New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I'd basically agree with Chronos. Had the HPoH attacked Roy, I'd count surviving as "winning" for Roy, but since it was Roy that attacked, it wasn't a win for him.

In most cases, causing an opponent to flee should count as a win as well, but it doesn't apply in this case because the HPoH was planning on leaving anyway.
    Delaying the clear ability to prevent a fight, with the explicitly stated intent to "knock Roy off the board" in case he had to leave, undercuts both your points.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

the HPoH was planning on leaving anyway.
    The HPoH didn't leave the Godsmoot. Only the fHPoH did.

That being said, how do you figure? The mission of altering the vote of that council of dwarves could very well have been handled without him.
    It's not easy to guess if his preference would have been to remain HPoH and Hel's representative in the Godsmoot or to be in direct control of operation: vampirizing old dwarves.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do we need to pick up the discussion of the next thread title while we still have one last page to do it? Or are we just going to defer to our dear thread curator to cull some sort of pseudo-consensus from the vague discussion we had?

My personal feeling is that no one has yet proposed a title that all that many people are all that excited about but perhaps I'm just projecting.

EDIT: fixed embarrassing jetlagged mixup over identity of thread curator.
    Last edited by Ephemera; 2016-03-10 at 06:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Firbolg in the Playground

Class and Level Geekery XIV - Arrowing Doubt

Because I keep seeing discussion about Tarquin stopping arrows.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Dwarf in the Playground

Class and Level Geekery XIV - We are the Geek Phanteon?

Based in the missing Greek phanteon from the story (pun based)

6. - Top - End - #1446

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Or are we just going to defer to our banana overlord to cull some sort of pseudo-consensus from the vague discussion we had?
    If I'm not mixing things up, Current Galain is the kurald curator of this thread.

Wait...

I'm still proposing: Class and Level Geekery XIV - Something Doesn't Add Up

But I kinda like the Geek/Greek pun even if I think it could be of better use.
    Last edited by Quild; 2016-03-10 at 08:03 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not just "Class and Level Geekery XIV: The Missing Geek Pantheon"

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

If we're doing that joke, I'd go for simplicity and call it "The Geek Pantheon".
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Barbarian in the Playground

Class and Level Geekery XIV: Notes Made in the Margins

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I'm still proposing: Class and Level Geekery XIV - Something Doesn't Add Up
    I think I'll throw my support behind this one. "Geek pantheon" seems like a bridge too far for a joke to me.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I think I agree with Zimmerwald there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Class and Level Geekery XIV - Arrowing Doubt

Because I keep seeing discussion about Tarquin stopping arrows.
    I'll second this one!

13. - Top - End - #1453

BardGuy

I'm going for 'Something Doesn't Add Up' also.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

14. - Top - End - #1454

ElfWarriorGuy

I'd like to vote for the Arrowing one, but I'd honestly be happier avoiding sparking round 7 or whatever of that discussion. So I won't.

Instead, I'll vote for:

"Something Doesn't Add Up"
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In most cases, causing an opponent to flee should count as a win as well, but it doesn't apply in this case because the HPoH was planning on leaving anyway.
    Really? I thought that he was planning on staying the whole vote, since the one demigod promised Hel her support. The reneging of that support changed the plan. The battle began before the reneging.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

Given how the plot is going, I think it's a good idea to restore the "Durkon" entry in the OOTS section to refer only to our favorite dwarf, and create a new entry in the villains section for the vampire. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder how much we actually know about the vamp, though. I believe the comic mentions he has Durkon's level (that was the point, after all) and obviously he's taken (most of) his gear, but what about stats? Feats? Do we have any facts on those?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Given how the plot is going, I think it's a good idea to restore the "Durkon" entry in the OOTS section to refer only to our favorite dwarf, and create a new entry in the villains section for the vampire. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder how much we actually know about the vamp, though. I believe the comic mentions he has Durkon's level (that was the point, after all) and obviously he's taken (most of) his gear, but what about stats? Feats? Do we have any facts on those?
    I completely support that decision. I'm not going to comment on the second thing because I can't remember off the top of my head, and I have a huge academic deadline for tomorrow so I'm not going to take the time to look it up.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post

The only thing the vampire spirit does mechanically is apply the vampire template to the character whose body it's piloting. I suppose you could create an entry that just says that, but Durkon would still have the vampire template and all his class levels, items, skill points, and feats, so it strikes me as rather pointless.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's obvious, but Lien's ring of waterbreathing now has a main comic page to link to, rather than a reference to bonus material in one of the books, and O-Chul now has some kind of protective cloak that also provides weather protection. Any ideas about what the cloak is likely to be?

20. - Top - End - #1460

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post
    It's obvious, but Lien's ring of waterbreathing now has a main comic page to link to, rather than a reference to bonus material in one of the books, and O-Chul now has some kind of protective cloak that also provides weather protection. Any ideas about what the cloak is likely to be?
    Regarding Lien's ring, I believe that we only link the first moment we learn about some characters having or having lost an item.
    I, for one, am perfectly fine with a reference to bonus material.
    Last edited by Quild; 2016-04-13 at 03:32 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

21. - Top - End - #1461

Regarding Lien's ring, I believe that we only link the first moment we learn about some characters having or having lost an item.
    Any particular reason not to include an "also shown here" link or something similar?

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    Any particular reason not to include an "also shown here" link or something similar?
    Because enforcing arbitrary rules is the entire point of this thread?

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I thought the rule was that references in the online comic were prefered to references to offline material or forum quotes?

Well, for some value of "we". Not everyone has access to the bonus material, so for some people, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1031.html was the first time they learned of the ring...

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. Sabine's Strength score.

No, I'm not here to discuss her loads while flying again (sort of).

What I'm here to discuss is her ability to carry Thog and Nale with an Overland Speed. The trio plans to have Sabine fly them to go "Shopping" after leaving the Azure City jail cells. Now, I'd contend that she is clearly not using the Lifting or Dragging rules. Thus, Nale and Thog should be within her maximum load. Nale is listed as 180 lbs on his wanted poster, and Thog has a minimum weight of 154 lbs being a half orc. 334 lbs of total weight pegs her minimum Str at 19. Link for 19 Strength.

Also, I'll throw my vote in for Something Doesn't Add Up as the next thread title.

25. - Top - End - #1465

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    Redundancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Well, for some value of "we". Not everyone has access to the bonus material, so for some people, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1031.html was the first time they learned of the ring...
    So what?
    If someone comes here to say that he noticed that a ring of waterbreathing should be added to Lien's equipment because of #1033, he'll know that it was already mentionned in bonus material of DSTP (in a nice underwater adventure that is something like 14 pages long and foreshadows events that comes later! Dun dun duuuun)

If someones reads Lien's entry and see that she has a ring of Waterbreathing mentionned in DSTP and has in mind that it was also mentionned in #1033... I hardly see the trouble for him.

Techwarrior: Sabine carrying Thog and Nale has been ignored because it requires an impressive amount of strength not to be slowed down. Now, ignoring those rules, we could go with a 19+. It's assumed she has more.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Class and Level Geekery XIV - Apocryphal, but your demigod doesn't have to know about it
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Techwarrior: Sabine carrying Thog and Nale has been ignored because it requires an impressive amount of strength not to be slowed down. Now, ignoring those rules, we could go with a 19+. It's assumed she has more.
    I'm aware of the "must have light load to fly" debate, and why we're ignoring it. I've been the one that brings the debate up many a time.

I'm specifically not talking about that though, though that might be a good idea for an addition to the FAQ.

All I'm looking for is to get the 19+ Strength score for Sabine. Unless we can come up with a reason otherwise, the linked comic definitely showcases her having that at minimum from her carrying Nale and Thog without using Lifting and Dragging.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Class and Level Geekery XIV - Because Enforcing Arbitrary Rules Is the Entire Point of this Thread

For reals, though, I support We Are the Geek Phanteon and Something Doesn't Add Up
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-04-22 at 10:33 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #1469

It's surprising that O'Chul does not have a mount.
    He already had 3 levels of Paladin in #545 (except if Redcloak is assuming wrongly that O'Chul is immune to fear).

It would mean that the fight against Xykon and that little trip to the pole did not gave him a chance to get two levels. I hope he's still high level enough to be useful...

Either that or you don't automatically get a mount in ootsverse by reaching fifht level of Paladin. Maybe you need some ritual to bound with a creature first?

Also, O'Chul gained xp during Xykon's little games, it could mean that he got his third level while being "tortured". Must have pissed Redcloak out.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Its possible he's multi-classed out of Paladin and thus can't go back and gain more levels.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!