New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] A Very Fine Knife; gnormans e6

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    Brandon follows Valentita and Thomas into the study, and wrinkles his nose at the strange arcane objects that decorate it: "your grandfather sure liked the warm and cosy feel," he joked nervously.

Drawing a dagger he began to poke about the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot [roll0]
    Search [roll1]
    This... is not exactly how it works. haha. You need to explore the specifics of the room. "Search the papers" for some clue. If you don't have any knowledge ranks, you can still explore the objects by picking them up, using them, examining them individually. Since this part of the quest is a bit of an easter egg hunt, just saying "I search" is kinda lazy.

I retract what I said earlier about staying in this room. But lets keep it to one room at a time (that's a lot of writing for me!)

Anyways, I'm going to assume Brandon searches the papers.

Brandon makes an effort to sift through the papers scattered about the floor, but he gets nowhere quickly. There are too many, and the content of each starts to blend in with the next. It becomes clear that the pages are mostly part of some kind of journal or log. Each one is dated and recounts the day's events. Most of them concern astrological phenomenon, history, arcane rituals intended to contact this or that. Some of the pages have sketches or diagrams that must aid the understanding of what was written that day. A consistent theme throughout the pages is Gollion's research, but it is unclear what Gollion was researching. To what end? If these papers were organized by date or subject matter they would probably be very informative when cross-referenced with books from the library.

Brandon is unable to find something of particular interest in his short search. It would take the whole party a full day to organize everything. Brandon could examine a page at random, but it would certainly help if he knew what he was looking for.

The page he's holding now is about the "hills of the dog men." It speaks of a king of the dog men, the disgusting feeding habits of these dog men, and how humans are constantly running from the insatiable hunger of the dog men. The king of the dog men is given a prize for safe keeping, but the master needs to watch the treacherous curr. As a singular page it is unremarkable from the next, which Brandon gathers is about a mountain range floating in the ether. Mad ravings all!

Spoiler
    Show
    If you search the papers again I will create a page and post it, Search DC 0-10 A mild descriptor like the ones you just received. DC 11-15 Moderate interest. DC 16-20 A page of specific interest. DC 21 or better will net you a puzzle with a clue in it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

At first, Valentita is unconcerned with the papers. Instead, she searches the bric-a-brac that litters the room. She didn't know how to tell if something was magic, but she knew that the dark arts always sent a shiver up her spine...and between the totem, the scalp, and the skulls, her teeth were chattering in this room. In order to distract herself from it, she turns to the pages that have fallen like gigantic snowflakes on the floor, hoping to find anything of note.

Search - (1d20+7)[15]
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+5)[22] for anything in the pages that might relate to Castor.

As she searches, one page sticks out to her. The woman couldn't explain why, but follows her instinct and reads over the page. Something in what she reads inspires her to pay closer attention to the stack of papers, and she crouches down and begins rifling through them. As she searches, she crumples up and tosses any pages that aren't of interest, either unaware or uncaring of the fact that these pages were the last earthly connection Thomas might have to his grandfather. Finally, she stops on one page that she doesn't crumple. Instead, she studies it quizzically before standing up and showing the page to the others.

Taking 20 on Search for a result of 27.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-03-06 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Disgusted by the evil relics and decorations of this house, Nicholas began praying to the Goddess under his breath. Asking for protection and guidance as they sift through the effects of this disturbed man.

Nicholas scans the various papers on the ground, oh how he would love to spend days organizing and cataloging them all. Perhaps once their immediate task is over he would get the chance. For now though he picks up a page that catches his eye and reads it over.

After looking at that page, he is drawn to the leather bound book on Gollion's desk. He reads through it looking for any information or sign of magic.

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+4)[10]

For the book:
    Knowledge (Arcane): Take 10+8 = 18
    Decipher Script (if necessary): (1d20+8)[26]
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-03-06 at 07:35 AM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas curses softly as he pulls splinters from his leg before proceeding upward. The place has changed, the neglect criminal. But it is still my families house. I can smell the surviving herbs in the garden, wafting through the windows. Some must have persevered against the neglect and abandonment. We must persevere as well.

In the study, he catches Valentita's hand as she tosses aside papers. "We will need those. We may not have time tonight, but I have no doubt all that is written here will be of interest to the Three Cord Strand. Now, give me a moment, I will see if there is any lingering enchantment here."

