New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    This is kinda an awkward question, but what is the proper method (if there is one) for me to point out an apparent rules problem that a judge appears to have missed?
    The normal dispute process is you PM Thurbane and he'll post it anonymously in the thread for the judge to react to.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    Right. I took what you mentioned into consider now

Well actually the rule say he not allowed to say anything at all. But Im OK if he thinks it is important so I told him to pm me. He not the competitor of the build you see
    The rule in the OP stems from a round where disputes from the sidelines caused issues. This is why every dispute should be run through the chairman.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thats why I told him pm since only builder can dispute
    Which you shouldn't have done. Instead tell him to pm the chairman and Thurbane can decide whether the dispute is necessary and forward it to you anonymiously or deem it not relevant. Every dispute is filtered by the chairman to guarantee a civilized dispute process which shouldn't mean that anything happened this round that is a major problem but it is just a safety measure.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thats why I told him pm since only builder can dispute
    I believe the reasoning behind curbing sideline rules corrections on the judges was so that judges wouldn't have to defend their judging from a million people who view something differently and to put any defense of the build in the builder's hands. That way judges are under less flak from people who don't really have any cards in the competition.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    This is kinda an awkward question, but what is the proper method (if there is one) for me to point out an apparent rules problem that a judge appears to have missed?
    The correct method, as per the OP, is to wait until AFTER the final reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    The normal dispute process is you PM Thurbane and he'll post it anonymously in the thread for the judge to react to.
    That's actually not correct either.

It's not for any spectators to comment on the legality or any other issues with an entry.

If someone feels strongly enough that they simply MUST comment on it, then commit to full judging and post the issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    I believe the reasoning behind curbing sideline rules corrections on the judges was so that judges wouldn't have to defend their judging from a million people who view something differently and to put any defense of the build in the builder's hands. That way judges are under less flak from people who don't really have any cards in the competition.
    And that is exactly the point, thank you.

Similar instances have seriously derailed previous competitions.

In the op it say not to mention it but if you think it really important Im OK if you pm me
    And knowing full well it was the wrong thing, you asked to be PMd anyway.

I'm getting close to enacting another ban here. Please consider this a first and final warning.

In fact, I'm getting close to quitting this thing all together. Although I suspect that's what some people want, so part of me wants to stubbornly stick with it.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW SOMETHING WORKS, PM ME (AND ONLY ME) AND WAIT FOR AN ANSWER! THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY! NO VIGILANTE JUDGING OR TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT ESTABLISHED COMPETITION RULES!

I'm getting really sick of people trying to pre-empt me or question how I do things.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Here are the disputes so far. In case I need to spell it out, please reply to these publically, in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgaal
    Thanks for judging Yklikt! One dispute:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt
    Elegance: 4 One problem, Corpsecrafter feat line. It is useless for you. Other than that I see no problems with the build.
    Ulgaal creates hordes of undead with his SLA Create Undead and Animate Dead and all of those gain the buffs of the corpsecrafter feat line. Can you go into more detail why that is useless? Do you think that the Corpsecrafter feat line doesn't work with Spell like abilities because I am almost 100% sure they do. Spell like abilities are spells cast but cannot be changed by metamagic feats. The Corpsecrafter line of feats are not metamagic feats, they simply apply to all necromancy spells casted to create undead, no matter if it is an SLA or not.
    There may be another to follow.

PS are the forums acting really glitchy for anyone else recently? In the last couple of days, some threads won;t load, or won't load a reply screen properly?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry If I made you mad Thurbane, But the guy who wanted to pm is not a builder of the thing. Because Im not sure you got that.
    Yes, I amended my post after I realised.

I value your judging, we are always grateful for someone to take the time to judge.

If you ever have any questions about how things are done here, please ask me and wait for a reply. Do not make your own call on how things should be handled.

Judges have freedom on their judging criteria; this does not mean they get to selectively ignore established rules or procedures.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Wow Thurbane, if you are this stressed maybe you should let someone take over, give you a break.
    Taking over for some time would be no problem for me. Just tell me if you'd like me to.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Taking over for some time would be no problem for me. Just tell me if you'd like me to.
    I'm not stressed as such, just getting frustrated with a couple of forum users.

I'll be fine, but thanks for the offer.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

We seem a bit short on judges, so I'll throw my name into the ring. Might not be able to complete them until Thursday though, today and tomorrow are going to be busy.

First time judge too, so I'll have to recheck how people judged in the past few competitions and make a framework for myself

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry for sparking such a controversy, everyone. I'll make sure to comply with the competition rules in the future.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm not stressed as such, just getting frustrated with a couple of forum users.
    Don´t fret. Cool competition so far, amusing, educating and a good read. Job Well done. (Now get over your PF bias :D)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    PS are the forums acting really glitchy for anyone else recently? In the last couple of days, some threads won;t load, or won't load a reply screen properly?
    yep! I have had that happening to me in the last couple days, it is soooo annoying
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Don´t fret. Cool competition so far, amusing, educating and a good read. Job Well done. (Now get over your PF bias :D)
    You know, you could always step up and be the Chairman of your very own Pathfinder Optimization contest!

Not sure what you'd call it. Iron Chef Optimization - Pathfinder edition? Who knows? But there's plenty of room to explore. For reference, here are the various optimization contest that run or have run here in the past:

• Iron Chef Optimization - Take the ingredient (a crummy Prestige Class) and make a good build out of it.
    • Zinc Saucier - Try to make a build that functions identically to the ingredient without actually using the ingredient.
    • Junkyard Wars - Use Ingredient A & B, but you cannot use Ingredient C. (For an example, use Conjuration (Healing) spells + Ruby Knight Vindicator, but you can't use Cleric).
    • Scrap Iron Chef - I think this one involved a required ingredient and ... a theme?
    • Villainous Competition - Build a Villain that fits the theme and has the required elements. Runs on CR.

I feel like I'm missing one more, but can't recall at the moment.

I don't know Pathfinder well, but I'm sure there's an option that could work.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

But then he cannot compete
    Hmm, good point.

Florian, if you are interested in an Optimization Comp that features Pathfinder, I'll make you a deal. Help me set it up, and I'll chair it. Given my lack of Pathfinder knowledge, I'd make a terrible contestant or judge, but I could probably manage the Chairman seat. Spin off a separate thread to discuss it (and let folks chip in) if you are interested.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-07-11 at 11:55 AM.

Signature of Holding

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Disputes part two:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dirge
    Hey, so someone apparently started PMing judges that my admission doesn't work by the rules. I don't want to post anything directly in the thread because I don't want to mess up the blind judging, so I thought maybe I would PM you? As stated in my entry, The Sea Dirge was created by an epic spell. I didn't go into the specifics of the spell or the caster as I thought that was outside the bounds of the competition, but as you can see here:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Life_(Epic_Spell_Seed)

according to the second and third paragraphs it works just fine. I don't know the rules here that well but if you passing that along to the thread is allowed, I'd appreciate it, since someone already broke the rules (I think that is against the rules?) by talking to judges about rules issues with my entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dirge
    Just confirm in the thread that my monster (The Sea Dirge) has a legitimate way of working by the rules, and that the person who claimed otherwise was both mistaken and that it was against the rules for them to PM judges about it. I'm hoping that's all that is necessary, as the only person who has judged thus far lowered my score after getting a PM from someone claiming my entry was no good.
    ...a note to entrants, if you want me to post disputes, please post verbatim what you want me to post. Thanks.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Thanks.

I hear your pain about PF, but as others have suggested, maybe start up a comp for a PF equivalent.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The two disputes/posts is due to a reply to me, so don't hold it against the entry.

It's up to individual judges, but generally speaking if the info wasn't present at time of posting, the judge will base judgement only on what was in the reveal post.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies- I'd hoped to get all of the judging done today, but due to travel difficulties (turns out when the bus company say one stop, they really mean another), I'll be doing it piece by piece on mobile. So yeah, if I miss something, which I probably will since first time and mobile is a fun combo, definitely do call it out in a dispute.

As for my judging criteria, I'm shamelessly cribbing them from Inevitability and Greydeath.

Spoiler: Originality
    Show

-Start at 1.
    -If the race is something I've never really seen before? Up to +1.
    - Would I expect the classes in a normal game? Another +1 is up for grabs here.
    - Are the classes, race or fluff something I'd expect given the competition criteria? Differs from the first two points in that something can be uncommon in regular games, but still be expected given the theme. I'll give up to 0.75 for each of the three for a maximum total of 1.5.
    - Does it do a trick that's not something you'd normally see? Room for another 0.5 here.

