New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Is OOTS even trying anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Demonking View Post
    Her normal job is not to chose what part of the ship necessary for running it not to fix. The panel after her rant does show Bandi giving the orders she should have gave before, but it also show Andi trying not to hit Bandi with a wrench (the panel after that is her failing. After that regreting. After that assesing. After that captaining).
    She's the head engineer. Her normal job includes making some executive decisions about engineering, just like the pilot's job includes not hitting mountains even when he's not being told to.

"Under the circumstances? More or less value neutral. "

Good that's part of a big difference of opinion. So what part of the circumstances made Bandanas's verbal assault that lead to her getting auto-wrenched value neutral?
    That Andi literally insulted her just before that, calling Bandana not a real captain because Andi's job isn't getting done? Seems pretty yell worthy, especially when Andi's been doing this kinda thing for awhile.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

If you were in a situation where there were many broken machines. Too many broken machines to fix them all. Indeed in your professional opinion too many necessary broken machines to save the day, unless your captain has a good plan. You would simply down with the machines fixing random - or even best judgment - machines rather than going up and telling your captain the situation and discussing/getting orders of what to do? Bearing in mind that in your professional judgment staying down and fixing the most obvious equals death for everybody?
    I mean, yeah? 299 broken machines is a whole lot better then 300 broken machines after all. Lets not forget that Andi could have easily sent somebody else to inform the captain "Yo everything is broken, we're working on it but if you have a plan tell us now." While Andi herself (and presumably, any other engineers she has under her) focus on actually doing their jobs. instead Andi elected to not do anything at all and just complain about it.

Back when i was a dishwasher I’d often face this. I’d be hit with too many dishes for me to clean without risk of having piles of dirty dishes collapse onto the floor from their own weight. So i kept cleaning, i cleaned as many as i possibly could as long as i could. The next time someone who worked in the kitchen with me dropped off dishes, I’d ask them to tell the manager that i needed some help. The manager was on the opposite side of the kitchen, and i couldn't stop cleaning without everything getting backed up.

So the other person (who was going at least halfway to the other side of the kitchen anyways) tells the manager that i need help, and the manager finds someone who isn't doing something urgent (like say, someone stocking the freezer with breadsticks) and sends them off to help me by taking dishes I’ve already cleaned and putting them away. it's a small job that's simple to do, but it's necessary, and allows me to focus solely on washing and less on putting away.

Hell, the guy who makes costumes doesn't seem to do much else. if Andi thought there was too much work for her to do, then Bandana could have sent in Costume-guy to do something simple but necessary, such as transport tools, grab spare parts from storage, or even going around and visually identifying problems on the various machines and reporting them to someone who can figure out what's easiest to fix.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    Double standards are really pernicious.

See, there's this thing people do when, in a conflict, they prefer one side over another. They hold the side they don't like to absolutely perfect standards. They go on and on about every flaw they can, about how this or that was suboptimal, or caustic, or rude, or provocative, or whatever. They make sure you know and are confronted with every single possible flaw they can bring to bear.

But when it comes to the side they like, suddenly flaws can be forgiven. There was extenuating circumstances, or they were only human, or they just didn't understand, or it was an accident, or whatever.

Now, was briefly yelling at Andi the best thing to do? Probably not. It was not especially bad, however, except insofar as Andi can be violently unreasonable, leading to the mutiny. And frankly? That's on Andi.
    Hand on heart. You are going to die. You have seen people die. The person leading you to your death decided to get in your space to scream at you. (Apparently its not Bandi or the Frost Giants that are why you're going to die, its because you lack the proper chirpiness) You can say with 100% certainty that you don't lash out once with your dominant hand? 100%?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder if "auto-wrenched" means anything other than "viciously assaulted by someone who I will never acknowledge did anything wrong." It's such a weird word, even on its own before I consider the situation it's being applied to.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    I mean, yeah? 299 broken machines is a whole lot better then 300 broken machines after all. Lets not forget that Andi could have easily sent somebody else to inform the captain "Yo everything is broken, we're working on it but if you have a plan tell us now." While Andi herself (and presumably, any other engineers she has under her) focus on actually doing their jobs. instead Andi elected to not do anything at all and just complain about it.

