Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Odd Regional Phases and Expressions

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Daps - plimsolls
    I think we might need to go a level deeper for that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, in typical US crassness, I've never heard the word "plimsolls" before. Evidently they're some kind of shoe?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    A few of those are word for word translations of french expressions (or actual french words like couillon and enmerdeur), no idea what's with the car and plates ones though. We have sort of the reverse over here with a few badly translated english expressions or terms.
    Enmerdeur is the right spelling! I'd never been able to find a noun form of it. The way it's pronounced in my city's dialect is /ɑ̃.mæ.'dəd/, which is non-standard. I have French native speakers who can't identify the word when I say it.

I've never found an explanation for "save the x," but "get down" is supposed to be a relic from when nowhere in the area was accessible except by horse.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    Enmerdeur is the right spelling!
    Apparently it's emmerdeur weirdly enough... But yeah it's much clearer when it's written down then when it's spoken I would imagine
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Yeah, in typical US crassness, I've never heard the word "plimsolls" before. Evidently they're some kind of shoe?
    Cheap canvas upper and rubber soled athletic shoe, typically worn for indoor sports in primary school (elementary school in the US).

Spoiler: plimsolls
    Show
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-01-10 at 04:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

So "solls" from "soles"? What would "plimm" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    "Save the plates" sounds like it's referring to saving disposable plates for reuse? Maybe it was and got co-opted into the main usage.

"Get down" out of a car might be a carry-over from horses and carriages, where you'd actually need to get down off of it?

Interesting, to say the least.
    The equivalent of "Get down" is still used in Italian and French (scendere dalla macchina, descendre d'une voiture). Probably because cars and trains are above ground level.

No idea about "save the plates", though.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2018-01-10 at 06:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

No, plimsolls are named after some fancied resemblance to the plimsoll lines on ships.
    The plimsoll lines on ships are named after British MP Samuel Plimsoll.
    If Wikipedia is to be believed.

8. - Top - End - #68

Cool, I had no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    But how do you know you got the most out of it? There might be more in there if only you had more familiarity with the work of John Nettles!
    Imean, you're not at all wrong. I'm just not going to do homework in order to enjoy a movie.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Hella", being a version of "Hell of", meaning "very" or "many", and until then I never noticed my common use of the term.
    Can confirm this is something us in Norcal is known for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So for instance "the mountain is out" to mean a clear day was common when I was a kid but is becoming less so over time.
    San Francisco has kinda the opposite, with Karl the Fog. So if you see Karl, he's just popping in to block out the sun. I wonder, how many people in Oregon now say 'Hella', however?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Show
    The hell is that? It kinda looks like a Keds, but not quite. Do kids just not wear sneakers in other parts of the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    The hell is that? It kinda looks like a Keds, but not quite. Do kids just not wear sneakers in other parts of the world?
    I've actually been told that's a pretty American thing, and a lot of other parts of the world regard sneakers as pretty much exclusively gym clothes.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heh... Does it count it is in another language?

Because in Brazil we have things like "Peel the pineapple" for "doing a difficult/complicated task" and "Travel through the mayonnaise" which means something like "have such an incorrect/nonsensical/idiotic view or idea that it borders on insanity or extreme stupidity".

I particularly like "house of mother Joana", which refers to a very disorganized place or situation... This has comes from a noblewoman who lived in Brazil in the 17th or 18th century and often had feasts in her house for the poor... Add a dash of bigotry and elitism and we have "places with lots of poor people = chaos".
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-01-13 at 06:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Cheap canvas upper and rubber soled athletic shoe, typically worn for indoor sports in primary school (elementary school in the US).