Spoiler
    Show
    cast detect magic
    if nothing pings in this room, he will move to the next, leaving the others to the mundane searching. Concentrating for the full one minute, covering as many rooms as possible.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Geoffrey
    ~

Geoffrey is at first repelled by the obvious unhallow objects in the room. While he knew that the Faith, the Sword and the Tome were neccesary in their quest, it seemed deplorable to him that someone in their order would be so steeped in the dark arts. Their work was to protect the world from demons, not to consort with them. He decides that he might as well get this over with, and aproaches the glass cabinet, sifting through the items within. He pays special interests to anything that might carry holy or occult significance

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+5)[24]
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+3)[9]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+5)[25] that'd be 23. I'm forgetting my ranks.
    Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-03-06 at 01:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

The Cabinet

Geoffrey examines the objects on display. They are of a decidedly worldly quality. The snuff box, the fine silver inkwell, and the lavishness of having a crystal carafe - all of these things are the comforts of a material minded person. If he has religious items, like the censer, you get the impression that he owns them to satisfy his meglomania more than his spiritual pursuits.

Someone with experience appraising such objects might know better, but in Geoffrey's estimation the silver inkwell, the carafe and the knife are the most valuable objects.

Geoffrey is especially disgusted when he picks up the goblet, which is only painted gold and has ruddy brown stains in the creases and the bottom of the cup. The iron smell of blood is unmistakable.

The wax sealing set bares the family insignia. Geoffrey recognizes it from his correspondance with Thomas. There is some blank stationary as well. The silver inkwell is very ornate. The craftsmanship is wonderful! He cannot help himself but admire the little curls of each flower and leaf, and the relief of a young woman on one side.

The knife is also finely crafted, though in a different sense. The ivory colour elk handle was left rugged. It was a wise choice by the artist, giving the knife a huntsmen's feel, even if the blade was far too impressive to use for something as crass as hunting. It has a downward curved hawksbill blade made from folded damascus steel. As Geoffrey turns the knife over in his hand gently to examine it, he cuts himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    no save 1 hp

Ahh he calls out in surprise. Blood drips from his hand to the floor. The blade is incredibly keen. So much so that turning it over in his palm was enough to cut him.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-07 at 12:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

The Black Book

Nicholas didn't have to flip a page. There, in front of him, conveniently and exactly, was a ritual for finding the particular object you had in mind. The only catch was that it was dark magic. The symbols and words of the page appeared to shake off the paper and push out at the reader. Nicholas hears the whispers of children faintly in the distance.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen (1d20+3)[19]
    Will (1d20+5)[23]

He can just make out what the voices say.
    you eat it first

it slithers on my tongue
    i don't like it

stop

no

stop

Spoiler
    Show
    YOU DESERVE THIS

The scream in his head and sudden vision of an eye... that horrible eye.
    Nicholas manages to shake the experience. He shuts the book quickly and the voices subside. But even so, he notices that he has unconciously placed his thumb in between the pages, marking the spot of the ritual. He remembers the power the ritual promised, and it asked for nothing "but one night's dream" in return...
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-07 at 01:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

The Page

Valentita finds a page of interest on Castor. It leads to more questions than answers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-07 at 01:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

The Spell

Thomas waits for a moment to let the spell settle and the magic to come into focus. The book, the mace, the knife, and the censer come into a kind of pronounced reality. They are magic. Especially the book and the knife. Those to practically burn with magic.

Bit by bit, minute traces of magic reveal themselve in a helo of unreality. The totem. The skulls. The inkwell. and more
    these were all used in magical rituals or else they were magic at one point

it is as if the magic clings to them lightly
    they can't let go of the past

Thomas given his head a shake. This is silly, and beyond the ambit of the spell. The book, the knife, the mace and the censer. They are magical.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok and noted

Thomas drops the piece of paper down disappointed by its ravings. "Dog men, what is this?" Brandon wonders aloud. He had noted that the dog men were given an item to guard; perhaps a clue to how to find this key they searched for?

Shaking his head he moved to the curtains and tried to open them, wondering what was behind.