Back when i was a dishwasher I’d often face this. I’d be hit with too many dishes for me to clean without risk of having piles of dirty dishes collapse onto the floor from their own weight. So i kept cleaning, i cleaned as many as i possibly could as long as i could. The next time someone who worked in the kitchen with me dropped off dishes, I’d ask them to tell the manager that i needed some help. The manager was on the opposite side of the kitchen, and i couldn't stop cleaning without everything getting backed up.

So the other person (who was going at least halfway to the other side of the kitchen anyways) tells the manager that i need help, and the manager finds someone who isn't doing something urgent (like say, someone stocking the freezer with breadsticks) and sends them off to help me by taking dishes I’ve already cleaned and putting them away. it's a small job that's simple to do, but it's necessary, and allows me to focus solely on washing and less on putting away.

Hell, the guy who makes costumes doesn't seem to do much else. if Andi thought there was too much work for her to do, then Bandana could have sent in Costume-guy to do something simple but necessary, such as transport tools, grab spare parts from storage, or even going around and visually identifying problems on the various machines and reporting them to someone who can figure out what's easiest to fix.
    Bandana didn't send costume guy. Are you saying that Andi should have told the captain to send costume huy. Also have we seen anyone working under Andi? (I could be missing it) (Obvioisly she couldn't ask any of the frost giants that after hitting them with a boulder, if they wouldn't mind telling the captain that they were doing too much damage and she needed help.)

"She's the head engineer. Her normal job includes making some executive decisions about engineering, just like the pilot's job includes not hitting mountains even when he's not being told to. "

The pilot did keep on going towards the mountain until Andi explicitly told her what way to turn.

"That Andi literally insulted her just before that, calling Bandana not a real captain because Andi's job isn't getting done? Seems pretty yell worthy, especially when Andi's been doing this kinda thing for awhile. "

So you think that it is fine for a boss to get into an employee's face and scream at her after two insults. That's a big difference between us and not related to our readings of the comic, so I think we have solved the area of our disagreement and we ought to agree to disagree.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Refusing a direct order would be mutiny. We see her put her hand over her mouth immediately after her mouth immediately after her accidental/reflexive mutiny. It is only she (and the rest of the crew) has no choice and Bandana is seen to be unconscious that gets into her role as acting captain.

I agree that her first act would be to be stubborn refusal to do it and mutiny. But what makes you think that her third, fourth acts would be the same - thus turning hesitation into mutiny? After mutinying what do you think andi's actions would be? To openly go after Bandi with the wrench?
    To put it bluntly, yes, I think Andi's actions after repeated refusal would be to go after Bandana with the wrench. Andi had it fixed in her mind that Bandana was not competent to make critically important decisions, and that Bandana's perceived incompetence was leading them all to certain death. She was absolutely dead set on that interpretation of the situation, and no amount of words, argument, or assertion of authority was going to convince her otherwise.

If Andi were confronted with the rest of the crew seriously threatening to arrest her by force, that might have gotten her to go along with their demands. It would not have convinced her that she was wrong. I doubt anything less strong than the manifestly undeniable proof of her having gotten the Mechane physically stuck would have gotten through to her.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-06-17 at 04:07 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Bandana didn't send costume guy. Are you saying that Andi should have told the captain to send costume huy. Also have we seen anyone working under Andi? (I could be missing it) (Obvioisly she couldn't ask any of the frost giants that after hitting them with a boulder, if they wouldn't mind telling the captain that they were doing too much damage and she needed help.)
    I'm saying that if Andi had been doing her job and sent someone else to (quckly) tell Bandana about all the problems, then Bandana could have easily senty costume guy in to help as much as he could. and no i'm not sure if she has any other engineers working under her, but it seems silly to have a "Cheif" engineer without having other engineers. Either way, there were still other crewmen running this way and that that could have helped in some way. Heck, a good chunk of them were either just standing next to Banadana, or hiding below decks like the guy who passed roy a sword.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

So you think that it is fine for a boss to get into an employee's face and scream at her after two insults. That's a big difference between us and not related to our readings of the comic, so I think we have solved the area of our disagreement and we ought to agree to disagree.
    No, I think the area of disagreement is that pretty much everyone in this thread other than you thinks that there's a hell of a lot more than "two insults" leading up to the angry hyperbolic scream.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hand on heart. You are going to die. You have seen people die. The person leading you to your death decided to get in your space to scream at you. (Apparently its not Bandi or the Frost Giants that are why you're going to die, its because you lack the proper chirpiness) You can say with 100% certainty that you don't lash out once with your dominant hand? 100%?
    Hand on heart. You're going to die. You have seen people die. The person who could be fixing important equipment you really depend on has spent the past few minutes whining instead of doing her job. You can say with 100% certainty that you don't yell at her briefly? 100%?

