Naruto!

I had forgotten, now I need some explanation for why Risanagi's Team has been a team member short for 2.5 years, and have to introduce another character to fill in the gap.....

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: NarutoITP OOC V: F Dosn't mean Fail, it Just Means Try Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    aaaahh! I just realized. they replace killed team members in Naruto!

I had forgotten, now I need some explanation for why Risanagi's Team has been a team member short for 2.5 years, and have to introduce another character to fill in the gap.....
    They could just be hiring whoever is free at the time of their missions

The team to rescue Sasuke was made that way, so it seems there's no rule saying the members have to be permanent.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Just dropping by to post this.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

LIES AND SLANDER!

30. - Top - End - #750
    Halfling in the Playground

Just dropping by to post this.

Spoiler
    Show
    13, you now have officially (I think) more internets than even HG, Draken, or Prime. Seriously? Do this stuff more often because IT IS FUNNY.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!