New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Bruce Wayne funds Batman!

Well, a new Batman series is coming out: Batman Inc.

In it, Bruce Wayne reveals that he has been funding Batman for years. Now, there will be "Batmen" all over the world.

And no one is going to suspect that he is Batman? I mean, sure divert attention from yourself and all, but someone is going to investigate...

What's the Playground's thoughts? I think that this actually has some potential, but I'm not sure if I would like it if it became the norm.
    Last edited by Erts; 2010-11-04 at 04:51 PM.
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Bruce Wayne funds Batman!

Sounds kind of dumb. Now there are going to be more Batman? Can anyone live up to the high standard Bruce Wayne has set? Genius intellect, master martial artist, expert detective.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Sounds kind of dumb. Now there are going to be more Batman? Can anyone live up to the high standard Bruce Wayne has set? Genius intellect, master martial artist, expert detective.
    I don't think that's really the point, no one is going to surpass Bruce.
    But **** has been Batman for the past year and a half when Bruce was gone. Plus, not everywhere in the world is as bad as Gotham and need a Batman as good as Bruce.

EDIT: Oh yes, **** is blocked.
    Well, young master Richard Grayson.
    Last edited by Erts; 2010-11-04 at 05:05 PM.

-Voltaire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Conservation of Ninjutsu applies, ergo all the "mini-bats" will suck.

(It applies double since Batman is technically a ninja.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Conservation of Ninjutsu applies, ergo all the "mini-bats" will suck.

(It applies double since Batman is technically a ninja.)
    Doesn't that mean Bruce will suck too?
    And I think that only works when they are all in the same place... Trope probably isn't powerful enough to work across the world.

-Voltaire

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    Doesn't that mean Bruce will suck too?
    If he fights alongside them, yes. If he only dons the costume once his flunkies have been mass-murdered (you know they're going to do that eventually), then no.

And I think that only works when they are all in the same place... Trope probably isn't powerful enough to work across the world.
    Around the world, they will beat the tar out of muggers, bank robbers and other faceless mooks. But Joker, Penguin etc. will tear through dozens of them at once.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7

Around the world, they will beat the tar out of muggers, bank robbers and other faceless mooks. But Joker, Penguin etc. will tear through dozens of them at once.
    Who will luckily still be in Gotham, probably. I mean, look at Nightwing.

-Voltaire

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

And this is why Im pritty much dumping DC and Marvel.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Either they will all be awesome and badass, which will reduce the impact and meaning of Batman and ruin him.

Or they will all be pathetic and weak, which will make them simply annoying and mar the image of Batman.

This does not sound like a good idea.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Either they will all be awesome and badass, which will reduce the impact and meaning of Batman and ruin him.

Or they will all be pathetic and weak, which will make them simply annoying and mar the image of Batman.

There is a good argument.

Agreed, to an extent. I think that they will try it for a year, find out it doesn't work, and go back to what we really want.

-Voltaire

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I think that this could work out well. In theory. It could make for interesting and well thought out stories. This is a Golden Opportunity to get some new and interesting ideas into the Batman mythos, and it wont remove Bruce Wayne as the main Batman. This is an opportunity for several seams of high grade win with a new look at an old idea.

HOWEVER.

That assumes a strong but delicate editorial presence, keeping the tone and overall details clear and giving the guidance the writers will need to keep this idea consistent over several lines. It will also need writers who can pick up this idea, people willing to use the new Batmen and hit the balance of Bat mythos and new person. It will take real co-ordination and commitment.

Yeah, I am not all that confident.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

But won't this have repercussions as he is funding a vigilante (Batman)? Can't he be sued now for anything Batman does?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    But won't this have repercussions as he is funding a vigilante (Batman)? Can't he be sued now for anything Batman does?
    Yeah, go on. Sue Batman's funder. Sue the man who enabled vast numbers of people to be saved from a life of terror. Sue the man who made sure that The Joker, The Riddler, Mr Freeze (and so on) got put away. Sue a man who may be one of the most popular men in the world. You would be lynched on your way to the court!

Sue that man, and do it through a legal team of the world's best lawyers, because he can afford them. To have a good chance of winning a lawsuit in the USA you need to have the better lawyer or a public swell of opinion. This guy will have neither.

Bruce is not stupid, if written well he will have thought of this.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14

Don't worry, they won't.

Ding ding ding!

This is all a ploy to make the fans grumble "they're ruining batman!" Then later Bruce for some reason cuts funding to Bat Inc. and we're left with one caped crusader to cheer on again. Yay!