This is exactly what I meant. You're holding Bandana to a perfect standard, and faulting her for falling short by a frankly minor amount. You hold Andi to the lightest standards possible, trying to dismiss criticism of an act that was dangerous, destructive, and stupid.

I find the Andi hatred on this board more than a little sanctimonious, but there is no doubt that what she did was flat out wrong.
    Last edited by crayzz; 2017-06-17 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'm saying that if Andi had been doing her job and sent someone else to (quckly) tell Bandana about all the problems, then Bandana could have easily senty costume guy in to help as much as he could. and no i'm not sure if she has any other engineers working under her, but it seems silly to have a "Cheif" engineer without having other engineers. Either way, there were still other crewmen running this way and that that could have helped in some way. Heck, a good chunk of them were either just standing next to Banadana, or hiding below decks like the guy who passed roy a sword.
    Standing next to Bandana as in on the deck - so she should go up next to Bandi to tell somebody to tell Bandi that they had taken too much damage? - or below? I'm not finding anything suggesting below.

Making someone cheif engineer based on being experiencve is such sensible business regardless of the existance of other engineers, and one point against their being any other engineer is Andi's notable possessiveness over the engine (which is bad of her).

It is possible that she ought to have requisitioned somebody doing another task to report to Bandi on her behalf from the begining. But I think it is reasonable that she didn't want the delay that such a thing would bring.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    Hand on heart. You're going to die. You have seen people die. The person who could be fixing important equipment you really depend on has spent the past few minutes whining instead of doing her job. You can say with 100% certainty that you don't yell at her briefly? 100%?

This is exactly what I meant. You're holding Bandana to a perfect standard, and faulting her for falling short by a frankly minor amount. You hold Andi to the lightest standards possible, trying to dismiss criticism of an act that was dangerous, destructive, and stupid.

I find the Andi hatred on this board more than a little sanctimonious, but there is no doubt that what she did was flat out wrong.
    I can 100% say that I'd tell her to go away rather than an angry rant. I don't have the breath for that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    No, I think the area of disagreement is that pretty much everyone in this thread other than you thinks that there's a hell of a lot more than "two insults" leading up to the angry hyperbolic scream.
    Super! So what are they?

To put it bluntly, yes, I think Andi's actions after repeated refusal would be to go after Bandana with the wrench. Andi had it fixed in her mind that Bandana was not competent to make critically important decisions, and that Bandana's perceived incompetence was leading them all to certain death. She was absolutely dead set on that interpretation of the situation, and no amount of words, argument, or assertion of authority was going to convince her otherwise.

If Andi were confronted with the rest of the crew seriously threatening to arrest her by force, that might have gotten her to go along with their demands. It would not have convinced her that she was wrong. I doubt anything less strong than the manifestly undeniable proof of her having gotten the Mechane physically stuck would have gotten through to her.
    Why is getting through to her so important? The comic shows her regreting her accidental/reflexive mutiny immediately, or at the very least showing shock at what she had done. Cinsidering that I don't think the comic suppoerts the idea that she would actively mutiny. Indeed after her accidental mutiny, once Bandi is free with the crew behind her - as in the situation before the a/r m mutiny save that Andi is now a guilty woman - she immediately surrenders. That also suggests that she would not have deliberately betrayed the ship by mutinying.

Howeverm, let us say she does mutiny. The crew tells her mutinying is bad. She unmutinies and goes down. Why is that so bad? Why not at least give her the opportunity to comply with orders by giving her orders to comply with?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I have to give Emperor Demonking some props for persistence.