Should that yield nothing he next moved to the portraits and then the book shelves, examining each in turn for secret catches or levers, wondering if Gollion would have hidden something with such mundane tricks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 for 23 on Search check on each.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Geoffrey
    ~

Geoffrey startles, and almost drops the ivory knife. He gets a grip on himself, and gently puts the knife back in its proper place in the cabinet. He licks the nasty cut on his hand, holding it in an awkward angle as to avoid smearing blood on his robe.
    He frowned as Thomas started chanting. Shrugging he walks over to the wooden chest, and tries to open the lid. Should it be locked, he will start to rummage through the drawers of the desk in search of a key.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+1)[15]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas shakes his head clear. "The book, knife, mace and censer still bear enchantment. Me must take those. Any one of them could be the key." He pauses, seeing the discomfort writ on his companions' faces. "If any are uncomfortable handling the artifacts, I will bear them. I am no novice in these matters."

Much power lingers here, suffusing the room, the air itself. I would stay, delve into the mystery, walk in grandfather's footsteps myself, but there is no time. Not tonight.

What did you see?

Spoiler
    Show
    identify isn't on the BM spell list. Probably best to wait until we get to town anyhow.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"I... I.. hesitate to point this out Thomas, but this book appears to have to have a ritual in it for finding the key we seek. I do not trust it, this book is entirely wicked and evil, but I felt it was not my place to keep this information secret."
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas studies Nicholas's face for a moment, eyes keen for the tell-tales ticks of the beginnings of madness. Seeing no such thing, he stretches out his hand. "Let me see the book. If it is necessary to find the key, what choice do we have?"

Sensing the rising objections, he continues, "There is a room, across the hall, for performing rituals. It was once warded, strongly. They should provide some protection against any ill effects. I will see if the wards remain intact. Do not fear, I know better than most the need for caution in these matters. Nothing here is to be trifled with."

Spoiler
    Show
    He doesn't open the book until he has checked the ritual room (detect magic, spellcraft check to identify wards (1d20+8)[18]), if they seem intact and nothing else jumps out at him, he will bring the magic items in there and read the ritual. He will of course ask the brothers to pray and bless him before doing so. He'll probably cast protection from evil as well.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-07 at 09:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

The Chest

Geoffry removes the chest from the shelf. It is surprisingly light. Even before he opens it, he knows the chest will be empty. He is nearly right. A single silver coin lies wedged between the base and sides of the chest. He hypothesizes that the was was filled with silver at one point, but was emptied.

16. - Top - End - #46

Brandon's Search

It took twenty minutes to search everything. The others were busy with some book or other. Geoffrey was preoccupied with an empty chest. There were no secret passages or hidden switches. Brandon, feeling frustrated by the fruitlessness of his own searches, and the apparent success of the others', whips open the study curtains.

Nothing but silvery purple twilight and shadows. Brandon finds nothing.

17. - Top - End - #47

The Ritual Room Door

Thomas confidently strides down to the ritual room. Opposite the door he notes another of his grandfather's macrabe murals.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge: planes check (1d20+8)[17]

He knows he is looking at a depiction of a lower plane of the Abyss, but the details are lost on him.

He turns to more immediate concerns. The ritual room. Thomas presses his thumb down on the plunger of the handle. It is stuck, however, and the door is effectively jammed. He jiggles the handle a bit, but it won't budge. One good slam to the plunger ought loosen it and lift the jammed bold inside. As far as he can remember, his grandfather never locked this door or attempted to hid what he was in his own home. His servants were all loyal and his guests never went upstairs. This was probably the age of the place showing itself again.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-07 at 10:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I'll bite.
    Thomas frowns, jiggling the handle once more before slamming the plunger with his fist then pushing his shoulder into the door for good measure..

19. - Top - End - #49

The Ritual Room
    Slamming his fist down on the handle loosens the plunger and opens the door. However, as the plunger goes down, a pin goes up into Thomas' meaty palm.

Spoiler
    Show

1 dmg
    Fort save (1d20+2)[7] DC 11
    or (1d2)[1] Dex dmg for (1d4)[1] hours

The pin was obviously coated with some form of poison. It numbs Thomas' hand frightfuly bad. It is not a pleasant hinderance. Why didn't he ask Valentita to open the door? She could have her hand stabbed and numbed. At least it was a minor inconvenience. Thomas wonders when his grandfather had that little gem installed.