Coke pulled this exact same stunt with Coca Cola classic. DC by killing Supes (again and again.) Marvel by revealing Spiderman's true identity. Pepsi with Tropicana and Gap with their logo. Expect the about-face soon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15

What about competent and easily corrupted?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I don't think that's really the point, no one is going to surpass Bruce.
    Why not?
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I think its about time, Bruce Wayne could use the sleep. I mean seriously, patrolling Gotham City at night, filling the role of a billionaire playboy by day, and running his company in between has got to take its toll.

Seriously though, I think the idea has merit, but I don’t think they’ll pull it off well enough to make it work.
    I can imagine this ‘batcorps” as being something akin to what Wayne though the league of shadows was going to be in Batman Begins. Instead it turned out to be just as bad as the very corruption they claimed to be fighting against.

Also on the subject of sueing Wayne, that’s got to take a lot of guts to sue one of the richest men in the world. He can afford high priced lawyers, can you? Not to mention you'll look like a tool. kind of like those people that sue the police after being shot (by the cops), and that sort of BS.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2010-11-04 at 06:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

It's by Grant Morrison.

I believe in Grant Morrison.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Um, why is everyone assuming that we will see much of the other Batmen at all? I thought they would be operating in other cities.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    It's by Grant Morrison.

I believe in Grant Morrison.
    What Niel said.

Assuming you're named Niel.

If not, I apologize.

Not saying the man can do no wrong, but what I've read of Batman and Robin (tradewaiting. Shameful, I know) says he knows what he's on about.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer the Batman who works alone; I really don't want to see a Justice League full of Batmen. But that's just me.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I think its about time, Bruce Wayne could use the sleep. I mean seriously, patrolling Gotham City at night, filling the role of a billionaire playboy by day, and running his company in between has got to take its toll.
    "Billionaire playboy" is really not that hard a job.

I mean, if SHE can do it....
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I prefer the Batman who works alone; I really don't want to see a Justice League full of Batmen. But that's just me.
    I am now picturing this.

Batman enters the room. The camera shifts for a moment, and when it returns all the seats have been filled with Batmen. They sit around silently for a few minutes in the Gendo pose, then one of them nods. Suddenly all of them are gone again, the meeting concluded.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-04 at 07:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    As long as you don't kill anyone and hand over all the people you catch to the police vigilantism is actually legal in most parts of the US, though Gotham might have different rules. Citizen's arrest and all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Billionaire playboy" is really not that hard a job.
    Oh, come on. Do you even see how many bones Bruce Wayne breaks in a year being a billionaire playboy? I bet he spends half the year in physical therapy.

Frankly, I think you'll wish that it was a Justice League filled with Batmans. In truth, it will be a Green Lantern Corps of Batmans. You'll have the Batman of Metropolis, the Batman of Washington, the Batman of Star City, the Batman of London, the Batman of Cleveland. You'll have the fat Batman and the angry Batman and the geek Batman and alien Batmans and, of course, a couple of girl Batmans.

It's an idea that has potential to explore. But it seems like a bit of a rip-off of New Krypton and it is also far too obvious that the next mega-arc is going to be the next generation of Bane or Black Mask or whoever running around killing all of the sub-Batmans to lure Bruce Wayne to reclaim his mantle in two years.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Oh, come on. Do you even see how many bones Bruce Wayne breaks in a year being a billionaire playboy? I bet he spends half the year in physical therapy.
    Could he not pass the broken bones off as a "going through a rough time, but I'll really change this time, I promise" type of thing? He only directly deals with his cabal of family and assistants, after all.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

He may secretly be the World's Greatest Detective, but I think that the average person in the DC Universe thinks of Bruce Wayne as the World's Worst Skier.

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Just how big is Wayne Enterprises anyway?

I thought it was firmly in the territory of "mega-international corporation" but was still counted as fairly small-fry compared to, say, LexCorp. That could have changed since the No Man's Land arc that I remember seeing that expressly mentioned in, though.

Also, yeah. It's now child's play for anyone and their grandmother with the least knowledge of Batman to deduce who Batman is. Not that it should've been particularly hard before, but still. How's Bruce gonna protect everyone he's ever been close to, and how is the rest of the Batman family not gonna be found out as well?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    He may secretly be the World's Greatest Detective, but I think that the average person in the DC Universe thinks of Bruce Wayne as the World's Worst Skier.
    Second greatest.

DC doesn't stand for Bruce Wayne
    eh
    t i
    em
    cp
    t
    i
    v
    e
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

How's he going to recruit people? Also, isn't there already a group of people who try to keep the world safe? You know, the Justice League, that thing he's kind of a part of.