Ah, this reminds me of the ancient times, when Our Lady Of Chaos reigned supreme. I salute thee.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

13. - Top - End - #193

Indeed. I would say the area of disagreement is as expansive as "whether all context that would point to Andi being in the wrong, which is all of it, should be swept under the rug and denied."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Indeed. I would say the area of disagreement is as expansive as "whether all context that would point to Andi being in the wrong, which is all of it, should be swept under the rug and denied."
    It is very possible that the context before the screaming would point to Andi being the bad guy, but then Bandi decided to abuse her power to scream and get in the face of an annoyance. Therefore the only proper question of the context is did Andi do it first? Regarless of how vague or snarky you want to be, Andi simply did not.

Ergo regardless of her two insults and general lack of deference she is not to blame for her captain screaming at her. Particularly, since her captain made no active effort to get Andi to leave and in fact consistently engaged with her.

And when you have seen people die are going to die yourself and the person to blame has chosen to scream in your face. One reflexive blow with your dominant is not an inhuman situation in such a stressful situation. A blow regretted\shocked immediately.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

We see her put her hand over her mouth immediately after her mouth immediately after her accidental/reflexive mutiny.
    So we've gone from "most people would decide to comit physical assault" to "physical assault is just a reflex". I mean, not that I expected anything less at this point, but it's still really funny.

I can 100% say that I'd tell her to go away rather than an angry rant. I don't have the breath for that anyway.
    "Can anyone of you honestly say 100% that you would not commit physical assault after getting yelled at? I mean, truly, would you not actually try to bash someone's brains in if given the chance? Can you actually say that you wouldn't use your dominant hand, your dominant hand mind you, to use a heavy tool to possibly split someone's head open? Can any of you truly say that?"

"I dunno, if someone was continously insulting you instead of doing their job, can you say 100% that you wouldn't raise your voice in frustration?"

"Oh yes, absolutely."

Again, not expecting anything else. Just really funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    So we've gone from "most people would decide to comit physical assault" to "physical assault is just a reflex". I mean, not that I expected anything less at this point, but it's still really funny.
    When did I make that first claim?

"Can anyone of you honestly say 100% that you would not commit physical assault after getting yelled at? I mean, truly, would you not actually try to bash someone's brains in if given the chance? Can you actually say that you wouldn't use your dominant hand, your dominant hand mind you, to use a heavy tool to possibly split someone's head open? Can any of you truly say that?"

"I dunno, if someone was continously insulting you instead of doing their job, can you say 100% that you wouldn't raise your voice in frustration?"

"Oh yes, absolutely."

Again, not expecting anything else. Just really funny.
    You're ignoring the corpses and frost giants. That's moronic. Your description of ther acts is obviously also ridiculous. (Bandi did not simply "raise her voice" and describing Andi as "trying to bash someone's brains in if given the chance" is absurd.)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Standing next to Bandana as in on the deck - so she should go up next to Bandi to tell somebody to tell Bandi that they had taken too much damage? - or below? I'm not finding anything suggesting below.
    If Andi is near Bandana: "Yo Bandi! Stuff's flupped! Need some help here!"

If andi is not near Bandana: "Yo! Someone! Stuff's Flupped! Tell the brat i need help down here!"

Talking is a free action, she could still and should have still been repairing stuff as she talked.

It is possible that she ought to have requisitioned somebody doing another task to report to Bandi on her behalf from the begining. But I think it is reasonable that she didn't want the delay that such a thing would bring.
    as opposed to the delay not doing anything productive at all would bring?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

Yeah, this is yet more stuff from a webcomic that isn't on this site. She did not want to "report" without "delay." She wanted to browbeat Bandana until she quit acting like she thought she was in charge and started following Andi's orders like a good subordinate. To all indications no one was making any effort to fix anything, though there were things that needed to be fixed, and the reason why no one was trying to make repairs was not that Andi was doing something more important, except in Andi's mind, in which the most important thing was, indeed and exactly, "Make that little brat respect mah authoritaah!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

If Andi is near Bandana: "Yo Bandi! Stuff's flupped! Need some help here!"

If andi is not near Bandana: "Yo! Someone! Stuff's Flupped! Tell the brat i need help down here!"
    Is that not suggesting that 'some help' would be sufficient when there's no reason to assume that's true? is that not essentially what Andi did "Bandana, we've got damage all over the ship! We need to turn it around' only without the dishonesty of suggesting that she only needed a little help.

