New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Matter scyfy series

Spoiler: Latest episodes
    Show
    I had really started liking the new pre-memory returned four. He had a conflict about loyalties to his home but he also had the sort of kindness we'd seen in the flashbacks to his youth. It seemed to be the "best" version of him - all of the skill and ruthless potential with all of the humanity of a just ruler.

The surprise twist, even the brother, makes ruthless sense when you consider his "for the homeland" mentality coupled with his father's ruthlessness. If he is to unite the homeland and win the war he cannot allow of threats to his rule, and so long as his brother lives there will be many in the empire who consider him an unlawful usurper and seek to restore their "rightful" ruler to his place. That his brother is loyal to him and doesn't want to be emperor doesn't really fit into that sort of equation. He also is going to try to force the Raza to give him their blink drive now that he has all of them at his mercy and knows both that the Android can be emotionally swayed and that Six is adamantly against letting an army have that tech. With the killing of his brother Four has put himself in a position of power from which to deliver his ultimatum.

Now this doesn't answer how he could have coherently given that order or communicated all of that in a few syllables without his brother realizing he was about to be killed also.

He would have been smarter to have executed his step-mother but otherwise taken the Seer's "offer" (I'm not calling it a prediction because it sounded more like a plea). The Seers could be as potent as the blink drive when dealing with the immediate threat while maintaining a friendship-alliance with the blink-wielding Raza and slowly working towards getting it at a later time. The Seers help him win the war, the Raza crew is free of a dagerous recurring enemy, has safe harbor in the empire and helps them as a third party mediator... This is what I think pre-memory restored Four would have done. His brother's humanity paired with his ruthelessness would have made for an effective but Just leadership.

Instead Ryo chose to cut-off that humanity and become his father.

My prediction - This will push the Raza crew toward's six's plans of becoming galactic heroes.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the same with the possessed Three thing.
    Spoiler: Spoilery spoiler stuff.
    Show
    I don't think we've seen the last of whatever that was. I think the writers just threw that in as a quick introduction to something they will be doing next year....and may be the reason Two was created. A synthetic human may not be susceptible. You can bet that's going to tie into the colony of free androids as well.

I'm loving the show. I can't wait to see the finale, and was so happy it was picked up for a third season.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPanda View Post
    Spoiler: Latest episodes
    Show

He would have been smarter to have executed his step-mother but otherwise taken the Seer's "offer" (I'm not calling it a prediction because it sounded more like a plea). The Seers could be as potent as the blink drive when dealing with the immediate threat while maintaining a friendship-alliance with the blink-wielding Raza and slowly working towards getting it at a later time. The Seers help him win the war, the Raza crew is free of a dagerous recurring enemy, has safe harbor in the empire and helps them as a third party mediator... This is what I think pre-memory restored Four would have done. His brother's humanity paired with his ruthelessness would have made for an effective but Just leadership.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, the Seers can't be trusted and he might never catch them off guard again. Ultimately they don't make alliances so much as they move pawns around the board. As soon as they had access to the blink drive, they would start shopping another long term partner if Four did not prove pliable enough for their liking. So, killing their leadership was definitely the right play.

Not sure why he killed his brother though.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure why he killed his brother though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just to show how evil he is. I think the Raza crew are going to have to take his memory away again to deal with him. I don't see the crew continuing to deal with him as he currently is.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Just had an odd thought, what if the Seers deliberately told Four so he would do the exact opposite?

So maybe those Seers actually sacrificed themselves for whoever they're working for to bring Four to the position of Emperor where they can best manipulate him for their own benefit?

Someone tried to turn the ship AI against the crew, maybe that was a diversion to hide the fact Four's memories were being restored in a way that the crew wouldn't notice and that's why the Seers were seemingly blindsided?

It was all a ruse to establish a new power and effectively the big bad for season 3.

Is that a possible outcome of the last episode?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just had an odd thought, what if the Seers deliberately told Four so he would do the exact opposite?

So maybe those Seers actually sacrificed themselves for whoever they're working for to bring Four to the position of Emperor where they can best manipulate him for their own benefit?

