New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: old computer games i forgot their name

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    Wouldn't it be one of the Worlds of Ultima games by any chance?
    They have reused material from Ultima VI in at least one of them.
    I think they were mentioned already, and nope. I've played both (Savage Empire just this spring in fact), and neither is anything like this mystery game.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It could be Entomorph, but I don't remember arquebuses on that one.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

The sun theme might imply one of the Dark Sun games, but nothing else matches...

Could it be Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun? Released on 1992

According to wiki, it starts with a war against goblins, and the good guys being sucked through a portal, it was released on 1992 (I started looking for games released a few years after Ultima VI) AND the first screenshot was like straight from Ultima. It's a Genesis (or MegaDrive) game, which would also explain why you wouldn't have found it earlier, if this is indeed the game you were looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon...he_Eternal_Sun
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeo...he-eternal-sun

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

I actually have Entomorph (and the Dark Sun games), and nope. This was pretty much like Ultima 6 with Nahlakh's overland travel and combat. Warriors of the Eternal Sun doesn't look right, either.

I'm not really surprised, because I'm a huge abandonware game fan, and have never ever seen the game on any site anywhere, and I've been through a ton (I literally at least cursorily checked out all the games on Home of the Underdogs when it was still active). I suspect it's a rare lost game - nobody saved it to put it on the Internet. In fact, I really suspect the games on the collection CD were shareware (there were a lot of CDs like that, since you could pretty much just burn other peoples' shareware games onto a CD and publish that, apparently), and this one may never have made it to "full" version. (Much like, I think, Castle of the Winds.)

5. - Top - End - #95

It could be Hera: The Sword of Rhin, by SSI, from what I am reading.
    But I can't find any pictures of it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    when i was a kid, i played a game, which was a battle between brown team vs green team. you could choose your side, then you picked a vechile (tank, jeep, heli and missle truck) i loved this game so much,
    but the disc was lost and i forgot the name.
    I see that you found your game, but I could have sworn form this description you were talking about Armor Alley.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aroka View Post
    (I literally at least cursorily checked out all the games on Home of the Underdogs when it was still active).
    Actually, HOTU is where I found Warriors of the Eternal Sun. It's back without the downloads, but that still makes it the best thing around for finding obscure games.

http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/

If a mod comes by: it's a reconstruction of a page that offered downloads but went offline. This reconstruction doesn't let you download anything. So it's more of a review database than an abandonware site.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aroka View Post
    Castle of the Winds.)
    I remember that game. Dewd, I played the hell out of that game for like, 2 months or something. Even then, magic was broken. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: old computer games i forgot their name

I have a really old PC game I cannot find reference to. I played it at summer camp in 91' but it seems more like its from the Donkey Kong era.

its an action game, you're a spy. The screen has ten to 15 tiers. you have to get from one end of a tier to the other to go up to the next. There are elevators ticking up and down that kill you if hit by them and all kinds of point bonus items. NO it is not Elevator Action.

Side note, I found that old tbs I'd forgotten the name of, 'Shining Force III'
    Last edited by Asthix; 2010-08-20 at 05:28 PM.
    Baby B-day Turtle Avatar by Savannah
    fnord
    Ex-Keeper of The Birthdays (The Birthday Thread)

Official president of the Teevo must die fanclub

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

It could be Hera: The Sword of Rhin, by SSI, from what I am reading.
    But I can't find any pictures of it.
    Nope, that's more of an Ultima 4 clone. Still, getting much better, because I had never heard of this game before.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I talked to my cousin. She thinks the FPS was Doom, but she's not completey sure. The only other FPSs she played though were Hexen and some other game from that series, so it was more than likely Doom.

As for the RTS, she said its not Command and Conquer. And it wasn't Close Combat, because CC is 2D and this game was Isometric...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asthix View Post
    its an action game, you're a spy. The screen has ten to 15 tiers. you have to get from one end of a tier to the other to go up to the next. There are elevators ticking up and down that kill you if hit by them and all kinds of point bonus items. NO it is not Elevator Action.
    My guess is that it's either Spy's Demise or a clone.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: old computer games i forgot their name

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    My guess is that it's either Spy's Demise or a clone.
    Yes!!! You are a hero of information who has succeeded where countless others were ignorant! Thnx!
    Baby B-day Turtle Avatar by Savannah
    fnord
    Ex-Keeper of The Birthdays (The Birthday Thread)

Official president of the Teevo must die fanclub

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

i REALLY can't remember the name of a game i used to play maany years ago.

it was a 1vs1, 2D battle in the space.
    both you and your opponent had a space ship
    there were many kinds of space ships, which had 2 parameters:
    "strenght" (armor and power of lasers)
    and speed.
    if one was high, the other one was low.

when the fight beginned, the ships were one in front of the other, but in opposite directions...
    i mean, the left ship was looking at left, and the right ship was looking at right
    (so that, to shoot each other, they had to turn around)

can anyone pleeease find the name of this game?