Show
    I'd probably call those "slip-ons." So what are they worn for? They look like they'd have about as much cushioning and support as Chuck Taylors, (not much at all,) though I'm told that classic Chucks were the first specific basketball shoe ever designed.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    I've actually been told that's a pretty American thing, and a lot of other parts of the world regard sneakers as pretty much exclusively gym clothes.
    Actually that explains a lot about how sneakers are designed. With their white finishes and padding, most sneakers weather pretty poorly when worn outside. Step in one puddle, and they're ruined. Even in America, if you play basketball on an indoor court, playing in the same shoes you wore outside is generally frowned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Heh... Does it count it is in another language?
    Hey, I'd count it if you would. "Peeling the pineapple," that's a fun one.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually that explains a lot about how sneakers are designed. With their white finishes and padding, most sneakers weather pretty poorly when worn outside. Step in one puddle, and they're ruined. Even in America, if you play basketball on an indoor court, playing in the same shoes you wore outside is generally frowned on.
    They're about the only sort of supportive shoe you can find for women though, unless you want to spend $$$ for the fancy ones.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

They're about the only sort of supportive shoe you can find for women though, unless you want to spend $$$ for the fancy ones.
    Though that really is par for the course for women's footware. I've always preferred to wear boots, they're supportive enough for me, though maybe not for everyone. Plus, not everyone's into the style.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Around here we have "Er no" which is us just saying "or no" really fast, "Hey dere" (similar) and "ya". We are a very German section of America.

Also, its called a bubbler not a water fountain. Water Fountains are in parks, though drinking fountain is acceptable.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-01-20 at 12:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Though that really is par for the course for women's footware. I've always preferred to wear boots, they're supportive enough for me, though maybe not for everyone. Plus, not everyone's into the style.
    My problem is that, with a wide foot, boots that fit me and are made of anything that would last are running $200+. I can't afford to spend that.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Around here we have "Er no" which is us just saying "or no" really fast, "Hey dere" (similar) and "ya". We are a very German section of America.

Also, its called a bubbler not a water fountain. Water Fountains are in parks, though drinking fountain is acceptable.
    Even though I live in an area where we normally call them "drinking fountains," we use "bubbler" in a specific instance-- The Benson Bubblers! In case you're not familar, let me tell you about an anecdote from Portland's history.

Simon Benson was a fairly successful business man back in 1912, though as a teetotaler he was bothered by the fact that his employees would hit up local saloons during their lunch breaks. So he donated money to the city in order to purchase 20 bronze drinking fountains, which were named "Benson Bubblers" in his name.

My problem is that, with a wide foot, boots that fit me and are made of anything that would last are running $200+. I can't afford to spend that.
    Ah, yeah. Wide feet does sort of limit your options. I'll admit that I got really lucky with a pair of boots I bought for $60.00 in 2001. I've had them patched up, re-soled and re-heeled. They're ugly and beat-up but I still have them.

19. - Top - End - #79

I'd probably call those "slip-ons." So what are they worn for? They look like they'd have about as much cushioning and support as Chuck Taylors, (not much at all,) though I'm told that classic Chucks were the first specific basketball shoe ever designed.
    It's worn here as part of school uniform, basically. Even schools without uniform would still expect their students to use thoes kind of shoes indoors, I think.

I used to have one, and I used it out of school for walking around and such because it's really comfy for me. I mean, the one I had was made from breathable comfortable stretchy fabric, it's like wearing a pair of clouds
    Last edited by Fri; 2018-01-20 at 04:04 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

As Fri and I mentioned earlier, they're normally worn indoors at primary schools, either as part of a uniform or for indoor sports.

Have you considered safety work boots? I find them perfectly fine, although there's normally plenty of space for a cushioned liner and if you cover them with a silicone protective spray before their first use, they last a few years and not too expensive to replace (they typically run to about £40 over here when not on sale).

The only real issue I find is that I have to remember to take them off whenever I'm passing through metal detectors in security zones.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-01-20 at 06:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you considered safety work boots? I find them perfectly fine, although there's normally plenty of space for a cushioned liner and if you cover them with a silicone protective spray before their first use, they last a few years and not too expensive to replace (they typically run to about £40 over here when not on sale).

