New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Masa's Massively Masterful Message Medium - Random Banter #146

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    Exactly my point. It's required for homeschooled students but optional for others. As if one 300 word personal statement is going to do anything except prove that I'm literate. I guess they're going to have to take everything else on my app at face value, since there's no way for me to expand/explain anything on it. Oh well, if it works for them...

I'll just be happy if I can get everything together to go in the winter...
    That's silly.
    I could write a sentence that was three hundred words long, granted it would be a little complex, but as Quincunx commented some threads back, I seem to have a talent for maintaining comprehension over a long sentence; despite the number of clauses, sub-clauses and other various pieces of grammatical techniques and wordplay; but hey, it's not as if I do it too long, because if I did, I'd probably get a little distracted by iust how exactly I managed to did on a regular lenthth; although, looking back on the sentence as I write it, I note that this is growing rather quicker than I expected, but is actually simpler than I believed it would be by the time I was able to use a full stop; I do wonder how many words are in this sentence, I shall check after this post.

EDIT: It's 144 words long, that explains why it's so much simpler than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    EDIT: Koorls, I don't have to do an interview. Once I submit the application and required transcripts, test scores &c. I just have to sit pretty until I get my acceptance letter.
    But don't some universities do interviews over in Trogland too?

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    I can't get the image of adorable zombie turtles out of my head, that or the image of them trying to eat me by gently gnawing on my toes.

They are adorable.
    They squeak rather than moan incessantly.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-08-26 at 05:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Ah, sorry, you might want to try the pub over the road. They don't serve pieces of string, though.
    Well, I was trying to avoid that joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    That's silly.
    I could write a sentence that was three hundred words long, granted it would be a little complex, but as Quincunx commented some threads back, I seem to have a talent for maintaining comprehension over a long sentence; despite the number of clauses, sub-clauses and other various pieces of grammatical techniques and wordplay; but hey, it's not as if I do it too long, because if I did, I'd probably get a little distracted by iust how exactly I managed to did on a regular lenthth; although, looking back on the sentence as I write it, I note that this is growing rather quicker than I expected, but is actually simpler than I believed it would be by the time I was able to use a full stop; I do wonder how many words are in this sentence, I shall check after this post.

EDIT: It's 144 words long, that explains why it's so much simpler than I thought it would be.
    I actually have a problem where I normally write sentences that are too long. I'm having to constantly cut them down so now my stories end up being filled with rather short sentences. I think I need to try and find the middle ground.

They squeak rather than moan incessantly.
    Given my fondness for squeaking things, albeit it normally concerning females, they have now been upgraded to insanely adorable.

You have earned my zombie virus addled corpse to be added your ever growing turtle army.

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Well, I was trying to avoid that joke
    Well where's the fun in that? Perhaps it's across the road, maybe you should look... or are you too chicken?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well where's the fun in that? Perhaps it's across the road, maybe you should look... or are you too chicken?
    Goodbye, Farwell, and Amen.

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    Given my fondness for squeaking things, albeit it normally concerning females, they have now been upgraded to insanely adorable.
    A friend of mine squeaks in his sleep. It is really adorable, though he gets embarassed when people (Usually his girlfriend) mention it.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

That's silly.

I wrote a 6 paragraph essay for English that was 6 sentences long. I blame reading a lot of Pratchett for this - Gaiman tends to make me more clipped.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    I wrote a 6 paragraph essay for English that was 6 sentences long. I blame reading a lot of Pratchett for this - Gaiman tends to make me more clipped.
    I was once told I had to cut down a sentence from eight lines in an essay for my English coursework. I couldn't get one of the sentences I split it into below two lines. I have the tendency to be pretty darn verbose and I occasionally over-use relative clauses, though that's mostly because they're a brilliant device and should be used so much more often.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

I was once told I had to cut down a sentence from eight lines in an essay for my English coursework. I couldn't get one of the sentences I split it into below two lines. I have the tendency to be pretty darn verbose and I occasionally over-use relative clauses, though that's mostly because they're a brilliant device and should be used so much more often.
    "Extremely good essay - very fluent! Please use more full stops!" was one of the most common marking comments.

