New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Until someone develops telepathy that consistently works.
    I'd argue that such a thing, while technically possible, would by necessity be physical in nature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The information is not actually being transmitted. It is being created within your mind based on expectations, logic, and input from your senses.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. One can philosophically argue about the nature of information, but bottom line is you can do things to make other people know things, and these things are necessarily physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I'd argue that such a thing, while technically possible, would by necessity be physical in nature.
    Perhaps. It's hard to say when it doesn't exist, and especially when it doesn't exist in any sort of theoretical framework.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can make people think things faster than light, but not know them.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1384

Let's have alook at that sock-information scenario. If the sock is put up at time A, then the eye will perceive it at a certain time after, once the light reflecting off the sock has reached the eye. From then, the eye sends small electric pulses through the nerves to the brain, moving, of course, slower than light. After that, electric pulses much travel between different parts of the brain, until eventually the brain comes to a conclusion that the other foot has the other sock colour.

Yay.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Perhaps. It's hard to say when it doesn't exist, and especially when it doesn't exist in any sort of theoretical framework.
    Well, I'm operating under the assumption that all of the components, to the extent of our knowledge, are physical in nature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1386

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Let's have alook at that sock-information scenario. If the sock is put up at time A, then the eye will perceive it at a certain time after, once the light reflecting off the sock has reached the eye. From then, the eye sends small electric pulses through the nerves to the brain, moving, of course, slower than light. After that, electric pulses much travel between different parts of the brain, until eventually the brain comes to a conclusion that the other foot has the other sock colour.

Yay.
    My point is that this conclusion about the other sock is not based on any direct interaction, only past experience and related information.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

But if a sock is revealed in the woods, and nobody's around to see it, does it die like a cat in a box?

EDIT: Aaand I'm an ogre now. Well. This was a nice 2000th post, now, wasn't it?
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-05-30 at 09:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

But if a sock is revealed in the woods, and nobody's around to see it, does it die like a cat in a box?

EDIT: Aaand I'm an ogre now. Well. This was a nice 2000th post, now, wasn't it?
    You forgot to add in one hand clapping.
    And congratulations, chum.
    Phase is no longer sick! Hooray! Three days asleep fixed my right up!

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Dwarf in the Playground

good for you Phase! I.... unfortunatly... am still sick, this makes day 13... at least I get to miss school... but darn... this is horrible...
    Thank you Lostone for the avatar!

"I was driven Insane by long periods of horrible saninty"
    -Edgar Alan Poe(yay, the poe guy!)

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ash08 View Post
    good for you Phase! I.... unfortunatly... am still sick, this makes day 13... at least I get to miss school... but darn... this is horrible...
    Jampers--any idea what you have? Usually, if I have something for that long, it's a fever of some kind.

Also: wish me luck, guys--just sent off a query to The Escapist, which is a sort of proto-submission for an article. It's a longshot, but it'd be nice if they accepted it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Dwarf in the Playground

First came fever.... than came pink eye... then came the horrible cough... hopefully the "getting better" part will come soon...(I don't quite get how I've gotten so many weird unrelated things... but the doctors I've visited say that's it's nothing to worry about so...)

But I have been getting steadly better for the last two days. I estimate that I'll most likly be going back to school on monday, which as weird as it sounds(I really, really, hate the school where I am and can't wait for next year to go to where I'm transfering) I'm looking forward to.

Oh yes, and best of luck Rutskarn!
    Last edited by Ash08; 2009-05-30 at 11:36 PM.
    Thank you Lostone for the avatar!

"I was driven Insane by long periods of horrible saninty"
    -Edgar Alan Poe(yay, the poe guy!)

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ettin in the Playground

Jampers--any idea what you have? Usually, if I have something for that long, it's a fever of some kind.

Also: wish me luck, guys--just sent off a query to The Escapist, which is a sort of proto-submission for an article. It's a longshot, but it'd be nice if they accepted it.
    Luck, but if you get accepted, don't forget all your fans back home once the influx from Escapist comes along, and by fans I mean your number one fan who is me.

And get better soon, Ash.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Good luck with it!

Go teach Yahtzee who's the boss.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That'd take all the fun out of life by the added necessity of curing the human animal of all the sexual foibles that much things interesting.

I just wanted you to know, Good Luck, we're all counting on you.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-05-31 at 02:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Gooooood morni--- *looks at clock* noon everyone!