Talking is a free action, she could still and should have still been repairing stuff as she talked.
    What was broken near her that she should have been repairing as she talked. Or are you refering to hoping somebody runs pass whatever she if repairing and grabbing their attention as they rush by and she continues to repair?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Yeah, this is yet more stuff from a webcomic that isn't on this site. She did not want to "report" without "delay." She wanted to browbeat Bandana until she quit acting like she thought she was in charge and started following Andi's orders like a good subordinate. To all indications no one was making any effort to fix anything, though there were things that needed to be fixed, and the reason why no one was trying to make repairs was not that Andi was doing something more important, except in Andi's mind, in which the most important thing was, indeed and exactly, "Make that little brat respect mah authoritaah!"
    What makes you think that she came up on deck to browbeat Bandi? In the second panel of 55 she is seen running to Bandi. Why do that if time isn't of the essense and that she intends to engage in a lengthy browbeating?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Is that not suggesting that 'some help' would be sufficient when there's no reason to assume that's true? is that not essentially what Andi did "Bandana, we've got damage all over the ship! We need to turn it around' only without the dishonesty of suggesting that she only needed a little help.
    Asking for "some help" would still be a hell of a lot better then doing nothing. If you're forced to eat ten thousand cookies, you're still going to make more progress by getting one guy to eat them with you then you are by eatting none at all.

What was broken near her that she should have been repairing as she talked. Or are you refering to hoping somebody runs pass whatever she if repairing and grabbing their attention as they rush by and she continues to repair?
    The engines she was complaining about, the propellers she was complaining about, the fuel she was complaining about...

And yeah? the only place people weren't at was on the main deck with the giants. shouldn't be too hard to get the attention of someone who's just hiding.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

So you think those justify screaming and getting into her face. I disagree.

Especially considering that some of that 'disrespect' is simply taking her fair credit for things that she had done, one was not when she (or indeed any of the crew) were in earshot, and the others were responded to with greater rudeness ("Simmer down", "knickers in a twist"; I'm aware that some take the view that the employer should treat the employees as he pleases, and it is the employee who needs to show all politeness. My view is that it is the powerful who ought to be held to greater accountability with how they treat disgruntled employees. If you disagree then say so, as that might be one off our key areas of disagreement.)

Edit:
    Asking for "some help" would still be a hell of a lot better then doing nothing. If you're forced to eat ten thousand cookies, you're still going to make more progress by getting one guy to eat them with you then you are by eatting none at all.
    If you are tasked with an impossible task and its impossible with two then pulling a comerade off something useful is far from being a gain. Or are you saying that Andi should have told Bandi to tell people doing mothing to do something useful? Are you think Andi was always the captain>

[quote]

The engines she was complaining about, the propellers she was complaining about, the fuel she was complaining about...[/quote[

None of those were on the deck which is the point you were making.

And yeah? the only place people weren't at was on the main deck with the giants. shouldn't be too hard to get the attention of someone who's just hiding.
    If they're hiding then you're relying on them hiding where she's repairing. Also, I don't think they were hiding when she chose to run on deck to tell Bandi the situation.
    Last edited by Emperor Demonking; 2017-06-17 at 05:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

So you think those justify screaming and getting into her face. I disagree.
    You're right, it doesn't justify yelling and getting into her face.

it's the fact that Andi was not doing her job, constantly yelling and complaining at Bandi, and actively preventing Bandi from doing HER job by forcing Bandi to put time and effort into dealing with Andi that justify shouting at her.

I'm aware that some take the view that the employer should treat the employees as he pleases, and it is the employee who needs to show all politeness. My view is that it is the powerful who ought to be held to greater accountability with how they treat disgruntled employees. If you disagree then say so, as that might be one off our key areas of disagreement.)
    If you will notice however, Bandanna never once shows disrespect or agression towards Andi unless treated with such disrespect or agression first. You're again right, the employer should not treat the employees as he pleases. If the employees step out of line and disrepest the employer however, then the employer has every right to punish them in turn. You wouldn't shout at your boss and call him an idiot when all he's doing is his job would you? Why not? Because you might get fired?

Well guess what Andi is doing...

Edit:

If you are tasked with an impossible task and its impossible with two then pulling a comerade off something useful is far from being a gain. Or are you saying that Andi should have told Bandi to tell people doing mothing to do something useful? Are you think Andi was always the captain>
    I'm saying Andi should have been doing her job. You'd be surprised what a little effort can get you. Even if your engine is getting broken every ten minutes, if you can fix it in five minutes, then congradulations, you have five minutes of moving forwards that you didn't have before.