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've never written an essay lnger then 10 pages

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I've never written an essay lnger then 10 pages
    Dude, neither have I. I'd rather be laconic than loquacious, but blending both is best.

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dude, neither have I. I'd rather be laconic than loquacious, but blending both is best.
    It was more of a narrative though, not sure that should count.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

What I have been doing with my lonely nights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXjqGZDEsU

>.>
    <.<
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I don't believe you. Just the cost of the raw materials is going to be a lot higher for a battleship with all the extra armor.
    Well, the armour is more expensive, true. But for a battlecruiser, you have a much larger expense for the most expensive part of the ship: the engines.
    As the saying goes: "Steel is cheap, and air is free", but, "speed is money".
    Plus, battlecruisers wound up being larger than battleships...
    (Necessary, to hold the size of the engines needed for their speed.)

Oh, really? What's so weird about it?
    The Hawkins class of World War One British light cruisers were armed with a uniform armament of seven 7.5" (190mm) guns. Light cruisers at the time were usually armed with an all-5.9/6" (150-153mm) battery, or a mix of 6" and 4"(100-105mm) guns.

One of the ships (HMS Vindictive) was also temporarily converted to an aircraft carrier.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-08-26 at 07:31 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

15. - Top - End - #945

But don't some universities do interviews over in Trogland too?
    Only some of them. Most do not.

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    What I have been doing with my lonely nights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXjqGZDEsU

>.>
    <.<
    Nice. And congratulations on your promotion to modhood.

All these changes instituted the second I get back. * grumbles *
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

Sucks to be staircase children. Truly.
    And staircase relatives as well. I spent all of my secondary school life with two cousins in the same tutor group as me, another second cousin in the same year (potentially three), an honourary cousin (actually related to me through marriage - her aunt married my uncle), and as we rose from Y7 to Y11 all our siblings and other relations entered the school.
    Bizarre.
    Wow. In terms of first cousins + close honourary cousins we have a couple clumps. There's 19 (me), 17, 17, 16, 15. And then the middle bunch are 13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9. And then 7, 7, 6, and 4. But we all live in different places and only two of my cousins go to school. (As we were discussing today, this is my mother's fault; she has the oldest children and because of her, all her sisters-in-law homeschool. The family of honourary cousins don't, though, nor does my mum's sister.)

Passive-agressive is fun, but I'm also a shouty person. Same with all our family.
    Have you ever done that sugary sweet voice, where you lend them X and then start dropping hints about all the other things they've borrowed and never returned; and slowly imply what would happen to their things if your stuff wasn't returned.
    Classic Big Sister Blackmail.
    Oh yes.

I have this horrible horrible memory of about two years ago getting into an all-out screaming fight with my oldest brother (then 15). It got to the point where we were standing in the kitchen and I was threatening to throw a chair at his head, screaming my head off, and then I heard a noise behind me. Turned around. Littlest brother, then age 4, was standing there and as I watched these two big fat tears rolled down his face and he began to sob.

I have never felt so terrible into my life. And that was the last time I had an out-and-out screaming/physical fight with any of my siblings.

But the sugary still sometimes happens.

Eh, a 50/50 gender family' no big thing. You iust get embarrassed by everything male and female.
    And a very no to tampons.
    Very no.
    O.o Whoa, that's a bad day for that to happen.
    I'm extremely glad you agree with me on this subject.

Also, we now have a 2:3 girl:boy ratio. 3:4 if you count the parents. Which ain't bad really.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

Dear lord. I played Nightmare House 2 and now I can't sleep.

Those goddamn mannequins.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

That's silly.

But don't you think that semicolons, being periods in drag, are a cop-out in protracted hypotaxis? I do. Meaning no offense, lady.