Inside the ritual room is much as Thomas remembered. A protective circle, much like the one Esther had drawn in her home, is the central feature. Acana meant to bind outsiders to their promises dominated the room. The world of demons had its special set of rules. They were creatures of evil and chaos, but if you knew their ways, then you could make powerful deals with them or bind them to your service. This... this was a good ritual room. It had magical braziers stocked with unexhaustable coal from the fires of 21st layer of the Abyss, the so called "sixth pyre". His father was proud of that prize. A six foot granite altar at the back of the room was dressed with candles and black silk. Gollion always kept this room neat and tidy, in spite of its alleged "unclean" nature. Two organized shelve with supplies were parallel each other on the left and right. Gollion loved symmetry. They had viles of blood and bile, boxes of feathers, bones, dead insects, and other ritual materials fully stocked and ready for use. Some components were spoiled. Thomas dared not open a mason jar of cheese curds, for example. But for the most part, this was a demonologist's dream.

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 (or in some case +4) to any ritual cast in this room. +1 CL to any "demonic" type spell and summoning spells in this room. You may not take components with you to boost your spells.

At ritual for minor summoning appears half-way completed. It is a spell for summoning and binding a minor demon to service for as long as the demon exists on this plane, or "until the creature's name is spoken". The price was already paid. If Thomas could remember the final words he would have a free pet. But he would have to be careful. The demon may be clever and trick Thomas into saying his or her name. This would release the creature onto the mortal plane, free as a bird until vanquished. And to make matters tricker, he did not know the name because he did not perform the bulk of the ritual. Still, free was always good.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-07 at 11:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

(I presume you meant Thomas, since I don't think he used Brandon's hand )

Thomas jerks his hand away, blood welling out of the gouge. He bites of the curse that leaped to his tongue, his anger and frustration fading to confusion and concern as his feat grew unsteady. Leaning against the wall with his uninjured hand, he stops for a moment. "That...that was not there before. I ought be more cautious and not presume on my familiarity. Perhaps someone more skilled in these matters should go ahead before I continue my inspection."
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-07 at 11:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas stands still, wavering slightly as he contemplates the half-finished ritual. Lost in thought, his companions start to wonder if something has happened to him. Snapping out of it, he turns. "I am uncertain that it would be safe to attempt anything here while the ritual that was last performed remains open. Give me a moment to understand it."

Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft name (1d20+8)[21]
    spellcraft type (1d20+8)[10]

22. - Top - End - #52

Thomas thinks for a moment and then remembers the words that will, should he speak them, complete the ritual and summon a lesser demon as his servant. The spell has an infinite duration and the price, already paid, was in blood. It seems an old choice of spell for a black mage as powerful as his grandfather. Odder still that it was not completed. Nevertheless, Thomas is absolutely certain of the spell's purpose and effect. The demon should be bound to Thomas' service, unable to do anything that might harm or hinder him or his friends, until it is destroyed, banished, or until its name is spoken (in demon lore, this is because addressing it so gives it status as an equal).

All he needs to do is say nine little words...

"soba tahil ginonupe pereje aladi, das vaurebes obolehe giresam"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Geoffrey closes the lid of the chest. Thomas has been gone for a while now. Perhaps something has happened to him? He might be stuck somewhere... or worse. Suddenly in a hurry, Geoffrey walks off in the direction Thomas had seemed to be going. He breathes a sigh of relief when he sees him standing just inside the ritual room, appearently captivated by something. Geoffrey's relief is shortlived however, as he sees what Thomas is staring at, mumbling something about understanding the ritual.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

Valentita squints as she reads the last page she picked up, as one squints to make out something that isn't quite clear. However, no matter how she adjusts her eyes she can't fully understand the ravings listed on the page. It seemed to bounce between a journal of a demonic summoning (the Hound of Yeenoghu, an undead army), personal vendetta (John Walsh the rag mender), and the disturbing. The sketch at the bottom of the page shook Val to her core; scrawled in the margin is the image of the city, upside-down, with children falling out of its roots and into flame. The butcher tried telling herself that the figures lacked any detail and didn't have to be children, but she couldn't make herself see it any other way. Then there was the talk of "borrowing against Castor"...Had Gollion used the city and its people as ante in a high-stakes game he couldn't win?

Knowledge Local - (1d20+5)[21] to identify John Walsh or anything else recognizable to Val about Castor.

