New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The thread that Rawhide's having entirely too much fun changing the title of (RB

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Curly, isn't it like... 5 am your time?
    It's not so hard to stay up late. I've stayed up till 4 AM for the past two nights while playing cribbage and euchre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Banned

Default Re: The thread that Rawhide's having entirely too much fun changing the title of (RB

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    When the sun starts coming up. We're in the same timezone; I'll tell you when.
    So ... ... You live on the Eastern side of the US?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Banned

I was just curiosu why you were up so late is all! Nothing bad.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    That's what, the fifth time you changed the title today Rawhide?
    I pity the person who, when rereading old RBs stumbles across this thread and its multitudinous names.
    I don't know, I lost count...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #335
    Banned

How come Rawhide can change the Forums name, if YPU made it?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can link you if you want. Warning though: it is on ff.net. I personally can't even remember who linked it to me, but it was a good read all told.
    Especially as poor Sherlock Holmes ends up in Ankh-Morpork.
    Sure, why not.

Vetinari and Vimes ae rather Holmesian in that regard. Heh, iust thought of something.
    You know how in the new Sherlock Holmes movie Holmes deduces where he is after the blindfilded carriage ride by a baker's speciality bread glaze and the pattern of cobbles on Fleet Street?
    IN Making Money (two or three years earlier) the first letter Vetinari explains the full Holmsian way is because of a baker's speciality pastry. And Vimes of course, has repeatedly done the thing with the feet.

Parallel much?
    I think I made the Vimes comparison while I was watching it, but not the Vetinari one.

Talking about what at four in the morning?
    I blame my being up so late on the fact that I'm an insomniac. And it's summer holidays. And a weekend.
    And of course, the company's the maior factor too.
    While obviously it is the kind of thing that can happen in the age of the internet, I find it slightly amusing that in the event of my parents complaining I will be blaming my antisocial sleep pattern on a girl at the other end of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by GFA View Post
    How come Rawhide can change the Forums name, if YPU made it?
    You see under Rawhide's username where it says 'Administrator'?
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-07-25 at 10:15 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    You see under Rawhide's username where it says 'Administrator'?
    So Admins can do whatever they want with out consequences?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of context but completely unsarcastic quote from my mum just now:

"I'm really glad you'll be nineteen next week, because it makes me feel really young."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

"I'm really glad you'll be nineteen next week, because it makes me feel really young."
    That doesnt make any sense ... :/

To me anyway

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Regarding Harry Potter:

I pretty much enjoyed the series until the 7th book. The final book was, for me, a real let down. Sure the scenes with Snape in were emotional, and the second half was action packed, but the first half dragged far too much. Yes, characterisation is important, but Rowling had six prequels to do that. That's not what annoyed me though.

What annoyed me was the Eldar Wand.

The single most crucial part of the magickal world (wandlore) to the plot is covered by the scene in Ollivander's in book 1 and, IIRC in a couple of scenes elsewhere, where one of them breaks their wand and has to use Hermione's.

Not to mention this whole business of wandlore is interesting. It would have been great to have been fed bits and pieces of it throughout the series, as well as the myth of the Eldar Wand, so that by time Snape kills Dumbledore we've figured out that Dumbledore had the Eldar Wand and b) can spend more time in the seventh book keeping track of it.
    This is a very good point.

The seventh book is the only one I haven't reread yet. Partly because I used to reread them to finish the previous one right before the next one was released, and there are no more! But also because there was too much stuff going on in seven that I didn't like.

I did have a problem with some of the people who died, I think it was a bit much at times, especially really important sympathetic characters dying "off-screen".
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm looking at you, Tonks and Lupin.

But my biggest problem was Harry's vision of Dumbledore.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It just seemed false to me. I think if a character dies and returns in something, they shouldn't remember what happened while they were dead (like Roy!). If he wasn't actually dead, then it was just a hallucination, and it meant nothing! Rowling has said it was to allow Dumbledore a last chance to explain himself, now Harry's learned all this not-very-flattering stuff about him. But I think there were more graceful ways to do it: Dumbledore has a headmaster portrait, he could have left a will (he didn't know he would be around to explain it all to Harry), he could have left him a magical message of a ghost-like echo of himself or something.

