New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Oh hey, that's a flying tree.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

I feel a storm coming... Does Misho actually believe what he's saying, or is he just trying to push Marena's buttons and see how she reacts?
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shaman View Post
    I feel a storm coming... Does Misho actually believe what he's saying, or is he just trying to push Marena's buttons and see how she reacts?
    I think he has ulterior motives, but that doesn't mean he isn't being at least partially honest.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Still, that was pretty much guaranteed to push her into serious, serious violence.

That may be the single most painful thing she could hear at this stage. Mostly 'cuz it rings uncomfortably true...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eco-Mono View Post
    I think he has ulterior motives, but that doesn't mean he isn't being at least partially honest.
    By "partially" you mean "completely".

Marena, by trying to one-up her mother, is acting in the exact vein of her mother. Except Marena is reacting to the one-up, rather than proactively one-upping her mother then off-handedly rubbing her face in it.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think we know enough about either (mommy, at least), but I think "completely" is quite a stretch. Sure, Marena is competitive, she has some mommy issues and she can be quite manipulative, but that's like saying everyone with manipulation 4+ is the same.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, well, that's why the Unconquered Sun gave Solars perfect defenses.

I'm thinking either Marena is going to need to sacrifice her desire to outdo her mother or else Marena hasn't really passed the Trial of Humility and this is Misho trying to get her to accept her mother's role in her life.

Edit: Also, I like "Keychain of Creation 4: Deathknight Needs Hug Badly?" for the next thread title.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2010-06-18 at 02:33 AM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe, but I can't help thinking "yeah, like all solar theurges are, if anything, humble and never want to become more powerful when faced with adversity they can't overcome ;) "

Edit: Deathknight needs hug sounds good, although I liked "Abominations Against Creation Needs A Hug" more.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2010-06-18 at 02:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer "Deathknight needs hug badly."

It's punchier, it hits the character who needs it most, and it's more technically accurate.

There are a lot of Anathema in the core cast, but not so much with actual abominations against creation itself rather than the Immaculate Order's philosophies. Just the deathknight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shaman View Post
    Maybe, but I can't help thinking "yeah, like all solar theurges are, if anything, humble and never want to become more powerful when faced with adversity they can't overcome ;) "

Edit: Deathknight needs hug sounds good, although I liked "Abominations Against Creation Needs A Hug" more.
    Nothing says a sorcerer can't go right back to being a hubristic, craven, incurious homebody once he initiates. But everyone still has to pass their trials and master their pride once. It seems to me like Marena's issues with her mother are at least in part because she never learned to deal with her pride.

Now it's certainly possible that Marena has already passed the Trial of Humility and is backsliding (perhaps when she accepted the arranged marriage and stopped fighting her mother before she exalted.) But on the other hand, if Misho was trying to put her through the Trial of Humility by forcing her to confront her relationship with her Aria, I don't think he would tell her up front.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2010-06-18 at 04:54 AM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he seems to be pretty honest about it if that's what he wants to do. On the other hand, he already told her, and she admitted, that she wants to study magic to one-up mommy. She didn't flip out too much then, it's a little weird to bring it up now. Ok, it could make sense in the way that she's now at her emotional worst, so if she can take it now she can take it anytime, but it's still a stretch imo.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I prefer "Deathknight needs hug badly."
    I don't think Secret qualifies as a Deathknight, though. Not all Abyssals earn the title, you see. You need to go through training and indoctrination to become one, and I don't believe Secret would actually succeed in those.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

In light of the most recent update, I'm rather fond of calling the new thread "Now He's Only Twice Radiant Misho" due to him saying all sorts of silly things to Marena.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

In light of the most recent update, I'm rather fond of calling the new thread "Now He's Only Twice Radiant Misho" due to him saying all sorts of silly things to Marena.
    I disagree, i do belive most of the things have been said on purpose.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ettin in the Playground

There's something to be said for presentation, though.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    I don't think Secret qualifies as a Deathknight, though. Not all Abyssals earn the title, you see. You need to go through training and indoctrination to become one, and I don't believe Secret would actually succeed in those.
    I'm pretty sure Deathknight is just a title, like Lawgiver for Solars.

While an individual Solar might not actually reside in a position of power in a judicial/legislative sense, it's still accurate to call him a Lawgiver.

So while Secret may not be a Knight of Death at the moment, Deathknight still applies.

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of "Deathknight needs hug badly" as a thread title because I feel like if the at times creepy Secret adulation gets any more saccharine, I'll contract type 2 diabetes.

I'd suggest instead "Keychain 4: You could have told us that when we asked."
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    I'm pretty sure Deathknight is just a title, like Lawgiver for Solars.
    No, the Abyssals book states that deathknight is an earned title in the hierarchy of the Underworld.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

No, the Abyssals book states that deathknight is an earned title in the hierarchy of the Underworld.
    So a non-Abyssal can be a Deathknight? I don't buy it. I'm away from my books, but don't many of their charms reference "the Deathknight does X, Y, or Z", does that mean those charms are off limits to rogue Abyssals or to Abyssals without a certain rank?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do your avatar proud

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    So a non-Abyssal can be a Deathknight? I don't buy it. I'm away from my books, but don't many of their charms reference "the Deathknight does X, Y, or Z", does that mean those charms are off limits to rogue Abyssals or to Abyssals without a certain rank?
    A non-Abyssal cannot be a deathknight. All deathknights are Abyssals, but not all Abyssals are deathknights. Page 39 on Abyssals book explains a bit more.