Someone tried to turn the ship AI against the crew, maybe that was a diversion to hide the fact Four's memories were being restored in a way that the crew wouldn't notice and that's why the Seers were seemingly blindsided?

It was all a ruse to establish a new power and effectively the big bad for season 3.

Is that a possible outcome of the last episode?
    Too complicated. That requires more subtlety and intrigue than this show is meant for. This isn't Lost or X-Files.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I thought it was showing that he had learned the lesson from the previous episode. Nyx told him he was too predictable and the events of this episode bore this out. The Raza crew was able to turn the tables by becoming unpredictable. Thus when presented with the opportunity he decided to become 'Opposite Ryo'.

if every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have two theories about Emperor Ryo's decision. The first that came to mind is because of him talking to the mirror universe counterparts. I thought Four was told that he had allies mirror-Four remembered in the empire, but that keeping him (his brother?) around for so long turned out to be a mistake.

The second was that he intentionally did not do what the Seers predicted, based on his prediction game with Nyx in the previous episode. Basically, because they correctly guessed what he wanted to do, he could be sure they were too dangerous to allow to live. I figure he communicated the order so quickly based on their offering a prediction for the Seers, the stepmother, and his brother, and he just had to say "kill all of them."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    So he pulled a Five?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Tonight's the season finale....can't wait to see what they have planned for the cliffhanger.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Judging from the promos, it has to do with averting the Corporate War. And Five in a wig.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-16 at 04:29 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Here I go again.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was too good to be true. Three wins a verbal argument, so to speak, against a female, proving he's not the ignoramus she thinks he is. It's a somewhat common trope actually irrelevant to the point. It can be any intellectual who thinks the (dumb) warrior doesn't know anything as he explains something only for the warrior to jump in with the answer. Spock does it in Troubles With Tribbles interrupting to give the definition of quadratriticale. It's given a twist in the first Avengers movie when Tony Stark starts spewing technobabble only for Bruce Banner to jump in finishing the thought, but Bruce Banner would be the one to know what Tony Stark is talking about in the first place. Still, this is Three so he must be punished for his insolence. That comes later when he gets beat up by a little girl. It's Five, but still. He could have just met up with Five normally. It wasn't plot crucial for it to have happened that way.

Maybe it was validated before, but now it's more obvious that The Corporations rule the galaxy. It's a logical possibility given it took Corporation financing to make space colonization work in the interests of profit. The Galactic Authority is not government. It's the Neutral police force The Corporations probably set up for mutual interest of protection, but it's possible it is a remnant of a past government. However, that's a philosophical theory not really important to the show.

Four is really a jerk.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I finally got around to watching episodes 12 and 13. Now I have to wait a year for the new season. Man, they really love their cliffhanger season finales, though. Imagine if we didn't already know yet that there would be a season three? I'd be flipping out.

I'm curious about Zairon, in terms of worldbuilding. We know Earth (Terra Prime) still exists, so presumably so does Japan. So did the Japanese at some point go out into space and colonize a number of planets, creating an empire in space? Why? Also interesting that not everyone in Zairon is Japanese, as we saw people of other ethnicities in the empire. How could the corporations and the GA rule so much of known space, but not Zairon? Are there other independent empires out there, as well? I don't know, I just get curious about that sort of thing.

Anyway, major spoilers following for the finale:

Spoiler: S2E13 - But First, We Save The Galaxy
    Show
    Let's do a potential body count here.

Two - She appeared to have been knocked out in a secondary explosion before the station blew up. However, I won't rule her out as being alive. Her nanites have allowed her to survive the vacuum of space, and she's recently had an upgrade. So really, I can believe she survived even this.

Three - Three was beat up but was found by someone before the station blew up. It's possible that person got him away before then. Did anyone recognize who it was? My screen was dark and it was kind of blurry, so I couldn't identify him if I was supposed to at all.

Ryo - Well, we know he survived. But I suspect he's no longer going to be a full member of the cast next season. Now that he's Emperor, he can't exactly join the crew of the Raza for their misadventures, even if they did decide to forgive him for starting a war.

