New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Broad New Frontier IC

Dozryn felt a sickening crunch as the spear chased into him. He nearly lost him focus, though the pain merely honed his anger. He moved forward, stopping when he was 15 feet away.

"You will regret that spear." Dozryn said as he took a deep breath.

He held it while leaning back slightly while in the air. In a smooth motion, he leaned forward, opened his mouth, and exhaled suddenly. A large cone of bright red flame came billowing from his mouth, engulfing both fighters including Thuk!

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (6d6)[20]

Everyone but thuk need to make a reflex save of 21. If they make it they take half damage. Endure Exposure makes him immune to my breath weapon.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

The man Thuk had previously tripped is fried, at least unconcious if not "dead." The crowd cheers as the other man taps the ground in surrender; he's realized that he can't possibly win.

As you walk off the stage with the crowd cheering, the man from earlier walks up besides you and begins chatting briskly. Good job guys; the crowd liked it, even if it did end a bit faster than most matches. You were only against chumps, though, so don't expect a giant reward. Here; twenty gold each, and you can go grab whatever you want from the bar. Well, OK, seeing as I think the big guy might be a heavy drinker, let's limit it to ten drinks; I'd rather you not drink us out of all our profits.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thuk

Thuk seems a bit confused by the surrender for a moment, but then seems to grasp the idea. He turns and grins at the acclaim from the crowd, seeming to enjoy the attention.
    When the pitmaster hands him his victory pouch he grins again and pulls a large belt pouch out from beneath his breast plate and adds the coins to its meager contents.
    "Ten drinks will be 'nuff," Thuk says, "I think Tindalee wants to get do something today, so I can't be drinkin' all night."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gaborn in Into the Third Age
    Geist in Thershadeth
    Kinkal in Voyage of the Iron Maiden
    Jubilus Bellum in To Steal the Sun...On Earth as it is in Heaven
    Frahraek in The Secret Society [Take That 4th Wall]
    Thuk in A Brave New Frontier
    David Narless (Daeclan) in Age of Worms

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Tindalee

Tindalee can't help but cheer as the two claim victory, especially since she hadn't seen her friend as happy as he was now. She congratulated them as the two walked off the stage

"Congratulations, you guys. You did great!" Tindalee said. "Yes, Thuk, I do, but I can still wait. Were you thinking of entering another round after your drinks?"

5. - Top - End - #65

Thuk

"If I do that then I'll be bust'n heads all day. Once your work is done I can fight as much as I want," Thuk says.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geist in Thershadeth

6. - Top - End - #66

PirateGirl

Tindalee

"Very well, then. We can go do the work when you finish your drinks, then. Provided that the others are keen on that idea. How about it, Ral and Dorzyn?" Tindalee asked.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Ral

"I'd be happy to. The arena looks fun, but we can find better pay elsewhere."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #68

Thuk

"That's pretty quick for 20 gold. Pretty easy too," Thuk grunts, "Can't all be that easy though. 'Least I hope not."
    Last edited by unre9istered; 2010-07-18 at 07:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geist in Thershadeth

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dozryn landed next to Thuk, Ral, and Tindalee and almost immediately started coughing. He hadn't done that kind of thing in a long time...or ever in fact. Up until now it had just been theory, he had never been able to apply it anywhere. He had managed to hear the plan the other decided on while he coughed off to the side. It took him a few seconds before he could stop and talk, though his voice was dry and horse while he spoke.

"Yeah that's fine..." Dozryn said, "But I need a drink right NOW. You have no idea how dry your throat can get after breathing fire..."
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2010-07-18 at 07:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

After guzzling their drinks, you guys all manage to arrive at... whatever location you planned to go to. Did you plan to go to the cave, or the disputed land? It's rather unclear who's job you guys want to do, though it seems to be leaning towards the land.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

OK, after your drinks, you arrive at the disputed land, a plot a couple miles across on all sides. On each side, you see a fairly large, although not massive, house, with a few obvious defenses set up; fences, barbed wire, some obvious pits that shouldn't be hard to jump over, and a couple of small towers that seem to have been set up for archers to sit on. The defenses seem haphazard, and more to look intimidating than to actually prevent access; both houses have an obviously clear route leading up to them, and even in the defended areas, an ordinary man could (cautiously) walk up. At the moment, you don't really know which house looks more reasonable, so you can head wherever.

EDIT: Also, roll spot checks.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-07-21 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dozryn looked left and right as they arrived at what he assumed to be the land dispute. He was gliding about 15 above the rest of the group as they came to a halt he began to hover gently.

"This doesn't look like any kind of dispute I've ever seen." Dozryn said, "All this place needs is some soldiers and this could be a miniature battlefield..."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[17]

Why do I roll so low....especially with +11....
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2010-07-21 at 09:15 PM. Reason: commenting on my rolls

13. - Top - End - #73

Thuk

Thuk looks at the haphazard defenses confusedly, whether at their purpose or lack of usefulness is hard to guess.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+2)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geist in Thershadeth

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Seeing as Zsaber already beat the pitifully low DC I had set for it...