None of those were on the deck which is the point you were making.
    Then Andi should not have been on deck which is also the point i am making. she SHOULD have been doing her job

If they're hiding then you're relying on them hiding where she's repairing. Also, I don't think they were hiding when she chose to run on deck to tell Bandi the situation.
    If you are in room A, and A is connected to B, and B connected to C, Will people in room C still hear you if you shout for them?

Awnser: Yes.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-06-17 at 06:01 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

We've been shown that Andi's been bearing a grudge against Bandana from actions Bandana committed when she was a nine year old child - it's not an ordinary case of disgruntlement we're dealing with here.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #206

No, what Andi did when she said "we need to turn it around!" was try to push Bandana out of her job--being the captain--and give an order which was, and has been proven, a catastrophically bad one. Attempting to frame it as "Employers should treat their employees with respect!" is a blatant power play; Andi treated Bandana with contempt and explicitly expressed contempt for her ever since she was put in charge, while Bandana even now has done nothing comparable back. No one is obligated to refrain from raising their voice when someone yells at them, "You stubborn little brat, why won't you ever just do what I tell you to do?!?"

"We've got damage all over the ship" was not something Bandana was unaware of. Nor was anything Andi said the whole time. She wasn't on the bridge to give Bandana vital information; she was there to browbeat Bandana into dealing with the giants in the (entirely stupid, suicidal, and globally suicidal) way Andi wanted to deal with them.
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-06-17 at 06:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm truly impressed by this level of dedication.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

You're right, it doesn't justify yelling and getting into her face.

it's the fact that Andi was not doing her job, constantly yelling and complaining at Bandi, and actively preventing Bandi from doing HER job by forcing Bandi to put time and effort into dealing with Andi that justify shouting at her.
    Then why post the "disrespect" if you don't think its relevant?

How did Andi "force" Bandi to not do her job. Was she in her face, leaning over her, screaming at her in order to activate fight or flight( the looming ove her as rantedr eliminating flight). Or did she use her evil Andi mind-control powers to force Bandi to not give her any orders and instead respond to her points (to which Andi then, naturally, also responded to.) I'm unsure what power you think Andi has that she could force Bandi to do as Andi willed.

If you will notice however, Bandanna never once shows disrespect or agression towards Andi unless treated with such disrespect or agression first. You're again right, the employer should not treat the employees as he pleases. If the employees step out of line and disrepest the employer however, then the employer has every right to punish them in turn. You wouldn't shout at your boss and call him an idiot when all he's doing is his job would you? Why not? Because you might get fired?

Well guess what Andi is doing...
    Let us say that, yes even before going to the Godsmoot Andi committed firing offences. OK. But Andi didn't fire her. She kept her on the ship. Then when they were in disaster mode she decided to scream and get in Andi's face.

Out of curiosity, why did you say "Why not? Because you might get fired?" rather than "Why not? Because your boss might get right up to your face and scream at you?" is it because regardless of how insulting she was or her lack/passive-known-to-Andi-excess* agency, nothing she did justified Andi's first resort of screaming in her face?

*I think its lack, I know at least one person thinks it excess

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I'm truly impressed by this level of dedication.
    Me too! It's amusing, but I'll be surprised if the mods don't shut it down within a few pages now.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

No, what Andi did when she said "we need to turn it around!" was try to push Bandana out of her job--being the captain--and give an order which was, and has been proven, a catastrophically bad one. Attempting to frame it as "Employers should treat their employees with respect!" is a blatant power play; Andi treated Bandana with contempt and explicitly expressed contempt for her ever since she was put in charge, while Bandana even now has done nothing comparable back. No one is obligated to refrain from raising their voice when someone yells at them, "You stubborn little brat, why won't you ever just do what I tell you to do?!?"
    May I ask why you did not feel it worth answering the "Why did Andi run on deck if she intended a lengthy browbeating" point.

Claiming that all Bandi did was raise her voice is an outright lie.

Hamish: are you saying that if someone bears a grudge on you since you were nine years old then that justifies getting in their face and screaming at them? Is that a general: Andi is of low moral character and thus anything goes?