The only real issue I find is that I have to remember to take them off whenever I'm passing through metal detectors in security zones.
    Eh, sneakers are pretty normal casual wear over here. The problem is something I could actually wear to work for those of us who have some form of business casual expectation. There basically isn't any sort of dress shoe I've found that isn't hugely uncomfortable, is actually affordable, and doesn't take a few months of looking to find.

22. - Top - End - #82

They don't bubble.

Also, one state doesn't get to call the shots on water fountain nomenclature.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

They don't bubble.

Also, one state doesn't get to call the shots on water fountain nomenclature.
    Maybe yours don't
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

24. - Top - End - #84

Maybe yours don't
    Imean, maybe if there's no water pressure and you have to put your mouth on it to get any water. In which case, I sure won't be using it.

I want a visual of your bubbler bubbling.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Maybe yours don't
    Sorry, but calling it a bubbler is wrong. If your fountains have lots of bubbles, then your fountains are bad and should feel bad. If they don't, you have no excuse for being wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Sorry, but calling it a bubbler is wrong. If your fountains have lots of bubbles, then your fountains are bad and should feel bad. If they don't, you have no excuse for being wrong.
    Imean, lets be fair here, some things have odd names. I'd have no problem with "bubbler" if everyone called it that. But it's only a very specific regional area that does it, and that's weird.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Imean, lets be fair here, some things have odd names. I'd have no problem with "bubbler" if everyone called it that. But it's only a very specific regional area that does it, and that's weird.
    Its not just weird, its wrong! WRONG I SAY!

But not like, wrong enough to start a war over or anything. Just regular wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #88

Its not just weird, its wrong! WRONG I SAY!
    Ya know what, you're right! I am fully invested in joining you on this crusade! WE SHALL BATHE IN THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEM-
    But not like, wrong enough to start a war over or anything. Just regular wrong.
    ...oh. Guess I'll put away my torch and pitchfork. I guess.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imean, maybe if there's no water pressure and you have to put your mouth on it to get any water. In which case, I sure won't be using it.

I want a visual of your bubbler bubbling.
    I don't know about actual bubbles, but the Benson Bubblers do tend to have their water in somewhat of a bubble shape due to it coming out of the center rather than in an arc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benson...sonBubbler.jpg

Of course us Portlanders don't call the rest of our water fountains bubblers, just those specific ones. As a kid, I always assumed the name was due to the water shape, but really, as a kid I also assumed that women changed their birthdays to match their husband's when they got married, so I was kind of bad at making sense of the world.

Eh, sneakers are pretty normal casual wear over here. The problem is something I could actually wear to work for those of us who have some form of business casual expectation. There basically isn't any sort of dress shoe I've found that isn't hugely uncomfortable, is actually affordable, and doesn't take a few months of looking to find.
    Back when I used to need to wear dressier shoes, I found some good comfortable ones from SAS that came in wide widths and would fit my orthotics. Sure, I was about the only one under the age of 70 wearing them, but they were dressy-looking enough that they carried me through jobs where I needed to look like I knew I was supposed to be wearing dress shoes. I remember them being kind of pricey but the kind of thing that the local shoe store would run coupons/sales for if you kept an eye out. (I don't remember how pricey, but my previous standard was to buy really cheap shoes from Payless, so anything over $20 would have seemed expensive at the time. Maybe $60-$100?)

I now wear a really nice pair of hiking boots all the time, and have a boss who doesn't care about a dress code at work (she didn't find out it was for medical reasons rather general choice until I'd been working there about 6 months). I bought two pairs of them about 5-6 years ago and just get them re-soled as needed every year or two. I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in years. That doesn't help at all if you don't have $300-ish to spend upfront, a boss with an expansive idea of work-appropriate clothes, and the time to break in a new pair of hiking boots, though. (Living in the PNW helps with the "boss" one. We don't really do formal office wear in this part of the country for the most part.)
    Last edited by Algeh; 2018-01-20 at 02:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I realized that while "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" was a fun movie, as a New Yorker I really got a kick out of hearing all the accents and phrases I grew up with.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett