New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars 1313

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Star Wars 1313

It's an upcomming Star Wars game that is expected to be released roughly at the time of the new Xbox at the end of 2012, and so far has been presented on a very powerful PC on E3 in June. And the graphics look really amazing. What I assumed to be prerendered CGI cutscenes of current standard quality, was actually in-game graphics, which is quite impressive.

It's apparently about two bounty hunters on Corruscant going down to level 1313, one thousand levels below the "surface" or roofs of the planet-spanning city. Some people coplained that it doesn't look or feel like Star Wars at all, but I think it actually does quite a lot. It's just a part of Star Wars that rarely has been shown in a visual medium so far. If you are familiar with Black Sun, Nar Shaddar, Kessel, and such, I really think it fits right in.
    So far, I don't know what to make of it. Lots of people describe it as Star Wars Uncharted, but I never played those games. Interesting concept from what I can tell, but so was Force Unleashed, which was a total dud. And you have to be careful about any game that is marketed as "mature", which usually means "immature obsession with gore and boobies".

Edit: A yes, you might be interested in seeing the trailers in question.
    Trailer
    Demo
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-08-15 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Star Wars 1313

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    It's an upcomming Star Wars game that is expected to be released roughly at the time of the new Xbox at the end of 2012, and so far has been presented on a very powerful PC on E3 in June.
    ...There is no new Xbox. They may be redoing the UI for the 360 (again), but the only new system coming out this year is the Wii U.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-08-15 at 06:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...There is no new Xbox. They may be redoing the UI for the 360 (again), but the only new system coming out this year is the Wii U.
    Actually there are rumors, patents, and potential design docs that the next Xbox is rolling out sooner than expected as part of the metro/win8 family.

As for the game, this can likely end up good (Republic Commando) or silly silly bad (and the IP has a back-catalog of these). Speaking of which, there's a rumored RC2 on the horizon too in early dev.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I know it's Star Wars, but do you really expect me to believe that a fairly normal human can survive being knocked back a good 20 feet and get up again like that? "Something's not right here" indeed. And then the jumps... are these Jedi in disguise?

I only have a few minutes of video to go on and already I find myself stretching to suspend my disbelief.

That said, the graphics are impressive, and in-engine (if not in-game; I reserve that for interactive bits) cutscenes are the best kind of cutscenes.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-08-15 at 06:48 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    As for the game, this can likely end up good (Republic Commando) or silly silly bad (and the IP has a back-catalog of these). Speaking of which, there's a rumored RC2 on the horizon too in early dev.
    You sure it wasn't people picking up bits about this and connecting dots the wrong way?

Cautiously optimistic. It has potential, but I'm not sure what was gameplay and what was cutscene with HUD there. Also, yeah, "mature" makes me kind of wary. It could be they're going to take a closer look at the seedy underbelly of Star Wars (What a spice addiction actually looks like, a closer look at the galactic slave trade, less tiptoeing around some of the things twi'lek dancers have to do). Or it could just be a gore fest (or close combat is to brutal for a T rating). Done right, the former could be a pretty good deconstruction of some things we take for granted in the star wars universe (Han Solo was, after all, a drug smuggler, and a lot of games use Hutt Dancing Girls without thinking about what that job means), but on the other hand... It could just be yet another Third Person Shooter in a dark and "gritty" futuristic world.

On the mechanics: I don't know what FPS and TPS have been like, lately, so I can't comment on whether any of these things are new or not. That being said, I like the distinction between less accurate snap shots from Cover and taking the time to aim, but being more exposed. And... There wasn't that much to see. Was the third part of the demo a scripted sequence, or will it actually have platforming elements?
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-08-15 at 08:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I know it's Star Wars, but do you really expect me to believe that a fairly normal human can survive being knocked back a good 20 feet and get up again like that? "Something's not right here" indeed. And then the jumps... are these Jedi in disguise?
    Hopefully not, Star Wars games (and Star Wars in general) tend to focus too much on the Jedi and the Light/Dark sides of the Force. That's part of what made RC a great game. As for the 20ft knockback, *shrug* might be unrealistic but since when has SW been about hard physics.

I'm with Squark in having some cautious optimism for this game. SW games have always been a hit or miss but this one has potential to do something right. That being said I would not be at all surprised if the plot ends up revolving around some sort of super weapon or rogue Jedi/Sith conspiracy.

The possibility of RC2? Yes please. Now if we can just get X-Wing Alliance 2.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farix View Post
    Hopefully not, Star Wars games (and Star Wars in general) tend to focus too much on the Jedi and the Light/Dark sides of the Force. That's part of what made RC a great game. As for the 20ft knockback, *shrug* might be unrealistic but since when has SW been about hard physics.
    In american action games, ordinary real wrld humans can survice being thrown through the air by an explosion without a scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I've seen "christmas 2013" for the Xbox and "somewhere in 2013" for 1313. To me, this yells "launch title".
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-08-16 at 06:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Now if we can just get X-Wing Alliance 2.
    TIE Fighter 2 would be better. XWA had the best engine out of the flight games (sans them not modelling the MissileBoat's SLAM and nerfing the T/A and T/D..), and more modern graphics, but TIE was just better in all other aspects. (Especially music and quotable quotes...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-16 at 08:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking of saying just that, but didn't.