16. - Top - End - #1396

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Gooooood morni--- *looks at clock* noon everyone!
    Have a good lunch? You just reminded me that I need to eat breakfast after staying up all night myself...

Ah the wonders of travel + insomnia...
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Have a good lunch? You just reminded me that I need to eat breakfast after staying up all night myself...

Ah the wonders of travel + insomnia...
    I'm about to have a nice lunch.

18. - Top - End - #1398

NecromancerGuy

I'm about to have a nice lunch.
    What're you having? I'm finishing off a peanut butter sandwich and some kind of liquid yogurt drink that my mother purchased for her dietary concerns but proceeded to never actually use, instead favoring obscene consumption of red meat and sweets, seeming to take having had all of her sons reach adulthood as some kind of justification for such willful abuse and neglect of her body during the last window she has to turn things around so she can actually enjoy living to 70.

Where was I? Oh yeah, oddly enough, finally found some actual 100% juice stuff that's orange+pineapple... you see the flavor combination other places but this is the first time I've seen the juices sold in a mixture with one another.

I'm presuming you're doing something nearer to home since you have time to post...

...ow... is it supposed to hurt your face to have anything come in contact with it during the sandpaper phase? I don't remember it being this painful the last time I shaved it all off....
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-05-31 at 07:18 AM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Pasta and ice cream. OOOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Don't listen to her, you just eat whatever you want.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Better Sock scenario:

Let's say two electron are orbiting in cohesion, many millions of light years apart. One spinning upwards, the other spinning downward. By some irrelevant circumstance, we know that: They are spinning in complete opposite directions. They will never change direction. And no outside force will interfere with the electrons. By seeing electron A spinning upward, doesn't that mean electron B is spinning downward, before the millions of years (by the seemingly malleable speed of light) it would take to travel however far out and see Electron B? Thus the transmission of that information moves faster than the speed of light. But again, it is useless information and therefore, ultimately irrelevant.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    Better Sock scenario:

Let's say two electron are orbiting in cohesion, many millions of light years apart. One spinning upwards, the other spinning downward. By some irrelevant circumstance, we know that: They are spinning in complete opposite directions. They will never change direction. And no outside force will interfere with the electrons. By seeing electron A spinning upward, doesn't that mean electron B is spinning downward, before the millions of years (by the seemingly malleable speed of light) it would take to travel however far out and see Electron B? Thus the transmission of that information moves faster than the speed of light. But again, it is useless information and therefore, ultimately irrelevant.
    Random comment. Cool.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Pasta and ice cream. OOOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Don't listen to her, you just eat whatever you want.
    Sounds... Nutritious.

*Scoffs Maltesers*

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    That'd take all the fun out of life by the added necessity of curing the human animal of all the sexual foibles that much things interesting.

I just wanted you to know, Good Luck, we're all counting on you.
    Surely you can't be serious.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dihan View Post
    Sounds... Nutritious.

*Scoffs Maltesers*
    Can I have one?

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Banned

The scissors scenario is interesting, but something (the spirit of Kepler, perhaps) keeps interjecting my train of thought with mutterings about speed and more importantly the "over TIME" part of the definition thereof, and other things (various organs of mine) are interjecting with discomfort and pain. In short, while I visualize the scissor blades going convex/parallel towards one another as they close, I can't articulate why.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Random comment. Cool.
    Nah, a biggest scientific debacle a page or so back. Check it out Fred! .
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    Nah, a biggest scientific debacle a page or so back. Check it out Fred! .
    Ah science!
    (Actually, I like science, but I've got an exam on the 10th June, so I don't really want to stretch my brain more than necessary)

I might have to check it out.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I have one?

Fiiiiine. *Throws a Malteser at you*

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dihan View Post

Fiiiiine. *Throws a Malteser at you*
    Hey, I'm not an animal at a zoo...
    *Glomps Malteser*

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Fred. Regarding your location, I've managed to convince the people on my TF2 primary server that I hail from a place called Crazytown, population me. The laws are strictly abided by the only citizen (me) and the only member of the imperial senate (me) who established the laws in the first place. We have a trade embargo with Funkytown and I'm sure the Funkytownspeople would not hesitate to aid us in our cause to remove those two extra exclamation marks from your location.

Thank you,
    Imperial Senator Phase