I think mostly a lot of my problem with seven was how little we saw of the castle. My favourite bits were always the ensemble stuff, all the characters in Hogwarts.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    I'm still trying to get her to notice me. I want to talk to her about how she can possibly be the SECOND person I know with an interest in gaming and hockey. It boggles my mind that there are only the two of us in the known universe (the universe I know about is the "known universe").
    Well, I'm a girl in Britland.
    Every girl (and presumably every boy too, but apparently not all schools teach hockey) is taught to play hockey in secondary school if not earlier.
    I was good. My best position was Right Wing or Right Inner, and with the right incentive I could sprint up and down the hockey pitch with the most athletic of them even though I was - and still am - overweight.
    Plus it's such a delightfully vicious sport.
    I still remember the time I cracked Koorly Enemy Number One a right smack in the shins with my stick (no shin pads or any kind of saefty equipment for us!) after she repeatedly insulted some of my friends and insinuated I was a cheater.
    She had a massive bruise for a fortnight.
    And I didn't get in trouble because iniuries, while not common certainly weren't uncommon either.

In essence, despite having been a geek since well, birth, hockey and rounders were - and still are - my two favourite sports.
    I don't watch them, never ioned any teams or clubs, but I love playing them.

And there you have it. A geek from birth will inevitably play a tabletop game or similar at some point. I iust happen to enioy playing a very violent sport as well.
    Britlander school is amazing as there's absolutely nothing wrong with being the Unofficial Head Librarian of your school library to the point where even the actual Librarian will ask your advice on the weekly quizzes, what to buy next and who to appoint as Assisstant Librarian and also being one of the ebst players of hockey whenever it was time to play it in PE.

Sure, why not.
    Here you go: The Detective and the Diplomat.

I think I made the Vimes comparison while I was watching it, but not the Vetinari one.
    Like I said, crazy recollection of the most obscure details. And I only read Making Money once, about a month or two after it came out.

While obviously it is the kind of thing that can happen in the age of the internet, I find it slightly amusing that in the event of my parents complaining I will be blaming my antisocial sleep pattern on a girl at the other end of the country.
    Likewise.
    My parents still fail to understand how it's possible to have really good friends that I've:
    a) never met -
    (i) because we don't go to the same place of education/place of association
    (ii) because they live in a different part of the country.
    (iii) because they live in a different country
    (iv) because they live on a different continent
    b) have only met once or twice
    c) will more than likely never meet
    d) don't even know their real life names
    e) or where they live
    and stay up to ridicuous hours talking to them.

I'm glad to have provided an interesting reason to your staying up so late though.

EDIT:
    There's a House of Leaves/Sherlock Holmes crossover.
    With the story carried on entirely in the comments section.
    Must. Read. Tomorr - Later. On.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-07-25 at 10:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Hockey: I was about to express my pleasure that British imperialism may have leaked both ways in the cultural economy, but then I read your post again... hockey? Pitch? Sprint? At least the violence is correct.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just tell her at least she isn't wearing granny glasses and nagging you about finding a nice boy in investment banking and settling down to start popping out grandkids for her before she kicks the bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #344
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Only when it's funny.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Hockey: I was about to express my pleasure that British imperialism may have leaked both ways in the cultural economy, but then I read your post again... hockey? Pitch? Sprint? At least the violence is correct.
    Where on earth would a girl play ice hockey at school. Let alone in Britland?!
    The nearest ice rink to me is some fifty miles away and present for two months of the year.
    Besides, there's hockey and there's ice hockey.

They are both violent though.
    I remember getting one girls stick hooked up in mine as I was going for the ball (nice solid chunk of plastic that it was too) and nearly ripped the skin off her forearms swinging my stick at the ball.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes. Living in South Carolina, currently being lazy in a hammock in Florida. Welcome to 11:37. It's tomorrow in half an hour.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

That doesnt make any sense ... :/

To me anyway
    I think it's because most women her age have children in the under-high school age bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    But my biggest problem was Harry's vision of Dumbledore.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It just seemed false to me. I think if a character dies and returns in something, they shouldn't remember what happened while they were dead (like Roy!). If he wasn't actually dead, then it was just a hallucination, and it meant nothing! Rowling has said it was to allow Dumbledore a last chance to explain himself, now Harry's learned all this not-very-flattering stuff about him. But I think there were more graceful ways to do it: Dumbledore has a headmaster portrait, he could have left a will (he didn't know he would be around to explain it all to Harry), he could have left him a magical message of a ghost-like echo of himself or something.
    I don't know, I think in the context of the story it makes sense - in that in the wizarding world there's not exactly a firm wall between this life and the next. I mean, you can't live again once you've died, but Harry sees his parents multiple times of course and then there's the portraits . . . .

That might also be my view of What Comes Next influencing things, of course.