Five - She was following Truffault who seemed to know where she was going. I'm sure she had some kind of backup plan to get off the station if she needed to, so they are both most likely alive.

Six - Fate unknown. He got free of his cell but we never saw him leave the station. The fact that it was ambiguous leads me to think he's probably still alive.

Android - Alive and well, on the Raza. Which is good, because otherwise we'd all riot.

Nyx - She seems to be dead. Weird that her precog abilities didn't see that coming. It is possible she survived somehow, but as I seem to have been wrong about One and Devon so far, I suppose I should stop second-guessing myself and just assume she died. :/ This means we've lost all of the new crew members for this season. Are they going to introduce new ones in season three then?

Kierken - Well, he done blew up. However...no, no, follow me on this. Kierken clearly blew up in the blast. There was nothing unambiguous about that. But did you notice he was clean-shaven? That sounds weird, but he is always depicted as stubbly except when he was a clone two episodes back. This maaaaaaaaay be a hint that he was a clone on the station, too, and therefore is still alive. I guess we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to season 3. Aside from the fallout of this episode, there are other loose threads that are still out there, including that FTL capable Marauder that they brought back with them from the alternate universe. In the meantime, there's nothing to do but wait. Although if someone who has the know-how wants to make me a couple of animated gifs of Three being hit by a woman (Two, Nyx, Five, Android--any of 'em) with the word 'misandry' flashing on the screen, I'll have something to post next season whenever Pex starts complaining.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I just misremembering for wishful thinking or was the guy who approached Three at the end of the episode One, the actor who played the real One not Jace Corso-One?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know who it was, but it didn't look like Derek Moss/Jace Corso/One to me. Actually, it kind of looked like Anders, Six's old partner from the GA. Although he is also supposed to be dead, so...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It apparently was Anders at the end. This is his actor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffTerav...78468747612161
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-19 at 05:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Spoiler: S2E13 - But First, We Save The Galaxy
    Show

Kierken - Well, he done blew up. However...no, no, follow me on this. Kierken clearly blew up in the blast. There was nothing unambiguous about that. But did you notice he was clean-shaven? That sounds weird, but he is always depicted as stubbly except when he was a clone two episodes back. This maaaaaaaaay be a hint that he was a clone on the station, too, and therefore is still alive. I guess we'll see.

Spoiler: Spoilery response
    Show
    I like that theory a lot. It makes sense. You're right in that he is always portrayed with a beard...although if the clone hasn't grown out a beard, why do the clones have hair at all?

I like the actor, I'll have to look for other stuff he's done.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While watching the episode where Commander Truffles (the woman who saved them from the Corporation who hired them for the pilot episode job that they pissed off) hired them to steal that object, I made a realization about this show:

I think that this is almost like a play-through of a Shadowrun game, or maybe something Cyberpunk. The main characters would fit as a player controlled party or being controlled by players in a roleplaying game. It at least feels that way.

Or maybe it isn't, and in which case maybe it doesn't fit in anyway at all.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

On a rewatch of the 2nd season I'm pretty sure the Inspector is dead. Sure, his missing facial hair is suspicious - except there were 2 different cloned GA agents with his earlier clone that had facial hair.

Not saying they couldn't bring him back with that handwave, but unless that was a big mistake on the part of the show's crew, it doesn't look good for the dear inspector.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

On missing facial hair, he's at a really posh event. Maybe he actually shaved or something. It's a strange place to be applying Occam's Razor, but he's probably not a clone. Since they have evidence the cloning bays aren't totally secure, it makes sense to not have any on the station.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I went to a Dark Matter panel at the Calgary Expo this weekend. Melissa O'Neil (Two) and Roger Cross (Six) were the guests. Not many revelations to share, though they did say some real shockers were coming in Season 3, which starts on June 9.

Interestingly, they had no idea who was the "mole" up until they filmed that final scene in Season 1. They also didn't know that you-know-who was going to kick the bucket in Season 2.