But I completely agree. I even would be happy with a Tie Fighter remake based on the FreeSpace engine with new audio recordings and CGI cutscenes.
    Though I wonder how you would do those. Can't really have a space sim with modern quality cutscenes in which the player character doesn't appear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    TIE Fighter 2 would be better. XWA had the best engine out of the flight games (sans them not modelling the MissileBoat's SLAM and nerfing the T/A and T/D..), and more modern graphics, but TIE was just better in all other aspects. (Especially music and quotable quotes...)
    Bring back either. I'd love a new Star Wars flight game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So new dev commentary type video is out and it seems as though they're pushing the ambiguity and shadyness of the SW universe idea. Watching it I keep getting the same vibe I got from all the Force Unleashed hype, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since TFU was a good concept marred by some gameplay flaws and a sequel. Nothing new in term of info aside from some general "gonna be darker, tense, and will explore the underbelly of Coruscant" commentary.

Anyone know what time period this is supposed to be set in?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Bring back either. I'd love a new Star Wars flight game.
    How about a Rogue Squadron Trilogy HD release while we're at it?
    Just... you know... without the hoverbike and foot sections of 3.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, the first two and maybe three or four missions of the third.

And the co-op and multiplayer modes, which had potential.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

My brother and I played almost all star wars games for about 10 years. And Rogue Squadron was the only disappointment.

If you want a flight game, Tie Fighter with the updated FreeSpace engine.

I'd also like a new Jedi Knight. Force Unleashed was a huge disappointment.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-08-25 at 09:59 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I loved the first Rogue Squadron and, being a PC player, missed the second and third games. So I'd buy something like that withour hesitation.
    Wait, what signature?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

People keep unveiling these games which makes me say:
    "All right, no more graphics innovations, we don't need them anymore."
    Between this, that Final Fantasy Tech Demo from a few months ago and the ENB graphics for Skyrim I think we're done.

Anyway, the game looks good, but I'm not sure how the gameplay is going to be, it looks to me like "another third person cover based shooter". Which could put people off.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    People keep unveiling these games which makes me say:
    "All right, no more graphics innovations, we don't need them anymore."
    Between this, that Final Fantasy Tech Demo from a few months ago and the ENB graphics for Skyrim I think we're done.
    I reached that point quite a while ago, myself. Games have, for some time now, been "good enough" graphically, at the point that where it's not really necessary to concentrate on graphics to the exclusion of everything else as the selling point.

Digital acting, maybe (like Mass Effect or something), yes, I can get behind; but then again, the ME series haven't exactly been graphical power-houses in terms of requirements (and that's a good thing; ME 3 is well into "good enough" territory.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-27 at 12:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

We need to show these developers and publishers that we don't need better graphics
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

As regards a Star wars flight game, how about X-Wing Rogue Squadron vs. TIE Fighter 181st Wing- including the ability to play some missions for both the empire and the Rebel Alliance/New Republic (Brentaal springs readily to mind, as do Adumar and Derra IV, maybe even Coruscant).

I'd also quite like some of the fighters from the EU to be in there, like the E-Wing, the K-Wing and the I-7 Howlrunner- maybe a few designs of Uglies as well...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

20. - Top - End - #20

Anyone know what time period this is supposed to be set in?
    One of the developers, in a recent dev diary trailer says "1313 is the sort of world where these crime families can exist and definitely thrive under the Empire"
    Assuming that wasn't a slip up, that puts it in somewhere in the the time-frame of the original trilogy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    One of the developers, in a recent dev diary trailer says "1313 is the sort of world where these crime families can exist and definitely thrive under the Empire"
    Assuming that wasn't a slip up, that puts it in somewhere in the the time-frame of the original trilogy
    Technically, post- RotS pre-RotJ

22. - Top - End - #22

Didn't the empire still exist post RotJ? albeit in a reduced fashion

but yea, my guess is guess is post RotS but pre A New Hope
    Last edited by Parra; 2012-08-29 at 05:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    Didn't the empire still exist post RotJ? albeit in a reduced fashion

but yea, my guess is guess is post RotS but pre A New Hope
    YEah, but it's glory days were behind it, so I suspect that's not the empire they're talking about.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Technically, post- RotS pre-RotJ
    I'd say post-RotS, pre- 7ABY (being the year that the New Republic captured Coruscant- the first time- if I recall correctly)

As somebody who knows the EU a little, whilst there were changes in the empire post-Endor, most of them wouldn't have made much difference to the average sentient on the street under Pestage/Carvin/Isard.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ehh, not surprised that it looks to be set between trilogies. I figure its the least tapped time period in terms of EU material that they might have to work around/with.

I would like to see it centered around the aftermath of the New Republic's conquest of Coruscant, would have brought in the potential for conflict between the established crime syndicates and the new government as the old relationship dynamic between the Empire and the underworld gets replaced. Also you've got the Krytos Virus (Empire engineered virus which only targets non-humans) running rampant at that point.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    He got up slowly, it seems perfectly normal. I could do that.

The jumps...well have you seen parkour?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm...cautious towards this game. I've been burned by these things before (see: TFU2).

A new Rogue Squadron game? Yes. Yes. Yesyesyesyesyesyes! Do this Lucas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    I'm...cautious towards this game. I've been burned by these things before (see: TFU2).

A new Rogue Squadron game? Yes. Yes. Yesyesyesyesyesyes! Do this Lucas!
    So we all agree it looks good and we all praying, don'tscrewitupdon'tscrewipup.
    My extended signature.

29. - Top - End - #29

yea pretty much

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    He got up slowly, it seems perfectly normal. I could do that.

The jumps...well have you seen parkour?
    Still, you can't throw an Ewok in the EU without hitting a force sensitive.
    Spoiler
    Show