It is sort of like how the Sidereals are called Viziers. Not all Sidereals serve as Viziers, and a few of them do not even serve Yu-Shan. Yet the book will refer to them as Viziers, because that's what most of them are.
    I use black for sarcasm.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

It is sort of like how the Sidereals are called Viziers. Not all Sidereals serve as Viziers, and a few of them do not even serve Yu-Shan. Yet the book will refer to them as Viziers, because that's what most of them are.
    Exactly, it's a title applied to them, whether it is accurate or not.

Misho is a Lawgiver, Marena is a Steward, What's-her-face is a Vizier and Secret is a Deathknight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do your avatar proud

21. - Top - End - #1461

"Keychain of Creation IV: Four."
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Here, I'll just quote the relevant part from the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Manual of Exalted Power: Abyssals
    ELEVATION TO KNIGHTHOOD
    When the Abyssal completes her training, she comes to the heart of her Deathlord master’s primary citadel for a final vigil and elevation ceremony. The vigil takes place in the hearthstone chamber of the Deathlord’s citadel manse. For 12 hours, the Abyssal meditates on her duty to the Deathlord and the Neverborn. At the end of the vigil, the Abyssal pledges his fealty to his Deathlord and formally accepts his sworn duty to see Creation fall into the Abyss. He then rises, at his Deathlord’s command, for his elevation ceremony. The ceremony can include anything from a somber baptism in funerary oils to an elaborate grand guignol marking the end of the Abyssal’s mortal sensibilities. When it ends, the Abyssal can finally call herself a deathknight. Her master bestows on her any weapons, armor or other resources deemed necessary and releases her at last to pursue her tainted destiny.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2010-06-18 at 02:23 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, one could retort with page 16 of the main book.

Abyssal Exalted: Also called deathknights, these Exalts are the
    champions of the Deathlords and their Neverborn masters.

This implies it's a generic term, like Lawgivers, etc.
    Last edited by WalkingTarget; 2010-06-18 at 02:34 PM.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Well, one could retort with page 16 of the main book.
    Good one. Didn't notice that before (mostly because I don't read the lexicons). I should probably stop quoting the books, though. They contradict themselves so often, it's difficult to use them as a definitive source (damn you, Carl Bowen!).

Then again, it could be that the main book isn't written for people who have extensive knowledge about the Abyssals. Most people probably aren't aware of the distinction between deathknight and Abyssal in terms of what they refer to, so the book did not make the distinction, either.
    I use black for sarcasm.

25. - Top - End - #1465

Quote Originally Posted by Manual of Exalted Power: Abyssals View Post
    ELEVATION TO KNIGHTHOOD
    When the Abyssal completes her training, she comes to the heart of her Deathlord master’s primary citadel for a final vigil and elevation ceremony. The vigil takes place in the hearthstone chamber of the Deathlord’s citadel manse. For 12 hours, the Abyssal meditates on her duty to the Deathlord and the Neverborn. At the end of the vigil, the Abyssal pledges his fealty to his Deathlord and formally accepts his sworn duty to see Creation fall into the Abyss. He then rises, at his Deathlord’s command, for his elevation ceremony. The ceremony can include anything from a somber baptism in funerary oils to an elaborate grand guignol marking the end of the Abyssal’s mortal sensibilities. When it ends, the Abyssal can finally call herself a deathknight. Her master bestows on her any weapons, armor or other resources deemed necessary and releases her at last to pursue her tainted destiny.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Like I said, I blame Carl Bowen.

((For those of you who are not in the know, Carl Bowen is the sole editor of all Exalted 2nd Edition books.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

I fail to understand why you have emphasized these pronouns.

28. - Top - End - #1468

Well I'm just going to assume it's canon that Abyssals get a temporary sex change during their Elevation Ceremony; presumably to help them shake off their former identity.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Then again, it could be that the main book isn't written for people who have extensive knowledge about the Abyssals. Most people probably aren't aware of the distinction between deathknight and Abyssal in terms of what they refer to, so the book did not make the distinction, either.
    A few of the later references to "deathknight" in the book indicate that it's a term used in Creation for the Abyssals since it seems like an appropriate thing to call them. I think chalking it up to the guy writing the Abyssals book deciding to overload an existing term with a deeper backstory is a likely explanation (i.e. "deathknight" was initially just a generic term for the Abyssals, then when the MoEP was being written they inserted this whole ritual/specific rank aspect to it). I certainly never considered using the title for any Abyssal as wrong, but then, I've only ever actually played the game back in 1st Edition and it's been a while. I just picked up the main book as a free PDF when they were giving them away and did a quick search.

It's a roleplaying game book convention (in some circles at least) to not assume that the players/characters are all one gender and they'll alternate which pronoun they use. I barely notice the oddity anymore.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Some passages are full of 'she' or 'her' when talking about the player or characters. Some are full of 'he' and 'his'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show