(sorry for the bad english, i'm not from an english-speaking country, and particularly explaining the position of spaceship proved itself difficult ^^)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Okay, my turn.

It's an old, 3-d flying game, futuristic (you had a spaceship of sorts, though most of the levels were on a planet - you could go really high up though). Enemies consisted of flying fighters and ground-placed turrets, usually guarding some objective to blow up, and you could find weapons and powerups, though usually just better laser cannons. I remember at least four distinct worlds, with several levels in each and varying objectives of stuff to find/blow up - a desert world, an underwater world, a grass/farmland world, and a city world. The other thing I remember was tunnels - it was a big feature that every level had at least one hidden tunnel, leading from one point on the map to another underground, with rotating walls you had to fly around/dodge while collecting better powerups. Sometimes you had to fight a boss, usually in an enclosed chamber, and the end of every level was what looked like a giant springboard, catapulting you up and out of the level.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wasn't one of the Starglider games, was it? Or there were a couple of old Spectrum games (Dark Star and Forbidden Planet) that sort of fit the bill, too.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Why not, there was this game where you were like a fairie that turned monsters into ladders. I think you could also do stone walls? One of the was this green thing. You had to do it to finish the level so you could reach exits and such. Very mental game.

Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    Good god. That was my first ever PC game. The days of my glorious 286 with a whopping 2Mb RAM! The days of Space Quest, Apogee shooters like Biohazard, Duke Nukem and Commander Keen
    Oh man, Commander Keen was my obsession from years 9 to 11. I played every single one from that ever came out. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Aliens Ate my Babysitter and Keen Dreams even. #4 was what was special though. Friggin' dopefish.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures was fantastic, and then, what was it... ooooh, Whacky Wheels where you shot hedgehogs at others. I had this evil satisfaction when I got to run them over

Months worth of my life gone because of them.

What's funny is never owned a game machine. My Dad was a comp programmer from before i was born so PC games was it.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-08-25 at 02:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Why not, there was this game where you were like a fairie that turned monsters into ladders. I think you could also do stone walls? One of the was this green thing. You had to do it to finish the level so you could reach exits and such. Very mental game.
    I think I've played that the shareware version of that one - Fairy Godmother? It was a Lode Runner puzzle type game where you could copy things.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does anyone know this game? I've been thinking about it on and off for months now.

Puzzle game, 2d, side-view of the entire level.

You controlled a small round reddish (?) creature with big eyes, antennae, and two legs, but no arms.

Your aim was to get to the end of the level by whatever means necessary, usually by moving stone blocks (you could push them with your leg), moving balloons (you could blow at them), climbing up and down, using counterweights, and sometimes burning down half the level (if there was wood and fire).

Really sad expression on the cute character if a 1T block fell from above and crushed him/her.

Ring any bells?

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Okay, my turn.

It's an old, 3-d flying game, futuristic (you had a spaceship of sorts, though most of the levels were on a planet - you could go really high up though). Enemies consisted of flying fighters and ground-placed turrets, usually guarding some objective to blow up, and you could find weapons and powerups, though usually just better laser cannons. I remember at least four distinct worlds, with several levels in each and varying objectives of stuff to find/blow up - a desert world, an underwater world, a grass/farmland world, and a city world. The other thing I remember was tunnels - it was a big feature that every level had at least one hidden tunnel, leading from one point on the map to another underground, with rotating walls you had to fly around/dodge while collecting better powerups. Sometimes you had to fight a boss, usually in an enclosed chamber, and the end of every level was what looked like a giant springboard, catapulting you up and out of the level.
    Sounds like Descent to me.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firkraag View Post
    Does anyone know this game? I've been thinking about it on and off for months now.

Puzzle game, 2d, side-view of the entire level.

You controlled a small round reddish (?) creature with big eyes, antennae, and two legs, but no arms.

Your aim was to get to the end of the level by whatever means necessary, usually by moving stone blocks (you could push them with your leg), moving balloons (you could blow at them), climbing up and down, using counterweights, and sometimes burning down half the level (if there was wood and fire).