I must say, the sonic value of that phrase is quite pleasing.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2010-08-27 at 12:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

In the words of the immortal Patrick F. McManus:
    I've never met a semicolon that could be trusted.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

20. - Top - End - #950
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Them and horses, I just can't trust...

They're just too shifty.

ION: anyone know what the statute of limitations on a plate of nachos is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, my dad was playing the bass drum to Rush on the brake pedal on the way home. Normally, with the dense traffic, I'd tell him or someone else driving weirdly to stop (but remove the traffic, and I'd be okay with donuts, though I'd never try them myself), except all that went through my mind is that that's EXACTLY something I would do.

EDIT: Well, don't get me wrong, I'd do that if there wasn't as much traffic around. It's just something I'd do as well.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2010-08-27 at 10:21 AM.
    This avatar by Phase.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the armour is more expensive, true. But for a battlecruiser, you have a much larger expense for the most expensive part of the ship: the engines.
    As the saying goes: "Steel is cheap, and air is free", but, "speed is money".
    Plus, battlecruisers wound up being larger than battleships...
    (Necessary, to hold the size of the engines needed for their speed.)
    Okay, I believe you.

The Hawkins class of World War One British light cruisers were armed with a uniform armament of seven 7.5" (190mm) guns. Light cruisers at the time were usually armed with an all-5.9/6" (150-153mm) battery, or a mix of 6" and 4"(100-105mm) guns.

One of the ships (HMS Vindictive) was also temporarily converted to an aircraft carrier.
    Doesn't really sound especially weird to me. Unorthodox, perhaps, but not weird.

Also, battleship to aircraft carrier conversions aren't that unheard of.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

This. I will have to remember this. I rewrite sentences until they don't require a semicolon.

Mind you, there is one excellent use for a semicolon, as a super comma when making lists that contain items with commas in them.

e.g.
    Queensland, Australia; New South Wales, Australia; Victoria, Australia; Western Australia, Australia; Tasmania, Floating Off Somewhere; South Australia, Australia; etc.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

24. - Top - End - #954
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    Heh, my dad was playing the bass drum to Rush on the brake pedal on the way home. Normally, with the dense traffic, I'd tell him or someone else driving weirdly to stop (but remove the traffic, and I'd be okay with donuts), except all that went through my mind is that that's EXACTLY something I would do.

EDIT: Well, don't get me wrong, I'd do that if there wasn't as much traffic around. It's just something I'd do as well.
    To be fair, I'd find that pretty hard - I'm not a drummer. But I can't find any problem with doing it to Rush ^^. Though I'm also not a driver, so my point rapidly becomes invalid.
    Cassietar!
    Lilli
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    This. I will have to remember this. I rewrite sentences until they don't require a semicolon.

Mind you, there is one excellent use for a semicolon, as a super comma when making lists that contain items with commas in them.

e.g.
    Queensland, Australia; New South Wales, Australia; Victoria, Australia; Western Australia, Australia; Tasmania, Floating Off Somewhere; South Australia, Australia; etc.
    I see you have the same feeling about tasmania as I do about the island of Öland ('Islandland' in English) off the coast of Sweden. Unfortunately, they've anchored Öland to the mainland by way of building a bridge to the island.
    A shame, really, as Öland would be much better floating away to somewhere off the coasst of Poland or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I know I just switched back from Shark, but I got Squiddles on the brain something awful.

Squiddle dee dee!
    Squiddle dee dum!

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

The way the colour of the background on your avatar is just ever-so-slightly different from the background it's on is strangely unsettling to me.

EDIT: IT'S NOT BETTER AT ALL
    Last edited by Worira; 2010-08-27 at 12:20 PM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Okay, I know I just switched back from Shark, but I got Squiddles on the brain something awful.

Squiddle dee dee!
    Squiddle dee dum!
    Dammit phase. I JUST got that out of my head.

Imma glare at you know. I knew this new avatar would come in handy!

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah?

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Hilarious.