18. - Top - End - #348

Right. I think I may save reading it for a more dayish part of the day, though.

Likewise.
    My parents still fail to understand how it's possible to have really good friends that I've:
    a) never met -
    (i) because we don't go to the same place of education/place of association
    (ii) because they live in a different part of the country.
    (iii) because they live in a different country
    (iv) because they live on a different continent
    b) have only met once or twice
    c) will more than likely never meet
    d) don't even know their real life names
    e) or where they live
    and stay up to ridicuous hours talking to them.

I'm glad to have provided an interesting reason to your staying up so late though.
    My parents are fine enough with it. They advised me to be cautious if giving out any personal details, and be careful about going to meetups in case you were all secretly murderers, but the only problem with the sleep pattern is that it's weird if I'm still up when they get up in the morning.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Only when it's funny.
    Oh ... Thats ... Reasonable?

Yes. Living in South Carolina, currently being lazy in a hammock in Florida. Welcome to 11:37. It's tomorrow in half an hour.
    Less now

I think it's because most women her age have children in the under-high school age bracket.
    Shouldnt that make her feel older?

20. - Top - End - #350

(Missed this)

Well, it's all in good humor. And besides, Rawhide's awesome.
    He'd never abuse his posers as an Admi- wait, where'd my post count go

[/joking]
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2010-07-25 at 10:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Banned

Well, it's all in good humor. And besides, Rawhide's awesome.
    He'd never abuse his posers as an Admi- wait, where'd my post count go

[/joking]
    Funny. Since their arent any post counts on this site ...
    Last edited by GFA; 2010-07-25 at 10:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

Funny. Since their arent any pst counts on this site ...
    There are, but two things; A) We don't talk about them. And B) We don't judge based on them. Only mentioned them as a joke; back to chewing the fat.[/oldsaying]

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

There are, but two things; A) We don't talk about them. And B) We don't judge based on them. Only mentioned them as a joke; back to chewing the fat.[/oldsaying]
    Well, I mean ... Arent "_ in the Playground" based on post count?

24. - Top - End - #354

Right. I think I may save reading it for a more dayish part of the day, though.
    It's dawn though. Granted, there're more dayish parts of the day than dawn, but it's dawn when the day is shiny and new and hasn't provided anything at all towards making it a disappointing day.

My parents are fine enough with it. They advised me to be cautious if giving out any personal details, and be careful about going to meetups in case you were all secretly murderers, but the only problem with the sleep pattern is that it's weird if I'm still up when they get up in the morning.
    Yeah, it is a bit weird when that happens.
    My dad's fine with meetups and the sort; he trusts me. Mum trusts me, but noone else.
    But she's going to have to start getting used to it soon. I've had her on training wheels since I ioned this site, sooner or later she's got to start cycling on her lonesome.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

Its Midnight ... Should I go to sleep?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, you and the artist formally known as Bacon make the same mistake here with ellipses, and it's driving my doughnuts to go nuts. Ellipses are used at the end of a sentence or statement, I don't care about the grammar as much, not at the beginning of the next one. Surely not at BOTH points.

It just bugs me, y'know?

My folks would probably be a bit disappointed if they knew how much of my information I've been letting slip. Hell, I don't think they even know I have a Facebook, or would approve. I figure my judgement is good enough to side with the right group of secret murderers on the internet, namely those who would roll a die to see how many times they should stab you.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a d100, by the way.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    My folks would probably be a bit disappointed if they knew how much of my information I've been letting slip. Hell, I don't think they even know I have a Facebook, or would approve. I figure my judgement is good enough to side with the right group of secret murderers on the internet, namely those who would roll a die to see how many times they should stab you.
    *snerk*
    This shouldn't be making me laugh so much.
    I'm punch drunk on sleeplessness and this silent, raspy laughing that's horrendously errily reminiscent of my dead and beloved Granny is hurting my throat.
    Curse you Phase.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, also:
    Where on earth would a girl play ice hockey at school. Let alone in Britland?!
    The nearest ice rink to me is some fifty miles away and present for two months of the year.
    Besides, there's hockey and there's ice hockey.

They are both violent though.
    I remember getting one girls stick hooked up in mine as I was going for the ball (nice solid chunk of plastic that it was too) and nearly ripped the skin off her forearms swinging my stick at the ball.
    No, there's hockey and then there's field hockey.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

30. - Top - End - #360

Well, I mean ... Arent "_ in the Playground" based on post count?
    Yes, but they don't matter much.

Its Midnight ... Should I go to sleep?
    Yes.