Spoiler: Elegance
    Show

Starting at 3 here.

Up to +2.0 for "Single Class+Prestige Class Build, fully legal, no cheese. Note that taking multiple prestige classes is fine so long as you take them fully.
    Up to +1.0 for "not overly complicated, fully legal, no cheese)

Up to -1 for excessive Dipping (more than 2, and for obvious, always done things) Taking large amounts of multiple classes is better than taking small amounts of lots of classes.
    Up to -1.5 for Illegalities of any colour that are not explicitly forbidden in the rules if it was theoretically possible for the build to work without them.
    -0.1 for each flaw, with a maximum penalty of -0.25 in this area.

Auto 1.0 if there is an Illegality that is explicitly forbidden in the rules and the build does not work without it.

(Yup, pretty much copy and pasted from Greydeath. Hope he doesn't mind, but I feel like this is the criteria that makes the most sense - for me I'll be focusing on it mechanically in this section. Note that while you might get penalised for dipping, if you do it in an original way (so, for example, not a 2 level dip in Barbarian) I'll probably end up giving points back with the originality section)

Spoiler: Power
    Show

First off, a disclaimer. Power is one of those things that both varies from table to table, and concept to concept. I'm predominantly going to judge this off of how well you achieve what you set out to do. In other words, mundanes typically have a lower bar here.

Starting score is 3, minimum score of 1.

-Requiring specific magic items is up to -1 unless you can either craft said items yourself. If it's a magic weapon, so long as the weapon is fairly interchangable (eg your entire strategy isn't centered around specific enchantments), that's fine and will not incur a penalty.
    -Glaring weaknesses that aren't intentional as part of the concept are up to -1. If you're the wicked witch of the west, melting when a girl throws a bucket of water at you won't be penalised here, if you catch my drift.
    - Can't do what you set out to do? Up to another -1 here. If you're a fighter I expect you to be able to hold your own in a fight. Casters are expected to be able to cast, and so on.
    -Did you aim too low? While it's fine to have intentional weaknesses due to your concept, and I'm not expecting you to be Pun Pun, you do need to be a threat in some way. Up to -1 for this.

- Able to be a threat in multiple ways? Up to +1.5 here. Being threatening both in combat and outside of combat will score highly here.
    -Able to do what you set out to do? Up to another 0.5 available here, depending on how high you set that bar for yourself.

Spoiler: Memorability
    Show

Largely based off of how likely it is I'd remember your villain a while from now if I were to play in a campaign against them. Starts at 1 here, as always a minimum of 1 point.
    - Got an interesting trick to prevent it from just being another fight? Up to +1 here.
    - Got interesting fluff? Up to 2 points here.
    - Am I going to remember why I fought them, or will it just be because they were there? Up to + or - 1 point, depending on the answer.
    Last edited by Gellhorn; 2017-07-13 at 08:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whelp, don't know how I did that. Fixed!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

So, how soon to expect first judging?
    I was just about to ask you how your judging is coming along, as it looks like you still have about 6 to go.

Signature of Holding

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Judges so slow and unreliable now
    Don't discourage new judges.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Judges so slow and unreliable now
    Obviously it is because we no longer have your greatness and guidance to help all of us see the way.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow, novolin deleted a post before I could report it, what a shock! Thanks for quoting, people.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Oh wow, novolin deleted a post before I could report it, what a shock! Thanks for quoting, people.
    I reported it

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not mind Gellhorn, rather the opposite.

Also I.will have.time.to.judge tomorrow and.sunday, all.should be up then unless.i run into something.really strange...;)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope I can finish then also.

Gray death, why so many period
    Because some of us post from a phone, and at times it is hard to differentiate between the space and period button, and once it is typed it is hardly worth the effort to fix it when no meaning is lost.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes sense

What I surprised actually is that not more disputes.
    Now allow me to counter with my own question. Instead of using the edit button, like it is designed for, why do you delete your post, then repost it mildly changed?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I dont really know what is counter meaning in this, but because if I have something new to say it look more ugly to have two post next to each other from same person.

If someone already has post after then it looks okay to just post
    Just use the edit button. That's what it's for.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

So, I was thinking that maybe we should have a few rounds with more restrictions, in the manner of some of the earlier Villainous Competitions.

The last few rounds have had rather loose requirements for villains and as good as that is for variety I find myself somewhat missing the challenge of fulfilling more challenging requirements.