Really sad expression on the cute character if a 1T block fell from above and crushed him/her.

Ring any bells?
    So I'm sure it might be ringing the correct bells...
    This is a Sokoban / Adventures of LoLo style game, right?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, my turn.

Terminal Velocity comes to mind. Could also be its Microsoft-published quasi-clone, Fury 3, or its sequel, Hellbender, although I'm leaning towards the original.

23. - Top - End - #113

Sounds like Descent to me.
    Nope. I've played Descent, and that wasn't it. Descent was all in tunnels, and was 6-degrees of freedom. This was open-world except for the tunnels (literally open-world, you could fly all the way around the planet if you wanted to), and you always had forward thrust - you could dial it faster or slower and change your heading, but you couldn't stop completely in midair. I think it was part of a series, because I seem to remember a "3" at the end of the name.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope. I've played Descent, and that wasn't it. Descent was all in tunnels, and was 6-degrees of freedom. This was open-world except for the tunnels (literally open-world, you could fly all the way around the planet if you wanted to), and you always had forward thrust - you could dial it faster or slower and change your heading, but you couldn't stop completely in midair. I think it was part of a series, because I seem to remember a "3" at the end of the name.
    It's absolutely Fury 3.

I can't take credit for remembering the name, but I too have logged many hours into that game back in the day. I remember thinking it was stupidly hard when I first played it, then learning that I could toggle back and forth between weapons and suddenly feeling massively overpowered. And then one time I accidentally broke the cloud barrier, wasn't sure what happened, and floated for hours thinking I was stuck in an ice floe or something. I was kind of... stupid. >.>

25. - Top - End - #115

One that's been bugging me for a long time. I can't remember the name of an arcade game where you played a tank in a top-down, isometric view. It could be played one or two player and each player's control were dual up-down, tank-style joysticks with two thumb buttons for turret rotation and two trigger buttons for basic cannon fire/special weapon fire. The start button switched the special weapon between bomb and smart shots. The players would manoeuvre their tank around obstacles and shoot enemy tanks, turrets, flying saucers and odd globes till they reached the enemy base of the level. Your tank lost fuel when hit and you had to collect fuel to stay alive. As tanks collected stars, the player could purchase upgrades between travels, including more powerful shots, faster speed and turret rotation arc. I think Atari created it in the '80s but my memory is hazy. I think I've seen it as a MAME ROM.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    It's absolutely Fury 3.

I can't take credit for remembering the name, but I too have logged many hours into that game back in the day. I remember thinking it was stupidly hard when I first played it, then learning that I could toggle back and forth between weapons and suddenly feeling massively overpowered. And then one time I accidentally broke the cloud barrier, wasn't sure what happened, and floated for hours thinking I was stuck in an ice floe or something. I was kind of... stupid. >.>
    Dingdingding Winner! Fury 3, that's what it was called. I remember having a paper notebook where I recorded the coordinates of every tunnel entrance in each level, trying to locate all of them.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    So I'm sure it might be ringing the correct bells...
    This is a Sokoban / Adventures of LoLo style game, right?
    Probably... The character even looked like this LoLo creature. Though, judging from the graphics, it would not be as old.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

Dingdingding Winner! Fury 3, that's what it was called. I remember having a paper notebook where I recorded the coordinates of every tunnel entrance in each level, trying to locate all of them.
    lol, played that many a time... and yes, Phoekun, you were

29. - Top - End - #119

MonkGuy

I've got one that's been bugging me for a while.

It was on my old Amstrad CPC, back in the late 80s or early 90s (the latter was when I played it, but it was probably older than that).

You controlled a little robot who was trying to rescue his robot buddies.

You selected which planet (i.e. map/level) you wished to play from a sort of star chart.

The game levels themselves were quasi-isometric worlds (one of the axes was parallel to the screen, so technically it wasn't true isometric) made up of blocks.

You had to negotiate a maze-like level, avoiding (or killing) enemies, solving
    some puzzles (some levels were more combat heavy, some more puzzle based), find and release your buddy, and then get him to the exit.

There were various objects you could pick up and use (one at a time only), such as jet packs, guns (in increasing order of power: lastron, lasbolt, megatron [no, not that one], and mega bolt). The lastron was so weak as to be essentially useless, but the mega- guns could shoot down enemy shots, knock enemies off walls (often more effective than just killing them), and had such high recoil they could push you off walls as well, or be used as a boost to get over gaps.

Any ideas what this game was?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    *snip*
    One quick search on Mobygames later... The Final Matrix?