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    "Dog men, what is this?" Brandon wonders aloud. He had noted that the dog men were given an item to guard; perhaps a clue to how to find this key they searched for?
    Val's ears perk up as Brandon mentions dog men. "Think 'dog men' are the sheriff's boys." She laughs once, quickly and quietly, nodding her head. "Can't say it doesn't fit. This page may give us a guide to translating the other pages. Everyone take a look." At this, she passes the page around to the others, drawing their attention to the list at the bottom of the page:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Neath the manor: perversion of the flesh
    2. Sheriff's keep: kingdom of the dog-men
    3. vineyard: endless wylde (the mind of evil)
    4. harbor: abyssal seas & isle (gaping maw)
    5. lost canals: endless maze
    6. sky gardens: shandilavri?
    7. quarry: the Iron Wastes
    8. ampitheatre: the liar's tale
    9. Monastery: mouth of misery

As the others read the page, she asks "Anyone see anything familiar? Whatever's going on here is bigger than this manor. We should make haste to complete our search."

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Thomas shakes his head clear. "The book, knife, mace and censer still bear enchantment. Me must take those. Any one of them could be the key." He pauses, seeing the discomfort writ on his companions' faces. "If any are uncomfortable handling the artifacts, I will bear them. I am no novice in these matters."
    Val feels drawn to the blade. She knows that this is simply because of her appreciation for its craftsmanship, rather than anything as eery as the knife "calling to her." However, that doesn't explain why she can't ignore her interest in it. Reasoning that it's probably nothing, she shrugs and says "I can carry the knife. Looks keen enough to risk harming the lot of you, and I've got the know-how to use it safely." She holds out her hand to Thomas with her palm raised to the sky, wordlessly demanding it from him in the same way she kept dangerous objects out of her children's possession. So beautiful, she thinks to herself, Just let me hold it...wield it.

"Let me see the book. If it is necessary to find the key, what choice do we have?"
    Plenty of folks had used this line of thought before, and Val didn't like it. It starts out of necessity, but then every occasion becomes a necessity. It starts as a matter of last resort, but then there are no more resorts. Living in the poorer part of Castor, the butcher had seen her fair share of addictions; by now she is wise enough to try stopping it before it even starts...especially when that addiction transcended wrestling metaphorical demons and skipped straight to actual demons.

Valentita raises a hand, palm out, as if to halt someone. "Thomas," she says sternly, her maternal role as a disciplinarian coming to the fore, "There's always another way. Magic is business; business has its profits, but it also carries costs. Be sure to count the cost."

"That...that was not there before. I ought be more cautious and not presume on my familiarity. Perhaps someone more skilled in these matters should go ahead before I continue my inspection."
    Valentita begins to yawn at the lateness of the hour, but stops and kicks herself. It was her job to make sure accidents like that didn't happen, damn it--that's why Esther had asked her to join the Cord. With a small shiver, Val rids herself of the stress of her day and tries to make herself alert. She says nothing, but nods silently and takes the lead. Her eyes are peeled for any signs of movement, and she listens intently to the silence around them for any indication of danger. She wouldn't let that happen again.

"I am uncertain that it would be safe to attempt anything here while the ritual that was last performed remains open. Give me a moment to understand it."
    Val didn't like the looks of this room at all; while the wards in Esther's sanctuary conveyed goodness and safety, the wards in this room seemed more precarious, as if they teetered on the brink between good and evil. Rather than starting another argument with Thomas about his dalliances in the dark arts, she tries to usher the party onward by saying, "We know with certainty that it would be unsafe to attempt anything here, period. We should continue our search and hurry back to Esther."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-03-08 at 07:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas manages a tired, sad smile. "Count the costs? My dear Valentita, I know the cost very well. I walk the edge of the knife, teetering between madness and damnation, selling my life and soul to purchase peace and ignorance for the masses. Sui oblitus commodi, 'regardless of his own interest', you've seen it written on these walls, beneath the crest."

He looks away, face taught, eyes intense. "Magic is no business, it is power. And power is what we must have if we are to persevere. You think this place dark and evil? Here is our hope for victory. Aye, the Tome is the source of our knowledge, understanding our foes and turning their strength against themselves."

He slumps slightly, his face relaxing. "But the Faith and the Sword are no less needed. I will hear council." He waves a hand about him. "To strive in isolation in...unwise."

26. - Top - End - #56

John Walsh

Where had Val heard that name before? John Walsh.
    John
    Walsh...

Walsh is a very common name. She knew several Walsh families.

rag mender?

This implies that he is poor. Very poor. Mending raggy clothes for coin is something old widows do on busy street corners. Their customers take pity on them more than anything else. If this John Walsh character was actually and mender of rags, Valentita would have heard of him. No, this has to be a jibe. It was a slight on a tailor.