You see that, in addition to the obvious traps, all of the traps are rigged with lots of small bells and other implements designed to make noise or make it obvious somebody had attempted to enter.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hold it." Dozryn told the others as he lowered his altitude. "There are a bunch of traps around the ground. They seem to be more for warning the owners of the land then for actually trying to stop us. Though that's just from what I can see."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Ral looks around and chuckles. "I've been on a lot of battlefields, but none that looked this ridiculous. They're not committed to fighting each other, or if they are they won't be very good at it. Shouldn't be too hard to convince them that it's a bad idea. Unless they offer us enough to -" He glances at Tindalee. Oh, right, her. No, she wouldn't take well to mercenary work.

"We can convince them it's a bad idea." Ral concludes. After pulling a coin from his pocket and flipping it, he adds "And we can start with the house on the right."
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2010-07-22 at 06:52 PM.
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateGirl

Tindalee nods. "That sounds like a good idea. The traps don't seem to be concealed very well. As long as we're careful and just stay away from all traps, we should be fine. Oh, I hope we can talk this all out."

Tindalee stars heading towards the house on the right, being slow and careful to avoid the traps, including the ones that would alert their presence.

18. - Top - End - #78

Thuk
    Thuk follows Tindalee, stepping where she stepped with what looks like exaggerated care.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given that Thuk's feet are more than twice as big as Tindalee's and he's probably not going to take much care to avoid brushing against anything near the path, Thuk may set off some traps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geist in Thershadeth

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

You all manage to avoid the traps by going through the obviously safe area, and manage to get to the door, which is answered by a man who seems to be a butler or other type of servant.

Do you have business here, you... I'm not quite sure what this is, really. Circus?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Ral steps forward. "We're here to try to resolve the dispute between you and your neighbors."

21. - Top - End - #81

PirateGirl

Tindalee steps forwards, too. It was her job, too, and this man needs to know who sent them. "We have been given the job of investigating this land dispute for the Sheriff. We would greatly appreciate it if you would comply with a request to see the ownder of this residence."
    Last edited by amiplayable; 2010-07-26 at 10:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

The butler sighs, then opens the door wider, signaling for you to go in. Very well then, I suppose I have to let you in. The master will be in his study, at the end of the hall to the left.

As you walk into the home, you see that it is, for a house built in the middle of nowhere, still fairly nice; the walls are painted and covered in decorations, and various stands with busts or flowers are on them. On the hall to the left, you see a few doors, and then a massive set of oak double doors at the end, clearly leading somewhere important.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Ral shrugs. "No point in delaying," He strides up to the oak doors and knocks loudly.

24. - Top - End - #84

Thuk

Thuk hunches over to follow the others down the hall, not realizing that the posture makes him look even more brutish.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geist in Thershadeth

25. - Top - End - #85

PirateGirl

Tindalee waits outside the door and waits for the response to Ral's knocking patiently. Before anything happens, she quickly activates her glowing halo. Experience led her to believe that doing this helped out in situations when talking things out was important.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nimbus of Light - +2 for Diplomacy and Sense Motive for Good Creatures. Radiance also illuminates to a radius of 5 ft. and shadowy illumination up to 10 ft. I doubt they're good, but Tindalee is going to try anyways.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dozryn floated down the hall way along side the other. He touched down just as Ral knocked on the large wooden doors and his wings seemed to fold up into his body. It was at this point when a halo suddenly appeared above Tindalee's head. Dozryn could only stare at it for a few seconds before he could even formulate words in his head.

"Um..." Dozryn finally managed to say."What's that?" As he pointed to the halo.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

((Sorry, been busy with vacations and visiting colleges.))

The door opens, with a short, somewhat fat man opening it. He is dressed finely, and carries a sword which looks almost, but not quite entirely ceremonial, and he has his hand on it, for what good that may do him. When he sees the "interesting" group in front of him, he sighs.

This is who the sheriff sent? This is certainly the most unique group of people I've had the pleasure, or displeasure depending on how this visit goes, of meeting. I take it you haven't heard the whole story, or at least not the truth, so sit down.

The man motions towards a few chairs inside the office, all of which are made of exotic wood and designed with expert skill. The bookshelves are filled with plenty of books with vague and complex names, and his desk is cluttered with papers obscuring everything on it.

I can get you a drink or something to eat, if you'd like. Do you have any questions, or shall I begin my story? I am fine with either way, and whichever one helps the investigation the most, I'd be fine with.

28. - Top - End - #88

PirateGirl

"It gives me luck talking to people." Tindalee replied to Dorzyn in a hushed whisper as the short man led them in.

She took a seat in one of the offered chairs and began to speak. "I'm fine, thank you. I must say you have a lovely home. Oh, pardon me. I almost forgot my manners. My name is Tindalee. For now, all I wish to know is your name before you begin your story, if you please."