I did ask about the name of the show. Their response was along the lines of "I think it just sounds cool," although Melissa hinted that there may be some payoff way down the line.

There were a lot of jokes about Roger Cross' career. He's appeared as a minor or major character in nearly every sci-fi TV show in the last 20 or so years. His TV credits include Sliders, First Wave, Stargate SG-1, The Outer Limits, Andromeda, Relic Hunter, The Twilight Zone, Continuum, Orphan Black, Enterprise, The 4400, Fringe, Chuck, Eureka, Arrow and The Strain.

Note: if you ever want to impress Melissa O'Neil, bring a dog. Somebody shifted in their seat and there was a rattling noise similar to a dog collar, and her reaction was immediately, "Dog? Dog? Is there a dog here? I love dogs!"
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-01 at 05:07 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Season 3 premiered last night. I might be the only one still watching the series on this forum, so I'll do this one necropost and leave it at that.

Spoiler
    Show
    The season 3 premiere was pretty decent. The show seems to have gotten a little bigger budget since they had some nearly FX, like that security drone Three had to take out.

I was not shocked they killed off Nyx. She was not in any promotional material and her actress went to work on another series. I won't shed a lot of tears, because I thought her character was a wee bit Mary Sue-ish. But I guess we won't get any Two/Nyx sexeh times now.

I think that was literally the first time we've ever seen Four upset. But I'm digging Misaki's Lady Macbeth act.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-10 at 09:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

I also watch the show, thought the new season two-parter was pretty interesting. Was rather surprised

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    They got the blink drive back so easily, but then I suppose it would upset the balance of power too much if Zairon kept ahold of it.

And is it just me, or did the inspector's actor change?
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    I figured they'd get back the blink drive. I'm willing to bet that Four won't stay as ruler of Zairon for too long.

I think you're confusing Lieutenant Anders with Chief Inspector Kierken, Maquise. Anders has been around since Season One; Kierken joined in Season Two.

http://darkmatter.wikia.com/wiki/Anders

http://darkmatter.wikia.com/wiki/Kierken
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-10 at 10:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahh, that makes much more sense. A pity, that means we don't know whether Kierken survived or not, and I liked him as a semi-antagonist.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Darn I didn't know. Checked for future reairings. None at a good time for me. There isn't even one before the next episode. Hope I can watch it online.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Do we know if season 3 is on any of the major streaming services?

Also do we know weather or not season 3 is featuring any nudity/sex on screen? (I ask because if the answer is yes I can't watch it at work on semi regular slow shifts, and if no, I can.).
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I think Sy Fy has an app you can use to watch their shows. Dunno about other options.

I can't imagine the show being raunchier than it was in the first two seasons (sex occurred, but was mostly off screen). But a better person to ask would be one of the creators on Twitter, like Joseph Mallozzi (Baron Destructo).

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaronDestructo
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-11 at 02:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S3E1 - Being Better Is So Much Harder
    Show
    What was up with that weird kiss between Two and ghost Nyx? Maybe I need to go rewatch season 2 again, but I don't remember anything even quasi-romantic or sexual between them before. Nyx was totally into Four, wasn't she? Was that just a random lesbian kiss for ratings or something? I'm so confused.

Spoiler: S3E2 - It Doesn't Have To Be Like This
    Show
    So Five has a sister. And we got to see more of her backstory. Although if those memories are now sealed off for good, I guess that's the last of the flashbacks. Oh, also, did Five store Three's girlfriend's brain in a computer or something? What in the world does she intend to do with it?

Also, it looks like this is going to be the first season where Amanda Tapping doesn't direct any episodes. That's too bad.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler: S3E1 - Being Better Is So Much Harder
    Show
    What was up with that weird kiss between Two and ghost Nyx? Maybe I need to go rewatch season 2 again, but I don't remember anything even quasi-romantic or sexual between them before. Nyx was totally into Four, wasn't she? Was that just a random lesbian kiss for ratings or something? I'm so confused.
    There was a tiny bit of sexual tension. Two's actress has signalled on social media for a while that the character was bisexual.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-11 at 02:18 PM.