Val was an expert on the who's who of Caster, but it wasn't the impossible feat of knowing everyone that made her an expert. It was knowing who knows!

Brandon, who's that tailor that lives by your house? The one that makes fine lady's dresses. she asked on a hunch.

Danielle Tully. Why do you ask? he replied.

Tully is a name she knew. Bradley Tully married a Danielle Walsh a few years back. Danielle Walsh inherited her couturier from her father who went missing around the same time that the page was dated. Val feels confident that Danielle's father is the John Walsh this paper speaks of.

1391 also sticks in her mind as significant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13] Local DC 15 (Would be +2 for any ranks in History) ***

But unfortunately she can't recall why. Maybe Danielle would know.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-09 at 12:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Brandon steps back; his physical searches had yielded nothing whilst the others kept falling into traps.
    He moved to the mace on the wall and whilst Valentita acquainted herself with the dagger he drew down the heavy weapon.

"Thomas; let me search instead of you, we'll need you if we want to survive this I think, and I imagine open wounds in this place are more dangerous than in any other abandoned house."

Brandon moves to search as Thomas instructs, hefting the mace in case any searches require a more physical application.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Soba tahil ginonupe pereje aladi, das vaurebes obolehe giresam, those words will finish the spell...but what will be called? Can it provide answers? The danger will not be immediate, though I doubt the others will approve. But answers, even the chance...

To Brandon, absentmindedly, "Yes, go ahead. I'll be here a moment."

"I will examine the book as well. This was the page, was it not?" Stand in the protective circle and scans the page, hoping to discern more than Nicholas.

Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft (1d20+8)[12]
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-08 at 03:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

The Black Book

Spoiler
    Show

Listen (1d20)[17]
    Will Save (1d20+2)[6] (+2 ritual circle bonus)

Thomas opens the black leather bound book to the marked page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure enough, it is as Nicholas said. He could have cast it himself if Nicholas had the wherewithal. It is a spell to find whatever you might seek. Thomas is impressed. This particular ritual is extremely powerful, with lasting effect and free of error. Most of these kinds of scrying spells only work if the caster has a token of the thing sought, or if they have a clear picture in mind. What good is that? If Thomas knew what he was looking for, then he would just go and get it! And even then such spells have a good chance of fizzling. This spell works even if the caster only has the vaguest idea of what he might be seeking. It puts the vision of the object in your head, and as if you had an inner compass, you always know the path to it.

The price is troubling. The words "but one night's dream" sound innocuous, but the connotation of a peaceful slumber belies its true nature. Thomas knew full well that some demons have the power to kill you in your dreams. Others merely confuse you or give you a restless night's sleep. Certainly no demon would ask for anything that wasn't of interest to them. Pain and misery is what interests them.

More troubling still, there was no indication which demon wrote the spell. "Spell" was a bit of a misnomer. Rituals of this kind were closer to a contract. Some dark magic drew power from the world, like the one's he had on hand. Others came with a price. They were offers to treat, from whatever soul dared to make the deal. Without know which demon was offering, Thomas could not know the actual price. Fortunately, few demons have any real powers over our dreams.

He is weighing the pros and cons when he begins to hear the whispers.
    He strains to hear them without thinking.

it's y our tu r n now

but

but i

dont w ant to

its y
    ou
    r

turn

eat it

n o

if y o u dont eatit
    t hen
    youraliar

ill neve r forg ive you

lets make h i m eat it

but its y o u r t u rn
    i ll
    make you!

wait

i like this idea
    lets
    m a k e h i m
    eat it

i t will

be fun

Thomas hears the giggles of children.

yes let s

you r e right
    we ll do tha t

it ll be

...fun

thomas...

Spoiler
    Show
    EAT THIS

Thomas is unconscious. The black book has disappeared.

Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-09 at 12:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

The Mace

Brandon pulls the heavy mace from the wall. It is one of bulbous hallow maces from the Easterly folk. It looks a little like a big pumpkin on the end of a stick. Still, it has a good feel to it, and Brandon figures it could do some damage in a pinch.

It gives off a slight humming sound when it moves. The sound is quite audible when it is swung.

Spoiler
    Show

Hvy Mace: Knockback (if med or small hit then Fort DC 19 or 5ft back), Resounding (if hits then +1 global to all ally in 30ft), Cold Iron
    1d8 dmg, crit x2